As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job problem

papichulopapichulo Registered User new member
So i quit my job i was working at. I did really well there being on the top 5 list in my district. Got 5 recognition rewards from my boss. There were some mistakes i made on one single day. Two mistakes in the same day. They were not serious but i had another incident a month ago where i told my supervisor instead of my boss and was told i did the right thing and its ok. The next day I call my boss about the incident and he said im good. So i thought i was good and to learn and move on. Unfortunately on the day i made 2 mistakes my boss was on vacation and was hearing a bunch of stuff about me but not sure what the details were and I told him everything that I did on the day. I didnt hide anything and told him what i could do to prevent from happening again. He didnt even help me at all. Says he would review video and go to hr. HR didnt know anything yet. I wait about a week and do my best at my job. Called my boss again who was on "vacation" and he said im on vacation and he doesnt know whats happening at all and that it could lead to anything. He finally came the next day after to the store to have me write up my statements on 2 incidents and watch the video i told him about and he already saw earlier. Then he says it doesnt look good and he doesnt think hr will look at this in a good way and it can lead to termination. So i said can i just quit and do 2 week? He said either i suspend you until i hear from hr or you can resign. I told him ill resign. I resigned because i was working so hard and told them i made some honest mistakes but he didnt give me any help or chance to improve. I didnt steal or break policy or anything crazy. Clearly wanted me gone. Is there something I could of done? Thanks

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think it's very hard for us to know the answer to this question. From your description it sounds like maybe not, although potentially asking someone else (maybe someone above your boss?) could've led to a different outcome. But, we can't really know this. We know less than you do about the situation, and you don't know the answer. So, I doubt we can know the answer.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Are you looking for some kind of compensation or legal recourse? If so, then you need to go consult a lawyer.

If you're asking if there's something you could've done differently from a behavioral perspective, then that's hard to say without knowing what happened. This could be everything from them trying to get rid of you to save costs (if you quit they don't have to deal with unemployment) to you doing something particularly egregious and not realizing it. Similarly, your boss very well could've not realized what you did until he was told about it and re-watched the video with more context, hence why he didn't do anything until coming back from vacation.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Not knowing the job or mistakes makes this hard to answer.

If it was job performance mistakes, it's usually better to take the suspension and craft your statements to HR carefully, and hope the past recognition helps you. But take the suspension as a time to seek a new job. You might get fired and be in the same place, or you might keep the job. There might still be consequences and you might still want to leave, but you're likely to be in a better short term place.

Breaking the law, or negligence to the point of serious damage or liability is get out of Dodge time in a lot of jobs, because it'll often forestall police involvement or prosecution.

Serious misconduct that doesn't break the law or something expensive is a fuzzier situation, and depends a lot on the job and the misconduct.

Now, thirdly, in a lot of jobs like retail and food service, "suspended until I talk to X," is sometimes a trap set by coward managers. They don't actually suspend you or take your shifts off and then boom, they have you for job abandonment and it's a free fire with no unemployment in many states.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Corporations can also have termination based on something that isn't up to your supervisor or boss. While the occurrences may have individually been minor, corporate jobs often have hard guidelines where a number of events is an automatic termination. It's especially common with things related to attendance or cash handling errors.

Edit:

Merits, awards and certificates of recognition are also entirely meaningless. If your employer gave a shit about you, they'd give you a raise. Even Employee of the Century gets fired after being late 4 times in a rolling 6 months.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just remember it was just a job. You'll have other jobs and life will go on. Try to learn from whatever mistakes you made, but don't beat yourself up over them either. Everyone fucks up, it's natural, and not to be mean, but you're probably gonna fuck up again eventually. Just roll with the punches. Not every job holds your hand through the training process, many times in professional environments, there's an expectation you should just know innately what to do at any given time. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem dumb, to clarify what you should be doing early on. That being said, the management at that place sounds pretty bad or atleast non communicative. I wouldn't focus so much on the why it happened, but more on how you're going to move forward

Trust me man, I've probably had like 10-12 jobs in the last 15 years and some of them I quit, others I got fired, some just literally went out of business. It sucks but can be a blessing in disguise. Just keep working on yourself, that's really all you can do.

