Options

Climate Change: Where every storm is Perfect

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    though also I imagine we'd have to be careful about how much of the sun's excess output we're collecting, so as not to begin messing with the energy life on earth has come to depend on from it, to say nothing of how other planets, if they have some form of life, may need it.

Ecosystems are fun! Solar System Ecosystems even moreso!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Lanz wrote: »
    though also I imagine we'd have to be careful about how much of the sun's excess output we're collecting, so as not to begin messing with the energy life on earth has come to depend on from it, to say nothing of how other planets, if they have some form of life, may need it.

Eh most of it just shoots off into the vacuum without intersecting anything. The Earth and the other solar bodies capture a minuscule amount of Solar output.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »

Eh most of it just shoots off into the vacuum without intersecting anything. The Earth and the other solar bodies capture a minuscule amount of Solar output.

I’m probably think way too far advanced

Megastructure level harnessing array advanced

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

I’m probably think way too far advanced

Megastructure level harnessing array advanced

The real dyson sphere proposal was a system of solar capture satellites orbiting the sun. Building a single structure isn't really feasible, you start with a few satellites and use the energy provided to ramp up production of more and more.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    By time we've blocked enough of the sun to affect life on Earth, Earth itself will probably be entirely paved over.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    The idea of a sunshade at L1 (Lagrangian point between the earth and the sun) has actually been discussed extensively

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    The idea of a sunshade at L1 (Lagrangian point between the earth and the sun) has actually been discussed extensively

Would that be more or less expensive and/or easier than just fixing stuff here on terra firma?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Would that be more or less expensive and/or easier than just fixing stuff here on terra firma?

More expensive and more difficult, but you and I would personally be footing the bill. If we fix things here, the head of Exxon Mobile has to pay instead.

So obviously the giant space mirror is the best option.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Less expensive and less permanent. It's little more than a temporary stopgap granting a few decades.

Enc on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcro7dPqpA

John Oliver's latest show. For all that it was dismissed, people are still talking about The Green New Deal, and support for trying to do something about the climate is higher than ever.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

More expensive and more difficult, but you and I would personally be footing the bill. If we fix things here, the head of Exxon Mobile has to pay instead.

So obviously the giant space mirror is the best option.

The head of exxon mobile can just pass it off to their customers so I never understood this line of reasoning.

Or they can pivot to better technologies and spend money on research to help improve their business. Maybe Exxon starts making high efficiency solar panels or makes money by recycling carbon in the air into a new fuel type, no reason they couldn't.

They just would rather not and are more willing to spend money on easy solutions like "pay off politicians".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The sunshade idea does have two advantages:

1) It's pretty fucking cool

(and maybe that makes it easier to sell to voters?)

2) Whereas lowering emissions is a problem requiring the cooperation of numerous countries and factions, a few sufficiently wealthy and motivated countries could, hypothetically, deploy a sunshade by themselves

The problem, as @Enc mentioned, is that it's only a temporary solution, and we'd need to lower emissions anyway so maybe we'd be better off just doing it now?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    This seems correct to me (it's about Inslee's climate plan)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wouldn't a sunshade have the problem that while it would cut back on the amount of sunlight and thus the heat hitting earth, that then "oh fuck, it turns out a shitton of the ecosystem developed with a certain amount of sunlight hitting the planet for the past, you know, ever?"

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This seems correct to me (it's about Inslee's climate plan)

Woosh. Probably need to start donating to Inslee

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Might break down Inslee's proposal tomorrow now that I have some free time and am not working on a project for a professor assessing the distributional effects of CAFE standards.

Gotta keep putting this enviro econ expertise to work somehow over the summer.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Wouldn't a sunshade have the problem that while it would cut back on the amount of sunlight and thus the heat hitting earth, that then "oh fuck, it turns out a shitton of the ecosystem developed with a certain amount of sunlight hitting the planet for the past, you know, ever?"

Plants absorb only a tiny sliver of the EM spectrum. I think the idea of a planetary sunshade would be to block the wavelengths that are contributing most to climate change (IR) while allowing most visible light (including what plants crave) through.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Plants absorb only a tiny sliver of the EM spectrum. I think the idea of a planetary sunshade would be to block the wavelengths that are contributing most to climate change (IR) while allowing most visible light (including what plants crave) through.

