As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Well the actual 4th character aint going to top that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw that on the StS newsfeed, but I couldn't wrap my head around the hacked together Magic mechanic

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    basically you power up your magic with transform cards and it gives cards that benefit from it a damage boost

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That mod throws tons of new mechanics at you.

Transformation - The limit on how high your magic can go. If you have 20 Transform, you can have 20 Magic. You can't have any Magic without having already played a Transformation card.
    Magic - The attack power of Magic Cards, and can also boost the damage of cards that do regular damage if applicable.
    Determination - Can be positive or negative. At the end of every turn you'll gain or lose magic equal to your amount of Determination and you lose a stack counting down to zero at the end of each turn either way.
    Teamwork - Assist Cards based on other characters get a Teamwork bonus if you play them immediately after playing a main character related card, and some Assist cards are Teamwork only and can't be played on their own.

The unlocks for the mod have to be unlocked so they aren't all available in challenge mode and has quite a few of its own relics.

It is a really really fun mod.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Talking about classes and mods again made me reconsider what I would like to see that doesn't "add more" to the existing game.
    I'd actually be pretty interested in seeing a class that revolved around curses. Would be an absolute bitch to balance since you're trying to ride the razor's edge of getting your benefits for having them while also not being overwhelmed by them, but it at least seems like something that would be fairly intuitive with the existing mechanisms of the game (some unique curses for the class, generating strength & dexterity for having curses, some great power and artifact potential in mitigating the effects of curses, etc). Even pretty easy to just name them "The Damned" :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I couldn't watch more than a minute of that because they were playing so poor and slowly. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    yeah not only did they spend a full minute deciding very simple turns they also snap picked relics/cards without reading them

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Asc 20 heart run as the Silent.

Just beat the Awokened One with -48 dex.

That's a normal number, right?

Asc 20 heart kills on all three classes, finally. Stupid silent.

?imw=1024&imh=640&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Moving into A5 Ironclad. It's really making work for progress now. Getting the sense that absolutely every choice matters.

Current run is very defensive. I've got self-forming clay, a couple of metalisize, 5 bites, reaper, the relic that increases in-combat healing, and also Feed to try and get my max HP back up after taking that vampire encounter. Also got 2 Armaments and the attack that can be continuously upgraded (Searing blow?) at +4. Basically I just try to keep survivng and healing till that attack pops up.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Alright, I've got a few wins to share. First, I'll say that you guys in this thread make me feel like an idiot. I'm, like, an old seasoned gamer guy, and this game was kicking my ass. I'd occasionally peek in here just to see what people were talking about, not wanting too much help but just out of curiosity because I love the game, and time and time again I'd see posts saying things like, "Ugh, I'm terrible at this game, I'm stuck on A14" or "I'm awful, I haven't won A20 in like, five games" (not word-for-word quotes but you get the point). Out of 43 attempts with Ironclad I didn't have a win on A0.

I now realize that a win was just a Third Act win, not defeating the heart. Well hooray! I had one of those for each class!

I made this harder on myself than I needed to, because I think of it as a puzzle game, and goddammit I have to figure that out myself. I knew there were combos that I needed to find but I didn't want to read about someone else using them. That'd be looking up the solution for the puzzle!

So a few nights ago, attempt 44, my Ironclad Heart victory. MVP awards to Snecko Eye and Corruption.

83hzfsxk4zgv.jpg

Man, that felt good.

I think Ironclad was by far the hardest for me to wrap my head around, maybe because you have fewer paths to success? Much more often than not I'd bite it in Act 2 with Ironclad, and I only made it to the Act 3 boss a handful of times, so it was a real surprise and a delight to be able to slam on through and take down the Heart at the same time.

Next night I went back and nabbed a Silent victory (again, A0) on my second attempt. Yeah, I think I get Silent in a way it took way longer to reach with Ironclad.

Edit: Huh, I don't see my Silent win recorded. I'm on a different PC now, maybe something didn't sync.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    As some people up thread have said, Asc 1 is probably easier than Asc 0. Once you understand the give and take of classes and relics and cards better, at least.

Elites have lots of good stuff and killing them makes you good, too! Asc 1 throws more elites into the mix, giving you better stuff. It takes a minute to learn how to path and draft, but once you get there, killing elites is your lifeblood.

So Asc 1 might seem harder at first blush and you might avoid more elites, but being able to kill 3 in act 1 is pretty important in Asc 20 heart runs, in my opinion.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Huzzah, I have completed the stupid thing!
    segecg3f5048.png

Minimalist for me as well! Could've upgraded the limit break on the final fireplace, but might have died to time lord. It was a pretty narrow victory.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    segecg3f5048.png

Minimalist for me as well! Could've upgraded the limit break on the final fireplace, but might have died to time lord. It was a pretty narrow victory.

Wow, how do you get down to just five cards? I can see the birdcage, but even with that i assume that most of your gold went to the shops removal service.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Shops, events, relics (I had Bird Cages, but also Smoking Pipe which lets you remove cards at campfires), and just not picking many cards.
    I'm surprised neither of us had Smiling Mask on these runs, but then I'm also shocked how much gold you get at the lower levels. Going back to Ascension 1 when you're so used to 20 is very crazy.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    segecg3f5048.png

Wow, how do you get down to just five cards? I can see the birdcage, but even with that i assume that most of your gold went to the shops removal service.

