As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Mueller Report: Trump not NOT a criminal

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Who runs that shit show? I imagine it'll be like Graham's hearing with Barr. "So how much did Hillary clinton ruin the election for your daddy?"

Richard Burr, NC.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Who runs that shit show? I imagine it'll be like Graham's hearing with Barr. "So how much did Hillary clinton ruin the election for your daddy?"

Richard Burr, NC.

Yep full shit show. So what story are they racing to get in front of now?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    god axios is so bad, anyways here's who's actually on that committee:

Committee Chairman (R)
    Richard Burr, North Carolina

Committee Vice Chairman (D)
    Mark Warner, Virginia

Republicans
    James Risch, Idaho
    Marco Rubio, Florida
    Susan Collins, Maine
    Roy Blunt, Missouri
    Tom Cotton, Arkansas
    John Cornyn, Texas
    Ben Sasse, Nebraska

Democrats
    Dianne Feinstein, California
    Ron Wyden, Oregon
    Martin Heinrich, New Mexico
    Angus King, Maine
    Kamala Harris, California
    Michael Bennet, Colorado

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    House Judiciary Committee is right now voting on whether or not to find Barr in contempt. A voice vote was followed by a request to call the roll, so they're in the middle of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hWmHcwNfxU

Rius on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm here for that Harris questioning

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Oh please please PLEASE let Jr. talk to Kamala Harris. It would be so, so good.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Two of the members of the committee (I'm not sure who) are currently in another hearing. To keep the vote open, members on both sides kept asking to confirm how they were recorded (having voted moments ago), then confirming they'd been confirmed. This carried on for a few minutes before the chair said "yeah everyone should be recorded, this is an important vote, we'll hold the vote open, ya'll don't have to keep stalling"

Anyone who wonders why shit doesn't happen faster in government would be enlightened by watching an hour or three of proceedings like these

Rius on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    We need to get some smarter Democrats on Senate intel. Yikes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Tuned into the Barr vote just in time to see committee members repeatedly asking the clerk what their own votes were recorded as to keep the vote open for 2 late committee members. Thankfully Nadler eventually put an end to that and declared they'd just keep the vote open without having to keep up that charade.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

What's weird is why is King there he's an independent isn't he?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    24-16 the committee finds Barr in contempt

edit: or recommends that he should be found in contempt? I'm not sure exactly what the process is here, but Barr don' been contemptable

Rius on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

What's weird is why is King there he's an independent isn't he?

He caucuses with the Democrats.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Senate Intel has actually been acting semi-professionally, to the point where I think Burr may actually kinda give a shit about the nation as a whole.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Senate Intel has actually been acting semi-professionally, to the point where I think Burr may actually kinda give a shit about the nation as a whole.

That was prior to the house democrats getting in charge. Like the senate GOP treated their intel as the adult in the room versus Nunes being a literal Trump operative. But since the 2018 election Senate Intel has dipped more into the derp side.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

agree, Burr and Warner have not been terrible. They've been actually professional and non-evil so far.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

were there abstentions? I expected a pure partisan split. How many people on that committee?

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

edit: or recommends that he should be found in contempt? I'm not sure exactly what the process is here, but Barr don' been contemptable

Sounds like it goes to the House for a vote now. Still not sure if they are voting to have him arrested, or to refer the subpoena to a federal court, or (lol) the justice department.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

It was better in the previous congress....

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

were there abstentions? I expected a pure partisan split. How many people on that committee?

40. It was a pure partisan split.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I have a 100 posts to catch up on, and I'm sure it's been said, but how the fuck do they get to claim executive priceline on this? And how are Republicans on his side? If POTUS was a Democrat he'd already be in jail.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

I wasn't paying too close attention, but I think at least one Republican congressperson wasn't in their seat when the roll was called. Then again, the chair held it open for two more Democrats to return from [doing something else], so you'd figure anyone who wanted to be counted was counted.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So if the house also votes to hold him in contempt, and house democrats are cowardly enough to send this to the DoJ, and the DoJ tells Trump "Hey boss, whatever just use executive privilege like we told you to, we don't care", can democrats then change their minds and tell the Sergeant-of-Arms to pick Barr up and haul him away, like they should at the first opportunity? Or are there three different kinds of contempt or something? Or does it have to go to the attorney of DC?

Absalon on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Nadler's letter regarding executive privilege:

https://documentcloud.org/documents/5993677-IMG-0016.html#document/p1

tl;dr: lol no

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can we get a citation on Nadler's letter RE: Executive Privilege? Every news story I can Google on him is from this morning or prior.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Accordingly, the last-minute claims of the "protective" blanket assertion of executive privilege over the entirety of the subpoenaed materials does not change the fact that Attorney General William P. Barr is in contempt of Congress today for failing to turn over lawfully subpoenaed documents.

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a mic drop written so perfectly in a government letter.

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    I just don't get how so many Republicans are supporting all of this. When we have a democratic president what's to stop them from doing the same shit? This should be about protection our democracy not about sticking it to the libs.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I just don't get how so many Republicans are supporting all of this. When we have a democratic president what's to stop them from doing the same shit? This should be about protection our democracy not about sticking it to the libs.

Party Before Country is only patriotic when you're a republican.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Democrats following the rules is what will stop it. They know it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily.

