As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Every time the phrase "damage numbers" is thrown around in this thread I briefly wonder if I've misclicked.

rocket powered greatsword

No... no, that's on-brand.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    The hammer isn't as slow as I assumed it would be.

Getting the hang of it, slowly.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You wouldn't expect the giant hammer to be the real hit and run weapon, but there it is

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so did a lunestra quest to get some horns and ended up with two more lbgs

luna goes and sleeps and we show up drop 9 mines and like 8 mega bombs

I might have ruined it since i watched the explosion

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I've been semi actively playing on PC, but either I just don't have enough people on my friend's list or it's been a ghost town lately.

For myself and the crew of people I usually play with, I have beaten the shit out of all the content currently offered (prob missing a few scattered KT weaps but wateva) - I will be back obsessively playing when they give me something new to do (AT Kushala on the 22nd goooooo). If you need help running something, feel free to ping on here or on the discord.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And then there's the Iceborne expansion that's coming sometime (this year, isn't it?).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    It's questionable when it'll release for PC, but we can hope. That's a large factor why I moved over to PC now, so I'm not playing catch up when the next expansion drops and everyone else is just playing the new content.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    If I have event materials (like Appreciation Tickets or Red Orbs) am I able to craft the items after the event is over? Or do I have to get the materials and craft the items before it ends?

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    I believe once you have the stuff in your blacksmith (or delivery list) you are are able to do it whenever, regardless of the event.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just don't be like me that you realize the event weapon is upgradeable but you need more materials from the event and you're unable to upgrade it until it comes back.

• Options
    Yea material doesn't disappear after the event

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I got up to (what I'm assuming is) the first encounter with Zorah Magdaros last night.

"I'm fighting a monster on the back of a giant ass monster. Well played, Capcom. Very well played."

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I got up to (what I'm assuming is) the first encounter with Zora Magdaros last night.

"I'm fighting a monster on the back of a giant ass monster. Well played, Capcom. Very well played."

Heh, yeah, that's a good touch from them for this, and really helps sell the scale of Zorah.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Just don't be like me that you realize the event weapon is upgradeable but you need more materials from the event and you're unable to upgrade it until it comes back.

Heh...now I'm glad I had the thought to farm up extra downy crake and the wyvern ignition gs tickets on my PS4 character. Kinda bummed that I couldn't get any of the snazzy weapon materials on my Xbone character...but at least I could get the first rank of the azure star longsword.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    All those quests have come back with the n ew festivals

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Feels like this current event has lasted so long and we should be getting another one in a month or two for Spring.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Huge Kirin appears.

Not a Gold Crown... Fuck this dumb random size system.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Is Kirin your last one? If not, move on to another to experience something new haha.

If he's your last one, then good luck. I think Kirin is just so annoying to get, because the fight itself is annoying.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    All those quests have come back with the n ew festivals

Who knows, by that time I might be ready for the 9-star quests on all platforms.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Whee, Extremoth downed, time to never do that ever again.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Oh, y'all may appreciate this. https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/20/monster-hunter-worlds-collaboration-neckties-might-help-users-with-job-hunting-buffs/

They are actually, in some cases, almost classy proper neckties!

• Options
    Must...have...palico paw....necktie!

Also, I caved and installed MHW on my laptop. Runs high/medium pretty well. And, while in this here motel, I figured I'd give Code: Red a shot. If I carted and/or failed, no worries...I wasn't expecting to actually finish the thing.

Loaded up with my rarity 7 ice IG, got all my anti-stun, anti-blast, fire resist, anti-bleed decos, charms, and general armor (including 2-piece Legiana for that sweet enhanced loot table pulls). It took me 40-44 minutes...but nailed them all, got all of their tails, and never dropped under 50% health (and only used 1 antidote and 4 honey during the fight). That fight was definitely fun! I'll have to run it again next event!

I was expecting my laptop to crash just before I cashed out and the autosave kicked in. Was surprised I managed to run that fight and get the autosave. Was a little sad Poogie wasn't around for a victory pet.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Is Kirin your last one? If not, move on to another to experience something new haha.

If he's your last one, then good luck. I think Kirin is just so annoying to get, because the fight itself is annoying.

Its the last one.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Why is "monster leaving the area" actually a mechanic, serious question, it fucking sucks
    rage post
    Just wasted almost 40 minutes hunting my first ever Deviljho on an expedition, carted 3 times, used 6 Max potions and like 25 Megas, and got literally nothing out of it. It's fucking bullshit, take it out of the fucking game, all it does is piss people off.
    Also fuck Deviljho, literally everything on him is a hitbox and there's no way to roll away because he's too fucking long

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    dporowski wrote: »
    Oh, y'all may appreciate this. https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/20/monster-hunter-worlds-collaboration-neckties-might-help-users-with-job-hunting-buffs/

They are actually, in some cases, almost classy proper neckties!

