As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Turns out I was right about nbc pulling wing commander from YouTube, they are launching a streaming service so maybe look for it there.

I'm getting further in rebel galaxy and think of this.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Turns out I was right about nbc pulling wing commander from YouTube, they are launching a streaming service so maybe look for it there.

I'm getting further in rebel galaxy and think of this.

On a somewhat related note, I rather enjoy Captain Harlock. He is basically the anime world's equivalent of John Munch and appears in a bunch of other unrelated shows/settings (anime or otherwise).

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Picked up X4 last night and I was just tooling around, getting used to the controls and whatnot. I was walking on the station and I saw several ships entering and leaving, when I saw a really big ship come in to land. I went over to it and went inside just to look around and I guess by the time I figured out how to get up to the cockpit the ship had taken off with me in it! I couldn't figure out how to teleport back to my ship (apparently I can't just yet anyway) so I ejected myself out the airlock and had to make my way back inside the station at 4m/s. That'll fuckin teach me not to board ships that aren't my own lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hire a pilot for your ship, so you can tell him to come pick you up.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Once I figure out how to do that then I will!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Once I figure out how to do that then I will!

Dock somewhere, talk to the guys wandering the docks.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    How does crew payment work? Is it a one time hiring fee, or do they take money from my account every so often?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    How does crew payment work? Is it a one time hiring fee, or do they take money from my account every so often?

@Darmak did you ever get this figured out? How are you liking this from a first impression standpoint? I'm tempted to pick it up now that it's had a few patches.

I'm playing Starpoint Gemini Warlords currently. The actual space combat/flying is pretty meh, but it has a slight 4x/Mount and Blade mode to it, which is kind of fun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I actually haven't loaded it up again yet, been too busy playing Wargroove and Starbound and Praey for the Gods. I'll let you know more once I do eventually play it again

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

@Darmak did you ever get this figured out? How are you liking this from a first impression standpoint? I'm tempted to pick it up now that it's had a few patches.

I'm playing Starpoint Gemini Warlords currently. The actual space combat/flying is pretty meh, but it has a slight 4x/Mount and Blade mode to it, which is kind of fun.

Crew payments are a one time fee.

• Options
    I've gotten about 4 hours into X4 and have been enjoying it so far. I can see why it started off with mixed reviews, it feels like they changed their controls for the sake of changing their controls which is a bit annoying, but after a few rebinds everything is running smoothly. Actually I'm running the game at 60fps with a computer under their minimum specs. If you are having performance issues, turn off antialiasing.

Personally I think the walking around station stuff is overrated, but I really enjoy it in X4, since there does appear to be other traffic there which is a nice change from most space sims. My biggest complaint right now is that the game itself looks beautiful, but the npc models and animations are a bit janky, it kind of takes me out of the immersion, other than that at this point I have no major qualms, anything else that is wrong I usually expect from a brand new release from Egosoft. Many of these things will also be patched in the coming months I would bet.

@TheKoolEagle I'd be curious to hear what control bindings you changed.

Just bought X4 and am about to go through the tutorials. I vaguely remember X3 requiring some rebinds as well before I felt like the controls worked for me on KBAM.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    My guess is that, since he's an OG, he changed everything that's different from X3 back to how it was in X3.

I've definitely had the same temptation, but have been trying to resist the urge. It's clear they're trying to make the interface more mouse friendly without having to switch between flying/clicking "modes" a la X3, but it does lead to some weird keybindings.

If I recall correctly they basically just removed primary fire from mouse1 in order to let you click on stations/ships without shooting them (thus the no mode switch required), but that bumps firing down to mouse 2/3 and it feels sort of weird not doing anything shootey with mouse1.

Also acceleration is set to mousewheel which is lame and worse than x3.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Sorry I missed this! Yeah I basically changed everything back to X3 controls and fit in the new mechanics where I could. Its been a bit since I've touched it, there were a few performance issues (my computer is woefully outdated) and I am upgrading near the end of the month so I'm hoping to get into it some more!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Sorry I missed this! Yeah I basically changed everything back to X3 controls and fit in the new mechanics where I could. Its been a bit since I've touched it, there were a few performance issues (my computer is woefully outdated) and I am upgrading near the end of the month so I'm hoping to get into it some more!

