As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Will Reach just be included, or be DLC (for a nominal fee) like ODST? Still, either way, good on them making MCC as comprehensive as it can be. The amount of work that's gone into just fixing it up, as well, really is impressive. Five years on and they're still treating it like a jewel in the crown, not just making it how it always should have been but continuing to improve and add to it. It's commendable.

And Minecraft on Game Pass reads like "shots fired".

on PC its part of the package, on console multiplayer will be added for free but campaign and Firefight will be paid DLC.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's insane that Microsoft took a big clusterfuck like MCC and have managed to turn it into a platform for continued positive updates. I feel like another company would have dropped that product like a hot potato.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing FF7, 9, or 10 on the Xbox Store before today. I did notice 12 when I was casually browsing the other night, though, and thought that was kinda interesting.

EDIT - Actually...come to think of it, I do seem to have a vague memory of an announcement about more Final Fantasy games coming to Xbox from some conference in the past few months. But it does look like 7, 10, and 12 are all still listed as preorders.

they had been announced. it had people curious because 8 was always conspicuously absent from the list.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    they're play anywhere too. we... even talked about it on an iteration of this thread?

IX is--and it's out now--but is that true for all of them? I imagine VII will be too, but X/X-2 is getting a "regular" physical release along with the usual digital copy.

Man, if X/X-2 is digital play anywhere....I'm going to have to buy the game twice. Because let's face it, ten years ago, no one would believe you could play Final Fantasy X-2 on an Xbox console. Much less more than fifteen when it came out.

No way I'm not going to have a physical copy with an Xbox banner on it. It'd be like not buying a physical release of Gears of War on Playstation.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    they're play anywhere too. we... even talked about it on an iteration of this thread?

You sure it was this thread and not the last thread? I just went back through pages 1-11 looking for anything FF related and couldn't find anything. Like I said, I vaguely remember seeing some kind of announcement a whiles back. It actually might've been during the last Inside Xbox that I watched.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    "Iteration" would suggest the previous thread. I remember discussing it as well, for the aforementioned reasons ("HOLY SHIT! YOU GUYS REMEMBER WHY PEOPLE LOST THEIR SHIT ABOUT FINAL FANTASY XIII COMING TO XBOX? NOW ALL THE GOOD ONES TOO?") around the time of XIII joining backwards compatibility I think.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

IX is--and it's out now--but is that true for all of them? I imagine VII will be too, but X/X-2 is getting a "regular" physical release along with the usual digital copy.

Man, if X/X-2 is digital play anywhere....I'm going to have to buy the game twice. Because let's face it, ten years ago, no one would believe you could play Final Fantasy X-2 on an Xbox console. Much less more than fifteen when it came out.

No way I'm not going to have a physical copy with an Xbox banner on it. It'd be like not buying a physical release of Gears of War on Playstation.

It's like a living embodiment of the guys who were all like "My uncle works for <platform holder> and he said <high profile rival exclusive> is coming out for <platform>". Anyone who ever worked in game retail, at least, has met one or more of them.

My fave was the guy in about 2003 who told me "My uncle works for Microsoft and he said Halo is coming out for PS2". An obvious one, but I couldn't resist shooting back. I told him that if he brought me in a copy of Halo for the PS2, I'd give him a free PS2 to play it on. He looked sort of stunned, turned around and walked off. Funnily enough, I never saw him again... :lol:

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm actually pretty curious how they'll handle Reach online. I wonder if the Spartan customization/credit earning is just gone and replaced with the weird built in customization that the other games used

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It drives me nuts that 8 isn't being released. That was the one where all my nostalgia is, and so it's the only one I'd be interested in replaying

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Honestly, I'm kind of sad by its absence too, and I wasn't even a particularly big fan of it (I didn't own a Playstation, and the PC release was crap, even compared to VII's crappy PC release, it was the bigger crap of the two).

It would be nice to have a chance to try it again on a familiar platform, assuming the port was competent.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    "Iteration" would suggest the previous thread. I remember discussing it as well, for the aforementioned reasons ("HOLY SHIT! YOU GUYS REMEMBER WHY PEOPLE LOST THEIR SHIT ABOUT FINAL FANTASY XIII COMING TO XBOX? NOW ALL THE GOOD ONES TOO?") around the time of XIII joining backwards compatibility I think.

So it's been a little whiles. No wonder I've mostly forgotten about it. With all the other game announcements (and game industry kerfuffle) going on between then and now (and real life stuffs), it's real easy for things to get lost in the noise.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

It's like a living embodiment of the guys who were all like "My uncle works for <platform holder> and he said <high profile rival exclusive> is coming out for <platform>". Anyone who ever worked in game retail, at least, has met one or more of them.

My fave was the guy in about 2003 who told me "My uncle works for Microsoft and he said Halo is coming out for PS2". An obvious one, but I couldn't resist shooting back. I told him that if he brought me in a copy of Halo for the PS2, I'd give him a free PS2 to play it on. He looked sort of stunned, turned around and walked off. Funnily enough, I never saw him again... :lol:

I think John Linneman at Digital Foundry summed it up best in the case of Final Fantasy XIII's announcement on Xbox 360.

"I don't know if you know anything about Japanese culture, but I'm an expert. And losing face is very serious. This is a very serious loss of face..."

Followed by him breaking into laughter.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Anyway, here's a recap of the highlights.

MCC comes to PC, as if anyone was surprised at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88VBun17AMI

A One Piece game. Those of you who like One Piece, congratulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnEboJaF5Uc

The Division 2 looks best on Xbox One X, unsurprisingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZFx_ntDOHU

And Bohemian Rhapsody's Red Dawn: Zombie battle Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5GP72YQqc

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is there a releas date for Reach?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Is there a releas date for Reach?

"Later this year"
    same with PC MCC

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I think we talked about it in February’s thread...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't remember seeing FF7, 9, or 10 on the Xbox Store before today. I did notice 12 when I was casually browsing the other night, though, and thought that was kinda interesting.

EDIT - Actually...come to think of it, I do seem to have a vague memory of an announcement about more Final Fantasy games coming to Xbox from some conference in the past few months. But it does look like 7, 10, and 12 are all still listed as preorders.

Damn my xbox being broke and me being broke! I've never played through 9. I should do that.

• Options
    I think we talked about it in February’s thread...

Found it posted on January 10. It wasn't mentioned again until FF9 was released...but, by that time, I was neck deep in Monster Hunter World on PC, Xbone, and PS4, and preparing for one of my cousin's wedding (and the harrowing road trip from North Seattle to SoCal).

What I'm saying is "Yeah, that falls in line with 'no wonder I forgot about the announcement'"

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Damn my xbox being broke and me being broke! I've never played through 9. I should do that.

You got a Windows 10 PC?

Buy it on the Windows Store, and you can keep playing it on your Xbox once you get one (thanks to cloud saving).

• Options
    Did they mention if MCC is play anywhere? (As in, would someone like me, who owns the digital version, also get the Win 10 version for free?)

• Options
    Did they mention if MCC is play anywhere? (As in, would someone like me, who owns the digital version, also get the Win 10 version for free?)

Haven't seen word yet one way or the other on if it's going to be a PA title.

However, while looking, I did come across this little snippet from their announcement page:
    We are laying the groundwork for PC native features such as excellent mouse and keyboard controls, support for multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, field-of-view sliders, and adjustable framerates, to name but a few. And yes, there will be support for Xbox gamepads and other PC controllers.

(Emphasis mine)

Really hoping that doesn't mean you have a toggle for flipping between 30 and 60 :P

• Options
    edited March 2019
    My second-hand Project Scorpio edition Xbonks showed up just now. No original box but the seller used a staggering amount of bubble wrap (a very good thing, of course) and it's in great shape. It's a bit cold outside today so I'm letting it sit and equalise with room temperature before I fire it up.

Also, holy shit it's heavy.

Jazz on
  • Options

Haven't seen word yet one way or the other on if it's going to be a PA title.

However, while looking, I did come across this little snippet from their announcement page:
    We are laying the groundwork for PC native features such as excellent mouse and keyboard controls, support for multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, field-of-view sliders, and adjustable framerates, to name but a few. And yes, there will be support for Xbox gamepads and other PC controllers.

(Emphasis mine)

Really hoping that doesn't mean you have a toggle for flipping between 30 and 60 :P

Probably just the option to set a max framerate and maybe even to leave it unlocked, if we're lucky.

On some games where it can vary a lot I tend to set a maximum if the option is there just to avoid wild swings (looking at you, Ghost Recon Wildlands).

• Options
    My second-hand Project Scorpio edition Xbonks showed up just now. No original box but the seller used a staggering amount of bubble wrap (a very good thing, of course) and it's in great shape. It's a bit cold outside today so I'm letting it sit and equalise with room temperature before I fire it up.

It's all that money packed into it.

Yes, the XB1X console is actually close to, or slightly heavier, than the PSFro, despite being much smaller by volume. It is really heavy. The only way to really appreciate why is to watch a tear-down video and realize how much stuff is crammed into there.

• Options
    edited March 2019

It's all that money packed into it.

Yes, the XB1X console is actually close to, or slightly heavier, than the PSFro, despite being much smaller by volume. It is really heavy. The only way to really appreciate why is to watch a tear-down video and realize how much stuff is crammed into there.

I don't doubt it. The vapor chamber cooling is probably a huge part of how they managed to pack it all in as well.

It's set up now (amazingly quiet!) and network transferring a few things. I'm remembering the transfer methods on older Xboxes. The original, memory card, if the game (well, publisher/dev) would let you, and if the file was small enough. 360, special accessory required. But Xbones? The choice of network transfer or external hard drive are just so much more humane, both excellent options.

