Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] OOPS All Planeswalkers

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Scapeshift keeps beating me right the turn where I would have won. Like, every time, they're left at like 2-3 HP.

One time I happened to have a Lightning Strike on hand, at least!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Scapeshift keeps beating me right the turn where I would have won. Like, every time, they're left at like 2-3 HP.

One time I happened to have a Lightning Strike on hand, at least!

Gotta love those gainlands!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Don't steal a Liliana Dreadhorde General while you have 20 tokens out. That was the least pleasant board wipe I've ever experienced.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Faced what I thought was Simic Flash, but the deck splashed black and was a bit different. Dropped Niv Mizzet versus the player, thought that was game, and I get hit with Ob Nixilis's Cruelty of all things. I was drawing great and still pulled it out, but it was a bit surprising.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    People are experimenting with black splashes in Simic Flash and Mono Blue (not so mono if you splash I guess) to better handle blue protection. Noxious Grasp handles a lot of problematic cards like Feather, Shifting Ceratops, or 3feri and swapping Djinns for Cutthroats lets you leave open mana more easily in the midgame so you can respond to stuff like people ramping into Cavalier of Thorns or Krasis.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The black deathtouch flash pirate is also pretty good since the deck's early threats are all pirates.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    furbat is there a deck archetype you actually like? I think I've seen you slag off almost all of them at this point.

Only decks I've complained about have been RDW for representing a 1/3rd of the meta for 9 months straight and Nexus in Bo1 because it was broken as shit.

Uh, on this very page you're calling combo decks 'unfair'. I guess I would call that complaining too.

To be fair combo decks are generally unfair. Most of us use fair/unfair magic to reference how the deck interacts with the game on an xy fairunfair axis, like fair is play to curve with creatures and interaction, unfair can be anywhere from a one shot combo like storm or a weird interaction that runs parallel to how magic works like bridge from below, not to say I personally think something is unfair for you to play against me. I didn't catch of this was the context they were using terms in, but like scapeshift is absolutely an unfair deck in standard.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    furbat is there a deck archetype you actually like? I think I've seen you slag off almost all of them at this point.

Only decks I've complained about have been RDW for representing a 1/3rd of the meta for 9 months straight and Nexus in Bo1 because it was broken as shit.

Uh, on this very page you're calling combo decks 'unfair'. I guess I would call that complaining too.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your basic point about the breadth of decks being complained about, but my understanding is that "fair magic" is a jargon term used to describe whether or not a deck conforms to conventional strategy and/or play patterns.

Not that it's also not a complaint but it wouldn't necessarily be, at least so far as I understand the term.

• Options
    I didn't interpret Furbat's post as referencing the normal fair/unfair dichotomy in Magic, but the more general concept of fairness that includes "decks I don't like." That may have been uncharitable.

That said, I also think Standard Scapeshift is about the fairest combo deck I can imagine. It's a non-infinite, non-instant killing deck that doesn't really rely on any unintuitive interactions or operate on a substantially different axis than e.g. "ramp into X=2 Mass Manipulate, win." It still dumps a ridiculous amount of tokens on the board and is resilient, but it's way more "fair" than Splinter Twin or Saheeli Cat.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular

Combo decks typically are unfair. That is a term used to describe alternate win cons/going infinite. Pretty much any strategy that isn't concerned with maintaining a board presence to win is considered 'unfair'.

Scapeshift is a pretty good example of this, yeah.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Play ashiokk. Scapeshift doesnt think ashiokk is a very fair card.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Combo decks typically are unfair. That is a term used to describe alternate win cons/going infinite. Pretty much any strategy that isn't concerned with maintaining a board presence to win is considered 'unfair'.

I don't think this is how most people use the term when talking about Magic.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It's pretty close to how I use it -- a broad descriptor for strategies that cheat on a certain resource (usually mana) in order to get an effect that is more impactful than the sum total of resources spent.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Play ashiokk. Scapeshift doesnt think ashiokk is a very fair card.

Ashiok is a good sideboard card but doesn't do a whole lot against any decks but Scapeshift and Dreadhorde. May as well just mainboard Unmoored ego at that point since Scapeshift can still punch out or imprison Ashiok.