I'd love to see what you changed. It's been so long since I played X3, but yeah the new controls just feel wrong.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    X4 is currently 25% off on Steam.

• Options
    GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    Given that X4 was not a pile of dogshit at launch, and is certainly not now, maybe it's time for a thread title change?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Naw.

Because X: Rebirth is still a pile of dogshit.

X4 may not be, but X: Rebirth most certainly is.

• Options
    GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    I'm glad that the FPS gamers are mature enough to not keep harping about an under-performing title all the way into the next generation. One day maybe us spacesim fans can be as rational.

• Options
    GuildNav wrote: »
    I'm glad that the FPS gamers are mature enough to not keep harping about an under-performing title all the way into the next generation. One day maybe us spacesim fans can be as rational.

As long as NMS exists, there will be people eager to drop their pants and shit all over it, regardless of how much Hello Games improves it.

So I doubt space sim fans will ever be that rational

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Look, if you want to try to talk Tube into saying that X4 being alright outweighs X Rebirth being a pile of dogshit, be my guest.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I mean, you can just have the title be "The Space Sim Megathread: X Rebirth is a pile of dogshit but X4 isn't"

Aka the por que no los dos solution.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out SpaceBourne? It’s like Star Citizen Lite, made by a single dev. Looks pretty slick for an indie game.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Has anyone checked out SpaceBourne? It’s like Star Citizen Lite, made by a single dev. Looks pretty slick for an indie game.

I have not, but that trailer certainly makes some claims that I am in to.

Seems more X-lite than SC; if I had to pick one.

Or Privateer+ with a hideout and henchmen.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    WHY ISN'T ROGUE GALAXY OUTLAW ALREADY OUT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

If you mean Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, it’s going to be an Epic store exclusive for a year.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

If you mean Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, it’s going to be an Epic store exclusive for a year.

Mother fucker, but its been 4 months so i should have known

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That's not answering the question...

REBEL GALAXY OUTLAW NEEDS TO BE OUT ALREADY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    oh i'll bu RGO on any platform, even GFWL.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Are they still saying "early 2019" for release? Weird that we're almost a quarter of the way through the year and still no concrete date.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    oh i'll bu RGO on any platform, even GFWL.

Some things you just don't joke about.

• Options
    Crossposting from the flight sim thread because while space sims don't need rudder pedals, there are some of us crazy enough to use em anyway.

Virpil just announced their new line of rudder pedals and hot damn are these things pure sex. They're basically Baur pedals with more production power available and an actual store front behind them.
    https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/431-introducing-the-final-part-of-the-vpcockpit-vpc-rudder-pedals/

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Crossposting from the flight sim thread because while space sims don't need rudder pedals, there are some of us crazy enough to use em anyway.

Virpil just announced their new line of rudder pedals and hot damn are these things pure sex. They're basically Baur pedals with more production power available and an actual store front behind them.
    https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/431-introducing-the-final-part-of-the-vpcockpit-vpc-rudder-pedals/

Oh there's a store front. Now, production and availability, that's a different story with Virpil. But they'll probably be supported by Windows 14, so you should be good by the time you land some.

• Options
    Compared to VKB Virpil is god damn Thrustmaster tier for availability. At least Virpil is capable of designing and launching a product before the next fucking ice age and they also do a MUCH better job of communicating their restock schedules and all that to the customers. I was able to show up on the designated restock day and get a throttle without having to sacrifice a goat to an old Russian god and pray for some sort of restock update.

Granted, I also roll in the balisong circles so I'm already used to drop days which prolly biases me a bit but still, Virpil stuff isn't too big of a PITA to grab.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    > Granted, I also roll in the balisong circles
    hey what

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So i just got the humble bundle that has stellaris and offworld trading company. which one should i dive into first, if i dont end up playing dungeons 3 or civ6 first...

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So i just got the humble bundle that has stellaris and offworld trading company. which one should i dive into first, if i dont end up playing dungeons 3 or civ6 first...

