As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Yeah, ownership normally doesn't want GMs to pay $8mil to a guy sitting in the box doing nothing.

So if you have an $8mil contract on your hands, you play them.

A significant number of NHL teams are only profitable because of the profit sharing model the NHL employs.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    You're trying too hard to force it into some sort of min-maxed game theory equation.

They wanted to get younger and faster. Perry is old and slow. So they did not want Perry on the team anymore.

They *could* have kept him around, paying him but not using him, but it would have been seen as disrespectful and possibly distracting to the other players. He has a full No-Move Clause, which means they pretty much can't do anything without his permission, outside of a buyout.

They talked to him and explained that they thought it was best for both sides to have him move on and Perry agreed (It's believed that he'd like to play closer to his home in eastern Canada). He submitted a small list of teams he would accept a trade to, and none of them were interested in a deal, so they bought him out.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The only real interesting part is that the Ducks actually bought someone out. They’ve only done it 4 times in history, as the Samuelis are notorious for not wanting to buy players out.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    The only real interesting part is that the Ducks actually bought someone out. They’ve only done it 4 times in history, as the Samuelis are notorious for not wanting to buy players out.

This is their 5th, according to cap friendly!

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-history

I was curious cause I couldn't think of any penguins buyouts. And, yup. Zero.

• Options
    Two people gave Marcus Pettersson a 5th place vote for rookie of the year

Which is either, woof Pittsburgh media

Or media in general not know the difference between Marcus and Elias pettersson

And I don't know which is worse?

Anyway, the NHL is publishing voters ballots this year. So we can finally figure out who voted Ovechkin the best center in the league for the wrong pettersson

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Is Marcus Pettersson any good of a player?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kuch got the Ted Lindsay award.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    He's an okay 4/5/6 defenseman

Not exactly award material. 38 voters left defenseman Miro Heiskanen (33 points in 82 games, playing 23 minutes a night) off their ballots completely!

• Options
    Don't mind me, I'm just chopping some onions while watching the awards show

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Omg. Vasi took the Vezina!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Robin Lehner with the shout-out to mental health awareness!

"I'm not ashamed to say I'm mentally ill, but that doesn't mean mentally weak"

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    He's an okay 4/5/6 defenseman

Not exactly award material. 38 voters left defenseman Miro Heiskanen (33 points in 82 games, playing 23 minutes a night) off their ballots completely!

I didn't get to watch a ton of Dahlin this season, but it's hard for me to believe he was any better than Heiskanen. Dude's 19 years old and looks like he's been playing as a top pairing NHL defenseman for 10 years, except he has the extra gear that guys who've actually played that long don't usually have anymore. Defensemen almost never look that polished that young. He's ridiculous.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Anyway, the NHL is publishing voters ballots this year. So we can finally figure out who voted Ovechkin the best center in the league for the wrong pettersson

I mean, at least they didn’t vote Ovechkin to the All Star team twice again

• Options
    Haha, yeah that's what I was trying to say in the strikeout part, remembered it wrong

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woof

That’s certainly a picture alright. What a terrible cover.

• Options
    Is that an actual photograph of an actual human or an uncanny valley 3d computer rendering????

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

I mean, at least they didn’t vote Ovechkin to the All Star team twice again

Huh, guess it kind of did happen again.....

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Is that an actual photograph of an actual human or an uncanny valley 3d computer rendering????

Little bit of both? Here's the source photo

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    The purple also makes his skin colour weird and fake looking.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    girls like purple

girls play video games now

send it to marketing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ...I like purple. I'm wearing a purple shirt now. Still looks gross on the game cover, though.

I was reading something this morning (don't remember where) about how there is a possibility in the near future for Arizona to be moved to another city, with Houston and Quebec City being the leading favorites. The latter makes sense to me, but Houston kind of threw me off there. I grew up in Houston and used to go to Aeros games when they were in the IHL; Graeme Townshend was hands down my favorite to watch. Most games I went to had a great crowd and it was a ton of fun. Once the IHL collapsed, the Aeros were one of the few to get switched over to the AHL, but then they were moved because it didn't make sense that the Wild's AHL team was down in Texas. I heard back home that a lot of folks were disappointed to lose the Aeros. Even then, I still cannot see how Houston could hold interest in a full NHL team.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    But I mean, does Arizona hold interest in a full NHL team?

(I like the leagues attempt to grow the game. Austin Matthews is from Arizona! Putting a team there has made the sport better! Even if the team isn't very good and doesn't make money)

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Every couple of seasons I choose an underdog team to root for. It's the Panthers right now because I like Luongo and I liked Jagr's story (though they may not be underdogs next season if they get the Breadman) but I used to root for the Coyotes. I went to a game one year because tickets and hotel and flight were all dirt cheap and they have a small but fanatical base. The arena is pretty awesome and the entire place howls on cue and it's pretty loud. The season ticket seats have the holders names on them.

It was a decent time.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming they are interested in Houston because it's still one of the fastest growing (if not THE fastest growing) metro areas in the nation. Plus they've already got NBA, MLB, and NFL teams; so the sports fanbase is there.

This reminds me: has there been any discussion around bringing a NBA franchise to Pittsburgh? That's the only major sport it's missing.

• Options
    The NBA has no plans for expansion, no. And Seattle is ahead if there were any relocations. Especially since the key arena is already being renovated for the NHL team.

• Options
    This feels like incredibly convenient timing.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, but this sort of thing happens every year

surely dozens of teams aren't colluding to circumvent the salary cap

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    This feels like incredibly convenient timing.

The articles I've read indicate he may not play again. It's a degenerative disc issue in his lower back. So nothing conspiratorial..

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    But I mean, does Arizona hold interest in a full NHL team?
    Fair point. I'd rather put a team in a city that has the best chance at really holding on interest and bettering the NHL. Also (and more importantly), I think Canada deserves another NHL team.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I just saw yesterday that the Yotes have had a new owner approved. I suspect the league still wants to say that Phoenix is a good market and they're staying put.

• Options
    Guy with the broken Achilles heel limping around the draft floor with no crutches or anything

Wow he's so strong and brave, gotta move him up a few spots

• Options
    Gonna watch the draft for the first time.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Same here!

• Options
    Watching them boo Betteman was great!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kaapo did not play himself to #1, Hughes to the Devils.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Watching them boo Betteman was great!

It's tradition, much like the opening booing of Goodell.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Don't trade Barrie....don't trade Barrie....don't trade Barrie...

Avs take Bowen Byram...

*gulp*

• Options
    edited June 2019
    And red wings going off board for a defenseman that the announcers are saying 'where he really impressed was his personality'

So...

Now praising his size.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    And red wings going off board for a defenseman that the announcers are saying 'where he really impressed was his personality'

So...

I trust in Stevie! Even if he’s not in Tampa anymore.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The guy you reached for at 6 saying 'Wow' about being picked at 6.

This discussion has been closed.