Brawndo?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Brawndo?

Electrolights

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Brawndo?

Electrolights

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I apologize if this is too off topic, but I wonder if it's possible to address climate change in a capitalistic society. The drive for profit at all costs and quarterly mentality seems to jar impossibly with the kind of long term thinking required in order to address climate change in capitalistic societies. And the negative impacts of capitalism have also impacted our politics to the point that it feels like we can't depend on the governments to solve this issue.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Capitalism is a huge range of things, not only an unregulated invisible money hand caveat emptor hellscape. Government can and does manipulate a capitalist market by manipulating taxes, incentivising or disincentivising behaviors with tax benefits of penalties, by regulating what can happen in it, or by outright ending certain behaviors.

Capitalism is a problem, but government is the solution. In the US we have conflated capitalism with out form of government, and thus have abdicated much of our power that we could have.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    To quote Warren: unregulated capitalism is theft. In this case from future generations.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I mean the way we practice “capitalism” has us locked in a race to create technology to get us off the planet before we destroy it and we’re losing badly

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I apologize if this is too off topic, but I wonder if it's possible to address climate change in a capitalistic society. The drive for profit at all costs and quarterly mentality seems to jar impossibly with the kind of long term thinking required in order to address climate change in capitalistic societies. And the negative impacts of capitalism have also impacted our politics to the point that it feels like we can't depend on the governments to solve this issue.

It's not just capitalism.
    But yes, capitalism is based on selfishness, and selfishness cannot solve collective action problems like climate change.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Capitalism is a problem insomuch that the detrimental effects of climate change are external to market prices and so the True Cost of fossil fuels, commuting, suburbs/exurbs, and etc. are not actually accounted for when consumers make decisions.

There's been a plenty of theory that markets can (and empirical evidence showing they often do when the right mechanisms are in place) solve issues like climate change, but only under circumstances that require government action to implement.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    I would like to preface the following by saying I'm not in any way arguing against good, well-considered government intervention on this matter (and many others), but:

I feel like in the case of the US, government intervention may so far have actually made climate change worse. Our policies have heavily subsidized sprawl, single family detached homebuilding, and fossil fuels. And unfortunately it hasn't just been the GOP pushing these mistakes, Democrats have had a hand in it too, albeit to a lesser extent. If the market had to pay the true price of any of those things, each would be more expensive, although still probably not to the necessary degree.

But I'm not arguing for having an unregulated free market in any of those categories, to be clear. Rather, many of our policies need to do a complete 180 and subsidize the opposite things. Public transportation where before we've subsidized roads and highways; apartments and condos rather than single family houses; renewable energy development and construction rather than fossil fuel companies.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Does capitalism have to be short-sighted? Honest question. Currently ours is, and that's really the main problem with capitalism and climate change. Like, there's absolutely no question where the long-term financial gains are and what the absolute largest and most certain long-term financial risk is.... but because it doesn't affect the next quarter or year, no one cares.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I don't see how capitalism would not end up shortsighted.
    There's too much to be gained from ignoring long term effects so someone always will, and then the race to the bottom beggins.
    Ofcourse that can be fixed with strong regulations that are actually enforced, and with consequences that actually hurt the perpetrators.
    But what kind of punishment can deter someone from taking a small risk of punishment when they are all but guaranteed more wealth than most people can even dream of.

And, remember, the people making decisions 30 years ago, and even now, are unlikely to live long enough to face the long term consequences, so short sightedness works for them.

• Options
    Every system will have people that will try to subvert it for personal gain. I’m not defending capitalism, I’m just saying people are assholes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Every system will have people that will try to subvert it for personal gain. I’m not defending capitalism, I’m just saying people are assholes.
    Well, yes, but capitalism as it exists now is a system that inherently favours gains now over sustainability, because you can just take the gains, and dump the eventual losses on others.
    It has no ideological or practical stops to that sort of thing, instead it is rewarded.

To stop this, we would have to massively rework how corporations work (personal responsibility for owners and executives/management), and introduce such a draconian system of regulation and punishments that most not hard left people would balk at it.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Well, yes, but capitalism as it exists now is a system that inherently favours gains now over sustainability, because you can just take the gains, and dump the eventual losses on others.
    It has no ideological or practical stops to that sort of thing, instead it is rewarded.

