As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Megalops At[chat]icus

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm 38 now and am literal dust

Sexy dust

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Linear regression kind of is machine learning in the most basic sense. I think it's actually quite instructive to call it that. It's the grand daddy technique.

Machine learning is like I said data science speak for a lot of regressions.

I think it is more the social scientist in me is being cranky. I am not as bad as my senior person. I think she wants to just burn down that description a million times over.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    lots of professor listings lately there are biology but with a machine learning component
    i wonder if i could trick the olds into thinking i do machine learning
    step 1) what is it tho????

That sounds like it was tailored for me

But I don't want to academia

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    lots of professor listings lately there are biology but with a machine learning component
    i wonder if i could trick the olds into thinking i do machine learning
    step 1) what is it tho????

They just need professors who can teach machines, which are quickly replacing human students at universities across the world.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

qu5cp1lce94v.jpeg

VishNub on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I meant to ask Shiv, which self-guided course work did you use for the ML stuff? PM if needed.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    How's it feel to play second fiddle to a fish Preacher?

Well since on my birthday I'm choosing to take my son to an aquarium really its just how this birthday is going to go. He cares little I'm getting older he just wants to see the fishies

If it makes you feel better VishNub's engagement was overshadowed by a dead crustacean

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Happy bday preacheroo

I honestly don't even know how old you are

37 this year.

Ahh you so just as old as Chanus and I

Let us have a celebratory knee crack

I have like this annoying cold right now, so I'm having celebratory mucous break up coughs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Well since on my birthday I'm choosing to take my son to an aquarium really its just how this birthday is going to go. He cares little I'm getting older he just wants to see the fishies

If it makes you feel better VishNub's engagement was overshadowed by a dead crustacean

Its perfectly fine, I don't mind my birthday but I never make a big deal out of it really. Like I normally take it off (don't have to this year since its a saturday), and since it falls either on or near mothers day I never really get to celebrate it very much anyway.

My wife got me some star wars stuff, and the weather looks nice to take my son to a fun thing (we're all wearing shark shirts too, so I'm daddy shark, wife is mommy shark and we got our son baby shark we're that family), so really its all I can hope for. Plus I have a communicable disease I can spread around, so good marks all over.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Happy bday preacheroo

37 this year.

I have like this annoying cold right now, so I'm having celebratory mucous break up coughs.

Same.

Mine are from quitting smoking, though. Going on 7 months and my lungs are starting to clear but still got some crap in there.

• Options

This is absolutely what I was thinking of for the OP

Absolutely.

• Options
    Honestly the one part that always catches me now is when I see notice of someone dying and they are a similar age and instead of comments about "oh man they were young" its "meh they were middle aged" that's the part that hits me in the feels, right in the feely bits.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I meant to ask Shiv, which self-guided course work did you use for the ML stuff? PM if needed.

I did Andrew Ng's basic introduction on Coursera, then most of Geoffrey Hinton's old course (no longer enrolling) there. I feel like there was other stuff, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I also did a lot of going to blogs and struggling through math and occasionally reading papers on ArXiv. I am sure there is a lot more advanced shit I could learn in another course, but the introduction to machine learning one taught me all the building blocks (linear/logistic regression, neural networks, the math behind them, and how to combat overfitting) and now I have the knowledge to expand outside of that arena without guidance (e.g., recurrent networks including LSTMs (which I've implemented despite never taking a course that discussed them), convolutional networks, etc).

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I get annoyed when I see linear regression marked as "machine learning" on anything. I know machine learning is basically data science speak for regressions but ugh.

At least random forest is interesting compared to old fashioned linear regression in this presentation.

Also linear regression seems like a terrible fit for the model they were making.

*grumbles*

Oh and stop using base R graph outputs, they are ugly.

It is machine learning

I think it's important to call algorithms like linear regression machine learning so that people stop thinking ~*~Machine Learning~*~ is the special all-powerful magic thing

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Thou thou thou thou

Really though FF6 had some of the best music of the whole series. Had a real super villain in it. Had a whale ship going to the moon. It had everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2k3Pdaf5pw

Cyans theme the first time I heard it. I remember just putting the controller down and listening for a long while.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    will chat give me permission to buy ff12 even though i havent finished xenoblade chronicles 2

I will support ANYONE buying FF12 for any reason

It’s so good just remember Vaan is NOT the main character

• Options
    The whale wasn't FFVI, FFVI was a little more grounded :P

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Machine learning is super broad, though, and I think most applications of it are probably not linear regression. I feel like neural nets are used for most of the recent advances in machine learning (e.g., ImageNet stuff).

