As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What seems crazy to me is that like I was watching King Golathion for a lil bit and he was like "I'll probably only get a hundred to two hundred game play hours out of anthem" and man gamers are crazy when that's seen as a negative? Like seriously?

Not that crazy, given who it is talking about it. I had a good 300 hours into D2 on Xbox before walking away from it. I can't see Anthem getting that much time just because there's not nearly as much content. The lack of content at launch is really troubling. I'm not buying it at launch for that reason, annnnnd I have 400 other things to play now that I think about it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, I'm really excited and the game is coming out at the perfect point for me where I can binge it on a long weekend right after a work conference and not long before a content drop in Destiny so I'm sort of out of stuff to do in that game, but based on what they've shown so far I don't see it having the kind of legs that Destiny has for me. I think I'll play it a lot for a few weeks, get my Javelins some good end-game gear, and then jump back into Destiny when Joker's Wild comes out in March. Maybe revisit Anthem when they drop some new stuff.

Which I think is fine! It's fine for games to not hold your attention perpetually. But this is the problem with trying to make Live Services games these days: literally everyone is doing it, and a lot of people have already chosen the game that they use as their main thing. They're invested, they have groups of people they play it with, etc. I think any brand new game trying to rope those players is in for a very hard time.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nosf wrote: »
    What seems crazy to me is that like I was watching King Golathion for a lil bit and he was like "I'll probably only get a hundred to two hundred game play hours out of anthem" and man gamers are crazy when that's seen as a negative? Like seriously?

Not that crazy, given who it is talking about it. I had a good 300 hours into D2 on Xbox before walking away from it. I can't see Anthem getting that much time just because there's not nearly as much content. The lack of content at launch is really troubling. I'm not buying it at launch for that reason, annnnnd I have 400 other things to play now that I think about it.

I need to know the number of missions before writing off the amount of content. From the demo, the missions have multiple segments, open unique locations, and have their own mechanics. If the meat of the game is "Interact with NPCs at hub > multi-mission chain" then it might have a lot aside from the strongholds, which seem more like the quick multiplayer pick-up equivalent of Destiny's strikes than full-blown raid/mission alternatives.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I had no idea you could play as Zach Effron in this game...

NHqIF5J.png

Does it truly count if you never see his abs?

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I didn't put 300 hours total into all the games I played in 2018. I might have come close in 2017 because of Zelda and Horizon, but definitely not 2018. I'll be happy if I get 80-100 hours out of this game.
    Bobble wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I had no idea you could play as Zach Effron in this game...

NHqIF5J.png

Does it truly count if you never see his abs?

You're probably right... :D

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'd grouse about the lack of actual player character customization, but when you're thin on actual gameplay adding more frills for the social space probably isn't a priority.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I played the demo a lot, and even in the little corner of the world we had I'm not sure I saw all the different mission types? Actually, I might have, I'm not sure. :| It does seem like Freeplay could potentially have a lot to do, even if it is same-y. Here's all the things I saw:

Spoilered because it's kinda spoiler-y.
    • Destroy enemy base [Scar, Dominion, Outlaw, and Scorpion (eggs)]
    • Destory Scorpion swarm
    • Assist Sentinels [Usually Outlaws/Scars]
    • Assist Freelancer Dead/Alive [Scars only I think?]
    • Silence Shaper Relic [Scar/Ursix, stupid stupid HP sponge Ursix]
    • Silence Shaper Relic with Echoes > Kill Lesser Titan (in the Well or whatever it was called)
    • Open Shaper vaults [Scar/wildlife]
    • Rescue kidnapped Arcanist > Scar mini-dungeon > destroy Scar explosives (this one was in Blackshore in a Scar cave and I only saw it once but it was a nice surprise quest chain)

Was there an event connected with the Necro-place that the last mission takes place in? Every time I went in there it was just filled with outlaw thugs.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Just because 300,000 people are watching Ninja play something doesn't mean they're also buying or playing it. I think streamers and the number of viewers are way less important than people give credit for.

I haven't played DOTA2 in 4 years. I still watch TI once in a while.

I'll be happy if my girlfriend and I have a fun thing to do for a month or so on our nights after work.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the body odor in that thing.

I hope it has a really good fan / cooling / air circulation system.

A buddy of mine couldn't help but comment on that frequently. It seemed to impact him on a very visceral level.

As for sales figures, they have a target for the end of March, which is over 5 weeks after release. Let's not confuse that target with day 1 sales. It's entirely reasonable to be cautious and restrained, but if the word of mouth gets out in the first few days and weeks, there's lots of time for it to sell piles and piles of copies.

