As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Aus Pinny Arcade Panel Potential Participants Pledge Post

SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
Hiya,

Me (Senno) and Interesting_Mix ran the Pinny Arcade Game Show panel last year, with him hosting and myself running the show behind the scenes, such as making up all the questions, the powerpoint and providing the music and keeping score. And we plan to do this again this year - only we're going to do it better.

This year, we've decided to split the Pinny Arcade 101 panel and the Game Show panel into two separate panels, each being represented by our wonderful pin community.

Submissions are now open! While I will handle the logistics and information for the Game Show panel I am looking for someone to put their hand up to run the 101 panel. This means that they will be responsible for the panel itself and the submission process. The 101 panel will be dedicated to informing the audience about Pinny Arcade, its origins, where to get pins for that particular show, where trading opportunities will happen and any personal stories or subjects they wish to cover, so long as it pertains to the Pinny Arcade hobby.

The Game Show panel will be much the same as last year. We will host multiple rounds of pinny arcade related activities, and yes, fan favourites like "Speed Round" and "Who's That Pinny Man?" will return, along with a host of new ideas, as we will be retiring some rounds that didn't work as well as we'd like, and we'll also have a little more time as Story rounds will no longer be necessary due to Pinny Arcade 101 being able to take on that responsibility, should that be the route they would like to take.

So what needs to happen now? Here's the important info:

1. Do you want to be involved in the Pinny Arcade 101 panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
2. Do you want to run the Pinny Arcade 101 panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
3. Do you want to be involved in the Pinny Arcade Game Show panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
4. Do you want to be involved in both? Excellent - comment below, or message me on here or on Slack.

Whats in it for me?

Well, apart from my gratefulness and the opportunity to champion our hobby - you will get free pins. You will get a special guest 3 day pass for PAX Aus - these are not for sale, so if you have bought tickets, you can get a refund on the day prior to the show. And you will have fun!

That sounds great - is there a deadline?

No, not really. We are currently four months out from PAX Australia and ideally we'd like to have the names of who wants to be involved by about 12 weeks out. Panel submissions are usually completed about 2 months in advance, which gives Penny Arcade enough time to schedule days and times for all their panels, as well as which room we're in. Naturally, some panels are placed in smaller/larger rooms, depending on the expected audience. We generally run about 60-100 members in our audience. And of course, they need to print out thousands of the handbooks - which will have our panels in them, should they be approved.

So I won't put a hard date on when you must message me by. I would suggest doing so sooner rather than later though, and ideally, we're ready to go about this time next month. That's around mid-July.

So what if I don't want to be involved?
  • No problem! You can still come along to the panel! In fact, our game show panel requires three members per team, so our team members will be hustling for players when the queue begins - you might find yourself on a team! You just put your name down and it goes into the hat, so you don't have to be involved if you don't want to!
  • Upcoming pins! Our panels are famous for first looks at newly introduced pins. Last year we learnt about the creation of gabe pin, the PA 20th anniversary and the mario kart pins, for instance. You want to know what's coming up next? This is the place to do it.
  • Need to know where to get pins, or where to trade? Come along! The Pinny Arcade panel 101 will have that information for you! They will also provide a handy-dandy print out of the pins to get at the show, where to get them, what times and where to trade, and even match the staff member to the pin! And of course, there is that always elusive Pinnypals Stamp!

And if all that doesn't interest you, what are you doing here anyway? Go enjoy the show - PAX celebrates all types of games and I'm sure you will have a great time. I always do!

Final note:

There is no guarantees in life - and the same is true of PAX Aus. Just because we were accepted last year does not guarantee us a panel this year. It's highly unlikely, but we are at their mercy for the decision making process and our panel or panels may not be accepted. Also of note - we have never attempted to apply for two separate panels before. It's possible they accept one and knock back the other. That's not ideal, of course, but it's a possibility. At this point, we can only hope for the best. That said, PA are usually very accomodating and their Australian team are very professional and friendly and know how much we live and breathe for this event. But it is their event. We can only wait and see what they decide.

TL:DR - Message me if you want to be involved in one or the other or both panels at this years PAX. Do it asap please.

Cheers,

Senno

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm down for the game show.
    I've got a championship mule to defend!

• Options
    UPDATE:

We are still accepting people who want to be that awesome fan who gets their moment to share our collective hobby, but time is running out. I am setting a hard date and time of midnight July 3. If you haven't messaged me in some capacity prior to that then you are out of luck. From there, we will work out who will work best on our panels. We currently have enough for both panels, so if no one else puts their hand up - that's ok, we have the people we need and I feel confident that together we can put together fun and informative panels you will want to watch.

As for the panels themselves, while the game show panel is essentially decided upon, we're always looking for ideas and feedback. If you have an interest in a particular topic for the Pinny 101 panel, or you can think of a interesting Round for the Game Show - let us know. It might just get added/answered.

NOTE:

It is again worth noting that even with our work ethic, our passion and our preparation for the panel that PAX Aus does not accept the panel. The formal submission process isn't arduous or trying, but there are only so many spaces that they can fill, so many panels they can schedule, and so many hours they can host. Regardless of our work - there is always the possibility that they deny our panel/s, in which case there is no recourse. Expecting our panel to be accepted has the potential for heartbreak, and betting on being on the panel in order to get Special Guest passes is foolish - for if we are unaccepted, you will still need a regular pass to come to the show. Not trying to be a downer, but there is always this potential outcome. Let's just hope that PAX of course continues to value us and what we bring to the show - and of course, we will continue to bring the best of ourselves.

• Options
    Thanks for those that reached out. The panel lists are now closed. We have full panel lists for both panels - and we're excited by the number of people who want to be involved. Don't forget, our game show panel will offer the chance for audience members to get involved, our panellists will hit the queue in the minutes leading up to the show asking if anyone wants to be involved. Each team will get two additional members - one who will join the team on stage, and another who will have some audience participation in another format off-stage. So if you aren't on the panel - you can still contribute and help make our panel great! And of course, there will be giveaways. What kind of game show would we be with out them?

We're always on the lookout for good ideas, if you have a question or a theme you want represented at pinny 101, please inform either me or @luckycharm on the slack chat, info for which can be found here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202774/pinny-pal-community-thread-3-0-new-pinny-arcade-fans-start-here-winter-is-coming-soon/p1 or you can message me here on the forums.

And if you have an idea for a giveaway or a game show round you think could work with our show, be sure to let me know, again either he or via the slack chat.

We're just under 100 days away people! Get your accomodation and travel sorted and I can't wait to see you all again!

Senno.

• Options
    So - its come to this. Please pin/star this and please do it. 4 questions, there are no right answers, it will help us with our plans for the pax aus panel. Should only take a minute. Thankyou! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf7yaf4orJhfZnvNKjP8LoI1pOD6FrmZYz_o-b_Td63SyrWDw/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

This will help us with the panel on the day - please fill it out.