As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think I must have spent too long in the hipster food space, cos nut milk bag doesn’t even register as humorous my brain just goes “mmm fresh almond milk”.

Same thing happened when some of my coworkers were giggling about the new product range of ‘bliss balls’ that we’d gotten in. It took me a second to reassess and go ‘oh yeah that does sound funny’.

I think I’ve gone full food wanker is what I’m saying.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm just glad someone else is a bigger food wanker than me for once

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You wank your food? This is a PG-13 forum, for fuck's sake!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think I must have spent too long in the hipster food space, cos nut milk bag doesn’t even register as humorous my brain just goes “mmm fresh almost milk”.

Acknowledging that this was almost certainly a typo, I would like to recognize that it is also perfect.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm just glad someone else is a bigger food wanker than me for once

Something something something
    Spotted Dick
    Something.

laugh track

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Spotted dick is delicious as well as hilarious and I won't hear any different

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm in strong support of any food that lets me talk about how great a dick is in polite company.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah, like sandwiches

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah, like sandwiches

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Put dat meat between two buns

• Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    Ok midwest people. Talk to me about Jungle Jim's. All I know is that "omg you HAVE to go there".

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ok midwest people. Talk to me about Jungle Jim's. All I know is that "omg you HAVE to go there".

???

Don't know of any must visit Jungle Jim's in northern Illinois. Are you talking about the supermarkets in Ohio? Can't find much else on google that seems likely.

• Options
    I used some leftover green sauce to make huevos rancheros this morning

the only thing that kept it from being a perfect breakfast was a lack of black beans

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

???

Don't know of any must visit Jungle Jim's in northern Illinois. Are you talking about the supermarkets in Ohio? Can't find much else on google that seems likely.

Yeah the two stores in Ohio. Moved up here and it was the first thing someone told me that I needed to see and I had a vague recollection of people in here talking about it at one point. I think it's been a few threads back now.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

???

Yeah the two stores in Ohio. Moved up here and it was the first thing someone told me that I needed to see and I had a vague recollection of people in here talking about it at one point. I think it's been a few threads back now.

Ok, so Jungle Jims is like the Mecca of grocery stores. You know how most stores have a like a 3-6 foot wide section of hot sauces? Jungle Jims has about 80 linear feet of hot sauce. You know how your standard grocery store has an aisle of "international" groceries, usually Mexican, generic asian and maybe stuff that supports the local ethnic community? Jungle Jims has Scotland, Ireland, England, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Eastern European, Middle Eastern (various), north, west and east African, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., sections and basically everything not captured in an individual region or nation state is put into a catch-all. There is an amazing beer and wine section that even has home brewing equipment. There are fresh fruits and vegetables I've never heard of. Fish that I've never seen before. They have fresh durian for gosh sakes.

It's amazing.

Go there. Block out at least a few hours because you are going to want to see everything. If you are planning to buy any perishable goods, I recommend you note down where it is but don't actually put it in your cart until the very end because you will spend far longer in the store than you realize.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

???

Ok, so Jungle Jims is like the Mecca of grocery stores. You know how most stores have a like a 3-6 foot wide section of hot sauces? Jungle Jims has about 80 linear feet of hot sauce. You know how your standard grocery store has an aisle of "international" groceries, usually Mexican, generic asian and maybe stuff that supports the local ethnic community? Jungle Jims has Scotland, Ireland, England, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Eastern European, Middle Eastern (various), north, west and east African, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., sections and basically everything not captured in an individual region or nation state is put into a catch-all. There is an amazing beer and wine section that even has home brewing equipment. There are fresh fruits and vegetables I've never heard of. Fish that I've never seen before. They have fresh durian for gosh sakes.

It's amazing.

Go there. Block out at least a few hours because you are going to want to see everything. If you are planning to buy any perishable goods, I recommend you note down where it is but don't actually put it in your cart until the very end because you will spend far longer in the store than you realize.