I also don't want to see EA setting them up to fail with unrealistic sales projections. Selling 4.5 million copies (or whatever) in the first month would be amazing, and yet I'm sure we'd still see articles calling it a failure and a flop, some spurned by the aforementioned desire to see EA/Bioware suffer for their sins (real and imagined alike).

Only time will tell, but yeah, while the demo had some issues (especially that first weekend), the actual gameplay is super fun, and I hope more people are willing to give it a shot. Even a buddy of mine who is, frankly, pretty closed minded and seemed to be gearing up to hate the game no matter what, he ended up running an Interceptor for much of the free weekend and enjoying it.

Whether the demo net helped or hurt, I think the other aspect to appreciate is that they did it at all. So few companies seem to be willing to release anything early, let alone an hour or two of content for free to everyone for an entire weekend, warts and all. It's a bit tiresome even for me when I say "I hope it's true that most or all of this is fixed at release", but I really do hope that both they've covered the major issues already, and that they're taking valuable player feedback to further improve before it lands next week (for the EAEA folks). By the time most of us get our hands on it again, it'll have an entire quarter of a year of improvements in place (aside from the tweaks to an admittedly old offshoot branch of development).

I remain cautiously optimistic, and don't fault anyone for wanting to wait, but I also hope the internet in general can keep a hint of an open mind and give it a fair shake/assessment when it's actually in people's hands in a little more than a week.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Just because 300,000 people are watching Ninja play something doesn't mean they're also buying or playing it. I think streamers and the number of viewers are way less important than people give credit for.

I'll be happy if my girlfriend and I have a fun thing to do for a month or so on our nights after work.

The thing is, companies wouldn't be so into these influencers if their data didn't directly prove out that 300,000 people watching ninja play something did, in fact, mean that a significant portion of them would convert to sales.

They've got the data, they don't court influencers because they think they're cool people. It's part of marketing, and marketing is data driven.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Forar wrote: »
    I also hope the internet in general can keep a hint of an open mind and give it a fair shake/assessment when it's actually in people's hands in a little more than a week.

8971011.jpg

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    I remain cautiously optimistic, and don't fault anyone for wanting to wait, but I also hope the internet in general can keep a hint of an open mind and give it a fair shake/assessment when it's actually in people's hands in a little more than a week.

If there is one thing the internet is good at, it's hyperbole. Something is either the greatest thing ever, or should be shot into the sun along with anyone who touched it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    I also hope the internet in general can keep a hint of an open mind and give it a fair shake/assessment when it's actually in people's hands in a little more than a week.

8971011.jpg

You seemed ready to go to the Bioware HQ with a torch and pitchfork in hand at one point, and managed to step back from that ledge.

It's not impossible.

I'm entirely aware that there's a full fledged industry based on hot takes and shitting on things for clicks/views, but I'm not quite jaded enough to assume performative outrage over the slightest physics quibble or animation goof will tank the entire game.

Edit: man, even add a handful of qualifiers and people laser focus on even a glimmer of hope and the need to burn it to the ground.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

8971011.jpg

You seemed ready to go to the Bioware HQ with a torch and pitchfork in hand at one point, and managed to step back from that ledge.

It's not impossible.

I'm entirely aware that there's a full fledged industry based on hot takes and shitting on things for clicks/views, but I'm not quite jaded enough to assume performative outrage over the slightest physics quibble or animation goof will tank the entire game.

Edit: man, even add a handful of qualifiers and people laser focus on even a glimmer of hope and the need to burn it to the ground.

Sorry, this may have come off as overly dismissive when I was really just trying to be silly. I agree that some people probably will have a more measured opinion, but a lot of people are already gleefully cackling about Anthem's demise and they're unlikely to ever be swayed from IT'S A DISASTER even if the game breaks all sales metrics.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They dropped part 2 of "This is Anthem" which goes over some endgame stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh2RHMcfHkg

Edit: I'd still really like to see some type of roadmap though, I'm really interested in Cataclysms and how they handle those since it seems like a cool idea but a lot depends on their ability to release new content fairly quickly.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yes

To all of that

• Options
    Interesting, I thought that the pilot skill tree just wasn't in the demo but it turns out it won't be in the full game either. They decided to concentrate more on having components that could let you create builds instead of Javelin agnostic skills which weren't that interesting. It makes sense, just kind of a surprise since I don't think they had confirmed this until recently.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That is an interesting move. Feels like a monster hunter move where your gear is your level up.

I did like in the trailer seeing them craft masterworks, which is a welcome thing. Nothing more annoying than getting a bunch of craft mats and using them all during leveling but in end game they are just not used at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Just a thought, but I would like to see the ability to craft several weapons during the game only to find out that they are actually pieces of a much stronger weapon.