Assuming the monster is on the inside or not amajor part of the tie than yes, i agree. Though I am a bowtie guy myself so sad trombone
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Why is "monster leaving the area" actually a mechanic, serious question, it fucking sucks
    rage post
    Just wasted almost 40 minutes hunting my first ever Deviljho on an expedition, carted 3 times, used 6 Max potions and like 25 Megas, and got literally nothing out of it. It's fucking bullshit, take it out of the fucking game, all it does is piss people off.
    Also fuck Deviljho, literally everything on him is a hitbox and there's no way to roll away because he's too fucking long

I think thats the point, so people don't cheese monster fights.

Also can I just say I fucking hate delivery quests. I need to finish the optionals to actually unlock the quest that gives commission tickets so i don't have to sacrifice something to find one on SOS. That stupid 4* wyvern egg one just pisses me off.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    rage post

Expeditions are kinda shit because of that, and because the loot you get from hunts is limited. Use Expeditions to get a lot of research on monsters and gathering whatever else you may like. Use the actual missions or investigations from your research to take them on. Expeditions are a colossal waste of time for hunts, don't do that except for shits and giggles.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    You also get to zombie rush a monster so they probably thought there should be some kind of limit on that.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    You also get to zombie rush a monster so they probably thought there should be some kind of limit on that.

This doesn't make much sense because you still lose out because Max Potions aren't unlimited. If you are carted repeatedly without using a Max Potion you'll get one shot anyway. If someone wants to hit a monster, die and get carted, and come back and repeat for 4 hours then maybe it should be alright if they did that.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

This doesn't make much sense because you still lose out because Max Potions aren't unlimited. If you are carted repeatedly without using a Max Potion you'll get one shot anyway. If someone wants to hit a monster, die and get carted, and come back and repeat for 4 hours then maybe it should be alright if they did that.

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's a service to that person's mental health that the game won't let you do that.

• Options

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's a service to that person's mental health that the game won't let you do that.

Haha... Good point! Normally after 1 cart I'm fuming and not seeing straight.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Something I only learned recently, and maybe it will help others:

If you "Abandon Quest" you get back all the resources you used (potions, etc), and it's like you never ran it. You lose out on any part breaks or stuff collected in trade.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Something I only learned recently, and maybe it will help others:

If you "Abandon Quest" you get back all the resources you used (potions, etc), and it's like you never ran it. You lose out on any part breaks or stuff collected in trade.

I was up to HR 50+ by the time I learned that. It's really handy for those times that you use precious potions to buff up, only to get instantly carted. Never happened!

Last night I learned that I'm now held back by the difference between blue "Completed" vs. red "Completed" stamps on my optional quests. It is not obvious what I'm missing, and I'm not sure I feel like figuring it out.

• Options

I know when I am on an expedition I don't use things like demondrugs or waste big potion things, I would rather eat the cart and start over.

camo_sig.png
  • Options

I know when I am on an expedition I don't use things like demondrugs or waste big potion things, I would rather eat the cart and start over.

Sure but then you're at a handicap. If you get carted once then it's likely to happen again since you lose your food bonus as well.

• Options
    I know I'm making things harder on myself but I hardly use those buff potions at all, even for tough fights, unless I'm desperate. Usually when I've carted twice but have a flashing skull on the map.

It's a trap I fall into all the time with RPGs where buffing items are precious. I struggle through the entire game, refusing to use them because I might need them later, only to reach the end of the game with a giant stockpile of potions I really should have been using all along.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Sure but then you're at a handicap. If you get carted once then it's likely to happen again since you lose your food bonus as well.

Is Feyline Foodie not a thing in World?

• Options
    I've always felt that things like Max/Ancient potions are for when you get carted and are missing the health boost from foods. Unless I get carted, I'm mostly just holding onto my boosting potions.

But, then again, I spent the first 150-175 hours not knowing about Armorskin/Demondrug until a friend told me about them.

• Options
    On the other hand my hunter has a crippling drug problem and won't start a hunt unless they have health, stamina, armor, and attacks buffs.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    On the other hand my hunter has a crippling drug problem and won't start a hunt unless they have health, stamina, armor, and attacks buffs.

I used to but now I tend to pop seeds for the slightly bigger boost. I have started using immunizers though.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah... I use the drugs, the powders, and the seeds...

7244qyoka3pp.gif