This is important to internalize.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is Don Jr. being subpoena'd only because the Mueller report and evidence are effectively locked down? I'm wondering if the GOP is calling him in as a move - the move being, the Democrats were planning to do so when they had the aforementioned materials, but now that they probably can't get those materials the GOP wants to rub it in by calling in one of the witnesses to show how "wrong" and "desperate" the Democrats have been over this.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can we get a citation on Nadler's letter RE: Executive Privilege? Every news story I can Google on him is from this morning or prior.

Typos and abbreviations are mine, I'll try and fix some of them. @Henroid
    On the evening before the scheduled date of the Committee's meeting to consider a resolution holding the AG in contempt, and while negotiations were ongoing, the Com. received a letter from Ass AG Boyd that stated, "In the face of the Com threatened contempt vote, the AG will be compelled to request that the Pres invoke EP with respect to the materials subject to subpoena." He then requested that "the Com. hold the subpoena in abeyance and delay any vote on whether to recommend a citation for contempt for noncompliance with subpoena, pending the Pres determination of this question." Although Boyd clarified that this request was "not itself an assertion of executive privilege," he did explain that should the Com decide "to proceed in spite of this request... the AG will advise the Pres to make a protective assertion of EP over the subpoenaed material, which undoubtedly includes material covered by EP." Today, during the Com meeting, the Com received a letter from Boyd stating "that the Pres as asserted EP over the entirety of the subpoenaed materials," and that this was a "protective assertion" of the privilege. Mr Boyd attached a letter dated the day of the Com meeting, from AG Barr to the Pres requesting that the Pres "make a protective assertion of EP." No other evidence of the Pres assertion of privilege was provided.

The com has a number of concerns about the validity of this assertion: (1) the purported protective assertion is not a valid claim of privilege, including because EP has been broadly waived in this case as a matter of law and fact; (2) the proposed assertion could have been made previously and at the very least, by May 1, 2019, the subpoena return date; (3) the correspondence does not contain a statement by the Pres himself asserting the privilege; (4) it is not credible that "the entirety of the subpoenaed material" consists of "communications authored or solicited and received by those members of an immediate WH advisers staff who have broad and significant responsibility for investigating and formulating the advice to be given the Pres on the particular matter to which the communications relate"(superscript 1); it is not credible that the entirety of the materials are subject to other constitutionally recognized privileges; (6) the assertion is suspect with respect to redacted portions of the Report because the AG himself has indicated a willingness to allow an arbitrarily limited number of Members to view those materials; (7) the DoJ has failed to provide any details by which the Com might evaluate the applicability of the privilege, such as senders and recipients of the documents, or the privilege log and other information called for by the subpoena; (8) even if the assertion of the privilege were valid as in initial matter, which it is not, the assertion has been overcome here as: (i) the Com has demonstrated as sufficient need for the documents as they are likely to contain evidence critical to the Com inquiry; (ii) the documents sought cannot expeditiously be obtained any other way; and (iii) any EP that could be asserted to the report has been waived when the Pres previously made the decision not to assert EP over any portion of the report, as announced by the AG; (9) there is substantial evidence indicating that the Pres engaged in obstruction of justice and other misconduct, and therefore the public interest in the fair administration of justice outweighs the Pres generalized interest in confidentiality; (10) and with these documents, the Com cannot fully perform its vital legislative, oversight, and constitutional duties. Accordingly, the last minute claims the "protective" blanket assertion of EP over the entirety of the subpoenaed materials does not change the fact that AG Barr is in contempt of Congress today for failing to turn over lawfully subpoenaed documents.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is Don Jr. being subpoena'd only because the Mueller report and evidence are effectively locked down? I'm wondering if the GOP is calling him in as a move - the move being, the Democrats were planning to do so when they had the aforementioned materials, but now that they probably can't get those materials the GOP wants to rub it in by calling in one of the witnesses to show how "wrong" and "desperate" the Democrats have been over this.

If I was writing a book, I’d say that McConnell is setting up DJTJ to lie to the Senate. Then McConnell can hold that over Trump for some later known purpose, that if Trump doesn’t do X favor, McConnell can hold Don Jr for lying to Congress.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Along with the aforementioned "they know, deep down, the Dems won't", I half wonder if some of them aren't expecting / hoping to just not have any more Dem Presidents... ever. (Or at least, not in their lifetimes.)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2019

Kamala Harris is as good as five regular dems.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Don Jr.'s response is "fuck Richard Burr, he's a fake Republican and a puppet of Mark Warner"

Haberman is a NYT reporter close to the Trumps.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Kamala Harris is as good as five regular dems.

I do look forward to her stone faced glare when she asks a simple question and Don Jr just fails to grasp even the basic of the basic of how dumb he is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Man it's fuckin wild that you can apparently just say fuckin no to subpoenas and shit.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    If you refuse a subpoena, isn't the next step contempt? I guess the question is whether the Senate committee feels like fining/jailing Jr.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Nadler spoke on the contempt vote (it goes to the House to proceed on what happens to Barr) and everything going on in general. From an hour or two ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l25B68mArk

• Options
    If I was subpoena and I didn't show I'm sure I would be thrown in jail.

This discussion has been closed.