• Options
    Honestly "talent" trees in a lot of RPGs have really boiled down to flat % increases most of the time, outside of when WoW threw there's out and just went with changing how your skills work, so I won't be too sad that there won't be pilot talents in Anthem so you aren't forced into a cookie cutter build for build sake.

Like I said Monster Hunter does basically gear based skilling and its a fun system (and before people are "monster hunter doesn't have leveling" ha yeah it does especially in World.)

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I thought the numbers were small but I remembered you get a bunch of component, ability and weapon slots...so once you start cumulating things I could see some stuff getting pretty impressive.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

The thing is, companies wouldn't be so into these influencers if their data didn't directly prove out that 300,000 people watching ninja play something did, in fact, mean that a significant portion of them would convert to sales.

They've got the data, they don't court influencers because they think they're cool people. It's part of marketing, and marketing is data driven.

As someone who works on the edge of marketing as a profession, the jury is really out on this one. There are certainly tons of articles in the profession's press about the value of influencers and whether they represent an "influencer bubble" that's draining away marketing dollars and resources for marginal benefit.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I thought the numbers were small but I remembered you get a bunch of component, ability and weapon slots...so once you start cumulating things I could see some stuff getting pretty impressive.

Plus in the demo gear was bugged and stuff had 0% on it, or the wrong classes bonus's. But yeah you have two guns, two offensive powers, one support power slot, and then I think like 6 gear slots at max level? Plenty of places to min max your stuff.

I noticed when I threw on lightning damage on my storm shit was banannas. I think what sold me on going storm main was with a combo of lightning, ice shards, and the melee I could chain blast freeze and punch enemies for massive COMBO action.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

As someone who works on the edge of marketing as a profession, the jury is really out on this one. There are certainly tons of articles in the profession's press about the value of influencers and whether they represent an "influencer bubble" that's draining away marketing dollars and resources for marginal benefit.

Fair enough! I'm willing to accept that it remains to be seen whether or not it bears out to be effective, but if the strategy is one that is being doggedly pursued I think we can still at least conclude that the company has enough of an idea that it'll be effective advertising that simply dismissing it would be shortsighted.

• Options
    Well personally a streamer playing a game I was interested in but not committed to can persuade me to try it, but for me a streamer shitting on a game I was interested in doesn't necessarily push me away.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    The underwater stuff was not ideal. The controls were super squirrely and the way point indicators we should be seeing under there were not displaying in the demo. I have seen clips of the same stronghold run on their full alpha/beta and there were waypoint markers underwater to point you the right direction that I did not see at all in the demo.

Huge if true. My biggest issue with underwater is that it uses flight movement mechanics but walking controls so underwater is this weird, terrible third place where I am flying with a non-inverted stick. I know more than perhaps anyone alive about the detailed features of the stronghold underwater cavern floors, AMA.

@Belasco32 had a nightmare of a time in there as well. I think part of her is still stuck in those caves.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    There have been so, so many game “betas” over the last few years that were actually Gold master/shipping code, with no hope of any balance changes or bug fixing, which in effect a demo/promo for the retail release that it should be understandable why people have been wary of the tech issues the “demo” of Anthem.

Words should have meaning, and I think the tone of the conversation would have been much different (and more healthy) if BioWare had said “we are putting out a beta, and it’s going to a beta-ass beta like they used to be 5-10 years ago. Pardon our dust!”.

Instead, it looks like marketing got ahold of it, and to them beta=demo, what difference does it make what we call it?

"Marketing got ahold of it" is a serious problem throughout the industry

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    re: pilot skills, apparently from a BioWare Development Manager
    emphasis mine
    So I kind of spoke to it here https://reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/anlasz/_/efuur5b/?context=1

But yes we totally understand, and we are already working on plans to revisit it and make it better. Not sure how far out we are from seeing it return (and in what form) but we do agree that a skill-tree type of system for customization and progression is important.

"here" being:
    BW Dev Mgr wrote:
    The pilot level is so that you don't have to start all the way from scratch leveling up each javelin; you can pick up better loot for all your javelins, even if you're not currently playing them.

Unless you could respec your pilot skills differently for each javelin, you could get stuck with a bunch of increased melee damage on your Storm, which would be much less useful than increased ability damage. And if you could respec for each javelin, you might as well have ability trees for each javelin (which actually sounds cool imo).

Pilot skill trees would just pidgeonhole you into specific javelins instead of being able to change stuff on the fly. That's why it's good to have all of the actual stats on the javelins themselves.

Pretty much this. Because they were pilot skills they had to be agnostic of Javelin (pick-up range, health pack drop rate, ammo drop rate). And because they were javelin agnostic well... they just weren’t that interesting or impactful. They didn’t change the way you play the game or your builds because they couldn’t by nature.

