As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Automated Pet Feeders

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
So I'm looking to get two automated feeders for my cats, and it seems like the features I'm looking for are somewhat uncommon. I'd like to get a model that lets me set two or three specific times a day to dispense food, and one that allows me to control the portion size (as far down as like .25 cups at a time) . From what I can find online, I'm mostly seeing ones that can dispense at a single time each day, and portion control seems pretty rare for sizes as small as I need.

Any recommendations on a solid cat feeder?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I owned one of these.

It does all that stuff, can program 3 meals a day and feeding times / portions. I ended out getting rid of it because my cat developed a sensitivity to plastic. It worked very well.

Edit: I do recommend you get a tray of some kind to set it on. The lip of the tray is a shallow angle and the bowl isn't super deep so if your animal scoots food around the bowl like one of my cats does, some will end up on the floor and moving a full feeder to clean under it will make a mess.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    I've been using this one for maybe six months now, and it's been great: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723GD6NC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Our cats got used to eating three times a day, and they started waking me up (or trying to wake me up) earlier and earlier in the morning for breakfast. Within a few months with the feeder, they finally understand that's it automatic, so they don't bug me anymore.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This is the one I use - it's a little more on the pricey side, but it does everything you're asking, and does it well.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone! Good advice. I ended up going with one similar to that Westlink one, which seems promising and middle-of-the-road in price.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Oh sure, but what do you do about a cat that wakes you up solely for the purpose of pushing the button on the red dot laser cat tower.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Oh sure, but what do you do about a cat that wakes you up solely for the purpose of pushing the button on the red dot laser cat tower.

Get a bigger button, one suitable for use by cat paws, then wire it in to the system to replace the standard switch?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Stop allowing your cat into the bedroom.

It solves a lot of problems. Especially with sleep quality.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Only if you also work out how to stop them scratching at the door all damn night (I speak from experience)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The house where I grew up had doors with lever handles. We had giant rescue cats that had to have at least a little Maine Coon in them, based on appearance and size alone. They figured out how to open the doors. And since almost none of the doors had locks except for the bathrooms and the master bedroom, it was impossible to prevent them from going anywhere short of blocking the door with something heavy.

And all that would do is make them constantly swipe at the door handle until the door opened or you opened it. They were like those velociraptors in Jurassic Park combined with Marshawn Lynch:

https://youtu.be/pY9TIp1BqcQ