As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Then make a new IP. I buy Darksiders 3, I expect Darksiders.

A little heavy on the gaming entitlement but let's dig in.

A bunch of people making artistic and business decisions don't owe anything to your expectations because you bought and enjoyed a previous product.

And Darksiders 2 was already very different from 1. If anything, 3 is a lot more like 1 than 2.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Ok so I basically just started the game. As someone who loved and 100%'ed the first two, so far I am unimpressed...

It's clear the game devs got way too into Dark Souls after #2 because playing on apocalyptic, the difficulty curve is far far in excess of what I expect out of a Darksiders game. Not enjoying myself.

The same complaints were made about Darksiders 1 with regards to how Zelda-like it was and Darksiders 2 with the Diablo style loot. Both of the previous entries were based heavily on mixing together other gaming genres with technical fighting. The only thing that would have surprised be about Darksiders 3 is if they hadn't gone in a Dark Souls direction, given how natural a fit Dark Souls is for Darksiders.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I would say very Diet Dark Souls. Because while you lose your souls when you die, if you die on your way back you don't lose them forever. They are still there where you died, and the souls you had when you died on your way back to them are where you died that time. You can never lose souls in DS3. They will always be there waiting on you.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

A bunch of people making artistic and business decisions don't owe anything to your expectations because you bought and enjoyed a previous product.
    And I don't owe them slavish devotion because I enjoyed their previous products either. I dislike their latest entry, I'll voice my opinion.

"Heavy on the gaming entitlement" huh? I get it, you're one of those who'll defend the poor defenseless company from the nasty consumer, right?

Look. I'm still willing to give it a bit more of my time to see if maybe I come to dig it. But fact of the matter is, they've made a Darksiders game and heavily marketed it as being for the fans of Darksiders that made it all possible. I watched a documentary series about it and everything. For it to be so very not what fans of the series have enjoyed thus far is, well, straight up stupid.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

And I don't owe them slavish devotion because I enjoyed their previous products either. I dislike their latest entry, I'll voice my opinion.

"Heavy on the gaming entitlement" huh? I get it, you're one of those who'll defend the poor defenseless company from the nasty consumer, right?

Look. I'm still willing to give it a bit more of my time to see if maybe I come to dig it. But fact of the matter is, they've made a Darksiders game and heavily marketed it as being for the fans of Darksiders that made it all possible. I watched a documentary series about it and everything. For it to be so very not what fans of the series have enjoyed thus far is, well, straight up stupid.

As a fan of the Darksiders games, I really enjoyed DS3 (though it was definitely the weakest of the series) and liked the overall changes to the game. It felt a lot more like DS1 with its semi-open world, more personal combat than 2's CAG-lite combat Diablo-lite loot. Like I'm really not sure how this game is that much different from the first, other than the enemies hit slightly harder.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    They *literally* had to patch in a feature that made it play more like the original games.

At least the story and characters have been good so far. Digging Fury

Catalase on
  • Options
    They *literally* had to patch in a feature that made it play more like the original games.

At least the story and characters have been good so far. Digging Fury

Well, fair enough, but I didn't play using the Default combat, I used the Classic mode. Did you try that? Cause it's basically just Darksiders 1 combat.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Yeah but Darksiders 2 was not "what fans had enjoyed thus far" either. It was completely different in style and gameplay, because they said when Darksiders 1 came out that their vision for this series was that each Horsemen would play differently. When Darksiders 1 came out and we knew this it was expected back then that Strifes game was obviously going to be some kind of third person shooter and people were speculating that Death or Fury would end up being more action based like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

I don't think you have to like the game, but this particular critique of it just doesn't make any sense at all.

• Options
    I’ve switched over and it’s a little easier, but the fact they made enemies able to kill you in 1-2 shots, and still placed them around in such large mobs (that respawn no less, goddamn)...it’s incredibly frustrating. Fury being so much slower than Death does not help. It’s like the number and difficulty of enemies would be appropriate if you still fought at DS2 speeds but then they slowed it down and made you too easily killed.

Could do with more checkpoints too.

I agree that the world is much more like Darksiders 1. And there’s a lot to love about that too. Environment feels very atmospheric and more real. Like I said; I’m a huge fan of the first two games and I went in so excited to play 3. But there’s a reason I don’t play souls games.

• Options
    Holding square does an AoE spin combo that handles mobs of small enemies that don't block. The button delay combo with the whip stretches it out to grab enemies and bring them in to you which is good for the larger ones that can block and the ones that stay at range and throw things.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Yeah but Darksiders 2 was not "what fans had enjoyed thus far" either. It was completely different in style and gameplay, because they said when Darksiders 1 came out that their vision for this series was that each Horsemen would play differently. When Darksiders 1 came out and we knew this it was expected back then that Strifes game was obviously going to be some kind of third person shooter and people were speculating that Death or Fury would end up being more action based like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

I don't think you have to like the game, but this particular critique of it just doesn't make any sense at all.
    But it’s not like DmC or Bayonetta. It’s like Dark Souls. Infuriating difficulty included.

Darksiders 2 isn’t like 1 in terms of the world, but the gameplay is far more similar. Where are my puzzles? So far all I’ve done is a few bug bombs. Where’s my traversal? A few whip jumps? Literally the main experience has been to fight annoying enemies.

Again it’s still early days but so far it seems all annoying combat.

• Options
    No it not like those but I’m saying there was speculation. It was known that each game was going to be a bit different.

Gunfire Games is a small barebones studio of people that cobbled this together out of love for the series.