Just not taking cards would be a big help. Like looking at this, i'm willing to bet that the whale bonus was remove cards, rampage was found super early and used as the initial core, and the rest of the stuff came together shortly after. Add in what i'd bet were some transform events... etc.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah I think it was remove one for the whale bonus?

One of the first fights was either rampage or whirlwind, which was a bit of a hard choice. I don't think I had any transforms, just really lucky with removal events. And on act three I had to hit two early shops, but didn't have enough money for the removals, then I hit the don the red mask event which gave me the gold I needed to remove a card.

I also removed a clash I had in order to buy the limit break on one of the last spaces before the boss.

This was my second attempt, the first one I was at 9 cards, so a lot more luck in removal events on this one

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    You'd have to get very lucky, but I would quite enjoy getting a 5-card deck of [4x Armaments, 1x Searing Blow] with 5 energy. Why hello there, scaling~

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah I think it was remove one for the whale bonus?

One of the first fights was either rampage or whirlwind, which was a bit of a hard choice. I don't think I had any transforms, just really lucky with removal events. And on act three I had to hit two early shops, but didn't have enough money for the removals, then I hit the don the red mask event which gave me the gold I needed to remove a card.

I also removed a clash I had in order to buy the limit break on one of the last spaces before the boss.

This was my second attempt, the first one I was at 9 cards, so a lot more luck in removal events on this one

Hoenstly, i'm pretty sure F1P1 Rampage is always the correct choice over Whirlwind. Whirlwind is a card that can do a lot, and is core to some speed run approaches, but needs at least an upgrade, and ideally a bunch of other shit to shine (Chemical X, str scaling, etc).

Whereas ramapge is just... good from the word go. at absolute worst it's a better strike, and it's much easier to turn it into a monster card. (unceasing top shennagins, headbutt/draw shennagins, dual wield shennagins...)

Also, congrats @ArcticLancer I think you've found the only time it'd be correct to take Searing Blow =P

• Options
    No, we also covered that it's great for the 20 minute achievement. It's just not a good card past early ascensions, where these gimmicks do not fly. :(

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Damn, actually made it into Act 3 finally with the Senshi mod. It's so much fun to play. Actually went in and went for a Big Magic build, and boy do some cards hit like goddamn trucks when you have Capacity 50 going. And you can get some really chunky blocks going when you get a relic that gives you extra energy.

There actually was a update to the mod that nerfed a bunch of cards today, too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Finally a dang ironclad victory, had a much better strength scaling build this time and managed to double tap time eater with heavy blade for a total of ~200 damage. Even still, I finished maybe a turn away from defeat. That was harrowing.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'm up to A20 on defect and I've made it to the second boss twice. Once I had no chance, running a midrange build that couldn't beat any boss with what health I had left, and once with a creative AI Echo Snecko build that crushed the time eater pretty easily but got absolutely trashed by the blue dog. I think I could have taken the shapes and gotten my first A20 win...

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm up to A20 on defect and I've made it to the second boss twice. Once I had no chance, running a midrange build that couldn't beat any boss with what health I had left, and once with a creative AI Echo Snecko build that crushed the time eater pretty easily but got absolutely trashed by the blue dog. I think I could have taken the shapes and gotten my first A20 win...

The Awoken One is actually a bird-monster. A power hating bird monster.

You might have been able to take shapes - Shapes on A20 can be vicious, and they tend to suckerpunch decks that take a while to get going. Like time eater demands your deck be reliable, or you have good ways to neuter time eater's damage. Awoken One requires you have non-power reliant ways to scale OR that you the powers you do play scale you so hard that AW's scaling dosent matter (Which is usally some sort of Heatsinks/Creative Ai/Mummified Hand shennagins, or Nightmare'd Wraith). Shapes are closest to a hallway fight compared to the other two bosses - and demand that you be able to go from turn 1. If your setup cards are on the bottomH of your deck, you're going to have a baaaad time.

Thoguh this is handy, as Shapes are a very good metric for how you'll do vs the A4 elite.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Damn, actually made it into Act 3 finally with the Senshi mod. It's so much fun to play. Actually went in and went for a Big Magic build, and boy do some cards hit like goddamn trucks when you have Capacity 50 going. And you can get some really chunky blocks going when you get a relic that gives you extra energy.

There actually was a update to the mod that nerfed a bunch of cards today, too.

It’s a neat mod, but I’m finding it slightly clunky in block/solid reliable damage options. This is fine it makes card drafting more challenging. The Determination mechanic gets awkward when there are only two transform sources and one of them is 3 energy. When the mod says teamwork applies after playing a character card it means specifically a Sailor Moon tagged card.

Adding another axis of card types outside of attack, block, power and status is neat. Definitely something I would want to see more of. Although it’s an existing mechanic in True Strike synergy.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

The Awoken One is actually a bird-monster. A power hating bird monster.

