As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2019 Challenge Coin (Updated August 16th with final designs decided)

Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/DeveloperMontreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
edited August 2019 in PAX West
*************************************************************APRIL 1ST, 2019**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the annual PAX West 2019 Challenge Coin discussion thread. As always, I'm your host Nfan10039. *cheers from the audience* Now who wants to play "Put Forth Your Suggestions"?

Alright, in all seriousness, now that PAX East is done, thought we should get the ball rolling on the coin for West(Prime). I hope you're ready and are all doing well. I have made another suggestion thread available here:
https://forms.gle/USBSAguSJaRuFn238. Just as a reminder, no joke suggestions will be tolerated (I'll post all the appropriate ones here though this year). This suggestion box will stay open until May 1st, 2019.

All the best, Nfan10039

*************************************************************MAY 1ST, 2019************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Greetings all! All of you had some great suggestions for the gaming side! The Seattle side was a little lacking this year, but it should still be a good turn out! The first round of voting is now open

https://forms.gle/vzTHRVNU3dv22L8v5 As always, this round limits both sides to three choices each, and you can also fill in your username.

This round of voting will stay open until May 18th. Speaking of May, I'll be coming down to Seattle during May 9th to the 14th.
I'll be hanging out and looking for some jobs(tough for a Canadian dude to come settle in your neck of the woods). If anyone wants to chill, let me know.
Have a fantastic week and looking forward to seeing which options get selected.

All the best, Nfan10039.

*************************************************************MAY 21ST, 2019************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well well well. I'm late, but as they say, better late than never! I hope all of you are ready for the final round of voting. Seems like we're a lot less active this year. Wonder if that means anything for PAX West tickets?
Speaking of tickets, I've heard that they won't be going on sale until after May 27th(America's Long weekend). Pretty exciting times lie ahead, and I can't wait to start production on the images for this year's PAX West coins!
I have a few ideas about all of our finalists, so hopefully you enjoy where my head's going. The link to vote for this round is located here: https://forms.gle/baj4tG9YVjDkVdjv6.
I hope you guys are ready for a great summer and a great E3! See ya guys later for the final outcome(coming June 4th)!

Yours truly,
Nfan10039

*************************************************************JUNE 8TH, 2019************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So, I've been busy lately. Coin design voting is now closed. Sorry for the delay everyone. It always seems that summer is one of the busiest times of year for myself.
The winner for the PAX West 2019 Challenge coins is Controllers of all current gen systems and a keyboard for the gaming side and the PNW Tribal Orca for the Seattle side.
Thank you to everyone who voted this year and can't wait to start making the designs later this month. If any of you have any ideas, please drop them below and I'll consider them.
That's it for today. Look forward to the designs coming soon to a forum thread near you.

*************************************************************JULY 22ND, 2019**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The final voting form for the coin designs is now live. It can be found here:https://forms.gle/s3G63r6MgPne1D4A9

I look forward to getting this to Kidder and for you to finally get your hands on this year's PAX West Coin!

*************************************************************JULY 29TH, 2019**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The voting form is now closed. Thank you to all who voted. Kcoin has been emailed and I shall update this thread once I hear more from them.

*************************************************************AUGUST 16TH, 2019**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The order form is now live. It can be found here: https://forms.gle/nnE8hnb9QPXxGcXLA

ajor19ru24j1.png
Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
Nfan10039 on

• Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    I am so excited to see this thread again. Can't wait to see what people come up with this year!

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yay, new coin thread. I don't have any ideas but will be here to vote on the suggestions.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that all coin ideas must be submitted by May 1st

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    An idea I like that hasen't been used yet, is Line Simulator 2019.

IhtGIyi.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SkeleVader wrote: »

what are we simulating, they are legitimate lines

I3izzy on
    ZYseqtZ.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Greetings all! All of you had some great suggestions for the gaming side! The Seattle side was a little lacking this year, but it should still be a good turn out! The first round of voting is now open. https://forms.gle/vzTHRVNU3dv22L8v5 As always, this round limits both sides to three choices each, and you can also fill in your username.
    This round of voting will stay open until May 18th. Speaking of May, I'll be coming down to Seattle during May 9th to the 14th.
    I'll be hanging out and looking for some jobs(tough for a Canadian dude to come settle in your neck of the woods). If anyone wants to chill, let me know.
    Have a fantastic week and looking forward to seeing which options get selected. All the best, Nfan10039.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I3izzy wrote: »

what are we simulating, they are legitimate lines

Which is why it is funny to me. Farmers play Farm simulator and then Farm for real, Pax attendees would play line simulator and then stand in lines for real. You could play line simulator on your phone while you stood in line for real.