There’s no horse because they couldn’t afford giant environments to make it worth it, but you still travel through the serpent holes like before.

Each sub weapon also gives a new mode of traversal.

• Options
    I actually meant traversal puzzles. Jumping from peg to ledge to column to pillar.

• Options
    According to a report from THQ Nordic, Darksiders 3 sold within expectations and at the least made back all of the money that went into development and marketing. They are pleased with its sales and expect the DLCs that will be released this year to boost them even further.

So this is good news! We may see Strife's game yet.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Amidst all the shit going on in gaming, some good news:

• Options
    Awesome! I enjoyed Darksiders 3, though not as much as the first two.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I only played it for 7 or 8 hours and then just kind of started playing other stuff, but I'm overjoyed that the company set realistic expectations and met them (especially in this world of games making $500 million and causing stock prices to drop because it wasn't even more).

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Amidst all the shit going on in gaming, some good news:

What a novice company. You're meant to expect it to sell wildly out of proportion with the rest of the series/ similar games, spend on marketing to match the number you invented, then fire everyone and cancel the sequel when it doesn't do the thing you wanted it to do. At this rate, the developer will stay in business and they might create a successful mid- tier action series. What dummies!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darksiders 3 DLC - The Crucible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB53ZiyksPU

So... yeah!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Wow, that looks impressively generic.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    Wow, that looks impressively generic.

That'd be on brand for DSIII, if we're being honest.

• Options
    Its just an arena mode. Some of those monsters look new though. I don't remember a giant spider thing in the main game.

The actual story DLC we're getting involves Vulgrim and something in the Serpent Holes.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    A description for the E3 Coliseum had this info about a Darksiders

DARKSIDERS: ACTION ADVENTURE EVOLVED

A discussion about the inception of the Darksiders universe and where it’s headed next. This panel will coincide with the E3 2019 unveil of a brand new Darksiders game that takes the franchise in a fresh direction. This is a panel discussion about the art and business of creating and maintaining an action adventure franchise rich in-game and corporate lore.

• Options
    That description fills me with fear.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    That description fills me with fear.

Third person cover shooter. I mean, it's the best place to go for Mr. "double guns" Strife.

Edit: oh, but in grand Darksiders tradition, it has to borrow a mechanic from multiple other games. I'm going to suggest something like Vanquish.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I went from "ugh" to "ooohh" at the thought of Vanquish.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Going to a gunslinger from three games of melee is going to be a big gameplay shift.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I went from "ugh" to "ooohh" at the thought of Vanquish.

Now, I can't assure anyone that that's where they'll go, but when I think of the spinny-flippy spectacle fighter nonsense of the other games, that's where my brain goes first.

My second thought is some kind of gun flow close combat like the gun kata concept in the movie Equilibrium.

• Options
    Darksiders Genesis (unclear if this will be Darksiders 4, but it does appear to be starring Strife) has been announced and will be a top-down action game ala Diablo

https://youtu.be/UQ5ifGqYWTI

Looks like there will be co-op, as you can see Death and War fighting alongside Strife in a few places. I did not see Fury, but if Death and War are there I would imagine she is, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ohh can't wait to check it out.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I'm not the biggest fan of Diablo style games, but it's Darksiders so I'm probably getting it regardless

• Options
    Some more details: Is officially a spin-off, not Darksiders 4
    Is being developed by

*drum roll*

Airship Syndicate! Joe Mad is back, baby!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It's funny, I thought airship would be announcing battle chasers 2 at e3 so I went and finished up the first game last night. It even ended on a cliffhanger.

Put me in the camp of people that don't generally care for diablo games but am pretty excited for this. My main problem with diablo style games is that the combat usually doesn't feel very good, trading good weighty attack animations for speed and big numbers, but battle chasers has some absolutely fantastic art and animations so I'm hoping that carries over into this game. And being old darksiders Devs, I feel like they know what satisfying combat feels like.

Also gameinformer has a writeup and they confirm finishers are back, at least on bosses! I missed them a lot in 3. Which I should probably try to play more of.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    With a name like "Genesis", I'm getting a feeling this is meant to be backstory for even before the first game. That would be pretty cool, honestly, and might help to gauge interest in a Darksiders game focusing on Strife, too.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Oh nice. That means Joe Mad is officially back on the IP, which means authentic artwork again.

Darksiders 3 didn't look bad by any means. But it also didn't really look like authentic Joe Mad artwork.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    With a name like "Genesis", I'm getting a feeling this is meant to be backstory for even before the first game. That would be pretty cool, honestly, and might help to gauge interest in a Darksiders game focusing on Strife, too.

God, will they stop with the damn prequel stuff already. The ending of the first game was awesome and they've just pissed it away since. Probably because they can't live up to it, but still sucks.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

God, will they stop with the damn prequel stuff already. The ending of the first game was awesome and they've just pissed it away since. Probably because they can't live up to it, but still sucks.

Yeah, but the end is the end. That final game is done deal, I can almost assure you. So instead, it's better to flesh out the rest of the franchise and characters so it hits with the biggest bang it can. I am fine with a minimum of Genesis and "Strife-focused game" before we get the coup de grâce.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    And if Darksiders 3 is the example of what the next mainline Darksiders would be like, I wouldn't want that to be the game that takes place after Darksiders 1. People have been waiting a long time and I would want them to make that the best game possible.

The best case scenario at this point would probably be to have airship and gunfire make it together. And increase the budget a lot.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love the accents of both Strife and the demon in that trailer.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Battle Chasers is super fun, btw, so I am looking forward to this.