You might have been able to take shapes - Shapes on A20 can be vicious, and they tend to suckerpunch decks that take a while to get going. Like time eater demands your deck be reliable, or you have good ways to neuter time eater's damage. Awoken One requires you have non-power reliant ways to scale OR that you the powers you do play scale you so hard that AW's scaling dosent matter (Which is usally some sort of Heatsinks/Creative Ai/Mummified Hand shennagins, or Nightmare'd Wraith). Shapes are closest to a hallway fight compared to the other two bosses - and demand that you be able to go from turn 1. If your setup cards are on the bottomH of your deck, you're going to have a baaaad time.

Thoguh this is handy, as Shapes are a very good metric for how you'll do vs the A4 elite.

w8l05vi7usqe.png

Trashed time eater, trashed shapes, with a spare lizard tail. I liked the deck after act 2 and so I took lizard tail as insurance. I was absolutely eaten alive by the shield and spear, probably for the reasons you suggest. Inserter did an amazing amount of work. I think even had I been aiming for a heartkill and not my first A20 win ever, I couldn't have taken the heart. I would have had to route much more aggressively in act 3 to change the deck enough to either start up fast against them, or scale fast against the heart, and both seems unlikely.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Stream be live - I'm tired so this should be an excellent shitshow! Come watch me punch spires and hopefully be educational.

Startin off as Silent today! Link in sig

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Argh.

jKyt9h8.jpg

That was a hell of a run. Having two extra energy coming in every turn, coupled with the Pyramid and JAX giving free Strength boosts...

I swear I saw Luna's Bite chunk a boss for 80 HP.

At the start, I had re-rolled my starting relic for a boss relic and got the Coffee Drip, so I ended up getting the upgraded School Bags early to keep some healing coming in every fight. Which actually worked pretty well? It was also weirdly a low magic build, focusing on more eventually building up strength and having good assists.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Could it be? It could! Stream time once again!

Starting off with some defect today!

• Options
    Huzzah, I finally hunted down 25 focus~
    Which leaves me with 9 plasma orbs and beat a boss on turn 1. I should be able to do the latter - I've just never put together an infinite deck, but figure I should be able to with an active effort. 9 plasma is a real SOB though. I feel like you need to get a bunch of pieces to come together for that one ...

• Options
    edited July 2019
    A necronomicon and a meteor strike gets you mostly there, but I almost never see that relic anymore

Alternatively a madess in an all for one deck, could probably do it. I have that one cleared, but never 'tried' to get it.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Do it with creative AI in a hallway fight. Get buffer stacks going with no orbs but plasma. Use your Echo forms to block every turn and wait for the capacities. You'll need a fusion or meteor or chaos. Ideally fusion.

Edit: also teach me how to build an infinite deck. I was thinking Electro and double energy and tempest, against the shapes. Were you thinking invisible top and only 0 cost cards?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    You don't need nine slots you just need to generate nine orbs in one turn. Not all on screen at the same time.

• Options
    As for killing a boss in one turn, you dont need to go infinite, really.

That event in act 3 that lets you fight an act 1 boss is a pretty easy way to do it, even at max ascention level.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    As for killing a boss in one turn, you dont need to go infinite, really.

That event in act 3 that lets you fight an act 1 boss is a pretty easy way to do it, even at max ascention level.

I was under the impression that Event wouldn't let you get the achievement - at least from a few tries! i ended up getting it from a corruption/dead branch run vs the Champ on A20.

Meanwhile, we're live! You all just missed me getting 6 perfect boss fights in one run.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    I'm not sure when I got it, I just assumed it was that event.

• Options
    So, this run was insane:

Highly recommend you all give this a watch, to toot my own horn - but it's a good example of how you can take a few simple pieces and break the game in half with them. 6 perfect boss fights, 5 perfect elite fights, and possibly a new high score record for me as silent.

Deck list and scoreboard below:
    DD8AEC4C9E58E309ACD1FED7691173B540F0D4F5F82040ABA55A75678455330C27FC69C2812B98B3

• Options
    You don't need nine slots you just need to generate nine orbs in one turn. Not all on screen at the same time.

Huh! I have no idea how I did it then. Maybe I'm remembering my 25 focus hunt...

sig.gif
  • Options

Huh! I have no idea how I did it then. Maybe I'm remembering my 25 focus hunt...

As a guess, I've had a max of three orb slots in ~95% or my defect runs. I don't really care about the passive orb bonus. I love the game, but I also love dieing and playing the game *my* way rather than the *best* way.

I'd rather envoke every third orb than play cards/relics to ensure I have 9 orbs.

To this point, the only achievements I've tried to get are the speedrunner and minimalist. I still have to get the 10 shivs (stupid silent) and the one relic and the only commons. All the others I got in normal runs without knowing/trying the get specific thing.

I remember getting the eat donut achievement in, like, acs 17, with feed being the only card that would have killed the donut.

But I've played a *lot* of the game and gotten all the other ones by random chance.

• Options
    i was so fucking happy when there was a cheevo for feeding on the donut

like you, noticed it when i got it

sig.gif