So instead we created the Javelin specific and Universal components. With 10 Jav specific ones they are much more focused on specific play styles and build changes that allow you to better customize.

Tying it to the loadout makes sense with that context. Also this is 400% a Diablo-style loop of "I want X -> go play the game -> no luck, but I can craft -> no luck, repeat..."

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    I 100% believe what term they had used would have absolutely no effect on people. People just like to cling to "They should have called it a beta!" but, and a lot of this is because devs have sort of used them interchangeably for the last several years, if they had people would just hop to "oh man they're still doing a beta just a couple weeks before release?? ROUGH!" They were upfront about the demo being several weeks old, the people who weren't willing to read that info are not suddenly going to read a post on "hey this is a rough beta."

There was no real winning here. Some might say that they shouldn't have released the demo at all, but then what of new problems they discovered during it, such as alternate causes for infinite load screens? Even if the gameplay was a bit more refined, that bug showing up at launch instead of 3 weeks prior would have been way worse. Was it rough for some people? Yes. Did it sell other people on the game? Yes. It's a risk they took but I think we'll have a slightly smoother launch because of it.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Looks like March is the first event. That seems reasonable!

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Yeah march is a great start.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Been ignoring this game for the longest time but started watching some trailers and videos.

Goddamn, I want a Colossus so bad now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    OK, yeah that video is mad hype material.

Really cool stuff to have themes and such.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    For folks that just like text, there are three "mainline" updates scheduled to start in March, which comprise Act 1: Echoes of Reality. These updates will include:

1. New Events/Rewards
    2. Quality of Life Changes
    3. Expanded Progression Systems
    4. A New Stronghold
    5. New Missions
    6. Guilds & Leaderboards
    7. The First Cataclysm

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/oh2RHMcfHkg

Video on endgame stuff, I'm hype

edit: Holy shit I was suuuuper late lol

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shit...starting to get invested in this.

Seems to be a lot of doom and gloom surrounding Anthem from the start but it does look interesting and I can see glimmers of that sort of action gameplay I enjoyed from Bioware in Mass Effect. Probably going to end up buying it assuming reviews are decent.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So the "only three dungeons wahaha!" Thing wasn't the whole picture there

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    It’ll hinge on early impressions. People run through story content FAST these days, and are super vocal.

If the content is exhausted too fast or there’s some significant server issues, people will absolutely crow about it, and that will have an impact.

I’m already seeing a not insignificant reaction online of people waiting out the first month to see how those issues pan out. 6 weeks to make 5-6 million sales when the online consensus already seems to be ‘wait 2/3 if that time to decide’ could be bad.

People will whinge about literally anything. Complain about anything. There's been people right here who hope this game fails because either they don't like EA, or it's not the game THEY wanted BioWare to make, and thus they must be taught a lesson. I bet there's a face that won't animate perfectly. Oh, and there's nothing to fuck, can't forget that. Burn it all down!

I'm going to play a game, have fun, and hope that the internet hate machine doesn't ruin yet another thing I enjoy.

Uh... okay.

I’m not referring to people saying EA needs to die, or Anthem for whatever reason.

But the two betas they did caused enough concern for there to be a general ‘wait a bit and see’ attitude. Coupled with EAs huge numbers in just 6 weeks expectation, I was just mentioning it hinging on the concerns from those betas.

Hate has nothing to do with it. Games are pricey these days and often launch with issues (particularly online games) and people get more hesitant to buy on day 1. The Anthem betas gave actual cause for concern, at least to people on PC.

Maybe it's me. Betas have issues, demos have issues; I never figure a preview product will be an accurate representation of anything except the rough strokes of gameplay. I don't even think about balance issues, numbers, etc. The idea of playing "wait and see" based on technical issues in a demo build based off a known old branch of code seems... Weird to me.

Not buying a game day 1 that gave you multiple issues in a beta/demo, to me, seems entirely normal.

You’ve got actual reason to expect it to not work as intended rather than going in blind.

And the idea that you need to buy the new shiny game on day 1 seems weird to me.

I have been burned a lot more by buying a game day 1 than I have by starting it a couple of weeks after launch.

And I winder how they're going to count Origin subs into their "units sold" figure?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Well tbh I don't think anyone really cares when/if you buy a game at the end of the day, except the company who made it.

That said folks do create a lot of theatrics around "cancelling their pre-orders"(real or imagined) which in turn creates defensiveness around folks who are hyped for a product.

But like I said I think the whole pre-order business is silly to begin with and and I question the actual consumer benefits of it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I generally like a multiplayer game more at release than later on. Later on all the secrets and discovery are plumbed. Builds are set up, and people are all "how can you use *blank* the meta is *blank*". At release there is just more to see and do and an impetus to do that. For some people that's a no biggy, but for me that's the real fun times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.