As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing about the Hildy quest chains are
    They always have one straight man who over the course of the series just gives up on logic.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    The other good thing about FFXIV's handling is that while you're a WoL super adventurer, you're also still a good person that wants to help everybody so you do the rando dumb quests around town.

Edit: like, they're not forced upon you. The character actually wants to.

This is actually a plot point in the Dark Knight quest line, which I found rather amusing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    we've discussed it to death but stormblood would have been far better if either of its halves had gotten its own expansion with some room to breathe

heavensward and shadowbringers benefit greatly from being more focused

On hindsight...just like HW, if it wasn't for those crappy patches setting up ShB I don't know how they would've been able to pull it off. I'm REALLY excited for what they're gonna set up next.

It's gonna be an empire expansion, just you wait.

The order is going to be HW->Empire->ShB->Empire->???->Empire

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    we've discussed it to death but stormblood would have been far better if either of its halves had gotten its own expansion with some room to breathe

On hindsight...just like HW, if it wasn't for those crappy patches setting up ShB I don't know how they would've been able to pull it off. I'm REALLY excited for what they're gonna set up next.

Not necessarily a bad thing, though. Like, SB was them tying up the last of the pre-ARR/ARR stuff. Based on where they went with ShB and what Yoshi-P's been talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually finish off that part of the story next xpac. Actually venture out into Garlemald or something.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    The other good thing about FFXIV's handling is that while you're a WoL super adventurer, you're also still a good person that wants to help everybody so you do the rando dumb quests around town.

This is actually a plot point in the Dark Knight quest line, which I found rather amusing.

They mess around with it in sidequests too here and there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Complete Shadowbringers spoilers to speculate on future content.
    I'm wondering if they'll actually wrap up Elidibus too in the following patch arc to close the book on the Ascian threat now, or if they'll keep them around on the back burner.
    I hope the Eden raid or the patches do something more with Ryne. Eden seemed like it would be her thing from the tease. it didn't feel like they really did much with her post Minfillia.
    With how fucking good Shadowbringers was, I did have a bit of a groan at more Zenos in the tease. Even Elidibus got jobbed. Did mad scientist guy who made the fake echo procedure get killed at some point or is he still around?
    Seems like he could cook up some more substantial Empire threats if Zenos is this nuts. Maybe they'll get more into the weirdness of him merging with Shinryu. like an eventual Zenos as Zodiark and you as Hydalyn throw down since he made a comment about feasting on Z&H's power now that he's heard even they are nothing but constructs of man.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Except when they are, as part of MSQ.
    But atleast it happens rarely.

Though making the sidequests optional looses a bit of effect when you have the option of being a do gooder busybody who helps everyone no matter how trivial the problem, or nothing.
    There is no real options other than do gooder, or no questing at all.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Complete Shadowbringers spoilers to speculate on future content.
    Did mad scientist guy who made the fake echo procedure get killed at some point or is he still around?
    You killed him as like the second boss of Ala Mhigo.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

While I think that we're going to do Empire shenanigans, and probably as MSQ no .X content, I would hazard: [future expansion based on Shadowbringers years out moonshot supposition]
    That we're going to go to other shards, meet their myriad weirdo WoLs & Gerolts, join the shards on our terms [whatever those may be, who saw how ShB was going to play out after all], and then finally destroy both Zodiark and Hydaelyn.

Maybe Zenos realizes he can hunt other WoL friends if he jumps shards.

After this whole First storyline, I'm thinking everything is going to go big.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Finding a way to
    Restore the shards that were lost in the first 7 calamities and/or avert the original crisis seems like the most likely future paths, but so far they’ve been pretty good at being creative with everything so far, and there are plenty of irons still on the fire that they could choose to pick up anytime

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    You know, we're lucky that all we had to do was buy a time card for the black fat bo. Chinese players, on the other hand...
    Everybody loves getting a special mount in an MMO, right? In Final Fantasy 14, the Fat Black Chocobo. Thing is, in different countries that sweet ride is available as a bonus attached to different special offers, and in China to get a code for one you have to eat a heck of a lot of KFC.