To stop this, we would have to massively rework how corporations work (personal responsibility for owners and executives/management), and introduce such a draconian system of regulation and punishments that most not hard left people would balk at it.

Depends also on what you mean by sustainability. Solow's definition is that sustainability is leaving the world the capacity to be as well off if not better capacity for future generations, specifically looking at the global capital stock and the substitutability of different types of capital (i.e. substituting natural capital for physical capital, etc.)

A lot of the problem (especially here in America) is that our tax system doesn't properly internalize the costs of pollution. That's why economists heavily favor a carbon tax -- it actually solves the underlying incentive problems that have created our current environment.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Depends also on what you mean by sustainability. Solow's definition is that sustainability is leaving the world the capacity to be as well off if not better capacity for future generations, specifically looking at the global capital stock and the substitutability of different types of capital (i.e. substituting natural capital for physical capital, etc.)

A lot of the problem (especially here in America) is that our tax system doesn't properly internalize the costs of pollution. That's why economists heavily favor a carbon tax -- it actually solves the underlying incentive problems that have created our current environment.

Sure.
    But then you get issues where the system is gamed by subcontractors moving the environmental compliance off-shore and then conveniently not doing the compliance activity because it's cheaper.

So the carbon tax needs to have carbon tariffs as well, and any carbon offsets, earned by reducing emissions or capturing carbon, need to be heavily monitored to ensure that the stated carbon capture benefit actually exists, and isn't just people planting trees to have them chopped down shortly thereafter.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Sure.
    But then you get issues where the system is gamed by subcontractors moving the environmental compliance off-shore and then conveniently not doing the compliance activity because it's cheaper.

So the carbon tax needs to have carbon tariffs as well, and any carbon offsets, earned by reducing emissions or capturing carbon, need to be heavily monitored to ensure that the stated carbon capture benefit actually exists, and isn't just people planting trees to have them chopped down shortly thereafter.

Yeah collective action problems are really hard. Additionally moving production off-shore to get around environmental compliance depends a lot on whether or not the company can move easily, which is an empirical question.

But I think all those problems are more easily solved than getting every country and society in the world to get rid of private property rights (which also doesn't really solve the problem since one can still have personal property which has its own carbon emissions).

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Sure.

Yeah collective action problems are really hard. Additionally moving production off-shore to get around environmental compliance depends a lot on whether or not the company can move easily, which is an empirical question.

But I think all those problems are more easily solved than getting every country and society in the world to get rid of private property rights (which also doesn't really solve the problem since one can still have personal property which has its own carbon emissions).

Without going into Mao and gulags and all that, do you REALLY belive that capitalism is not responsable for climate change, and that we can realistically not become extinct under global capitalism?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think much of climate change is independent to specifically capitalism. Most of the incentives that have encouraged the pollution that causes climate change should apply to societies where the workers own the means of production. If West Virginia were a workers' paradise, they would probably still not want to give up coal mining.

• Options
    I don't think climate change is exclusive to any one particular economic system. The Soviets had no problem building factories and power plants. If anything they were worse off because of a lack of independent regulation.

• Options
    Problem is that capitalism encouraged hiding the evidence, and even lying, about climate change.
    And now fighting against anything that might ever so slightly endanger to profits short term.
    Other systems won't stop some people from doing that, but capitalism encourages, and rewards, those in power doing so.

• Options
    Problem is that capitalism encouraged hiding the evidence, and even lying, about climate change.
    And now fighting against anything that might ever so slightly endanger to profits short term.
    Other systems won't stop some people from doing that, but capitalism encourages, and rewards, those in power doing so.

None of that is exclusive to capitalism and other system are just as prone to rewearing dirty industry. Dirty industry is first and foremost cheap. Socialists, for example, are just as likely to want to minimize direct cost to the state. Any economic system is going to have carrots and sticks. It's up to the people controlling these economic systems to decide if they're going with the clean expensive option or the cheap dirty option.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Does economic structure play a large role in a society’s willingness to price in externalities?

Is it also maybe more fair to say it’s capital that are fucking everyone else over, using capital as a substitute for authoritarian rulers/ruling parties where appropriate?

Captain Inertia on
This discussion has been closed.