• Options
    Thanks everybody. This isnt the first time it happened. I wasnt fired but i thought this job was going to last. I commuted 2 hours on the buses to get there on time everyday. The supervisor changed and I was by myself and a coworker alot. She made some mistakes to but got to stay. My boss made it look like i was a sneaky person who made him look bad or something.

• Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    What do you mean, "she made some mistakes"?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Generally make them fire you so you have a better shot at unemployment.

If you haven’t committed a crime, file for unemployment anyways. It literally costs you nothing. It’s just harder. Some states have cutouts for a quit or be terminated situation.

If you have committed a crime (shoplifting helping a friend shoplift, etc) let sleeping dogs lie.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    What is it you want out of this thread? For us to tell you how you could have acted to not get in trouble with your boss? How you should have handled a suspension/potential termination/resignation? Because you're not giving us much info here and TBH coming off kind of shady. If people are reporting you to your boss while he's on vacation and HR is reviewing videotapes, you are probably in deep enough that nobody is going to give a damn if you were on time every day or won employee of the month or whatever.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    I worked in security and these tapes were from incidents i taped of people stealing. I just didnt communicate enough what was going on since i was by myself and I bought these up to my boss who didnt know if i made mistakes or not from these incidents. I learned to be more open to my boss so i dont look like im doing my own thing. I was trying to be perfect and impress him but i messes up along the way
    Im here becuase i have a problem with jobs. I always do something stupid or little things that get people to want me out i guess.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The sad fact is, virtually every job today isn't looking for performance or perfection but compliance. Like half of the application process is at least in part a test of direction following, and it's why SOP documents are so extensive.

Read your handbook, read every procedure or guideline the have in writing, whenever you have any direct or indirect conflict or even seem to be outperforming or being outperformed, reference those documents and make sure whatever you do you're on procedure.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    And as a general work tip, don’t try to impress the boss, simply do all the things they ask you, initiative is less important than being able to do all the tasks of your job and the other stuff specifically called out. If the guide says do A B C, don’t do A C B or A B C D. It took me a long time to learn that lesson.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    papichulo wrote: »
    I worked in security and these tapes were from incidents i taped of people stealing. I just didnt communicate enough what was going on since i was by myself and I bought these up to my boss who didnt know if i made mistakes or not from these incidents. I learned to be more open to my boss so i dont look like im doing my own thing. I was trying to be perfect and impress him but i messes up along the way
    Im here becuase i have a problem with jobs. I always do something stupid or little things that get people to want me out i guess.

Your boss didn't know what you did wrong but was willing to fire you over it after someone over his head told him that they saw enough in the videos to fire you? He wasn't the least bit curious? Or is he too incompetent to understand himself?

If that's the truth then maybe you're better off not being there. But if I read between the lines your posts, it makes me think that you aren't being entirely honest about what actually happened and why you're being let go. Or perhaps that you're unaware of the real issues at hand.

For example, people usually don't get fired over "small things" (unless your employer/boss is particular petty, in which case good riddance). But if you do things that aren't in and of themselves fireable offenses but are indicative of problematic behavior yet they don't have solid proof of (for example, creeping in on coworkers in the bathroom without a recorded video) then they might be willing to use those by-the-book offenses as an excuse to let you go. And in some places they won't even bother to tell you the "real" reason they're letting you go, because it's not worth the headache and it's perfectly legal to just fire you for something else instead.

I'm not saying you're a creeper - I'm just pointing it out as an example of what you may want to consider on your own time. It could be something as simple as withholding the truth in an effort to save face and project confidence, but which comes across as dishonest behavior. It could be something more.

• Options
    These are all great advice. I need to be careful who i work for and always follow everything the way it needs to be followed. It could be something else but if i was more careful i would of been there still and not quit.