Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'd never have worked out how to get to the lower right pink island in Baba if I hadn't just had it happen by accident.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    I hope this (rather interesting) Monolith news doesn't mean my dream of XCX on Switch has to die.
    I think they've already ruled it out as unlikely for the foreseeable future, sadly.

I hope they do it but I'm guessing they might just end up doing a sequel instead.

I'm oddly conflicted about a direct XCX sequel.

On the one hand, I really want one. If only so that we'll get a proper Prone, or Wrothian, or Orphean party member, instead of a couple of one-of aliens. I like Mira and I like NLA and I like all the aliens and I just want to see that budding new society grow.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want them to actually resolve XCX's cliffhanger ending. I have the feeling they'd screw it up.

Yeah, I have no idea how you resolve that stinger tbh. Hopefully someone worked out the how of it when they wrote it.

I think a great way to handle a sequel would be to follow another one of the colony ships as it lands on another planet. They can have a parallel set of adventures, and they can either find the same issues they did in the first game - or find another different weirder one! Then they can have the meta question of why the ships are different.

The XCX artbook had something very interesting. On a picture of Mira there is a structure that looks like a second (but different) habitat unit.
    Given the fact that mims are supposed to be remotely controlled something is keeping the population of NLA "alive"/functioning.

Depending on how far you want to go with fandom speculation after XC2 you could have Alvis/Ontos having custodianship of the BLADEs/digitized minds of everyone that was stored in the Lifehold computer.

Maybe Lao was just reactivated in a new body.

Main story aside, what about about the ending to Yelv's mission line? Christ.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There is a mission in XCX that implies a second survivor ship managed to get to the new planet. A sequel where the starting colonizers were able to settle normally would be interesting

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I hope this (rather interesting) Monolith news doesn't mean my dream of XCX on Switch has to die.
    I think they've already ruled it out as unlikely for the foreseeable future, sadly.

I hope they do it but I'm guessing they might just end up doing a sequel instead.

On the one hand, I really want one. If only so that we'll get a proper Prone, or Wrothian, or Orphean party member, instead of a couple of one-of aliens. I like Mira and I like NLA and I like all the aliens and I just want to see that budding new society grow.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want them to actually resolve XCX's cliffhanger ending. I have the feeling they'd screw it up.

Yeah, I have no idea how you resolve that stinger tbh. Hopefully someone worked out the how of it when they wrote it.

I think a great way to handle a sequel would be to follow another one of the colony ships as it lands on another planet. They can have a parallel set of adventures, and they can either find the same issues they did in the first game - or find another different weirder one! Then they can have the meta question of why the ships are different.

The XCX artbook had something very interesting. On a picture of Mira there is a structure that looks like a second (but different) habitat unit.
    Given the fact that mims are supposed to be remotely controlled something is keeping the population of NLA "alive"/functioning.

Depending on how far you want to go with fandom speculation after XC2 you could have Alvis/Ontos having custodianship of the BLADEs/digitized minds of everyone that was stored in the Lifehold computer.

XC/XCX/XC2 endings
    The Ontos core would make sense if used as an explanation - it clearly has the capacity for that. But there really isn't anything to indicate the worlds have any contact (...mostly. There's Nopons, and especially the sword of legendariness, but... easily handwaved as cameo stuff - consider that both XC and XC2 have independently evolved Nopons without a common source... well, I guess there was a point of contact but I'm fairly sure it's coincidence). I don't buy Ontos=Alvis mainly because of chronology. Ontos is lost after the split, but Alvis was present for it.... well, I suppose Alvis could be a fork, much like Zamza is...

There's still other strangeness going on with Mira beyond just that. Lao washing up on a shore (yeah, a new mim could make sense, but I think the implication is that's not a mim, given the final boss sequence). No language barriers (think this actually is called out somewhere). Professor B in general. The fact that you arrive later than the ones pursuing you. Nopons.

Like, nothing with that planet makes sense at all. And the game calls a lot of it out. It demands resolution.

