As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'd be skeeved out enough to change my online banking info if you don't have an authenticator or thumbprint login for it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait. Two hour amazon delivery? What?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I remember I dumped verizon after a $600 bill because apparently "free unlimited texting" had a fine print of "with verizon members" when that was not the case when I first signed up 6 years prior, apparently they only give you like 50 or so to non-verizon free then the rest are $$ once your phone is paid off.

I was fine paying them the $250 a month for my two lines until that point. They probably lost a lot of potential money on a lot of customers with dumb billing like that. Text messages cost them literally nothing, and they lost that $250 a month and I'm sure I wasn't the only one that that applied to. How much have they lost over the years to people leaving for t-mobile and fi over stuff like this?

Holy fucking shitballs, $250/month for two phones?
    My partner and I both pay $30/month. That's unlimited calls and texts, a bunch of international calls and texts, and 2.5 gigs of data a month. If we want 10 gigs/month, it's $40/each.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I remember I dumped verizon after a $600 bill because apparently "free unlimited texting" had a fine print of "with verizon members" when that was not the case when I first signed up 6 years prior, apparently they only give you like 50 or so to non-verizon free then the rest are $$ once your phone is paid off.

I was fine paying them the $250 a month for my two lines until that point. They probably lost a lot of potential money on a lot of customers with dumb billing like that. Text messages cost them literally nothing, and they lost that $250 a month and I'm sure I wasn't the only one that that applied to. How much have they lost over the years to people leaving for t-mobile and fi over stuff like this?

My partner and I both pay $30/month. That's unlimited calls and texts, a bunch of international calls and texts, and 2.5 gigs of data a month. If we want 10 gigs/month, it's $40/each.

Yea we pay $110 for 2 Smart Phones on verizon with unlimited calls/text and 8gb a month shared.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Wait. Two hour amazon delivery? What?

Amazon Prime Now, available in specific regions. In certain zip codes you can use a special app to order items immediately available in their special distribution center for one- or two-hour delivery, including groceries from Whole Foods.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    somebody in Brazil hacked my Spotify

all they did was add a bunch of EDM and Brazilian dance hit playlists

this reminds me of a documentary from about 15 years back when this group of kids would break into peoples homes and simply rearrange the furniture into a new layout
    Are you sure that wasn't Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsuuiVzS6Js

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 (2019, 2nd Gen) Review
    https://youtu.be/bDLTQEQzbY4
    13:24
    Lisa Gade reviews the 2nd gen Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16, available in fall 2019. Wacom stays with the same overall design and lovely wide gamut 4K IPS matte etched display with touch and Wacom EMR Pro Pen 2, but they did make some significant changes to performance and upgradability. The 15.6” drawing tablet with a computer built in runs Windows 10 Pro on the Intel 8th gen quad core 28 watt Core i7-8559U processor with NVIDIA Quadro P1000 graphics. It ships with 16GB DDR4 RAM and a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD. It’s now possible to upgrade RAM and SSD yourself! The tablet supports 8,192 pressure levels and 60 degrees of tilt.

3500 hooooo boy

Peas on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My partner has a little Intel NUC that she does her photo editing on, but she has been getting frustrated with its limitations, so I'm looking at building her a proper system.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking at for a more (reasonably priced) photoshop/lightroom focused workstation? I've only ever built gaming PCs, so I'm not sure how this compares.

Ideally I'd like to keep it physically compact if possible too, but that's not a huge priority.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean honestly you could just go with a more powerful NUC. They've got some beasts around now.

Maybe talk to the AC? try the photo thread/chat thread. Personally I use a mac, so ...

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    There are definitely people in here who is much more worthy of giving you a better answer compared to me

Other than getting a mac, i would recommend having at least 16gb ram and an ips panel close to 100% srgb and adobe rgb, 4k screen is nice and calibration stuff is way out of my league, more for professionals and hardcore hobbyist

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I mean honestly you could just go with a more powerful NUC. They've got some beasts around now.

Maybe talk to the AC? try the photo thread/chat thread. Personally I use a mac, so ...

Apparently the new spec i3 NUCs outperform the old i7 ones, so a new beefy NUC might be sufficient.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So here's a dumb, stupid thing that may be useful for you all sometime in the dark, dark future.

For the past week or so, I noticed that I haven't been getting any voicemails. Normally, that's nbd because no one calls me and I don't wanna listen to them, but I had on-call so that's kind of a problem. I only know I had messages pending because I get texts whenever I have a new message. But my phone doesn't pop a notification and visual voicemail is completely empty.