Jesus fuck you weren't exaggerating!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Jim's_International_Market

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Fuck, I knew jungle jims was cool but I've never went. I should plan a trip.

(is also been a long time since I've been to Cincinnati so it might be nice.)

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Fuck, I knew jungle jims was cool but I've never went. I should plan a trip.

(is also been a long time since I've been to Cincinnati so it might be nice.)

Road trip!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Damn, that's a road trip I could get behind

• Options
    We should totally have a PA meet up there

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Still want a PA cookout but we're all over the globe

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    How many forumers do we have in the eastern side of the Midwest anyway?

Like north of Tennessee and east of Chicago?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Based on M!ttens thorough write up I’m guessing they are. I know you are and with dragon and I being up here... at least 4 in this thread. Pretty sure I’ve seen a handful of others around the forums that are (or at least were) in the area.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I’m in Columbus and might make a trip over there now

I wonder how many acres they have dedicated to various nut milk bags

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I live in the Cinci area yeah. Meetup might be difficult for me though with an infant in tow.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    How bad or good is Cuisinart stuff in general because I am thinking about getting this seven quart pot on sale?

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Cast-7-Quart-Casserole-Gradient/dp/B07H45RJ2W/

Couscous on
  • Options
    their small appliances are kinda the gold standard for consumer-grade stuff

not sure how their cookware is, but I'd assume it's roughly the same

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just did a bunch of research on enameled cast iron, and most reviewers reckon that Cuisinart is about as good as it gets before the price jump to Le Creuset. I'd pull the trigger, that's a great price.

For those who are reading this comment after the sale is over, Lodge usually ties or narrowly beats Cuisinart in reviews and is generally cheaper.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Can definitely recommend Lodge's stuff, we have a big cast iron skillet and an enameled cast iron dutch oven from them that both work great.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm cooking burgs for loco moco

I remember why I hate my stove

There are four burners, two of them work

I used the big burner to cook rice, so I'm cooking one burg at a time on the small burner

This is taking so long

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Every time loco moco has been mentioned in this thread, my brain has tried to interpret it as a holiday instead of a food.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm cooking burgs for loco moco

I remember why I hate my stove

There are four burners, two of them work

I used the big burner to cook rice, so I'm cooking one burg at a time on the small burner

This is taking so long

Get yourself a rice cooker. Way more energy-efficient than using a burner, makes perfect rice every time with absolutely no guesswork. Best $25 you'll ever spend, honestly.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wow, I didn't know rice cookers were so cheap
    they're pretty bulky though, hard to find a place for one in a small kitchen, especially if you don't cook rice very regularly

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mine stays on the counter as I cook rice more or less twice a week.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    wow, I didn't know rice cookers were so cheap
    they're pretty bulky though, hard to find a place for one in a small kitchen, especially if you don't cook rice very regularly

You can get smaller ones, they're still only really worth it if you cook rice a decent amount, because you can always do it on a stove top pot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I just checked Amazon for the one I have and it's $23 and the pictures on there suggest you can cook oatmeal in it and oh my god I can cook oatmeal in it!

• Options
    I loathe rice cookers

I've never used one that wasn't a huge pain to clean

• Options
    The one I have works really well if you use it exactly right. Put in your amount of rice (never more than about 1 and 1/3 cup) and between 100% and 130% that much water, set timer for 25 minutes, rice is done, unplug it. Cook it longer and it burns the bottom. Add in too much rice or water and too much shit comes out the steam hole. You get what you pay for with a lot of these things, and people think it's a slow cooker where they can toss in rice and come home 4 hours later and it's done. Some of them do that, but not the cheap ones.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I loathe rice cookers

I've never used one that wasn't a huge pain to clean

Mine has a removeable non-stick pot, and aside form that as long as you wipe the inside of the lid while it's still wet there has been no issue. Maybe worth a look again?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I make rice in the oven, it tends to turn out better than on the stovetop and clears up space for preparing other dishes.

This discussion has been closed.