As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Blaster Master Zero 2 feels awesome but I suck at it. I don't remember it being this hard right off the start last time, I'm on the second boss (Mine Mite or something) and I can't figure out the pattern. He just stomps me every time.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Three of my 4 joycons have drift that make some games unplayable now. The joycons are very loose in handheld mode. And to top it off the back panel is getting loose and the system in general feels like it is literally falling apart.

So no, I'm not looking forward to spending a few hundred dollars on another Switch, but if they make it not a piece of shit then I guess I'm for it.

Also, there are already multiple games that run like shit or look like shit in handheld mode, so if the new system just brings those games, and games like them going forward, up to a more acceptable performance then I don't see how that makes your current Switch any less good.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    I understand people love new hardware but I would have been so much more excited if we were getting a big operating system update instead. I really need folders and/or sorting and would love to be able to hide the icons for non inserted cartridges.

No reason to think that both arent in development

It's been 2 years right? I doubt they're suddenly going to care that their UI is terrible

True, but if you are going to do an update, waiting to have one update to go along with the new hardware makes more sense than pushing out two different updates.

If anything, I'd say the lack of a previous update makes it more likely.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There was some speculation earlier about why the UI might be the way it is and I can't remember what it was. Might've been about keeping things simple for the sake of RAM and battery, and even then they keep having trouble with sleep mode. I don't use it at all anymore. Your game will probably crash or exhibit weird behavior if you put the Switch to sleep and resume later.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    There was some speculation earlier about why the UI might be the way it is and I can't remember what it was. Might've been about keeping things simple for the sake of RAM and battery, and even then they keep having trouble with sleep mode. I don't use it at all anymore. Your game will probably crash or exhibit weird behavior if you put the Switch to sleep and resume later.

I put my Switch to sleep constantly with games still open and can't recall having any crashes or poor performance. I wouldn't use my Switch if I had to power it down every time I'm done with it. Its main appeal to me is being able to play a few minutes of Wargroove here and there while cooking dinner.

• Options
    edited March 2019

I put my Switch to sleep constantly with games still open and can't recall having any crashes or poor performance. I wouldn't use my Switch if I had to power it down every time I'm done with it. Its main appeal to me is being able to play a few minutes of Wargroove here and there while cooking dinner.

Oh no I don't mean I power down my Switch, I mean I fully exit games and reopen them. It really doesn't take very long. My Switch sleeps, the games do not. Maybe some games are better about it than others.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I've definitely run into a lot of issues from sleeping games - but at the same time, I don't mind closing/starting the game when it happens because usually it takes several play sessions. But I'm also the type who leaves my desktop on all the time and restarts my work laptop one a month.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    The only thing I've had trouble with crashing is Enter the Gungeon when going to a new floor. Sometimes continuing loads the level it was going to load, sometimes it doesn't, but I think it's more related to the game than any pausing shenanigans.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Steamworld Quest coming April 25th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDRaVFooE0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The only game where I've run into sleep-mode issues is Diablo 3, where sometimes coming back would lead to a semi-frozen game. I could open some menus, but I couldn't make the character move at all. Like, the UI layer was fine, but the world was frozen.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Starlink I think doesn't completely go to sleep. Because the in game timer said after 3 days I played for 72 hours, which... I obviously didn't. It's good but not THAT good to dedicate a 3 day bender on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I know Nintendo has limited standards these days, but you'd think automated testing of going in/out of sleep mode would be one of those things required for certification.

Edit: eshop standards people! Not bagging on Nintendo for everything else they may or may not do wrong.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I will say though I have otherwise had absolutely no problem at all with any game and sleep mode.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Starlink I think doesn't completely go to sleep. Because the in game timer said after 3 days I played for 72 hours, which... I obviously didn't. It's good but not THAT good to dedicate a 3 day bender on.

If you leave the game running while in sleep mode, it will continue to run. I’ve seen this a lot with games with in game timers (like rpgs). If you leave it on the Switch menu and then put it to sleep, it shouldn’t have this issue.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I know Nintendo has limited standards these days, but you'd think automated testing of going in/out of sleep mode would be one of those things required for certification.

