As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Wait

A smart-connected butt plug?

We downloading custom vibe playlists or tracking our wank sessions for analytical optimization??

Remote control.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hevach wrote: »
    "$400 juicers are now paperweights because the servers shut down" are actual things that I didn't make up.

Wait, what?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/technology/business/juicero-shuts-down/index.html

Super expensive Kurig-like juicer. The company behind it is dead so the juicers are now $400 paperweights.
    Wait

We downloading custom vibe playlists or tracking our wank sessions for analytical optimization??

Basically remote controllable through social media because what better than ransomware in your butt plug than Facebook tracking its use.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    "$400 juicers are now paperweights because the servers shut down" are actual things that I didn't make up.

Wait, what?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/technology/business/juicero-shuts-down/index.html

Super expensive Kurig-like juicer. The company behind it is dead so the juicers are now $400 paperweights.

beautifully engineered paperweights I might add.

Like, there is 400 worth of machined aluminum in that juicer, it's real silly.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    My favorite garbage internet of things thing is resetting a GE smart lightbulb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo
    Use the first reset sequence if:

Your bulbs are running on firmware version 2.8 or later (you can find your bulb firmware version by tapping on the device in your C by GE app).
    We recommend counting with Mississippi (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, etc.).

Start with your bulb off for at least 5 seconds.
    1. Turn on for 8 seconds
    2. Turn off for 2 seconds
    3. Turn on for 8 seconds
    4. Turn off for 2 seconds
    5. Turn on for 8 seconds
    6. Turn off for 2 seconds
    7. Turn on for 8 seconds
    8. Turn off for 2 seconds
    9. Turn on for 8 seconds
    10. Turn off for 2 seconds
    11. Turn on
    Bulb will flash on and off 3 times if it has been successfully reset.

If the factory reset above was unsuccessful, you might have an older version of the C by GE bulb. Please follow the instructions below to reset.

Bulb Reset Sequence – for firmware version 2.7 or earlier:
    We recommend counting with Mississippi (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, etc.).

Start with your bulb off for at least 5 seconds.
    1. Turn on for 8 seconds
    2. Turn off for 2 seconds
    3. Turn on for 2 seconds
    4. Power off for 2 seconds
    5. Turn on for 2 seconds
    6. Power off for 2 seconds
    7. Turn on for 2 seconds
    8. Power off for 2 seconds
    9. Turn on for 8 seconds
    10. Power off for 2 seconds
    11. Turn on for 8 seconds
    12. Power off for 2 seconds
    13. Turn on
    Bulb will flash on and off 3 times if it has been successfully reset.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    Apparently getting anything done about it is like dealing with your insurance company. "The oven doesn't make mistakes therefore it's always user error."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Programmable thermostat not connected to the internet is about as smart as I'm willing to let my home get.
    Anything else is marginal utility for a lot of risk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Anyone else getting flashbacks of George Jetson shouting "How do you stop this crazy thing?!?" I feel like an IOT treadmill would be the worst idea ever - so of course it's already a thing: https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/peloton-tread-interview-ces-2018/

What isn't internet enabled nowadays?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Internet-connected baby monitors have been a thing people have been pointing out for years now were stupid.

There is, afaik, sites where you can basically play "baby monitor roulette" and watch some random motherfuckers baby sleep.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Anyone else getting flashbacks of George Jetson shouting "How do you stop this crazy thing?!?" I feel like an IOT treadmill would be the worst idea ever - so of course it's already a thing: https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/peloton-tread-interview-ces-2018/

I haven't been able to find a mid-range oven without some level of smart features anymore. They're creeping down the neck of the fridge and washing machine market, too.

My neighbor got a smart garage door opener earlier this summer. For a little while I found it amusing to randomly raise or lower it when he was sitting outside, but then I saw the installer replacing it and felt bad so I quit.

• Options
    Smart features in a lot of appliances will likely be like smart features on TV where you can't really find ones without them anymore.

• Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRPCPEC/?creativeASIN=B00FRPCPEC

So now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of weird smart devices. This is a smart fork that alerts you if it thinks you're eating too fast. My ass would be going for a high score.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.” - Ian Malcolm

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Wait

They're apparently popular with cam models as a revenue stream.

Spoiler has the first of a long tweet chain explaining why you'd need a software stack like that for a sex toy. Reading through it it makes a little more sense than your standard lol IoT stuff.

Carpy on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Smart features in a lot of appliances will likely be like smart features on TV where you can't really find ones without them anymore.

Cue a future in which anyone with more than a basic level of tech literacy has appliances that are all 30 years old and/or hacked to disable the "smart" features.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I haven't been able to find a mid-range oven without some level of smart features anymore. They're creeping down the neck of the fridge and washing machine market, too.

My neighbor got a smart garage door opener earlier this summer. For a little while I found it amusing to randomly raise or lower it when he was sitting outside, but then I saw the installer replacing it and felt bad so I quit.

Soon everything you own will be sending your data back to China.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I keep waiting for someone to please start making stuff without bells and whistles that would be both less expensive and more reliable but it hasn't happened

especially cars

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    shryke wrote: »

Soon everything you own will be sending your data back to China.

"Jesus Christ, he's heating up nuggets for dinner again? Get your shit together, man" - China

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in We Did Not Think This Through:

You put up $0.30/gal gas in Santa Monica, and you didn't think it would become a shit show?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    https://gizmodo.com/buttplug-hacker-talks-security-consent-and-why-he-hac-1837252628

Buttplug hacker hacks a buttplug to spread ransomware. That's the joke.

I feel like the IT community did a poor job explaining WHY the Internet of Things was such a fuckawful idea during its infancy, so now the world's stuck with situations like "I can't drink water because my smartbottle got bricked during an update" and "Please don't attempt to lace up your Nike smart sneakers until a patch is available" and "$400 juicers are now paperweights because the servers shut down" are actual things that I didn't make up.

It's hard for a bunch of nerds to be heard over the masses when shiny new things are dangled and jingled over them. And people tend to like newer and more featured things even if they never use the features.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I keep waiting for someone to please start making stuff without bells and whistles that would be both less expensive and more reliable but it hasn't happened

especially cars

Chevy did this in the early 2000s with the Cobalt. Some trim levels had manual windows. Things got ridiculously good gas mileage. No one bought the things.

Evolving safety and fuel efficiency standards make it really hard to try that again while making a usable car. Needing thicker columns plus better aerodynamics doesn't allow for the best visibility and even if they weren't being federally mandated on new cars a lot would be really hard to live with without backup cameras. And that's not going into all the computer control that goes into manipulating things in the engine for better fuel economy or the wheels for traction control in bad conditions because our fleshbag brains can't always be trusted for that.

But most people want the new tech and view it as either part of the luxury car experience or the tech trickling down into midrange cars as getting more for their money and car production is all about economy of scale. Manual transmissions are highly desired by a portion of the driving population but have quickly been dropped as an option on a lot of models as it just doesn't make financial sense to have an assembly pipeline for them because most people don't want them despite them once being sacred cows in cars.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    It's not like that hasn't happened a goddamn million times.

A radio station did something like that in shitsville Michigan and the traffic jam ran to I-75, which was literally two counties away.

Hell, Speedway does 10 cents off and you might as well just sell your car and take up hermitism as a career path.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    In the future "no internet needed" will be a premium feature with a premium price on home appliances. Jailbreaking your dishwasher will be a thing. It will also be illegal to do so according to your ToS agreement.

Hopefully I'll be dead before then.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just don't connect the stuff? I don't understand why you would bother hooking it up personally. Just ignore all of those features. Unless they force you to try and use them? I wouldn't know I am to poor for anything newer then last decade appliance wise.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    furlion wrote: »
    Just don't connect the stuff? I don't understand why you would bother hooking it up personally. Just ignore all of those features. Unless they force you to try and use them? I wouldn't know I am to poor for anything newer then last decade appliance wise.