Board presence and alternate wincons are not requirements of fairness. UW Approach Control won via an alternate wincon and maintained little board presence, but it was definitely a fair deck. Urza Thopter Sword is a three part on-board combo but is definitely unfair. Fairness is more about whether your deck is constrained by the normal resource systems in Magic or whether it breaks them in some way, and somewhat about whether you care about what your opponent is doing or not. And again, in that sense Standard Scapeshift is generally about as fair as a combo deck can get except for the times you use Teferi to scapeshift on end step.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Griswold wrote: »

It's pretty close to how I use it -- a broad descriptor for strategies that cheat on a certain resource (usually mana) in order to get an effect that is more impactful than the sum total of resources spent.

Well yeah, but board presence isn't really necessary for that, nor does a board of punchymans mean your deck is fair. Hogaak is unfair and has a whole lot of board presence. Draw-go control decks tend to have an engine or two but are about as fair as you can get.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Well yeah, but board presence isn't really necessary for that, nor does a board of punchymans mean your deck is fair. Hogaak is unfair and has a whole lot of board presence. Draw-go control decks tend to have an engine or two but are about as fair as you can get.

Agreed on all counts, but I don't think OP was saying that the only strategies that are considered "unfair" are ones that don't care about board presence. Just that any strategy that DOESN'T care about board presence is likely an unfair one. All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares type of thing

• Options

Agreed on all counts, but I don't think OP was saying that the only strategies that are considered "unfair" are ones that don't care about board presence. Just that any strategy that DOESN'T care about board presence is likely an unfair one. All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares type of thing

But that's completely wrong. Board presence and fairness are basically independent.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    And in the end it's all just shorthand jargon we use in broad strokes. There's very little to be gained from completely categorizing everything to those limits or arguing personal limits on the definition. If we're using it to help facilitate communication then sure

• Options

But that's completely wrong. Board presence and fairness are basically independent.

I'm debating whether that's true. The only counterexample I can think of is draw-go control (as you mentioned) but I'd argue that draw-go decks care very much about board presence, just not about establishing their OWN board presence. They have a lot of tools to ensure that they don't fall behind on board.

Any deck that lets an opponent establish a huge board without doing anything to manage it is probably setting up to kill you with a flying 20/20 or fifteen copies of Tendrils of Agony or whatever.

But maybe I'm just arguing to argue. I don't really have a dog in this fight! (I still like my definition of "unfair" better anyway.)

• Options

I'm debating whether that's true. The only counterexample I can think of is draw-go control (as you mentioned) but I'd argue that draw-go decks care very much about board presence, just not about establishing their OWN board presence. They have a lot of tools to ensure that they don't fall behind on board.

Any deck that lets an opponent establish a huge board without doing anything to manage it is probably setting up to kill you with a flying 20/20 or fifteen copies of Tendrils of Agony or whatever.

But maybe I'm just arguing to argue. I don't really have a dog in this fight! (I still like my definition of "unfair" better anyway.)

Only caring about the opponent's board presence isn't "maintaining a board presence", though. And most unfair decks also care about maintaining a board presence, at least outside of Legacy; Hogaak, Phoenix, Dredge (mostly), KCI, Urza Thopsword, Saheeli cat, Aetherflux Storm, etc. are all very board based decks whether they are a pure combo or just an unfair aggro deck. (Ok, Saheeli Cat only needs a single Walker to survive, it was dumb). It's more just that outside of Legacy, not maintaining a board presence is not actually feasible and most unfairness is about getting that board presence at a deep discount. The number of fair and unfair decks that don't want a board presence is very small indeed.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It feels like a lot of people play magic while wanting it to a be a different game than it is while continuing to play magic.

• Options
    All decks are beautiful, Stacey. Even Tron.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Eh magic is a broad enough game to both contain all those different types of play and appeal to different types of players. I personally hate playing against legacy moon decks and modern Tron decks but I mostly just accept their existence though I maintain that casting a t1 chalice or blood moon is just coming to a legacy tournament and telling everyone they don't get to play the legacy format and it's a weird flex, but ok

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Winning is fair and fun.

Losing is unfair and unfun.

I have cracked the code!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Winning is fair and fun.

Losing is unfair and unfun.

I have cracked the code!

My Rashmi "do a ton of things then lose" deck says otherwise! (It actually wins pretty often but solely on craterhoofing out)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I added 3 copies of tales End to my simic flash deck. It's so much fun countering all sorts of bullshit. Go ahead and remove 7 counter from chandra to "win the game", i couldn't care less. It's also good to just have some additional ways to counter t3feri.