The problem is replicating exactly what it takes for problems to manifest. Maybe you never see a single issue if you sleep for 5 minutes and go right back to the game, but letting it sit for 48 hours causes the game to break after 1 hour of additional play, in a specific intensive area of the game.

And there's nothing that guarantees any given game won't crash. Warframe's latest giant expansion and series of patches cause the game to crash constantly for me and I'm not even putting the system to sleep. Crashes for everyone else, too. Seems to be related to moving too quickly in the open world, streaming too much data too fast. Which has been really inconvenient given the big event going on there right now. You have to defend a canister filling up with orange goo 4 times in a row, and on two separate occasions, my game crashed while carrying the canister, depriving everyone else in the group of finishing it. :( Happened to countless others as well.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    edit: nevermind

urahonky on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

lol

I mean, the left joycon thing, the tabletop brace, the wii u, the fact that 500 points or gold coins or whatever in switch games and system will get you a shiny new background for a dead system, and etc.

he's not wrong!

• Options
    I know I haven't played every game for the switch and absolutely never will, but so far literally none of the 20 or so games I own have this sleeping problem.

Aside from being sometimes annoying to search on the gameshop, I really don't have any complaints. It's a tough little system.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    edit: nevermind

urahonky on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The system itself is pretty tough but the joycons are the failure point for me.
    If they can come up with a system with better joycons I'm there day one.

• Options
    I see we're going to start this shit for the next two or so pages and it's because I took the bait. Sorry.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I have been on the fence about the steamworld games but this one I feel I will get

• Options
    Whats the problem with the joycons? Their general construction or some kind of layout thing?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sorry I strictly meant eshop standards. As in they appear to let nearly anything on these days. And I don't think that's necessarily bad in terms of content! But more quality control with regard to crashing might be nice.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

I have been on the fence about the steamworld games but this one I feel I will get

that's wonderful!

for reference, this is a gomphus

r78au1iha2dx.jpg

• Options
    If there is one major "No sir I don't like it" issue I have with the Switch right now, it's... the rumble. I think the only HD rumble I've thought was actually great was the opening rumble in Blaster Master. Otherwise, I don't know if it's due to just bad rumble mixing from devs, or if the controllers are defective, but when it rumbles hard and loud it is the most earsplitting grinding rumble sound that makes me think the controller is broken or something. I could deal with loud rumble, but this is bad loud rumble, and in most games I end up turning the thing off. I've even been driven to opening up my pro controller and tried stuffing some padding in where the rumble motors are, and it still sounds like horrible grinding.

• Options
    If there is one major "No sir I don't like it" issue I have with the Switch right now, it's... the rumble. I think the only HD rumble I've thought was actually great was the opening rumble in Blaster Master. Otherwise, I don't know if it's due to just bad rumble mixing from devs, or if the controllers are defective, but when it rumbles hard and loud it is the most earsplitting grinding rumble sound that makes me think the controller is broken or something. I could deal with loud rumble, but this is bad loud rumble, and in most games I end up turning the thing off. I've even been driven to opening up my pro controller and tried stuffing some padding in where the rumble motors are, and it still sounds like horrible grinding.

umm

you may have a defective controller

or are you talking about joycons? I can't use them so I can't really comment on them.

If you have Skyrim and a pro controller, the rumble is a godsend!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Giving Shining Resonance Refrain a run though. Man this is a bad time to be playing a game like this that came out when it did given how much of a fucking meme Isekai is nowadays, and this game checks off close to all of the trope boxes that eventually formed the Isekai plague. I kinda like the combat(mostly because Rinna is stupid broken) but man I do not really care about the characters at all right now.

Except Agnum. Agnum is bro.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Three things:

1) I love my Switch. My only issue with it is not having enough time to play on it.

2) April is looking even more amazing! Shazam, Avengers, GoT, Hearthstone expansion, Steamworld Quest, and Kobra f’n Kai!

3) All the Steamworld games are quality and should be owned by everyone.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't played any SteamWorld games. I buy a lot of indies but I never bit on the Dig series because theres so many MetroidvaniaISH games to play. I dont like card based videogames either, so this one is going to be a hard sell, last one was prob Beten Kaitos.

Quest does look beautiful though, I'll give it that, it's just the gameplay looks ehhh.

• Options
    Whats the problem with the joycons? Their general construction or some kind of layout thing?

the eventual drift (I believe it's usually the left one (at least ours does according to my smaller handed family)). I've watched my son play and get frustrated because the joycon will randomly move him even when he's not touching it.

for me personally, I can't use them because they hurt my hands after a couple of minutes

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I got my brother the Splatoon edition switch and the joycons in it were Junk which lead him to play with my system for a time {I did not know he was doing this} So come last holiday season he asks if he can get new Joycons since his are junk {It would not keep a charge} But he pointed out Nintendo said they would replace them if he sent them in {I don't know if that time has ended or what}

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

the eventual drift (I believe it's usually the left one (at least ours does according to my smaller handed family)). I've watched my son play and get frustrated because the joycon will randomly move him even when he's not touching it.

for me personally, I can't use them because they hurt my hands after a couple of minutes

The "Drift" is dirt that gets in the controller. It's not the left one, though that seems more common because more games use it as the primary stick.

It can be fixable with some time, a very small screw driver, and some compressed air. But after the second time it happened to me I just up and bought a new joycon. But after two years of heavy minecraft use, that right joycon lasted well IMO.

• Options
    I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't played any SteamWorld games. I buy a lot of indies but I never bit on the Dig series because theres so many MetroidvaniaISH games to play. I dont like card based videogames either, so this one is going to be a hard sell, last one was prob Beten Kaitos.

Quest does look beautiful though, I'll give it that, it's just the gameplay looks ehhh.

The Dig games aren’t really Metroivania games. More like, dive underground, gather gems, find a checkpoint, return to the surface, sell gems, upgrade gear, dive again. It does have unlockable gear, but those usually just help you dig deeper instead of backtracking.

Heist is turn-based tactical shooter. Think 2d Xcom with robots and hats. Each ship you raid is procedurally generated to increase replay ability.

I honestly can’t recommend the games enough. No game overstays it’s welcome by clocking in around 10-15 hours.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The Dig games aren’t really Metroivania games. More like, dive underground, gather gems, find a checkpoint, return to the surface, sell gems, upgrade gear, dive again. It does have unlockable gear, but those usually just help you dig deeper instead of backtracking.

Heist is turn-based tactical shooter. Think 2d Xcom with robots and hats. Each ship you raid is procedurally generated to increase replay ability.

I honestly can’t recommend the games enough. No game overstays it’s welcome by clocking in around 10-15 hours.
    Didn't get very far in Dig 1, but I'm pretty sure that in Dig 2 you did need to unlock certain gear to progress past certain points.

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I'm really hyped about the possible new switch designs. I've been holding off on grabbing a switch because I want to use it in handheld mode 100% of the time, but I'm aware that the performance is downgraded and can be pretty noticeable depending on the game, even if the switch is still plugged in. (I'm wanting to play it in my bed or on the couch without hooking up to the TV, so keeping power plugged in is no big deal). I'm hoping at least one of the two new models will at least use 100% performance in hand held mode (even if it has to be plugged in to do so, I don't care).

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Tonight I am finally going to play final fantasy 7. I hope i can finish it before Cuphead drops.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular

I was slightly more interested in Heist, but still didn't pull the trigger. At some point I will check them out. Everyone seems to love them, I'm just delightfully inundated with indie at this point.

As for a Switch redesign, I guess I'm in the "kinda doesn't care" group. I've only taken my Switch on the go a handful of times and it mostly just stays docked. I could def see cheaper 2DS version being popular, but besides that, my Switch does pretty much everything I could ask of it. Besides the boring, nonadjustable interface, and the internet service I haven't felt compelled to pay for.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I wasn't very big on Dig 1, but Steamworld Heist is super fun. Got it for cheap on PC and while it's very short, I loved every minute of it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

Didn't get very far in Dig 1, but I'm pretty sure that in Dig 2 you did need to unlock certain gear to progress past certain points.

Oh yeah, you'll get to a point where you need a piece of gear or upgrade from a boss to dig deeper. In that regard, yeah it's a bit metroidvania. But there's little to no backtracking required, at least in Dig 1. Just keep going deeper!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page