As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions about Bringing Stuff

AlhanalemAlhanalem Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in PAX East
The safety policy doesn't make this completely clear to me so I have a few questions:
Can I bring an object that is clearly not designed to be a weapon which contains metal (aside from personal electronics), or is all metal entirely forbidden?
If I something I bring is rejected by staff, can it be held for me so that I can still attend the event?

Alhanalem on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2019
    Alhanalem wrote: »
    The safety policy doesn't make this completely clear to me so I have a few questions:
    Can I bring an object that is clearly not designed to be a weapon which contains metal (aside from personal electronics), or is all metal entirely forbidden?
    If I something I bring is rejected by staff, can it be held for me so that I can still attend the event?
    It depends on what the object is. Things containing metal (a bottle opener, metal credit cards, tweezers, nail clippers, etc) are not expressly forbidden. However, iirc things like knives & multi-tools might be. I would suggest emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com if you have a specific item in mind. I don't believe they will hold things for you (the logistics for that would be a pain). Most likely you would need to take any item rejected back to a hotel room or vehicle before entering.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    "Most likely you would need to take any item rejected back to a hotel room or vehicle before entering."
    I will have to do that and make reasonably sure then- I live in Maine and use the Amtrak Downeaster to get to Boston, it's a fairly short trip so I won't be in a hotel and I'll be walking/using a taxi in Boston proper.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    If you really think it's questionable, I might consider just not bringing it if you are traveling in for the day and won't have anywhere to store stuff. Asking that email is good for guidance (and much more official than you telling you my opinion), but they can't make guarantees about what security will think day-of. Again, there's loads of metal things in the convention that aren't weapons (water bottles, mobility devices, tripods), but since you haven't said anything about what this item might be, it's hard to give you any real advice other than that suggestion.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If you really think it's questionable, I might consider just not bringing it if you are traveling in for the day and won't have anywhere to store stuff. Asking that email is good for guidance (and much more official than you telling you my opinion), but they can't make guarantees about what security will think day-of. Again, there's loads of metal things in the convention that aren't weapons, but since you haven't said anything about what this item might be, it's hard to give you any real advice other than that suggestion.
    It's a broom from the Wizarding World universe. It is mostly resin, but it has metal footholds and a metal ring around it which binds the "fibers" (fake floral type stuff)

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I would not expect that to be a problem at all. I am not an authority on this subject, but I would be surprised if that would be problematic. Seems like a big thing to lug down for one day, but you do you.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Heh. It's almost as tall as I am. :p We shall see.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Indeed. It can't hurt to send that email, still. Hopefully they have more concrete info than I have. In my opinion, that's no more dangerous than a camera tripod, but my opinion doesn't count in this case.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    While they couldn't give me a concrete yes or no, they were able to confirm for me that if you bring a prop and it's not approved, it can be held by security while you're attending the event.