As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Stadii

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Stadii

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, they aren't wrong, but at the same time, naming things is hard. Most of the good ones are already taken.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    As Gabe pointed out, they can name it whatever the hell they want if they just put Google in front of it like every single other of their services. Google Maps, Google Mail, etc.

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    I think it's meant to be the plural of "Stadium" (though I think the actual plural is stadiums). Listening to some of their pitches, this is meant to tie into streaming very closely - you can join in with your favorite streamers, you can easily stream to Youtube, you can buy games shown on Youtube streaming and join in right where the streamer you were watching was playing, etc.

That said, it's a stupid plan and a stupid name. The actual streaming isn't a bad idea, though I don't think the tech is ready (but someone has to push the bar, so Google is doing us a great service here). But it does sound like a medication or disease name.

"Ask your doctor about Stadia. Possible side effects may include halitosis, retroactive birth defects, scoliosis, lower back pain, feline leukemia, paralysis, coma, and death. If you are pregnant, have been pregnant, may become pregnant, or will be within 50 meters of a fetus, Stadia may not be for you."

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    They can name it whatever they want, because they're just going to shut it down within about 3-5 years.

I don't really trust any Google service beyond search, ads and maps to stick around beyond that time frame.

Mark my words: if Stadia is around in 10 years, it will have morphed into a Google messaging client.

• Options
    JackJack Registered User regular
    Stadia is the correct plural of "stadium" but that doesn't make it a good name for a gaming service.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That middle panel tho

• Options
    AraragiKyonAraragiKyon Registered User regular
    My own reaction was " Sounds like something halfway between medicine for common STDs and carcinogenic sugar substitute".

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    IIRC 'Stadia' was an old term for phases of fevers like Yellow fever and Black fever.

eg: https://books.google.co.uk/books/content?id=k3pZAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA6&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2j430nZvJ8OKL7jrGZBUOSKdAWlw

V1m on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    They can name it whatever they want, because they're just going to shut it down within about 3-5 years.

It's essentially a more powerful OnLive, and while Google's resources are massive and the idea is interesting, I don't foresee any success for this service.

I might still try it; I backed the Ouya after all, and don't regret it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'll give it a shot on my Chromebook just to try it but don't expect much.

I'm sure it will be impressive, but I just can't see it working with it current infrastructure.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I asked my girlfriend, who has no idea about this Google Stadia news, what the word "Stadia" means to her. She said:
    1) Plural of stadium.
    2) A disease of some sort.
    3) An adjective that is functionally identical to "stable" or "status quo".

:D

Google, I know that all the good names are taken and all. But Google Game Town is way better than what you came up with.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    'Cause we are born innocent
    Believe me, Stadia, we are still innocent.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    @DJIEM did they ever do anything with that system? Or was it just a port/modding box basically?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Well, it had a few gems: Towerfall debuted on Ouya.

The controllers sucked ass but we simply plugged in PS3 controllers, played Towerfall, Bombsquad, No Break Valet and tried all sorts of free games.

Overall, the Ouya was a failure but a very interesting experiment. I really wish it had succeeded, I liked it.