As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Indulgences

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Indulgences

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    I'm imagining that all this clear land is because Gabe cut down the forest first, just so he could plant trees to absolve himself.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I'll bet EA razed the forest down.

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    Praise Geraldo!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Will do, Pops.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    I'll bet EA razed the forest down.

Close.

EA walled the forest off so you can only access it through an automated door that doesn't open most of the time. Then, they get rid off all the trees except the poplar ones. Phase three is forcing people who want to plant trees to purchase five dollar seed packs where in only one pack in every 50 actually have seeds in them.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Nah, all the packs of have seeds, but only some of them have tree seeds. And the best packs somehow have saplings in them, which grow into trees much faster and absolve you of more sins.

Of course, you can always get seed packs by working in the gardens, but those packs aren't as good and can't contain saplings. Also other players are encouraged to destroy your garden and loot it for seeds.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I can see the press release now...
    The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for planting different trees and shrubberies.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the world's top most aggressive companies currently deforesting the Amazon rain forests. Among other things, we’re looking at average per-logger deforesting rates, and incremental growth of livestock flatulence. We’ll be making constant adjustments to ensure that planting trees to save our planet still give players challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable prior to passing the point of no return, at which point mankind is doomed, also subject to matching price increases on the seed packs.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topic of tree planting, trimming shrubberies and pruning flowers both on our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

Thanks, and happy planting!

ironzerg on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    There's also a joke in this somewhere about EA executives lamenting about the seed pack backlash, stating in private emails, "What do these guys expect? Seeds don't just grow on trees. It can cost upwards of 7 figures to design, develop, and implement each seed pack DLC, and often times we barely recoup those costs each time we bring one to market."

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    On the topic of Madden 20, I live in KC, so I've got an interest in the game just because for the first time in the history of ever a KC Chiefs player is on the cover.

The games industry largely ignores KC on sports games. Even in the year when the Royals won the world series and Hosmer got the golden glove award, it wasn't enough to put KC on the cover of MLB The Show. So anyway, I don't really like sports games, but I kinda sorta want to buy Madden just to show support for my hometown. But also it's made by EA and even thinking about Madden makes me puke a little.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    "What do these guys expect? Seeds don't just grow on trees."

:D I needed that.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm imagining that all this clear land is because Gabe cut down the forest first, just so he could plant trees to absolve himself.

Yes but he planted a tree for the sin of cutting the forest.

• Options
    GibborimGibborim Registered User regular
    The title is a quality double entendre.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Gibborim wrote: »
    The title is a quality double entendre.

I’m going to need that explained to me, please.

My understanding was that it was a reference to plenary indulgences; that thing where the Catholic church would take money in exchange for the promise that your sins are absolved and you wouldn’t need to go to Hell or Purgatory to pay for them. The trees being like that; a repayment for the sin of buying from EA.

Enlong on
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Yeah, and the second meaning is when someone partakes in a guilty pleasure - “indulge yourself”

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dangit Gabe, how many trees died to make those brace sticks... best go plant some sin trees to make up for it.

palidine40 on