Actually, that leads back to my speculation for your amnesia at the start of the game - you got woken up right when the lifehold's lower sections finally gave out. I don't believe any quest ever ends up with finding any more survivors after you either (whether intended or not, and I grant I didn't 100% sidequests). Basically, anyone who had been woken up by that point has their consciousness preserved by Mira, everyone still in cold storage is lost, and you're a partial copy because of bad timing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

XC/XCX/XC2 endings
    The Ontos core would make sense if used as an explanation - it clearly has the capacity for that. But there really isn't anything to indicate the worlds have any contact (...mostly. There's Nopons, and especially the sword of legendariness, but... easily handwaved as cameo stuff - consider that both XC and XC2 have independently evolved Nopons without a common source... well, I guess there was a point of contact but I'm fairly sure it's coincidence). I don't buy Ontos=Alvis mainly because of chronology. Ontos is lost after the split, but Alvis was present for it.... well, I suppose Alvis could be a fork, much like Zamza is...

There's still other strangeness going on with Mira beyond just that. Lao washing up on a shore (yeah, a new mim could make sense, but I think the implication is that's not a mim, given the final boss sequence). No language barriers (think this actually is called out somewhere). Professor B in general. The fact that you arrive later than the ones pursuing you. Nopons.

Like, nothing with that planet makes sense at all. And the game calls a lot of it out. It demands resolution.

Actually, that leads back to my speculation for your amnesia at the start of the game - you got woken up right when the lifehold's lower sections finally gave out. I don't believe any quest ever ends up with finding any more survivors after you either (whether intended or not, and I grant I didn't 100% sidequests). Basically, anyone who had been woken up by that point has their consciousness preserved by Mira, everyone still in cold storage is lost, and you're a partial copy because of bad timing.

More spoilery speculation talk:
    The colonists themselves, those who weren't in Mims and running around New LA are perfectly fine and are ready to be vat grown back in to existence. The Mims of New LA were all in a separate area, the one destroyed at the end credits stinger. That area was specifically designed for them to control Mims and take care of the ship.

So for a sequel you would have garden variety humans and immortal machine people.

And yeah they do call out the "no language barrier" thing. It was a pretty cool "oh shit" moment.

In fact the game plays off players' game savvy to fuck with em.

When you first play the game you just take it for granted that there is no fall damage or that you can sprint forever or a child can wield a huge mini-gun or that everyone speaks the same language because it is a game so of course. :razz:

Upon replaying the game you can actually spot a fair number of hints pointing towards the Mim twist.

Like in town there was a woman who was mourning the loss of her husband and her friend is all, "Don't worry you'll see him again soon enough." First time through I thought that was dark as fuck.

Then there is the Barista who breaks all the machines she touches. At first blush it is just a standard "bad with machines" trope, but it isn't just cosmic happenstance, her Mim is actually faulty and is literally interfering with machines.

God I loved XCX!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Axen wrote: »

XC/XCX/XC2 endings

More spoilery speculation talk:
    The colonists themselves, those who weren't in Mims and running around New LA are perfectly fine and are ready to be vat grown back in to existence. The Mims of New LA were all in a separate area, the one destroyed at the end credits stinger. That area was specifically designed for them to control Mims and take care of the ship.

So for a sequel you would have garden variety humans and immortal machine people.

And yeah they do call out the "no language barrier" thing. It was a pretty cool "oh shit" moment.

In fact the game plays off players' game savvy to fuck with em.

When you first play the game you just take it for granted that there is no fall damage or that you can sprint forever or a child can wield a huge mini-gun or that everyone speaks the same language because it is a game so of course. :razz:

Upon replaying the game you can actually spot a fair number of hints pointing towards the Mim twist.

Like in town there was a woman who was mourning the loss of her husband and her friend is all, "Don't worry you'll see him again soon enough." First time through I thought that was dark as fuck.

Then there is the Barista who breaks all the machines she touches. At first blush it is just a standard "bad with machines" trope, but it isn't just cosmic happenstance, her Mim is actually faulty and is literally interfering with machines.

God I loved XCX!
    Hmm. Pretty sure it was all a single database, wasn't it? The upper area was just the raw material for the vats and such. On the other hand it still has some degree of data to spit out chimaeras, so... it's been a long time since I did that part. Could be separate though, actually, since storage you won't need to read from can be packed denser and in other forms.

Though yeah, the various game things that are retroactively explained by the mim twist are great.

In non spoilerly talk... skells are great and do such a good job of selling the whole mecha fantasy. You get your first one and now you can go robot stompy time all over shit.