IhtGIyi.png
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Voted :)

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Which is why it is funny to me. Farmers play Farm simulator and then Farm for real, Pax attendees would play line simulator and then stand in lines for real. You could play line simulator on your phone while you stood in line for real.
    And that, kids, is what we call dank meta gaming :P

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    edited May 2019
    Well well well. I'm late, but as they say, better late than never! I hope all of you are ready for the final round of voting. Seems like we're a lot less active this year. Wonder if that means anything for PAX West tickets?
    Speaking of tickets, I've heard that they won't be going on sale until after May 27th(America's Long weekend). Pretty exciting times lie ahead, and I can't wait to start production on the images for this year's PAX West coins!
    I have a few ideas about all of our finalists, so hopefully you enjoy where my head's going. The link to vote for this round is located here: https://forms.gle/baj4tG9YVjDkVdjv6. I hope you guys are ready for a great summer and a great E3! See ya guys later for the final outcome coming June 4th!

Yours truly,
    Nfan10039

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Did my final vote. Can't wait to add to my collection

ZYseqtZ.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Voted. And Ditto on the quiet forums. Where's the hype?!

• Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • ThornkinThornkin Registered User regular
    Are there pictures of these? Or just the word descriptions?

• acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly excited myself, but I don't know much about challenge coins in general. I read up a little bit about the history of challenge coins in the military and civilian sectors, though. I spent a few years in the military and acquired one or more challenge coins during that time, but wasn't old enough to drink for most of it, and I've never actually seen the game played. Now that I'm of drinking age, and not too stressed out to care, I'd be interested in participating in challenges, but I also do not have any friends to enjoy the experience with, nor am I totally familiar with most of the rules.

Since the only challenge coins I currently have that I'm aware of are military, I was wondering if they can be used to challenge people who don't own military challenge coins. That's where the bulk of my confusion comes, since I found very little regarding the rules of mixing challenge coins, as opposed to using coins from the same unit, company, organization, etc. I also don't know how to score military vs non-military challenge coins.

As for the "no friends" issue, can I just walk into a bar and present my coin by holding it in the air or slapping it on the counter? Or do I have to know the people I'm challenging? Do people tend to participate in challenges, or do they just like cool "collector" coins? If I can in fact challenge strangers, is it likely they will participate, or totally ignore me like they think I'm crazy or don't know what a challenge coin is? Should I just avoid the randoms and save the game for people I know or meet?

I feel like I'm missing some things, which I'll add later if I remember.

Mostly these are used as a community/collectors item. Don't think I've ever seen them used in the military sense towards drinking but that could be kind of fun to see who can produce the oldest or most coins.

paxsignature.png

Thornkin wrote: »

Usually how it works is that once a final decision has been decided, I get started working on actual art of these coins. I've never thought about making a rough draft for each finalist option. Perhaps this could be implemented in a future year, but it also seems like a lot of work. Hope this helps

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Looking to attend west for the first time this year, hope to get a coin I like too! :)

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Thornkin wrote: »

Usually how it works is that once a final decision has been decided, I get started working on actual art of these coins. I've never thought about making a rough draft for each finalist option. Perhaps this could be implemented in a future year, but it also seems like a lot of work. Hope this helps

The person who’s done east and unplugged normally does a rough draft of them, it works out really well!

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

Thanks nfan. Looking forward to the coins, as always!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    acydlord wrote: »
    I'm fairly excited myself, but I don't know much about challenge coins in general. I read up a little bit about the history of challenge coins in the military and civilian sectors, though. I spent a few years in the military and acquired one or more challenge coins during that time, but wasn't old enough to drink for most of it, and I've never actually seen the game played. Now that I'm of drinking age, and not too stressed out to care, I'd be interested in participating in challenges, but I also do not have any friends to enjoy the experience with, nor am I totally familiar with most of the rules.

Since the only challenge coins I currently have that I'm aware of are military, I was wondering if they can be used to challenge people who don't own military challenge coins. That's where the bulk of my confusion comes, since I found very little regarding the rules of mixing challenge coins, as opposed to using coins from the same unit, company, organization, etc. I also don't know how to score military vs non-military challenge coins.