I tend to distinguish between 'traditional machine learning' and 'deep learning'

HOWEVER

Deep learning is often not appropriate for any given task! It really depends on the data and on the problem. XGboost is a very good algorithm that will outperform neural nets on many tasks. Logistic regression is a good algorithm that will outperform neural nets on some tasks! In the task that I just completed, a CNN did best on most tasks, but for the one binary classification problem, a non-deep learning method worked best.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I need to play FF12 at some point. Also 6, I've only ever played like an hour or two of 6 and then I get sidetracked. But I have a SNES Classic, it's right there!

• Options
    The whale wasn't FFVI, FFVI was a little more grounded :P

Oh shit yeah my bad. Im sad now.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    will chat give me permission to buy ff12 even though i havent finished xenoblade chronicles 2

its weird i definitely played and beat ff12 on ps2 but I remember nothing about it
    but I remember the battle system being incredibly fun

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m gonna watch that Chernobyl thing I think, I hope it’s accurate because I don’t know much about it and I’ll take everything as factual.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

its weird i definitely played and beat ff12 on ps2 but I remember nothing about it
    but I remember the battle system being incredibly fun

Didn’t they just re-release that one?

• Options
    I just remember the complex macroing that allowed you to auto through the game.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i have never played any FF and 15 was the wrong one to start on

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    lol I was just listening to the new Reply All and it gets to the end of a really moving segment about depression and what that looks like and what it looks like when you move past it and it's got me a little teary-eyed and then it just pops so quickly into an ad read ("sign up for ZipRecruitr!") like okay nevermind I guess

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I got to like 98% in ff12 then stalled out on the last megabosses that have like 75 health bars and also one shot you constantly

VishNub on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Machine learning is super broad, though, and I think most applications of it are probably not linear regression. I feel like neural nets are used for most of the recent advances in machine learning (e.g., ImageNet stuff).

I tend to distinguish between 'traditional machine learning' and 'deep learning'

HOWEVER

Deep learning is often not appropriate for any given task! It really depends on the data and on the problem. XGboost is a very good algorithm that will outperform neural nets on many tasks. Logistic regression is a good algorithm that will outperform neural nets on some tasks! In the task that I just completed, a CNN did best on most tasks, but for the one binary classification problem, a non-deep learning method worked best.

No

Deep learning is literal magic and the shareholders demand it

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    How is Jon Bois so fucking good at making videos?

The Bob Emergency might be the best one he's ever done, and that's saying a lot. What an incredible talent. And it's not even done, there's gonna be a part 2!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    anyway I'm putting together a presentation on machine learning algorithms that we used to solve a problem for the contract that just got shuttered, and I'm super annoyed that the senior manager guy put in this extra slide that was like 'here's a table showing what algorithm we recommend for each problem' and he left it blank

I actually hit him up on skype chat and was like "hey are the numbers I included in this presentation uninterpretable? I highlighted in red the ones that are highest."

as in--can you seriously not look at the tables and see which algorithm had the highest metrics because seriously
    they are written out and also highlighted in red

why did you leave the table blank

why did I code everything in this project AND ALSO make the powerpoint, not just the parts about the data but also all the part about project objectives etc, rewriting everything from scratch because the original one that the managers made was awful?

annoying!

• Options
    lol I was just listening to the new Reply All and it gets to the end of a really moving segment about depression and what that looks like and what it looks like when you move past it and it's got me a little teary-eyed and then it just pops so quickly into an ad read ("sign up for ZipRecruitr!") like okay nevermind I guess
    unfortunately it isnt a new reply all so im pretty annoyed

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Which reply all is the one where they find a hacker's discord server because I wanna hear that one

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Happy bday preacheroo

37 this year.

i'm 38, 39 this year

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Okay, going to just go through this thought process here. But I know this is a weird fault like I have noticed between social science folks (sociologist, epis, and so on) and data science.

My brain doesn't tend to connect linear regression with Machine Learning (yes, again regressions are Machine Learning I know this). That is because to me they are regressions and just a long running part of the social science I was taught. My brain tends to attach machine learning to usually newer algorithms. Not specifically neural nets but more of the things that are developed more heavily with computing or what my data science teacher tended to call "black box" algorithms.

And that is very much due to my training and connection to social science which has been using a lot of the "machine learning" regressions in research for a long time before it became a data science thing.

There are biases here I fully accept and recognize. And I can even trace how they have developed through my education and the type of folks I work with.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also happy brithday preach

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Which reply all is the one where they find a hacker's discord server because I wanna hear that one
    130 The Snapchat Thief

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

HOWEVER

Yeah I think the simpler or more physically derived your task is, the better conventional shallow learning works. One of its biggest assets is resistance to overfitting and easier inspection of the resulting classifier or transform.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    unfortunately it isnt a new reply all so im pretty annoyed

this is an outrage

• Options
    if several human beings cant make sense of biological data how in the world are machines gonna give me the answer

This discussion has been closed.