I mean, technically on foot is more powerful once you break the game wide open iirc, but... nope don't care. <3 Verus and it's giant laser murder sword. Also they're the best implementation of transforming robots ever - the animations actually make sense (when you do it standing still, and they slowly rearrange through things to keep their balance during the sequence as opposed to flippy quick transforms when running/driving). I hope a sequel adds a bit more depth to them with skills and such, it always felt like "mash weapons on cooldown and cross fingers for cockpit procs".

Polaritie on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Worst case
    They just make new vat humans and go from there. We know bio humans are literally toxic to the bad guys. They need to make more. Besides there are worse things than being an immortal robot.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Worst case
    They just make new car humans and go from there. We know bio humans are literally toxic to the bad guys. They need to make more. Besides there are worse things than being an immortal robot.
    Sure, being stuck in a mim isn't a terrible fate, as things go. You have to expect some of them are all on board the transhumanism wagon anyways.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Worst case
    They just make new car humans and go from there. We know bio humans are literally toxic to the bad guys. They need to make more. Besides there are worse things than being an immortal robot.
    Sure, being stuck in a mim isn't a terrible fate, as things go. You have to expect some of them are all on board the transhumanism wagon anyways.
    I suppose it probably wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility (given the scifi setting and alien tech) that they could just use the machine to pump out human babies.

Not as useful as a ready-to-work human adult, but the species would survive.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Ain’t there a dedicated thread for XCx?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Yeah, there's a xenoblade thread if someone digs enough pages back...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    How do you people remember this stuff? I 100%'d the game and can only vaguely remember what you're talking about after you bring it up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    How do you people remember this stuff? I 100%'d the game and can only vaguely remember what you're talking about after you bring it up.

Because we were obsessed with the questions then too, and that's how memory works.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Some people use their brain space to catalog important information on the real world, I use mine to store useless video game trivia.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Video game trivia isn’t important information?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Spending way too much time on Cantlin in DQ Builders. Farming drackies for grass seeds so I can finally make the ground tileset of the town into a nice green instead of a chaotic mix of stone and dirt. Gives me absolutely no points but makes it feel/look more like a quaint lil JRPG village.

Know I'm going to have to leave it behind eventually in the next chapter but its hard not to get invested in my small little hamlet.

Way too little room left though so I'm forcing all future villagers to just sleep at the inn. I'm grateful blacksmith dude taught me how to make iron recipes but should have got in on the ground floor.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Finally figured out the trick to Forest of Fall 13 in Baba is You.

This damn game.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dragon Quest Builders 2 PAX East demo gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbWpnIRR8g

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Spending way too much time on Cantlin in DQ Builders. Farming drackies for grass seeds so I can finally make the ground tileset of the town into a nice green instead of a chaotic mix of stone and dirt. Gives me absolutely no points but makes it feel/look more like a quaint lil JRPG village.

Know I'm going to have to leave it behind eventually in the next chapter but its hard not to get invested in my small little hamlet.

Way too little room left though so I'm forcing all future villagers to just sleep at the inn. I'm grateful blacksmith dude taught me how to make iron recipes but should have got in on the ground floor.

Ch 2 is fine, even has an enemy I was happy to see.

Ch 3 is the one you want to delay imo.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I realised I'm near 400 hours on Has Been Heroes...

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

that looks like a lot of text!

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

that looks like a lot of text!
    One of the pleasant surprises of the first game is that its more of an RPG than I was initially expecting.

A lot of character and dialog.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Worst case
    They just make new vat humans and go from there. We know bio humans are literally toxic to the bad guys. They need to make more. Besides there are worse things than being an immortal robot.
    Not so much toxic as they have the blueprint for a bioweapon embedded in their DNA. And it's lethal to pretty much everyone who isn't human, and possibly that other species that was fighting over Earth. I assume that if the Ganglion hadn't destroyed Earth, then the second group would inevitably have gained control of the bioweapon and everyone else would have been screwed. As long as any humans or records of the human genome continue to exist, the threat will continue.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I realised I'm near 400 hours on Has Been Heroes...

I don't think I've ever seen a game as underated as Has been heroes.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I liked it for a while but you get to a certain point and it's just basically impossible to proceed. Enemies too tanky to kill or cause too many problems.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Big changes to HAL Laboratory properties..Kirby is now square, and Boxboy is now round:

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Has Been Heroes is a very fun game but with terrible in game tutorials and explanations. I'm still not fully sure whether the rogue has faster or slower spell recharge than normal because they phrase it differently for her than everything else I've seen.