As for the "no friends" issue, can I just walk into a bar and present my coin by holding it in the air or slapping it on the counter? Or do I have to know the people I'm challenging? Do people tend to participate in challenges, or do they just like cool "collector" coins? If I can in fact challenge strangers, is it likely they will participate, or totally ignore me like they think I'm crazy or don't know what a challenge coin is? Should I just avoid the randoms and save the game for people I know or meet?

I feel like I'm missing some things, which I'll add later if I remember.

Mostly these are used as a community/collectors item. Don't think I've ever seen them used in the military sense towards drinking but that could be kind of fun to see who can produce the oldest or most coins.

I believe it isn't a random thing where you can walk into a bar and just present one. The idea is if you're getting together with your old unit, or a squad, (I'm not in the military so pardon my lack of knowledge) for drinks, you can see who remembered or forgot their challenge coin by presenting yours.

I use mine through the year with a friend of mine who I went to PAX with. When we get together for gaming (and occasionally whenever we're together) I will show my coin to see if he remembered to bring his. Failure to present your coin leads to shame unless we actually have drinks around, as we aren't in a bar so buying a round isn't possible. It's just a fun thing to do.

At PAX, you could use it at parties or the bar crawl for fun, but without everyone's agreement to the rules I don't think it would work in the sense of buying rounds.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    There will be a few hundred challenge coins sold and tends of thousands of people at PAX so most probably won't even know what they are.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Yeah I give them to my friends. But outside of your group it doesn't actually make sense.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Who is in the lead for coin designs???

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    So, I've been busy lately. Coin design voting is now closed. Sorry for the delay everyone. It always seems that summer is one of the busiest times of year for myself.
    The winner for the PAX West 2019 Challenge coins is Controllers of all current gen systems and a keyboard for the gaming side and the PNW Tribal Orca for the Seattle side.
    Thank you to everyone who voted this year and can't wait to start making the designs later this month. If any of you have any ideas, please drop them below and I'll consider them.
    That's it for today. Look forward to the designs coming soon to a forum thread near you.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    Looking forward to it! In the meantime, I modeled a very simple coin display for my challenge coins, which can be 3d printed. If anyone is interested I'll find a way to post a link for them.

• Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    There are some minor thickness differences, so try them both.

Type 1

Type 2

edited June 2019
    Sup dudes and dudettes. Hope all is well with you. Sorry for my absence, was back in my home province of Saskatchewan. Now that I'm back from holidays, I put in some good work into the designs. I'd like to get your opinion on the Whales. Video game side isn't done yet, but will continue to work on it in hopes of getting these pushed ASAP. Thanks, Nfan

louf6qhvpjfy.png

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    Also, if you want me to use different colors (see, I can be American...) let me know.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    I think the whales looks great, but, and this is just my opinion, I feel like they'd look better all facing the same direction, forming a sort of spiral shape. What do you think?

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
    I like it. Shall update the picture tomorrow.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Awesome. Can't wait to see it.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    The off centerness of them all makes my OCD and brain hurt. A LOT. Can they somehow be re-centerd/sized, or adjusted so the spacing between the is even?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    edited June 2019
    Okay, so trying to make a couple of versions. The first one posted was v1. This one is v2, and the spiral design will be v3. Looking forward to posting the spiral version later today.
    V2:
    i003o5vdqda9.png
    V3:
    lvbcyc0ezy7g.png
    Game side is coming soon.

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Hmm, only having three whales seems to be off to me since we have four events. What about a single whale, curved almost like an ouroboros, but coloured with all four events?

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    "Spiral" might not have been the best word for me to describe it, but the second version is more what I was thinking of. If you could make all the tails meet neatly in the center of the coin, and possibly add a fourth whale like bacon_avenger suggested, I think that'd be perfect.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm, only having three whales seems to be off to me since we have four events. What about a single whale, curved almost like an ouroboros, but coloured with all four events?
    What are the four events?

If paxen, there are 6 recognized colors, for South, East, Dev, West, Aus, and Unplugged (see: https://www.paxsite.com/)

edited June 2019
    Sup everyone. Hope you're all enjoying SGDQ and having a great weekend! This is version 4 of the coin. I had initially tried to use bacon's idea of four whales, but the way I had set them up, the whales formed a certain bad German symbol (if you know what I mean). As always, let me know what you think. Personally, I think this version is the best so far.
    Whales v4:
    b50fz4axan6d.png

Still working on the controllers. Look forward to that coming soon.

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    i think you should just keep it simple - one orca. the additional ones in other colors look very busy and may not translate well to the coin

b3dyisb2mkd7.png