Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The Ananasi are one of those things where they're in a tiny obscure sideline of the second most popular franchise of the second most popular tabletop company and I would read stories about the Ananasi forever because they slap and there is no fiction written about the Ananasi because no one has ever played it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/OBwf2r1SQkU

That sounds incredible I'd have for sure played spider horde. Like that's just conceptually so cool! You'd get to use the royal we a lot and talk like a Borg when you're not trying to blend in with the meat or whatever I'm gonna have to do some reading now oh my god

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm ambivalent towards Nightmare Before Christmas as a whole

But man, that Oogie-Boogie song is top notch

• Options
    The Ananasi also have poisonous fangs and in their giant spiderbastard form can weave silk that's as strong as steel. When they're in their horde form, they can also just like, manifest a human head out of the spiders and talk to people. People who are now permanently traumatised.

• Options
    I would link to their wiki page but it has a big picture of a floppy titted spider lady

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I still want to make a bard/cleric that focuses on oratory, eulogy, formal wailing and such for the deaths of notable figures (but also even commoners - everyone's life should be remembered and mourned), and probably has an anti-undead bent. Unfortunately the class requirements are so different I just have never been able to figure out how to make it work.

Cleric's hard to make work with just about anything in a multiclass build, just because the kit doesn't synergize well with a lot of what the other classes bring to the table.

Might be worth taking a look at Paladin, if only because it seems like Oath of Redemption or even Oath of Devotion could work well with that character conceit.

Maybe just use a Cleric of the Grave domain, with the Entertainer background, and then take the Magic Initiate feat on Bard, using it for Friends, Vicious Mockery, and Unearthly Chorus.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Alrighty, folks here what play pathfinder:

Friends of mine had someone drop out of their campaign and now they need me to join in as a 13 level character in a pretty minmaxed party.

Melee damage bruiser is what they lost, was a high mobility monk tank. I don't need to be exactly the same or anything but that's the gap in the party composition.

Any places I should start looking in terms of class or build?

13 is really high level and the point where magic dominates.
    It is also well past the point where many opponents can fly and have reach. For most melee, the challenge is to set up a full attack without getting hit back, or grappled etcet.

Inquisitors and Warpriests do well at melee, but can do more than melee. Both can cast spells, and at 13th level you hit their 5th spell levels. There's good stuff there.
    Both do a lot better with somewhat limited encounters a day, though at level 13 that number is...5 or so. The difference between them is Inquisitors have more skills, but Warpriests can heal and choose their spells each day, and cast them as a swift action.

Swashbucklers are a strong melee class against single foes. Parry is an amazing layer of defense. They do a lot of damage without going totally crazy.

Monks are the king of mobility, but at L13 Dimensional Assault builds are possible through many avenues. And teleport+attack is hard to beat.

If you say what you would like to play, I may have more ideas. There are nearly 30 base classes and a ton of archetypes.

One hint: Use the Archives of Nethys to look stuff up, not the wiki you find as a first result.
    Nethys is way more accurate and crucially does not have 3rd party stuff.

I'm a real fan of high level totem barbarian. 1st totem pick bear to gain resistance to everything but psychic while raging, 2nd totem is whatever is useful to the party, and 3rd totem at level 14 pick eagle to gain flying up to your movement. Who cares if you fall at the end of the turn, your raging and the damage will be pitiful. Pick up mage slayer and sentinel feats if possible and go to town.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Friends of mine had someone drop out of their campaign and now they need me to join in as a 13 level character in a pretty minmaxed party.

Melee damage bruiser is what they lost, was a high mobility monk tank. I don't need to be exactly the same or anything but that's the gap in the party composition.

It is also well past the point where many opponents can fly and have reach. For most melee, the challenge is to set up a full attack without getting hit back, or grappled etcet.

Inquisitors and Warpriests do well at melee, but can do more than melee. Both can cast spells, and at 13th level you hit their 5th spell levels. There's good stuff there.
    Both do a lot better with somewhat limited encounters a day, though at level 13 that number is...5 or so. The difference between them is Inquisitors have more skills, but Warpriests can heal and choose their spells each day, and cast them as a swift action.

Swashbucklers are a strong melee class against single foes. Parry is an amazing layer of defense. They do a lot of damage without going totally crazy.

Monks are the king of mobility, but at L13 Dimensional Assault builds are possible through many avenues. And teleport+attack is hard to beat.

If you say what you would like to play, I may have more ideas. There are nearly 30 base classes and a ton of archetypes.

One hint: Use the Archives of Nethys to look stuff up, not the wiki you find as a first result.

I'm a real fan of high level totem barbarian. 1st totem pick bear to gain resistance to everything but psychic while raging, 2nd totem is whatever is useful to the party, and 3rd totem at level 14 pick eagle to gain flying up to your movement. Who cares if you fall at the end of the turn, your raging and the damage will be pitiful. Pick up mage slayer and sentinel feats if possible and go to town.