OTC is fun, unique, and the smallest time investment by far. I'd give it a peek before moving on.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I’ve been just completely in to X4 latetly.

I’m using numerous mods and have been having a blast.

edit- In case anyone is curious about the mods I'm using here is the list;

TaterTrader- Anyone who has been playing for any length of time probably already has this, but for those that don't this is a superior alternative to the vanilla Auto Trade command.

Signal Leak Hunter- This comes to two varieties, a cheaty version and a not so cheaty version. Both versions will add waypoints to Signal Leaks when you enter scan mode. The cheaty version, which I use, will add the waypoint when you are within 8km of a station. The less cheaty version will add the waypoint when you are within 200-250m of the leak. The mod also will tell you exactly how many Signal Leaks and Comms there are. I cannot overstate how much this mod has improved my experience with X4. With this hunting leaks has become fun in a "gotta catch'em all" sense and is no longer an absolute chore.

Spherical Long Range Scan- Another QoL mod, IMHO. With this it will send out a, well, spherical pulse when you do a long range scan. Think sonar. So now you don't have to point your ship every which way.

Enhanced Holomap- This one does two awesome things. First it color codes all the ships/stations/object by faction color in the objects list. Secondly it changes the Teladi faction color to an orange-ish so it is actually visiually distinct from the player faction color.

Paint Jobs for Sale and Freeq's Paintjobs- This one is a twofer. The first makes all the Venture paint jobs available for purchase from traders at the Traders' Corner. It also adds a separate buy screen for paint jobs. The second one just adds more custom paint jobs and is compatible with the first mod. It will even add the paint jobs to the custom paint job buying screen the first mod adds.

Fixin' X- This one is a edited mod compilation. It includes a number of useful and popular mods. The compilation's creator has also edited a few of these mods to either work together or be less cheaty. For example it includes the Build Time Reduction mod, but the modder thought that it reduced construction time too much (small modules build in seconds) so they changed it to be a general 20% reduction in time. Read up on the description page for a full list of mods and changes.

Sector Satellites- This mod adds and changes a couple things. First and foremost you only need to drop one basic satellite in a sector to get all trade info from the stations you have discovered in that sector. Which sounds a little cheaty, but for me dropping a bunch of satellites in a sector killed my map FPS. The other thing the mod does is add new satellites and change the advanced satellite. So there is still a solid reason to deploy full satellite coverage and use advanced satellites.

Info Center- Adds a new tab to the map screen that lets you see at a glance just what the fuck all your ships are actually doing.

PHQ Move Sector- It always irked me that the PHQ wasn't in an unclaimed sector. This mod lets you rectify that.

Now for mods that radically change things and are probably not for new players. Some of which require a new game.

Rise of the Ossian Raider- This mod adds a new sector, faction, and several ships from past X games. The lore behind it is that a group of Terran pilots got stranded and are now raiders. It also has a few other features that you can enable or not.

DeadAir Gate- This is a BIG one. It completely redesigns the map, all the sectors, removes the super space highway and adds 39 new sectors. The whole thing balances out the main faction sectors and creates unclaimed buffer zones between the factions (that don't stay unclaimed for long).

If you're curious what the redesigned map looks like, it looks like this:
    285-1554006144-1818398457.jpeg

Faction War/Economy Enchancer- Another great mod. This one comes in four parts that you can pick and choose from. In short it makes the AI factions FAR more intelligent when it comes to their economies and actually makes the war(s), uh, war-y. You will see fleets, numerous sector patrols, invasions, station construction (and destruction), aggressive expansion, and in general make the universe feel far and away more alive. When combined with the DeadAir Gate mod it makes for some pretty great battles and wars.

All these mods work together and in the case of the last three they have their own compatibility patches.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, hey...it's been a whiles since the thread got bumped to page 1. That said, I think now's as good a time as any.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is coming out next month!

https://youtu.be/XoyL7CZcCQ8

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Oh hey I was gonna go looking for this thread to mention that Steam has a Space Exploration sale for the next few days, and folks in this thread should probably check it out.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Oh.....its an epic exclusive.....