The way it works is you buy a family deal for four, and eat the whole thing. It's only available if you dine-in and apparently they do enforce the rule that you have to finish it before they'll hand you the code. Here's what's in the meal, thanks to Redditor u/Cozywolf for the translation:

1 Double Chicken Burger
    1 Vegan Mushroom Burger
    1 5-piece Chicken Nuggets
    2 Original Recipe Chicken
    1 2-piece New Orland Chicken Wings
    1 Old Beijing Spicy Duck Roll
    2 Pepsi (Large)
    2 Peach Oolong Tea (Large)
    That doesn't sound so bad, right? Except that's per person. You actually get four times that amount. Each person gets two burgers (one double chicken, one vegan mushroom), and four drinks (two large Pepsis, two large peach oolong teas), as well as the chicken pieces, duck roll, and nugs.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    My future speculation, Shadowbringers spoilers, etc, etc:
    Pre-ShB I thought we'd be heading to the empire in 6.0 almost no doubt, but considering what happened at the end over there, my guess is that there soon isn't going to be much of an empire to fight. Anyone that was pushing towards conquering the rest of the world is now dead or kicked out to the moon. I don't think Zenos has intentions to use the remains of the empire to fuel his goal of fighting the WoL, I think instead he's going to go search for ways to harness Zodiark's power for himself leaving the empire more or less defunct while they have another fight over who gets to be in charge.

The First was the next world that was primed and that took how long? I don't think we'll be jumping to the other shards any time soon since they're likely not on the verge of calamity. YoshiP mentioned that with 5.0 the Zodiark/Hydaelyn arc is about 80% done. To me, this means some things are going to happen very quickly. I think Zenos is going to do something that is either going to force rejoin shards and/or force Zodiark to wake up or his power will otherwise become a problem. I don't know if we'll see this in 5.x but I think 6.0 will be, at the latest, where we see the showdown of Z/H, most likely using Zenos/WoL as proxies.

So "what's next"? Well, Zodiark and Hydaelyn may be nothing more than primals but they were ultimately summoned because the people of Amaurot heard a sound within the planet that scared them enough to cause their creation powers to go wild. Perhaps this is just what happens when people living in a literal utopia hear something so foreign to them, but these were very logical people (to a fault) who could create anything they wanted. I'm doubtful that just any sound would have caused all this. My guess is that in the course of waking up Zodiark/Hydaelyn we're going to see something much bigger wake up.

• Options
    You know, we're lucky that all we had to do was buy a time card for the black fat bo. Chinese players, on the other hand...
    Everybody loves getting a special mount in an MMO, right? In Final Fantasy 14, the Fat Black Chocobo. Thing is, in different countries that sweet ride is available as a bonus attached to different special offers, and in China to get a code for one you have to eat a heck of a lot of KFC.

The way it works is you buy a family deal for four, and eat the whole thing. It's only available if you dine-in and apparently they do enforce the rule that you have to finish it before they'll hand you the code. Here's what's in the meal, thanks to Redditor u/Cozywolf for the translation:

1 Double Chicken Burger
    1 Vegan Mushroom Burger
    2 Pepsi (Large)
    That doesn't sound so bad, right? Except that's per person. You actually get four times that amount. Each person gets two burgers (one double chicken, one vegan mushroom), and four drinks (two large Pepsis, two large peach oolong teas), as well as the chicken pieces, duck roll, and nugs.

The article has been somewhat debunked by the original translator (since they messed it up when they originally posted it): https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/cd7hp8/the_kfc_black_chicken_ultimate_which_is_now_the/

Basically, you don't actually have to finish it. You also don't have to eat it all yourself. The only limitation is it's one code per family meal so a bunch of FFXIV players are going together and ordering a ton of food and posting images for the memes.

It's still an awful promotion.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    My future speculation, Shadowbringers spoilers, etc, etc:
    Pre-ShB I thought we'd be heading to the empire in 6.0 almost no doubt, but considering what happened at the end over there, my guess is that there soon isn't going to be much of an empire to fight. Anyone that was pushing towards conquering the rest of the world is now dead or kicked out to the moon. I don't think Zenos has intentions to use the remains of the empire to fuel his goal of fighting the WoL, I think instead he's going to go search for ways to harness Zodiark's power for himself leaving the empire more or less defunct while they have another fight over who gets to be in charge.

The First was the next world that was primed and that took how long? I don't think we'll be jumping to the other shards any time soon since they're likely not on the verge of calamity. YoshiP mentioned that with 5.0 the Zodiark/Hydaelyn arc is about 80% done. To me, this means some things are going to happen very quickly. I think Zenos is going to do something that is either going to force rejoin shards and/or force Zodiark to wake up or his power will otherwise become a problem. I don't know if we'll see this in 5.x but I think 6.0 will be, at the latest, where we see the showdown of Z/H, most likely using Zenos/WoL as proxies.