Pathfinder, not 5e, but also that's a dope build.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I briefly played a Bard-esque Ars Magica character

High Presence, could hypnotise people with his music, and needed to play his crwth to cast anything

It was mainly an excuse to come up with shitty music puns, though, as his primary magic was rock-based

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Another fun way to play a Bard is someone akin to Gandalf.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My dislike of bards is probably based on deep problems with my own psyche.

My problem with musicians who make bards is not. "In real life, I make like, music, yeah? And in D&D I make music that like, you know, my music creates magic yeah, like, it's the literal version of what I figuratively do with my song, yeah?" Fuck off. Also if you are any form of artist or musician you are banned from playing a Toreador I demand that you do not @ me.

You er

Doing okay there buddy?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    some scars run deep

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    there's a venom to it that I can't help but respect

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

I remember seeing a ruling that rage doesn't mitigate fall damage.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I picked wolf at level 3...

I should have picked bear but eh.

Aspect of the bear will be good though. Gonna soak all the hits.

I have 21 ac!

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »

It does, see link below. I would image if you fall long enough to come out of rage your SOL though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sageadvice.eu/2017/12/20/does-barbarian-rage-reduce-fall-damage/amp/

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    A duck! wrote: »

It does, see link below. I would image if you fall long enough to come out of rage your SOL though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sageadvice.eu/2017/12/20/does-barbarian-rage-reduce-fall-damage/amp/

Ah, good! With the Shield Master reversal I thought maybe they had gone off the deep end.

• Options
    how many of you went straight to the white wolf wiki to see the floppy titted spider lady

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    By the way folks, with regards to D&D 5E, those Sage Advice tweets aren't actually errata.

WotC had to publish a reminder against using game designers tweets as official rulings.
    Official rulings on how to interpret rules are made here in the Sage Advice Compendium by the game’s lead rules designer, Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford on Twitter). The public statements of the D&D team, or anyone else at Wizards of the Coast, are not official rulings; they are advice. Jeremy Crawford’s tweets are often a preview of rulings that will appear here.

A Dungeon Master adjudicates the game and determines whether to use an official ruling in play. The DM always has the final say on rules questions.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    By the way folks, with regards to D&D 5E, those Sage Advice tweets aren't actually errata.

WotC had to publish a reminder against using game designers tweets as official rulings.
    Official rulings on how to interpret rules are made here in the Sage Advice Compendium by the game’s lead rules designer, Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford on Twitter). The public statements of the D&D team, or anyone else at Wizards of the Coast, are not official rulings; they are advice. Jeremy Crawford’s tweets are often a preview of rulings that will appear here.

A Dungeon Master adjudicates the game and determines whether to use an official ruling in play. The DM always has the final say on rules questions.

Until the release of the Sage Advice Compendium 2019, Crawford's tweets were considered rulings, so most folks are probably still operating under the assumption that's still the case

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I generally don't care about sage advice unless i can't come up with a ruling of my own, and at that point it's still just a suggestion

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yea, as a DM I would rule the fall damage as being reduced unless you fell so long you came out of rage, regardless of the tweet.

I just use the tweets as a 2nd opinion if something comes up.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yea, as a DM I would rule the fall damage as being reduced unless you fell so long you came out of rage, regardless of the tweet.
    If it were me, you only get the damage resistance if you repeatedly punch the ground after you hit it from the fall, to stay in rage. :D If you were grappling someone when you jumped off the cliff, you can punch that thing instead.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So this is pretty much my favorite turn of combat ever, and it only plays a little fast and loose with the rules.

Setting, in an underground city (Somewhere in the underdark playing Out of the Abyss). We were being chased by Drow, and had hid down an alley while a riot was going on. We're all around level 10 or something like that. My character is a Minotaur Totem of the Bear barbarian, so super tanking, and I have a couple special abilities like charge from being a Minotaur.

Anyways, at one point the wizard casts polymorph on me to turn me into an eagle so I can scout unseen near the top of the cavern. This has been going on a bit and at this point it's when the rest of the party hides in the alley. I make a perception check and see two Drow sneaking up, and I'm able to alert the party to them just as the Drow round the corner, so combat but not a surprise.

We roll initiative and I get to go first, I give the wizard a small nod and he nods back and I start my turn. I take my move action and start diving towards one of the Drow screaming all the way, and halfway through I nod at the wizard and he stops concentrating on the polymorph. I turn back into my minotaur and plummet fist first, go into a rage, and do a charge attack against the Drow, using reckless attack. The DM tells me that if I hit that both myself and the Drow will take the fall damage, if I miss I'll just hit the ground. I roll hot and it's a direct hit and the DM rolls near max fall damage.

All thats left is a crater in the ground and a pissed off Minotaur climbing out of it covered in Drow gore.

It was so fun, I'm really glad our DM lets us be creative within the bounds of good sportsmanship. Everyone in the group has had awesome rounds like that in their own ways. I really try to take that spirit to the games I run too.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out Creature Codex for 5E? There's some cool/weird monsters in that book! I don't know how well put together they are mechanically, but there's no way I'm not using this:

a1jg56ie3646.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    gotta make sure to put a pirate skeleton in there draped dramatically across the treasure only OH NO IT'S WAKING UP O: SHOCK AND SURPRISE

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    It's a source of tremendous annoyance to me that no one has ever run a game of Changing Breeds in the history of time because you can be bother a werebear and a werespider and they're equally fucking badass.

