As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

clock with programmable chimes?

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I want to set chimes/alerts to go off at multiple arbitrary times during the day. Crucially, I do not want to use an app. I don't want this to be yet another thing pulling my attention to my phone, nor do I want it to only work when my laptop is on.

Battery powered chiming clock movements are easy to find, but they all have chimes that sound hourly and cannot be changed. Since they're electronically controlled, it stands to reason that it should be possible to set arbitrary chimes; but so far I haven't been able to find any that allow that.

Any ideas? I'd be down for building something myself with an arduino or similar, but I don't have a place where I can safely solder.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Wow this is tougher than I had originally thought, your right it's mostly apps, or clocks that plug into a phone, ipod, etc or something that's ridiculously expensive.

On a fun note my cousin has an alarm clock he has to chase in the morning. Apparently he gets up quick because it rolls under his bed if he doesn't.
    https://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Nanda-Home-Wheels-5-25-Inch/dp/B009MQM2WW/ref=asc_df_B009MQM2WW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=191991632329&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9612649939593584650&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=2840&hvtargid=pla-301766033210&psc=1

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    really challenging ask

I gotta say, what about getting an old phone and clockifying it?

Edit: Google home can set arbitrary alarms as well, maybe get a mini and use that?

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd rather build something from scratch than use an old phone.

Google Home and its competitors are creepy as hell.

Calica on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Not to be THAT nerd, but what about building it yourself with a raspberry pi and a cheap micro speaker? It'd be a full project, but easily accomplished once you get your plans together.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Not to be THAT nerd, but what about building it yourself with a raspberry pi and a cheap micro speaker? It'd be a full project, but easily accomplished once you get your plans together.

That's the backup plan.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think your use case is too narrow to find a dedicated product for this. As far as I can tell, there are only three markets for non-cell phone alarms, little kid wake up timers, old people pill reminders, and stylish analog clocks for retro vibes.

The kids clocks seem to have multiple choices for sounds, but not multiple alarms. The old people clocks have lots of alarms, but not multiple sounds, unless audibly telling you the time and date counts.

An old phone would probably be the easiest inbetween/hold over to building your own.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    How many different alarms do you want to set?

I came across this https://www.amazon.com/WITTI-BEDDI-Enabled-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B01M9AJAQJ and they have a couple different models, but they only support 4 alarms max, it looks like.
    Set Multiple Alarms on Different Days
    If your schedule varies from day to day, then this is the right alarm clock for you. With 4 different alarms that can be set to repeat on any day of the week, BEDDI Style offers unique flexibility, unlike your standard dual-alarm clocks. And instead of the dreadful ring, the gentle alarm wakes you with your choice of favorite music playlist.