First game getting installed is Mass Effect 2, because that's how I roll. :cool:

Edit: not so much a teardown as a building up of the Xbonks, this is a good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ii8mU3x7E

Jazz on
  • Options

Man, that PC next to my TV is rapidly running out of reasons to exist.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Holy wow that's cool

Now to convince my roomie to let me put my account on his gaming PC

• Options
    Haha, I'll have to see how this stacks up next to the 50 foot DVI-HDMI cable I've been using for almost a decade now.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It only works via Wi-Fi which is kinda nuts
    Like, my Xbox and PC are both connected to a wired network about 5 feet from each other, let me use that!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I hope Microsoft doesn't fuck up the next generation because betwe.en BC and announcements like this they are knocking it out of the park this gen.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I hope Microsoft doesn't fuck up the next generation because betwe.en BC and announcements like this they are knocking it out of the park this gen.

Yeah, especially given its difficult start in life, they've really made the Xbox One a genuinely phenomenal machine. It's come properly good and then some.

• Options
    I'm of the opinion quite a few of the Microsoft's technology "promises" (not promises) will ultimately not come to pass--remember when the Playstation 3 was going to be a Linux-running super-computer? Remember when the SNES was going to use a modem? Remember Kinect reading facial expressions?

However, the ones I'm most excited about--the incremental improvements to technology, and especially library support across multiple generations--look promising. If half as much ground is broken with the next Xbox as came with the Xbox One: cross-platform multiplayer, PC and phone integration, comprehensive legacy library support, video performance options--I'll be more than satisfied.

"I just want a better Xbox 360 that's more powerful." Sure, and you're welcome to it, but frankly I want a lot more. Hopefully those features are the way forward, the same way the original Xbox had a clear message: a unified online service is the way forward for consoles.

• Options
    Gamepass ain't going anywhere, and Microsoft has the infrastructure to do streaming as well as anyone else in the field, so I would be surprised of Xstream doesn't happen.

What tech "promises" are you suspicious of?

• Options
    Gamepass ain't going anywhere, and Microsoft has the infrastructure to do streaming as well as anyone else in the field, so I would be surprised of Xstream doesn't happen.

What tech "promises" are you suspicious of?

Comprehensive game streaming that overcomes both licensing and technology concerns, both in regards to dedicated "streaming-only" hardware and to older machines (and other consoles, tablets, and phones). Microsoft does have the infrastructure to do it as good as anyone else in the field, but everyone else in the field kind of sucks compared to the "real thing". Especially if you're farther away from cities, or in the whole continent of Australia.

But I can't say how well it's going to work out with any more certainty than anyone else. It's all guesswork here.

I also am dubious how the "All-Digital" (not necessarily streaming) console will work out as a commercial product, and how well Microsoft can market it compared to other hardware. I'm thinking more Windows Phone than Surface Pro. I'm not sure what to think of the Xbox emulation we're seeing integrated further into Windows 10, though considering the current state of Windows 10, who knows where anything is going.

But I've been proven wrong before (like the Giant Bomb guys, I thought the Xbox One S wouldn't sell well on initial release). "Skeptical" is more the word than "suspicious."

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Probably every single Xbox game being playable on Switch and iPhone and smart toasters. And PS5 through its internet browser.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Well, firstly, having steaming available doesn't mean streaming has to be avialable to every person on the planet. They're still going otobe selling a traditional box for those markets (or people who just don't want streaming). That said, Microsoft has a LOT of data centers around the world, including Australia.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/regions/

As for the discless Xbox; that's pretty obviously them testing the waters. If it flops they'll probably adjust their plans. I do not think they're arbitrarily going to drop it, but I also don't think they're going to cling to it like a life preserver if it doesn't work out.

The xbox emulation stuff is 100% non-Microsoft people picking shit out of test builds, so it's not even an official thing at this point; it's all internal experimentation.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's why I'm not going to lose any metaphorical sleep over them if they don't work out. These are all things that could fail, and really wouldn't effect the Xbox Division particularly much. They'd just move onto the next thing.

Which was sort of my original point.

• Options
    Sorry, it sounded like you were accusing them of peddling vaporware rather than being skeptical of their viablility. My bad.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Sorry, it sounded like you were accusing them of peddling vaporware rather than being skeptical of their viablility. My bad.

Haha, and here I worry about sounding too "Pro-M$".

I'm just cynical (and I think not too hard to please). I suppose "promises" is quotation marks does convey suspicion more than skepticism. These are, by and large, things no other company--Sega, Nintendo, Playstation, those companies like Jaguar and SNK we pretend don't exist--has ever attempted. Some of them, like Gaikai, have been attempted, but are mediocre at best. Microsoft has a few "firsts" under their belt, but they also like to engage in very optimistic projection that doesn't go anywhere, or ends up being something different.

Half that stuff could be described as "THE CLOUD." Which was basically the Xbox Thread's equivalent of "DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM" in the Nintendo thread. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    For maximum "WTF" value, I think I gotta spend a day streaming Halo MCC being run on my PC, stream it to my Xbone, and stream it on my Youtube channel.

This discussion has been closed.