Options

E3 2019 * June 08-14 * Show Floor Open * Giant Bomb @ Nite 8pm CST

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Sunrize wrote: »
    Link's Awakening is like the first "hard" game I ever beat by myself start to finish with no tips and no guide books. I found all the shells, super proud of little kid me. Even still I wasn't going to buy the remake, but that art style somehow looks like the way the game looks in my nostalgic memory, like a dream I had of the game rather than that grainy green screen. Just amazing.

I never played Banjo, but for the fans here, what separated it from the other platformers of the era like Ratchet and Clank, Spyro, Gex, etc?

My memories are tainted by the excellent Xbox 360 re-releases, but it was just a really solid 3D platformer with some great musicm, fun level design and a really interesting moveset that eventually just lets you fly to whereever you want, and gives you levels with the verticality to do so. It also has a cheeky, irrevent sense of humor where the protagonists are well aware of the cliche trappings of the genre and roll with them.

Some of the character designs have aged VERY poorly (Mumbo Jumbo and especially Humba Wumba) but others, like Banjo, are timeless (Seriously, it's a bear in shorts with his bird friend in his backpack. It's a fantastic design)

The biggest weakness in the gameplay is that you're collecting a LOT of shit. It's not DK64 levels of ridiculous, but =even beyond the standard "This mcguffins open new levels, these ones open near areas in the hub world" a lot of the missions to get JIggies involve "hey, this monkey wants 5 oranges" or "this eaglet wants a bunch of catapillers". That said, I find the gameplay fun enough that I don't mind at all.

The sequel, Banjo-Tooie, is kind of ambitious. The levels are HUGE (sometimes too huge) and there's all sorts of interconnectedness between them; find a secret passage from the Dinosaur level to the Circus level so you can smuggle in fast food to feed starving cavemen. Some kids want to play in a pool, but you have to to go one level to turn off the toxic waste being dumped in it, and go to another to heat up the water. It can honestly get a bit overwhelming.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Banjo tooie is physically exhausting to play with how big the levels are and unlike the first game backtracking is required to clear out stages which is bad for ocd

I think the first one holds up better but tooie is still good

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Banjo tooie is physically exhausting to play with how big the levels are and unlike the first game backtracking is required to clear out stages which is bad for ocd

I think the first one holds up better but tooie is still good

Tooie is like the text book example of more is not necessarily better

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

jesus christ it looks like the dreamcast games in all the wrong ways

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My one Shenmue 3 question:

Is Tom back?

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm freaking out right now.

Nintendo direct stuff specifically.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    In case you want another example of how well Avengers is being handled: the villain in that trailer who is responsible for the death of Captain America is Taskmaster, who has no lines and is not called out by name

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

love that yamper's design is "just, put a corgi in there"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    In case you want another example of how well Avengers is being handled: the villain in that trailer who is responsible for the death of Captain America is Taskmaster, who has no lines and is not called out by name
    I really don't think that is a huge deal?

Like, the MUA3 trailers have dropped a dozen villains with no names

I get folks didn't like the presentation but just dogpiling stuff that aren't actual issues seems unnecessary

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

love that yamper's design is "just, put a corgi in there"

"but, y'know, sand its face down and then draw it back on

we have a terrible aesthetic to preserve"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Maddoc on
  • Options

Oh my god that is the worst possible answer in the universe

• Options
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

The mark of a good plan is not looking ahead at all

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    If only his answer had been "69, dude!"

• Options
    It's not that bad of an answer, really, since they're clearly not just taking the original FF7 and translating it into a new engine or whatever, they're essentially totally redoing the story.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    In addition to never once reusing a game engine, Square Enix has never once planned anything.

If you're not constantly flying by the seat of your pants, you're not developing video games

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I wonder how Half Life 2 Episode 3 is coming along

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's not that bad of an answer, really, since they're clearly not just taking the original FF7 and translating it into a new engine or whatever, they're essentially totally redoing the story.

Yeah, but you figure taking on a project of this magnitude you should have SOME idea beforehand of what each part would entail

• Options
    I mean they could have an outline and they go "Okay this looks like it will end up being three games", but shit changes over like ten years that it'll take them to release the other two.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I just showed this to my software engineer on our project and he died

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I get folks didn't like the presentation but just dogpiling stuff that aren't actual issues seems unnecessary

It does to me, there’s always a fun reveal aspect to what villains adaptations are going to tackle

And Taskmaster is one of my favorite Marvel villains and they showed him to me and I literally did not know it was him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy VII As A Service

• Options
    You joke, but the one thing Square Enix has actually been good at in the last couple decades is running MMOs

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I think it matters in that after watching the presentations for both, I know who the villain for MUA3 is, but have no idea who it is for Avengers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Planning is for people with 40 hour work weeks.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, but you figure taking on a project of this magnitude you should have SOME idea beforehand of what each part would entail

I would hope that when this first part is complete they will have a better idea. Or they should do, given they'd know how much they want to tweak or how long it takes etc. So they might be able to say oh part 2 will go up to say Cid or the Temple of the Ancients or something. If it's still vague shrugs next year then it'll be time to cross fingers that it gets finished at all.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    They're about to show Astral Chain on the Nintendo Treehouse stream.

• Options
    So the store page for Witcher 3 on Switch is up, and the screenshots there are allegedly captured on the Switch. It looks decent! Not as good as the other versions, but still pretty nice.

Now, there's no VIDEO there, so there's really no information on how well it could run.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Your ability to remain hopeful in the face of the overwhelming awfulness of that presentation is downright samwise gamgeeian

• Options

I think it matters in that after watching the presentations for both, I know who the villain for MUA3 is, but have no idea who it is for Avengers.
    What presentation? Because the MUA3 trailer in the direct has literally zero villain names listed

If you're talking about the gameplay demo at the booth, then that is comparable to what Mr. G mentioned as they revealed that is Taskmaster at the booth gameplay demonstration.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Bloods End wrote: »

Your ability to remain hopeful in the face of the overwhelming awfulness of that presentation is downright samwise gamgeeian
    Well this comes across as really demeaning

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    My ideal layout, I think, would be part 2 ends after the Temple of the Ancients, part 3 goes the rest of the way.

Granted, I know this means that part 3 would be discs 2+3 but honestly there was a shitload of padding at the back end. FF7 had a big butt.

• Options
    Bloods End wrote: »

Isn't Samwise the emotional heart of that trilogy?

• Options
    An entire FF7 side game all about Cait Sith

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Or complimentary. Samwise did get
    Frodo to the volcano.

[edit] Damn, apologies to all, spoilers.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Ben

what is

Avengers

• Options
    It's a Firewatch clone.

This discussion has been closed.