I came close to getting one off the ground once in college, but couldn't quite find enough people that weren't unbearable. Of course getting anyone to try something that wasn't D&D when I was in college was like pulling teeth.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    how many of you went straight to the white wolf wiki to see the floppy titted spider lady

I feel like you're knocking her knockers hard here, tbf

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Big painting project is about 85% completed! Just some more detailing and cleaning up, then a wash and a varnish, and it'll be done!

Spoilers for the end of Storm King's Thunder:

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    for some reason the picture of the half naked spider lady is extremely funny to me

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I played secret hitler over the weekend, its a real fun game but its very difficult to play a fascist when your boyfriend is on the other team and can read you like a damn book

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I played secret hitler over the weekend, its a real fun game but its very difficult to play a fascist when your boyfriend is on the other team and can read you like a damn book

Play aggressively honest to muck with everyone else at the table and dilute the vote. At least that’s how I respond when people start figuring stuff out in traitor games.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Play aggressively honest to muck with everyone else at the table and dilute the vote. At least that’s how I respond when people start figuring stuff out in traitor games.

We did win one game where he, once again, figured out/guessed on turn one that I was on the fascists team

What helped get us there was I got the first investigation power and I checked an innocent person and told them all she was liberal and that poisoned her vote for the entire rest of the game because everyone assumed I was covering for another fascist

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    hey we finished Storm King's Thunder tonight

I'm super tired so I'll probably write up the sum of my thoughts about it tomorrow or something, but it was a really solid campaign for its style and the finale did feel suitably climactic with some of the adjustments I made.

Some photos of the finale, spoilers for the final chapter of Storm King's Thunder
    51612653_10110677117567620_6717218075147501568_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeFbicepARAE_RZLsVLoJXOtE_zNXtS5Ev9fhIPqfNAOODF9Ta5yz1a9y1_PqcwT9OtCoIsVOd94mh_txDd_4IXNNQAC8tvavm1oMMkRQRpOKQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fper5-1.fna&oh=52411404920407124e3e866050eab206&oe=5CF2E9F8

51381932_10110677117991770_3752749677997457408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_eui2=AeE6g3dZFmZk1Hb8WLfsJX5ZM6wClEunncDxWS1BC-7mhULXk72tzIWwUajfHnuteHAYbOiGSiBnMvM18_1nDhkohHIL-6eoTtRkUrRUAUk7vQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fper5-1.fna&oh=45a8722b70caefd404c0a14f1fd8c5eb&oe=5CF8048C

• Options
    I actually pretty much won a game of monikers against my friend and her husband who usually rock the game due to their mutual understanding being so fine tuned. Or well, we really did well in the third round. It was a three duo game, two couples and me and the other odd man out.

I kinda wanna back that new game the one guy is kickstartering. It's something with a randomized gauge and cards with two words and you gotta give a clue to get them to guess a midpoint on a gradient between the two concepts represented on the gauge. And get points for being close.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

there is no shame in my description.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Possible spoilers for STK:
    I'm the lizard barbarian on the stairs, Irhtos Goldfellow.

Irhtos at the start of the fight: "You make a pretty storm, dragon. But all the storms of the world cannot match MY fury!"

Irhtos after taking a few blows to the head: "Augh! Bite me? I'll bite you!" *Bites dragon*

Butler on
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

there is no shame in my description.

I think they are good spider lady boobies

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Possible spoilers for STK:
    I'm the lizard barbarian on the stairs, Irhtos Goldfellow.

Irhtos at the start of the fight: "You make a pretty storm, dragon. But all the storms of the world cannot match MY fury!"

Irhtos after taking a few blows to the head: "Augh! Bite me? I'll bite you!" *Bites dragon*

I'm mad I didn't realize I wanted to play a lizardfolk barbarian sooner, like before I played that ranger

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I think I was supposed to get something done, like....a week ago

Results are in for the final round of the 2019 SE++ Tabletop Claw & Maw Class Clash!

Vote Tallies:
    Paladin - 26
    Rogue - 21
    Warlord - 21
    Sorcerer - 21
    Cleric - 11
    Artificer - 10

With 26 votes, Paladin is officially the best D&D class!

But what about our runners-up? You goddamn nerds made it a three-way tie between Rogue, Warlord, and Sorcerer, which means it comes down to the tie-breaker question: who fucks the best?

Artificer only got 1 vote, which I feel like is almost worse than getting 0 votes.
    Sorcerer received 8 votes, because I guess magic doesn't matter much if you don't also have variety.
    Paladin got 9 votes and is the middle of the pack. Sure, they can give you a holy touch, but they prefer missionary style with the lights on so their god can watch.
    Warlord got 11 votes, 'cuz y'all are all bottoms looking for a skilled top.
    And Rogue...also got 11 votes.

Y'all are killing me.

So in the power vested in me arbitrarily, here are the official rankings

1st Place: Paladin
    2nd Place: Warlord and Rogue
    3rd Place: Sorcerer

IKknkhU.gif