As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I just heard someone in distress

ElaroElaro ApologeticRegistered User regular
I was in my "apartment", (a one-room studio owned by the university where I study), and I think I heard someone get assaulted or worse in another studio on my floor, about 30 minutes ago. I don't know if the attacker is still there, or if I should get directly involved. I should probably call security, but I don't know if the victim is okay with that? Also I am afraid of retaliation.

I don't know what to do...

Children's rights are human rights.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If you heard someone get attacked call the cops.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If you're in a dorm then contact residence security. Write down an account of the events so you can keep what happened fresh in your mind and write down the time as well, of when it occurred and the time you write. If there is no residence security, call police.

Presumably they can go room to room and ensure everyone is okay.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Please call security and contact your RA as soon as you can.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    OK, I talked to the security guard, he said he was going to inquire into the health of the people in my floor-neighborhood, but he also said that he just did the rounds and didn't hear anything. So now I'm faced with the possibility that I might've been aurally hallucinating. I've never hallucinated like that before, but I am diagnosed as a schizophrenic, (even though it's not that kind of schizophrenia), so who knows.

Updates as I learn more.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    OK, I talked to the security guard, he said he was going to inquire into the health of the people in my floor-neighborhood, but he also said that he just did the rounds and didn't hear anything. So now I'm faced with the possibility that I might've been aurally hallucinating. I've never hallucinated like that before, but I am diagnosed as a schizophrenic, (even though it's not that kind of schizophrenia), so who knows.

Updates as I learn more.

I mean, you also may not have, and the security guard wasn't around for the incident. You did say it happened about ~30 minutes ago, right? If he walked about 10 minutes ago, it's entirely possible he wouldn't have heard it.

And to be honest, it's better to have played it safe and called security than assumed you were hallucinating - it's good you called. If you don't feel his response was sufficient (i.e. he's not going to check on the neighbors) you can absolutely still call the police for a wellness check.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Security guards are not on site to ensure the well-being of the residents, but of the rental company. Next time call the police, security companies may have good employees but many have policies designed to minimize the amount of police call-outs at the behest of the management companies.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Security guards are not on site to ensure the well-being of the residents, but of the rental company. Next time call the police, security companies may have good employees but many have policies designed to minimize the amount of police call-outs at the behest of the management companies.

Schools have policies in Canada about policing on campuses wherein residential officers are Special Constables. Essentially sworn in peace officers, they have some powers like the ability to handle emergencies, investigate, and arrest, but don't carry firearms. They basically keep the peace on campus. They're intended to be the first line if there are any campus issues, and bring in full police officers if issues escalate from what I recall of my University training back in the day.

If Elaro is on a Canadian campus and Quebec's special constables are anything like Ontario's, he contacted the right person.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Cool, no worries then. For US readers, this isn't the case though.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Enough time has passed that I'm going to assume that for better or worse this has been resolved.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.