After several days of trying to figure the thing out, up to factory resetting the damn phone, I finally tried long-holding 1 to reach voicemail -- something I haven't done in practically a decade -- and while that works, this is the 21st century and I'm not an animal. However, I then noticed that the VM contact in my recent call history had a slash icon. Yeah, the "Voicemail" contact was blocked, and you can probably guess what happened: some shithead neighborhood-spoofed my own goddamn number, I reflexively blocked it without paying attention, and because voicemail is tied with your phone number (long holding 1 is a shortcut to calling your own number), inadvertently blocking it killed all VM functionality period.

Because Android phone app doesn't normally allow you to block your own voicemail, it doesn't normally allow you to normally unblock it either because no one thought of that edge case, so instead I had to go through this gigantic, unsearchable list and unblock my own damned number, and finally everything works again.

Moral of this short story: phones suck, don't talk to people.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

yeah verizon is shit from a butt

I pay $30 now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Apple just announced their own games service and they are no shit advertising it with fucking frogger

and a partnership with beloved industry staple konami

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Apple just announced their own games service and they are no shit advertising it with fucking frogger

and a partnership with beloved industry staple konami

you know I'm still fucking amazed that apple doesn't allow livestreaming of this shit

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I guess they're paying Konami for Pro Evolution Soccer exclusivity? That actually is something, I think, PES was the only survivor of Konami's game development purge because it is enormously popular worldwide and makes them shit-tons of money.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I guess they're paying Konami for Pro Evolution Soccer exclusivity? That actually is something, I think, PES was the only survivor of Konami's game development purge because it is enormously popular worldwide and makes them shit-tons of money.

konami did recently say they wanted to get back into gaming and use their existing IPs

although that might just mean more pachinko games

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I think they are specifically getting back into videogames because Japan is starting to regulate pachinko shit more

• Options
    oh shit they're bringing back Ghost Writer I'm back on board fuck me daddy apple

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    oh shit they're bringing back Ghost Writer I'm back on board fuck me daddy apple

$4.99 for a family subscription to their TV+ service doesn't seem so bad.

Free year of TV+ with new iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV purchases also seems good.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Are they gonna let me download my itunes library to my android phone yet

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty big announcement that the 7th edition of ipad will be called the iPad Cum

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Lmao the 7th gen iPad still uses the 1st gen Apple Pencil

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Any news on watch bands

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    4nOfY6Fl.jpg
    VCNwPeDl.jpg
    6YsywrZl.jpg
    FzpJSLDl.jpg
    NQxqKYal.jpg

iPhone 11 looks... kinda chunky? multicamera is good though

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Finally, a camera mode I can use to take photos of my cats in the middle of the night. Thanks, Apple.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Any news on watch bands

ytgwOZQl.jpg
    us9EqKkl.jpg
    11BF5iUl.jpg
    SZhxTuZl.jpg

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    No oled? Why tho

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    Finally, a camera mode I can use to take photos of my cats in the middle of the night. Thanks, Apple.

I'm not gonna say what most of my Pixel night-shot pictures are about.

• Options
    I mean I'm buying this phone because my old one is smashed so I may as well at least be pissy about it

• Options
    Alright let's see what the rich people version has

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Alright let's see what the rich people version has

9pQLeQr.jpg
    TRI CAMERA
    (That brightness is insane for a phone, it puts it in range of the best HDR TVs.)
    by Samuel Axon 14:11

New OLED panel, P3 wide color, 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio, up to 1200 nits of brightness, and Haptic Touch.
    by Samuel Axon 14:10

INSANE BLINDING SCREEN

Brolo on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i want to know if all this power conserving CPU stuff is in the poor man phone too, because... that's really what I want

i work my phone like a dog all day, and I need battery

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    pfffff that camera's not so special

I have a 120-degree field of view, too

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kinda want that new Watch for the always on screen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Also how is the base 11 $600 when my X was $1000? Are they just lowering the prices on their own?

• Options
    i want to know if all this power conserving CPU stuff is in the poor man phone too, because... that's really what I want

the power stuff is weird since they're talking about it like it's some new stuff

but it's like... that's just power gating? CPUs have been doing this since like... the late 90s?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

the power stuff is weird since they're talking about it like it's some new stuff

but it's like... that's just power gating? CPUs have been doing this since like... the late 90s?

Isn't that like Apples whole thing though? At least these days

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

idk, but 4 dedicated low power cores for low intensity tasks only is potentially a big deal if that's bespoke... i can tell you live from the debugging trenches, that a lot of iphone apps eat power capriciously on things that are not at all "important" and you wouldn't know at all if they took 100ms longer

so if that's new, that's a big deal (for people who must use their phones all day professionally, hi)

• Options
    ill be honest

i do like the triple camera thing. my biggest annoyance about all phone cameras is how little control you have over the field of view, apart from physically moving around

This discussion has been closed.