So "what's next"? Well, Zodiark and Hydaelyn may be nothing more than primals but they were ultimately summoned because the people of Amaurot heard a sound within the planet that scared them enough to cause their creation powers to go wild. Perhaps this is just what happens when people living in a literal utopia hear something so foreign to them, but these were very logical people (to a fault) who could create anything they wanted. I'm doubtful that just any sound would have caused all this. My guess is that in the course of waking up Zodiark/Hydaelyn we're going to see something much bigger wake up.

Also, if you read the diaries in the 80 dungeon

It was less a sound, and more that something happened to allow people's fear's to manifest out of control. This happened in some area some distance away, and some people from Amarout actually went out and captured beasts and decided to investigate it. It's definitely more than just an earthquake or a sound or something. Perhaps it's the big bad that'll come out of hiding in an xpack or 2.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

1 Double Chicken Burger
    1 Vegan Mushroom Burger
    2 Pepsi (Large)

Now I want some chicken :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Also regarding Zenos
    I tend to like it when other factions also resist the world-ending evil, even if it's for megalomaniacal reasons. Having WoL be 'I'm good!' and the Ascians be 'I'm evil!' means having a third faction be 'I don't care!' adds another level of unpredictability over how things will play out.

Javen on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah in the end...*Zenos*
    having a completely mad villain going I don't care worked well enough for Kefka. I'll allow it. I mean, would you like FF6 if Gestahl was the final boss?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Joined Sephirot farm.

Everything is fine after 2 sketchy clears people got the hang of the mechanics and we were nailing 2:30-3:00 minute clears but after 20 or so kills somebody had to leave so we start getting replacements somebody jumps in. No hello no nothing the first thing they say in chat

"Why the fuck are we bringing level 70s?" Followed by the party leader booting them.

I'll never understand people like that like why start something over literally nothing. Why broadcast to the entire group that you're a jerk.

Forgive my little rant here but i'm finding Whistle farming to be my delightful distraction from how droll stormblood has become.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm slowly beginning to suspect the new expansion group content being a bit rough to heal is less a result of tanks pulling too much, and more a result of DPS not being geared enough to deal enough dps to clear content in a reasonable timeframe.

Dungeons have had pulls take minutes each as things are slowly whittled down.

And then I did the 73 Trial (sidenote: fucking awesome music) in which we failed to the enrage timer and then only cleared the second attempt enrage timer at 99% full. I had to do a double-take as I didn't believe it, I thought we were wiping again. To be fair, this was less "dps is undergeared" and more "dps were dying 2-3 at a time" which makes sense as to why we're failing enrage timers.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    gotta say I really love the role quests

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm slowly beginning to suspect the new expansion group content being a bit rough to heal is less a result of tanks pulling too much, and more a result of DPS not being geared enough to deal enough dps to clear content in a reasonable timeframe.

And then I did the 73 Trial (sidenote: fucking awesome music) in which we failed to the enrage timer and then only cleared the second attempt enrage timer at 99% full. I had to do a double-take as I didn't believe it, I thought we were wiping again. To be fair, this was less "dps is undergeared" and more "dps were dying 2-3 at a time" which makes sense as to why we're failing enrage timers.

Seriously, everything seemed to take foreverrrr for DPS to kill in most of my dungeons.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Joined Sephirot farm.

Everything is fine after 2 sketchy clears people got the hang of the mechanics and we were nailing 2:30-3:00 minute clears but after 20 or so kills somebody had to leave so we start getting replacements somebody jumps in. No hello no nothing the first thing they say in chat

"Why the fuck are we bringing level 70s?" Followed by the party leader booting them.

I'll never understand people like that like why start something over literally nothing. Why broadcast to the entire group that you're a jerk.

Forgive my little rant here but i'm finding Whistle farming to be my delightful distraction from how droll stormblood has become.

I'm not defending their actions because there is never an excuse for being a jerk.

But I can kind of understand the viewpoint behind that expression. In MMOs there's a bit of an unspoken community expectation that when farming old content, participants should be max level to ensure the smoothest of runs. People go into these with the expectation of smashing the content with ease, and having to "carry" someone who is at the intended level and not +10 kind of goes against that expectation.

Of course, it is only an expectation and I would say play what you want and ignore the jerks. If the game allows you to do it, that makes it fair game. The game says you can queue for level 70 content at level 70, so do that! Screw community expectations.

