As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Galaxy S9

MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
I'll give this forum a shot just to see if anyone has noticed this and might have some ideas.

I recently upgraded from a GS4 all the way to a GS9. I know, I wait a really long time between upgrades. ;) I've noticed that when I view the Penny Arcade strips in landscape mode that I can see less of the comic than I could on the GS4. Since I still have the old phone I figured I would compare side by side and I think it's because the image itself is just bigger on the GS9. To be honest, it doesn't cause much of an issue as far as reading the comics go, but if I have the top of the comic lined up with the top edge of the screen, there is enough of the bottom portion missing that I feel the need to scroll down to see if I missed anything.

I see that there are three resolution options and that the default was the middle one ("FHD+" 2220x1080). There is also WQHD+ 2960x1440 and HD+ 1480x720. I tried switching between those in the hopes that it would be like my PC where everything would increase or decrease in size depending on which way I adjusted, but that doesn't appear to be the case on the phone. In truth, I don't even see a difference when I change the resolution and hit the "apply" button...

I could probably see the whole comic on the screen if the PA site's toolbar didn't remain on the screen even when I scroll up. (I just noticed that the toolbar doesn't do that in portrait mode. Interesting....)

Anyone have any tips? If not, maybe I'll just start zooming in on portrait mode and read one box at a time. I suppose that would make some punchlines more of a surprise. :)

EDIT: If this should be in some other forum feel free to move it.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
MarcinMN on

• Options
    Here are a couple of screens just for comparison's sake.

GS4 screen:
    ej38mic28has.jpg

GS9 screen:
    ev412equ18n0.jpg

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Seems like the site's stylesheet autosizes the comic to your screen width, and your newer phone has a ' wider' aspect ratio.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Seems like the site's stylesheet autosizes the comic to your screen width, and your newer phone has a ' wider' aspect ratio.

That seems likely based on what I'm seeing. When held in the upright position, the screen is very close to the same width as the GS4, but it is noticeably longer from end to end. On the GS9 I can hide the navigation bar seen on the left, but then the comic stretches out to fill that space, which results in even more of the bottom portion being cut off. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a setting to hide the status bar on the top. At least not in the "legitimate" settings anyway.

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    it's because the app switch button/home button/back button bar on the side that the GS4 does not have is squishing the aspect ratio towards more tall and less wide and the browser is resizing the comic to fit in the available horizontal space, yeah.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif