As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Venture Bros.] Apparently the movie is erasing the existence of the series

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I just wish they reran Venture Bros. as much as they rerun Rick & Morty. It'd help with trying to remember everything when the new season starts.
    Rick & Morty gets rerun so much because they know their fans have ADHD.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The whole thing is on Hulu if you want to refresh watch

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Rumour going around that Season 8 has been cancelled. Ken Plume (entertainment producer, co-writer of the GO TEAM VENTURE art/making-of book, and friend of Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick) tweeted, in response to the question of "unnecessarily cancelled" shows: "The Venture Bros." Jackson Publick has liked the tweet.

In a follow up, Plume said "no further comment."

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    At this point I'd hope that it's that they've been told to wrap it up in season 8 and not have had a chance to give any sense of closure

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I’d be surprised if Adult Swim/Cartoon Network cancelled it barring difficulties working with them. Unless they’re on CN’s payroll they’re two guys who show up with new episodes of a beloved show every few years.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, is it that S8 has been cancelled, or the show has been cancelled after S8?

I don't know if I'd call ending it necessary, but really, it's like 3 years between seasons and I just have a hard time maintaining interest. Used to really look forwards to it, but the last few seasons it's just 'oh, there's a new season out? I remember that from forever ago, neat'. Might well be time they wrapped it up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd rather the cycle of taking a couple years to produce a season than rush work to get a season out every year. That's something I appreciate about The Venture Bros, and frankly more shows should take their time in that sense. It's actually cheaper to do things on a longer timetable than it is to rush and make sure everyone is recording their lines by x date and make sure the animation is right and oh no something was done wrong pay more money to get it done overnight, etc. But more to the point, there's SO MUCH media to watch these days that it's not like I'm starving for things between Venture Bros seasons.

I've also never heard any stories / rumors about anyone involved in the show being difficult to work with, or strife existing between the show runners / writers / network.

• Options
    What good is gratification, if not instant?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    What good is gratification, if not instant?

At the same time, what good is a reference or in joke from 12 episodes ago if I've forgotten what happened over the intervening four years.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Honestly I'd rather the cycle of taking a couple years to produce a season than rush work to get a season out every year. That's something I appreciate about The Venture Bros, and frankly more shows should take their time in that sense. It's actually cheaper to do things on a longer timetable than it is to rush and make sure everyone is recording their lines by x date and make sure the animation is right and oh no something was done wrong pay more money to get it done overnight, etc. But more to the point, there's SO MUCH media to watch these days that it's not like I'm starving for things between Venture Bros seasons.

I've also never heard any stories / rumors about anyone involved in the show being difficult to work with, or strife existing between the show runners / writers / network.

eh.. I know like 3 people who just stopped watching the series, as you never know when it's continuing..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Regardless of the quality or how cheaply it is made, if no one wants to watch the show because they've lost interest or forgotten it exists over the years since last airing, you've kind of gotta cancel it.

Much like with ASOIAF, I've frankly grown bored of waiting. I mean, if the books / new episodes of Venture Bros ever come out, I guess I'll read / watch it.

I mean, if I somehow notice and get around to it.

Probably.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've rewatched the show more than once over the years and I have no fucking clue where it stopped at because it's been too damned long since a new season. We crossed the point of a "reasonable" wait years ago and the showmakers have been lucky they weren't cancelled seasons back for dicking around for so long. I actually won't even be bothered if the show doesn't get a finale because they've dragged things out so long that I have zero connection to the state of the show anyway.

Shows with real actual people in them manage to reliably put out a season at least every year or so despite being filled with a mountain of people with complicated things going on. I don't buy at all that it takes years and years extra to put out animated seasons a mere 10 episodes long, they aren't hand-crafting their own circuit boards to build the PCs used to animate the show.

• Options
    You people deserve late season game of thrones

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

If they didn't want people to be annoyed at them taking fucking forever to put an ending to their arcs, they shouldn't have made the show almost completely about character arcs and then started taking fucking forever to put out seasons. It's entirely reasonable for people to want stories to end in a timespan where they can still even remember what the show is, never mind callbacks from a decade ago.

If your skill for storytelling means delays so long people forget your story, your skill sucks and needs a lot of work.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't know how anyone is surprised. Venture Bros. was always going to get canceled without any sort of resolution.

I'm not sure I ever even watched the latest season. And I don't really care, even though I loved what I saw of it? Because it was never going to cross the finish line.

There are plenty of great shows that keep reasonable timetables out there.

Venture Bros. is great, but it's not 3-6 times as good as any other show on television.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I like the Venture Brothers, would be sad if it was canceled, and don't understand people who are mad they take a long time in between seasons.

Like, other stuff comes out inbetween seasons. You can watch that. And if you don't remember the previous seasons then rewatch them.

Your complaints sound silly.

No I don't.
  • Options
    It's not like you have to sit around in a room waiting 3-6 years.

It's art and this is how long it takes them to make it.

And just as Adult Swim doesn't owe them the means to fund and air it they don't owe you a different show on a faster schedule. Because that's what you'd be getting, a different product.

The idea that a TV show has to produce ten episodes a year where a series of movies can pop out a 2-2.5 hour movie every three is tied to the idea that the TV has to be lesser quality.

The Venture Brothers does a pretty good job of putting out complete seasons - there are arcs that run much longer but a part of the story gets told each time. It's not intrinsically better because it takes longer to produce but it's both not intrinsically lesser and wouldn't be the same thing if it was produced in half the time.

I like what comes out when it comes out, if your biggest gripe is that too much time has passed in between seasons then it's not something that's wrong with the show.

• Options

I never started A Song of Ice and Fire because I did finish Wheel of Time back when I was a teen.

If anything I've grown more and more fond of the mini-series approach to storytelling over the years.

• Options
    Also, if it's canceled, what the fuck am I going to spend my Hankbucks on?

No I don't.
  • Options
    I like the Venture Brothers, would be sad if it was canceled, and don't understand people who are mad they take a long time in between seasons.

Like, other stuff comes out inbetween seasons. You can watch that. And if you don't remember the previous seasons then rewatch them.

I am not mad, nor did I say I was.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    moniker wrote: »

I am not mad, nor did I say I was.

I also didn't quote you. I was talking generally.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Is there a reason it DOES take so long to make a season?

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Considering the huge health issues for 1/2 of the creative team that have been going on in the background, the heartless content hounding here is not a great look.

• Options
    Is there a reason it DOES take so long to make a season?

The reason from what I remember:

1. 2 Person team doing all the writing/characters/a good deal of production artwork
    2. Shoestring budget
    3. Turnaround time for overseas animation mixed in with long script writing process

They keep the staff on the show as low as they can so as to stretch the budget they get so they can take the time they need to make the show they want to make.

Which leads to the long breaks between seasons, and I've always applauded Adult Swim for allowing them to do it this way.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I can't even get mad about the wait because they take so long that I just stopped caring completely. So their hugely-inefficient production process has made a show I don't even care about seeing end, which is basically the definition of shows that need cancelling (not on my opinion, just the "who cares?" opinion in general). I have all the interest in the show of somebody telling me yesterday's weather.
    moniker wrote: »
    I never started A Song of Ice and Fire because I did finish Wheel of Time back when I was a teen.

If anything I've grown more and more fond of the mini-series approach to storytelling over the years.
    I've seen way, way too many great shows get cancelled on cliffhangers or at their first season to be tolerant of a show that has dragged out this long without producing anything new. They've wasted years upon years in production that other shows would've killed to have to make the show. And that is something that is expressly on the showmakers because that's the environment they work in; they know dragging ass means a high likelihood of getting cancelled and they do it anyway.

People should be astounded CN has put up with them for this long, not annoyed if the show was cancelled. There's been years and years of opportunity to deliver a finale, and the show definitely isn't anything that justifies taking multiple times longer to deliver than other shows.

EDIT: I still hope the show gets to finish but only for the sake of the folks who have managed to remain invested in it; it really sucks when a show gets cancelled on you with the story unfinished. I'll watch it at some point, sure, but it won't be anything I go looking for.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I just hope they get an 8th season and possibly another special to wrap things up.

It's been 2 years since the last season, so the 8th season should be well into the animation portion of production by now.

No I don't.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Publick and Hammer don't owe me shit.

But neither am I required to keep an interest in their show indefinitely.

Real artists ship.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    There's been years and years of opportunity to deliver a finale, and the show definitely isn't anything that justifies taking multiple times longer to deliver than other shows.

Arguably, Operation P.R.O.M. was the finale, and everything since has just been a big victory lap.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We've gotten answers to a lot of questions in Season 7
    What happened to Jonas, the true identity of Vendata, Rustyb and The Monarch being brothers, who was the boys mother

There's a handful of things left, but those could be handled in a final season.

• Options

eh.. I know like 3 people who just stopped watching the series, as you never know when it's continuing..

I mean, okay. That's neither here nor there really RE: the rumor or the production time of the show and how it pertains to its quality.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I'm not complaining- I just don't care about it anymore. Like the opposite of love isn't hate, but indifference, I don't give a shit about venture bros anymore- There were and are a lot of series coming out in the meantime, and I did watch them. I'd also probably not start any new series by the same showmakers.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I mean, okay. That's neither here nor there really RE: the rumor or the production time of the show and how it pertains to its quality.

Timeliness is not without its own quality.

Furthermore, it's really hard to stay interested when we haven't heard a peep about the show since the last season aired two years ago. Are they working on it? Is it cancelled? Is next season a month, a year, or a decade away? Edit: How many more seasons? Do they have a plan for when/how to end it?

Out of sight, out of mind.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Well, crap, this isn't what I was hoping for when I saw this thread bumped.

• Options
    I just always think of seasons of this show like new albums by a band I like. When a new one comes out I enjoy it, and besides that I don't think about it. I figure a new one will come out when they're done making it.

No I don't.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I get that they don't owe me content in a timely fashion, obviously, but I don't owe them unending faith, either, and yeah, it can be pretty hard to maintain interest in a show that leans so hard on callbacks and the revelations that come through the interaction between seemingly insignificant plot elements when I feel like I have to rewatch the entire show again every time new episodes are released in order to appreciate those things, because I've been focusing on other stuff in the intervening years.

I do love the show. I hope they can put out something that can put a bow on things. But honestly, the last episode we got isn't a terrible finale, if that's what it ends up being.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If we don't get a new season, I'd at least like a movie to wrap everything up.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

IIRC, pretty much the only stuff left is
    The boys meeting their mother, Rusty finding out he's a clone and what exactly was his father's ultimate plan with the cloning, the boys finding out Dermitt is their brother, and finally finding out why the Monarch hates Dr. Venture so much. And I guess a resolution for the Peril Partnership stuff. Anything I'm missing?

You could probably cram that into a movie.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

IIRC, pretty much the only stuff left is
    The boys meeting their mother, Rusty finding out he's a clone and what exactly was his father's ultimate plan with the cloning, the boys finding out Dermitt is their brother, and finally finding out why the Monarch hates Dr. Venture so much. And I guess a resolution for the Peril Partnership stuff. Anything I'm missing?

You could probably cram that into a movie.

Regarding points 2 and 4:
    #2- I sorta figured Doc *always* knew he was a clone (or at least from an incredibly young age; Jonas didn't seem like the type to sugar coat fucking *anything*), and that was a large part of why he was so fatalistic and also guilt-striken (but quietly!) about all the dead boys that he's gotten killed

#4- I hope we never, *ever* find out the "real" reason the Monarch hates Doc so much

mrpaku on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I always figured
    It was cause Rusty got to know his father and Malcolm lost his

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I don’t really care about the lore stuff as much as closing the book on the characters, and perhaps if there’s any way acknowledging the huge breadth of irl time that’s passed in the show, like culturally.