There's still a ton of rough matchups, but overall I'm having more fun with simic flash than I have with any other deck in a while. It's the best of both worlds, counters and creatures.

Edit: I should clarify I'm playing Bo1. I wish I had the time to play Bo3, but i often play while at work and might have to bail on a match at anytime. This means I often have to make sure the bo1 version can handle lots of different archetypes.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I added 3 copies of tales End to my simic flash deck. It's so much fun countering all sorts of bullshit. Go ahead and remove 7 counter from chandra to "win the game", i couldn't care less. It's also good to just have some additional ways to counter t3feri.

There's still a ton of rough matchups, but overall I'm having more fun with simic flash than I have with any other deck in a while. It's the best of both worlds, counters and creatures.

Edit: I should clarify I'm playing Bo1. I wish I had the time to play Bo3, but i often play while at work and might have to bail on a match at anytime. This means I often have to make sure the bo1 version can handle lots of different archetypes.

What do you cut for the Tales End?

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

What do you cut for the Tales End?

I think I cut one each of syncopate, scatter, and negate.
    1. 3 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
      5 Forest (RIX) 196
      4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
      4 Merfolk Trickster (DAR) 56
      4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
      8 Island (RIX) 193
      4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
      2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
      3 Unsummon (M20) 78
      3 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
      2 Negate (RIX) 44
      2 Opt (XLN) 65
      4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
      4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
      3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
      2 Syncopate (DAR) 67
      3 Tale's End (M20) 77

• Options
    Hmm.

That's pretty interesting. I may play around with that. Plus could just try straight up replacing syncopates with it for rotation.

• Options
    Syncopate feels like the weakest card in Simic Flash by far.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Syncopate feels like the weakest card in Simic Flash by far.

Yea I was thinking I would rather just try replacing all them right now and see how it is because I like my other counters too much.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I did try replacing them with rewinds, but I've been facing enough feather decks that I like to keep them in. the exile effect is not insignificant against reanimators, as well.

Edit, also you have to have way to stop teferi on your turn two.

Although I was on the draw and my opponent went t1 elf, t2 teferi and welp. that was all she wrote.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    I'd rather run Spell Pierce or Quench over Syncopate in most situations.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I swapped them for Narsets Reversals

Not because its a great card, but because its a hilarious one.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    i thought they had fixed the skip turn before you can respond to things bug. turns out they just posted about fixing it and i discovered that in the always sad way

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Getting a nexus of fate with narset's reversal is a real deer in headlights situation for the nexus player. It's hilarious.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I will never completely trust the computer shuffling my cards when that same computer has access to how much money and time I've spent on the game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Getting a nexus of fate with narset's reversal is a real deer in headlights situation for the nexus player. It's hilarious.

I think the best Ive gotten is that sac to reanimate spell

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    This is my current land destruction jank.
    4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
    4 Haphazard Bombardment (DAR) 131
    2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
    4 Memorial to War (DAR) 246
    3 Seal Away (DAR) 31
    3 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
    3 Angrath, the Flame-Chained (RIX) 152
    2 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
    1 Evolving Wilds (RIX) 186
    4 Star of Extinction (XLN) 161
    3 Thaumatic Compass (XLN) 249
    3 Treasure Map (XLN) 250
    1 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
    4 Plains (RIX) 192
    1 Swamp (RIX) 194
    2 Mountain (RIX) 195
    2 Crucible of Worlds (M19) 229
    1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
    2 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
    2 Luminous Bonds (RIX) 12
    4 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
    2 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
    3 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9

Not very timely of me but here's my list: (Stomping Ground got covered but there's 4)
    kfral57fioqi.png
    wsa6am59da3t.png

I don't think it can be updated for Standard because of the loss of Crucible but I think it could be improved for the new Mythic format (which I will be playing over Standard). It also has the potential to completely lock out the current Scapeshift deck. Their mana base is greedier than the Esper decks I made this for originally. With turn 2 or 3 Crucible and a Field of Ruin you can just basically end the game on 3 or 4. It's also pretty fun to go turn 3 Nissa into turn 4 Liliana.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It feels like a lot of people play magic while wanting it to a be a different game than it is while continuing to play magic.

All my decks in Eternal (and previously, Hearthstone) are named FUCK YOU.

Because its true.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.