A significant (and growing) portion run on Sim City 4 rules. For example, the Juicero no longer functions with the company behind it gone, even if you have leftover packets for it. Anyone with a Jibo are soon going to be the proud owners of $900 plastic bricks (or maybe this has already happened, it's been a while since I heard the status lights on them went dark and it started giving server shutdown warnings). And my aunt has a new Vorwerk blender that wouldn't turn on until the setup process (including wifi connection and setting up an account) was complete, which after three days of phone calls I had to just go over there myself and do for her.

Same goes for the smart home company Google just bought, everything from the status board to the thermostat won't actually work until you connect it to a Google account and click Accept on like sixteen megabytes of raw text.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Wait

They're apparently popular with cam models as a revenue stream.

Spoiler has the first of a long tweet chain explaining why you'd need a software stack like that for a sex toy. Reading through it it makes a little more sense than your standard lol IoT stuff.

This is by far the most interesting and informative twitter thread on bluetooth butt plugs I've ever read.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    It's all fun and games until someone gets a box of dildoes:

Escambia County Commissioner Doug Underhill is fuming after a box labeled “industrial strength dildos” arrived in the mail at his county office Thursday.

Underhill showed the box to reporters following the County Commission meeting on Thursday, saying it demonstrated how far the level of civility has fallen in Escambia County.

“There’s no way this is even remotely appropriate in the way that we conduct business here in Escambia County,” Underhill said while pointing to the box. “We have staff members, young people, who have to handle the mail here. I’m a sailor, you’re not going to offend me with anything, but this kind of garbage, and this is the kind of garbage put out by the same kinds of people, the same lies, the same hate, the same anger that they bring to every single issue.”

The box itself appeared to be a practical joke box and was only filled with paper and a packing slip billing for the package that included the email address of the sender.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    He appears to be rather worked up over...the word dildos.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Industrial strength dildoes.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    In the future "no internet needed" will be a premium feature with a premium price on home appliances. Jailbreaking your dishwasher will be a thing. It will also be illegal to do so according to your ToS agreement.

Hopefully I'll be dead before then.

The money paw retracts one finger

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So is he mad there were no dildos? Because it seems like nobody had to know about this at all.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don’t know his politics, but I have a hunch that he wanted to use this prank to cosplay to the media as his favorite character -“persecuted white male”

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I don’t know his politics, but I have a hunch that he wanted to use this prank to cosplay to the media as his favorite character -“persecuted white male”

Read through the linked news article in the tweet:
    Despite the box appearing to be a joke, it was no laughing matter for Underhill.

Underhill regularly comments in local Facebook groups and often takes a combative tone with people with whom he disagrees.

As protests were erupting in Tallahassee following the 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Underhill took to Facebook and called the Parkland protesters "little monsters" and "miscreants" saying they were advocating for the removal of constitutional rights.

That's all I need to know about this commissioner.

• Options
    Vultures have very good praxis.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/us/florida-vultures-home-trnd/index.html
    Swarms of black vultures have taken over a Florida community
    (CNN)A family's home in a luxurious Florida community has become uninhabitable due to a swarm of vultures.
    In a video Casimano shared with WPBF, dozens of birds cover his backyard and screened-in pool area.

"They ripped all the screens out," Casimano told WPBF. "They threw up. They pooped all over the place."

He said he paid $3,000 to repair the damage, but the vultures returned a few days later.
    According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, black vultures are federally protected migratory birds. A permit is required to legally "take" a black vulture. However, no permit is required to "disperse or discourage vultures from using areas where they may be a potential threat to livestock."

The property owners association has security patrolling the area to scare away the vultures if they return.

Casimano has had to get creative to try to keep his property vulture-free. He attached helium balloons to his screen, and he plays music all day long. However, his attempts have had mixed result.
    Eventually the vultures will learn to party.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

The phrase "industrial strength dildos" just raises so many questions.

At what point does a dildo pass from consumer strength to industrial strength? Is it the size or the ductility of the material? And where does the prosumer dildo user fall into this? Or onto it as the case may be.

It does remind me of some review pages on Amazon for power tools where some of the reviews were from people who had attached a dildo to it in order to use as a sex toy, some of the reviews were from people trying to review it for actual construction and DIY use and doing their best to pretend that others were not using their tool of choice as, well, a tool, and occasionally someone decided to have some fun and write a "review" that was ambiguous enough to fall into either category.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Industrial strength dildo:
    image_18604.jpg

Fun fact: when I worked at Harbor Freight this was the most frequently vandalized display. The number of times I was stuck with a bottle of Goop trying to get a "Rectal Use Only" prescription label off...
    It's for smoothing concrete, but if you're brave enough...

Hevach on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

The phrase "industrial strength dildos" just raises so many questions.

At what point does a dildo pass from consumer strength to industrial strength? Is it the size or the ductility of the material? And where does the prosumer dildo user fall into this? Or onto it as the case may be.

It does remind me of some review pages on Amazon for power tools where some of the reviews were from people who had attached a dildo to it in order to use as a sex toy, some of the reviews were from people trying to review it for actual construction and DIY use and doing their best to pretend that others were not using their tool of choice as, well, a tool, and occasionally someone decided to have some fun and write a "review" that was ambiguous enough to fall into either category.

Listen, sometimes you need to buy something that lasts. In today's throwaway consumer culture, 1-month dildoes are a dime-a-dozen. You want something that will go 20+ years without having to constantly buy a new one. You want that good industrial strength dildo with the American-made cast-iron ribbing, not that cheap plastic stuff that breaks down and has to be washed every time and then eventually gets dumped into the ocean where it destroys the environment. All that a cast-iron industrial-strength dildo needs between uses is a good wipe down and then a light layer of oil. Once you get a good layer of seasoning, it will last you a lifetime if taken care of properly.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    It's all fun and games until someone gets a box of dildoes:

Escambia County Commissioner Doug Underhill is fuming after a box labeled “industrial strength dildos” arrived in the mail at his county office Thursday.

Underhill showed the box to reporters following the County Commission meeting on Thursday, saying it demonstrated how far the level of civility has fallen in Escambia County.

“There’s no way this is even remotely appropriate in the way that we conduct business here in Escambia County,” Underhill said while pointing to the box. “We have staff members, young people, who have to handle the mail here. I’m a sailor, you’re not going to offend me with anything, but this kind of garbage, and this is the kind of garbage put out by the same kinds of people, the same lies, the same hate, the same anger that they bring to every single issue.”

The box itself appeared to be a practical joke box and was only filled with paper and a packing slip billing for the package that included the email address of the sender.

So there's a teensy bit more to the story. Apparently there is company called Savage Pranks that ships prank boxes with offensive labels but filled with nothing but packaging and a letter stating it is prank. It's not mentioned in the article but you can find it online. The box pictured in the article is the exact same one on that companies website. The prank boxes are supposed to be shipped anonymously but there was an email address on the packing slip that was somehow traced to it's owner.

The email address belongs to a Perdido Key resident named Scott Anderson, who told the News Journal he had no idea about the box being sent to Underhill or how his email address ended up on the packing slip.

"I'm totally stunned by all of this," Anderson said.

I have no idea if he's being truthful or not.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Don't you worry your pretty little head, Consumer-Citizen, soon Amazon and Google will just roll out nation-wide LoRa networks your devices will be hardwired to send data to, no personal internet connection required!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Don't you worry your pretty little head, Consumer-Citizen, soon Amazon and Google will just roll out nation-wide LoRa networks your devices will be hardwired to send data to, no personal internet connection required!

Good news. My house has plaster walls. The kind with chicken wire in it.

My own little Faraday cage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.