• Options
    The reason it's bunk is because Sephirot is level 60 content, so complaining about having overlevelled 70s instead of ridiculously overlevelled 80s is silly

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Oh. I didn't realize Sephirot is 60. Cause I have no idea what that even is. It sounds like Sephiroth only spelled wrong.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh. I didn't realize Sephirot is 60. Cause I have no idea what that even is. It sounds like Sephiroth only spelled wrong.

Olde Heavensward Trials. It's one of FF6 Triad Gods.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Seriously, everything seemed to take foreverrrr for DPS to kill in most of my dungeons.

Definitely expecting to see something like the old 2.0 Wandering Palace Speed runs in PF but with "BLM/SMN/RDM only." Used to be BLM/BRD but since they took Foes from us I imagine we're out of the new nuking game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't heard them comment about whether SE actually endorses of the 'massive pulls' strategy, but if they didn't I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed enemy health to make it less tenable

• Options
    I dunno, I feel pretty bad ass spamming the new AoE DRG combo with no TP to limit me. Also Nastrond every pull oh yes!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Sephirot and Sephiroth are both acceptable alternate spellings for Sefirot.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I haven't heard them comment about whether SE actually endorses of the 'massive pulls' strategy, but if they didn't I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed enemy health to make it less tenable

Considering where aoe is at right now for most jobs? I think they fully embraced it. My guess is we're just experiencing the early expansion power shift and it'll feel more "normal" before long.

• Options

Yeah they're entirely different entities. I believe the game even makes a joke about that at one point.

Fortunately, Sephiroth has not (....yet) made an appearance in the game.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I was worried when I did the first trial in Shadowbringers since I had no clue if I was adequately geared. Plus our group struggled with the DPS check, so I have no idea if it was simply other people slacking/dying (since I wasn't dying) or if I just suck as a dragoon. We managed through it on like the fourth try or so I think.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I was worried when I did the first trial in Shadowbringers since I had no clue if I was adequately geared. Plus our group struggled with the DPS check, so I have no idea if it was simply other people slacking/dying (since I wasn't dying) or if I just suck as a dragoon. We managed through it on like the fourth try or so I think.

There are a couple of things that can go really really wrong on both ShB trials, coincidentally both have to do with the add phases. It's both a dps burn phase and a 'burn in the proper order' phase. If neither one is being done properly you won't survive the transition. Once you do however the fight is just basic repetition the rest of the way until it dies.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i did bardam's mettle in leveling roulette yesterday and the tank said "sorry just to let you know i'm not super well geared right now" and then immediately pulled the first three packs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The pressure from the rest of the group for tanks to pull as big as possible is pretty strong. It's been the status quo for long enough where it's expected behavior.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Welp.

6qyHm5G.png
    Cvp8kV6.png
    IPplYl3.png
    mQiynZO.png

All four roles finished. Gonna go do the DRG 80 quest then find out what this mysterious new quest that appeared in the Crystarium Bar is.

Bonus? Dragoon ShB Relic Set has TAIL ARMOR

7dDwyeY.png

11/10 best expansion ever

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Joined Sephirot farm.

We really do need the "brofist" reaction back.

I haven't had too many bad experiences - I did have one guy wait until we finished the last boss of a dungeon to drop "noob tank" into chat and then immediately zone out, and I was like, yeah, you got the "new player bonus!" notification when you zoned in right?, but I did have a salty player in a random hunt group who stood out. Ate floor almost immediately, which isn't that weird considering the group was four tanks, three dps types and a single healer, and then proceeded to make use of his sudden free time to tell the other three tanks in the group that we were idiots and why we were idiots and how we didn't hunt mob right.

It's like, hunt mobs take 1 minute to kill, 2 tops. You can't hold it in for 2 minutes?

Anyway I'm not sure if he still got credit for the hunt mob kill from his sudden solo player status, but he sure felt profoundly enough about it to track me down and send me more tells about being an idiot.

• Options
    BTW...Gunblade 80 quest.
    That was a MASSIVE disappointment. I mean...I'm happy for Radovan but...I mean I'm not even sure this counts as a quest lol. Give me back my teleportation money!!!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    i did bardam's mettle in leveling roulette yesterday and the tank said "sorry just to let you know i'm not super well geared right now" and then immediately pulled the first three packs

*my healer's brow twitches sympathetically*

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Re: L80, All Role Complete Bonus Quest
    I want that armor as a glam more than I want my next 5 minutes of air.

This discussion has been closed.