Also having to buy an item/spell first before knowing what it does in further runs is a really rough mechanic, it really makes you feel like you have to decide how viable your run is, and whether you want to risk it on an unknown item.

sig.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Leave it to time zones to stretch one day into two.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Played a couple hours of Yoshi. There is a lot of content here. Most of it is fetch quest collectathon stuff, but the world is so damn charming I haven’t grown tired of it at all. I 100% the first world, and almost the second, and then just started blasting through the rest. Fully plan on getting all the costumes, but some of those flowers are going to be very tough to get. I

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Big changes to HAL Laboratory properties..Kirby is now square, and Boxboy is now round:

The worst April Fool's jokes are the ones that you see and think "You know what? Yeah, do that. It would be kind of awesome."

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Played the first few levels of Unruly Heroes...

Does this get better?

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

The worst April Fool's jokes are the ones that you see and think "You know what? Yeah, do that. It would be kind of awesome."

Ball Boy would actually open up some interesting puzzle possibilities, You can keep Square Kirby however. That boy has some cursed energy.

Picked up Yoshi over the weekend. The music is sort of bland (not bad necessarily), but the game itself is beautiful and charming and has some really neat level designs and puzzles. I like how the game branches out after you finish the first boss, so you can pick and choose your routes. The flip-side stuff and extra objectives add some neat replay value as well. Free-throwing eggs is a godsend game mechanic.

edzepp on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I picked up Baba is You.

I'm really unsure if I'm handling half these puzzles right. When in doubt, Baba is You, Baba is Win.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I picked up Baba is You.

I'm really unsure if I'm handling half these puzzles right. When in doubt, Baba is You, Baba is Win.

If you win, you’re handling them correctly.

Speaking of, I literally just solved this one:

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm smart enough for Baba is You, honestly. I find it hard to parse what some of the texts are even meant to do.

I completed the Finale level, but i don't know how keen I am to go back to it.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I picked up Baba is You.

Not sure I understand TEXT HAS BABA.

I also have been staring at it for a good while. What’d you do?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    I picked up Baba is You.

Explanation of the HAS mechanic:
    If A HAS B, then when A is destroyed it leaves B behind.

In this case TEXT HAS BABA so whenever any words are destroyed (say by SINKping them in the WATER) they'll leave behind a BABA.

(My) Solution to Forest of Fall - Extra 3 "Deep Pool"
    Set up TEXT HAS BABA, then sink the KEKE text block you started with into the bottom center of the pool, leaving behind a BABA

Then change it to BABA HAS TEXT and sink one of your BABAs into the bottom right square of the pool, leaving behind the TEXT "BABA".

Then set up TEXT HAS BABA and repeat this until you work your way around the circle leaving you with two BABAs and only the bottom left chunk of pool remaining.

Then sink one of the two BABAs you'll have into the pool, and push it down to set up BABA HAS BABA so if BABA dies it leaves behind a BABA. You are invincible.

Go up and set up FLAG IS WIN, walking through skull like a boss, then walk back to the FLAG for the WIN.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    In Baba is you I had to chuckle when I found out
    How double negatives worked.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I picked up Baba is You.

Explanation of the HAS mechanic:
    If A HAS B, then when A is destroyed it leaves B behind.

In this case TEXT HAS BABA so whenever any words are destroyed (say by SINKping them in the WATER) they'll leave behind a BABA.

(My) Solution to Forest of Fall - Extra 3 "Deep Pool"
    Set up TEXT HAS BABA, then sink the KEKE text block you started with into the bottom center of the pool, leaving behind a BABA

Then change it to BABA HAS TEXT and sink one of your BABAs into the bottom right square of the pool, leaving behind the TEXT "BABA".

Then set up TEXT HAS BABA and repeat this until you work your way around the circle leaving you with two BABAs and only the bottom left chunk of pool remaining.

Then sink one of the two BABAs you'll have into the pool, and push it down to set up BABA HAS BABA so if BABA dies it leaves behind a BABA. You are invincible.

Go up and set up FLAG IS WIN, walking through skull like a boss, then walk back to the FLAG for the WIN.

That was my solution as well.