Options

[chat] of Holding

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I usually justify bad decision-making in film and movies by the characters' mental state. Like, if they are freaking out and go do the first thing they think of that might help, I will excuse that. It's part of the story. I start to hate it when an ultra-competent character makes dumb choices though. That's just lazy writing.

people in movies often freak out in a way that people rarely if ever do in reality

we are relatively ok at surviving usually

Usually, though there have been one off anecdotes about people doing the absolute worst thing like 10 times in a row to eventually end up dying in a horrific way.

"And that's how my uncle died from anal sex."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Did you guys see where that judge who got recalled for his shockingly light sentencing in the Brock Turner case tried to get a job as a high school girls’ tennis coach under a different name?

This world tests my credulity on a daily basis

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Atomika that's like perfectly in character for him tho?

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    It's rainy and I'm working from home in my jim-jams, but I have no food for lunch. The thought of putting on pants and driving somewhere and getting out of my car in the rain is currently on par with starving.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Did you guys see where that judge who got recalled for his shockingly light sentencing in the Brock Turner case tried to get a job as a high school girls’ tennis coach under a different name?

This world tests my credulity on a daily basis

You mean, Convicted Rapist Brock turner? That judge?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    As someone who has been to the NCIS headquarter I love popping people's bubble of what NCIS really is.

Its cubes. Lots of cubes. Cubes old enough to drink. In a room with no windows and cheap lighting like all government buildings. It is a mix of people in suits/dress clothing and uniforms. And many of them look exactly how you would think a person working for the FBI of the Navy would look.

Also the cafeteria kind of sucks and sells Papa Johns.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    It's rainy and I'm working from home in my jim-jams, but I have no food for lunch. The thought of putting on pants and driving somewhere and getting out of my car in the rain is currently on par with starving.

Delivery?

Delivery.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, and justrightmouth bass.

My favorite thing learning about a fish was when they changed the name of a trash fish *cough* chilean sea bass *cough* to make it more attractive to idiots, and it worked! I'm looking for the day they change carp's name to "Deep Dive bass" or something.

Avoid paying too much for a St. Peter’s Fish if you see it on a menu anywhere

• Options
    Isn't Chilean sea bass/trash fish at least tasty?

Carp taste like the toilet on a greyhound bus.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    As someone who has been to the NCIS headquarter I love popping people's bubble of what NCIS really is.

Its cubes. Lots of cubes. Cubes old enough to drink. In a room with no windows and cheap lighting like all government buildings. It is a mix of people in suits/dress clothing and uniforms. And many of them look exactly how you would think a person working for the FBI of the Navy would look.

What they don't fight international terrorists with highly trained spies? Pfft what a disappointment

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

But the LA office is completely accurate on the show right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Delivery?

Delivery.

Actually,
    It’s DiGiorno

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Yes with the same cubes and lighting but mostly on a base and like a staff of like 15 people.

I bet Singapore office is nice though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    What did Chilean Sea Bass used to be?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Delivery?

Delivery.

Actually,
    It’s DiGiorno

Oh shit I forgot about the freezer!

TJs to the rescue.

chicken-masala.jpg

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Yes with the same cubes and lighting but mostly on a base and like a staff of like 15 people.

The LA office in the show looks like a converted spanish villa, or some building adjacent to Union Station. It's insane.

At least the normal show looks like cubes, just way too many windows.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Atomika that's like perfectly in character for him tho?

TIL that he also had a special campaign to fight against his recall, and its slogan was “Learn the Facts!”

How is this a real person

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

boom, fat Leonard joke here

Task and Purpose is leaking

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Sea Bass is indeed tasty

• Options

The LA office in the show looks like a converted spanish villa, or some building adjacent to Union Station. It's insane.

I want someone to make a movie about investigators that shows the true glamour of government work.

No free coffee. One microwave. Old beige cubes in a beige room with florescent lighting and no windows because it is a secure facility. Computers that are a 5+ years out of date. With a lot of other unrelated offices on the same floor. Lunches at over priced cafeterias. And most folks eat at their desk because it saves money.

And most of their time is either replying to emails, posting on reddit, or maybe writing up reports and answering the same inane question over and over again. And meetings. Lots of repetitive meetings.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    actually Glenn Defense was the Phillipines iirc

It felt like that joke was about Singapore but now I'm unsure

• Options
    Most police offices are also cubicals. The local PD once took an office picture and I was like "shit that looks like my job"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Patagonian Toothfish

• Options

I want someone to make a movie about investigators that shows the true glamour of government work.

No free coffee. One microwave. Old beige cubes in a beige room with florescent lighting and no windows because it is a secure facility. Computers that are a 5+ years out of date. With a lot of other unrelated offices on the same floor. Lunches at over priced cafeterias. And most folks eat at their desk because it saves money.

And most of their time is either replying to emails, posting on reddit, or maybe writing up reports and answering the same inane question over and over again. And meetings. Lots of repetitive meetings.

*raises hand*

I'd love some meetings tho

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    when something says "angle theta" I almost always change it to "angle phi" in my calculations

just because I'm never happy with how my thetas look and I never really found a good way to write them, while man oh man these phis are sexy

wow wtf

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Patagonian Toothfish

Pacific Ass Cod

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    when something says "angle theta" I almost always change it to "angle phi" in my calculations

just because I'm never happy with how my thetas look and I never really found a good way to write them, while man oh man these phis are sexy

wow wtf

You should do "angle delta", because delta has three angles.

• Options
    Patagonian Toothfish

I googled it since I thought nobody had replied and people were making up names as a joke

no, you are right

• Options
    I liked how Bosch had the hollywood division look like a real police building, not in the best maintenance, old cubicals, and people arguing over who's chair is whos. Probably because Connelly's books always made every police building Harry was in sound about the most boring pedestrian place to be.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

wow wtf

You should do "angle delta", because delta has three angles.

yeah but have you seen these fuckin delts bro

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

*raises hand*

Meetings are awful and pointless 90% of the time when a quick huddle up would suffice

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

wow wtf

8Bs94AFm.jpg

it's a very good greek letter

most pleasing

meanwhile, theta is garbage

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Just your standard government office:

NCIS-set.jpg

I like to ART
  • Options

*raises hand*

Meetings are awful and pointless 90% of the time when a quick huddle up would suffice

I honestly feel like people have no mastery of the law here

no we should sit the fuck down and hammer some of this shit out

stop counting 401ks dollar-for-dollar on asset reviews, be able to describe how something does or doesn't meet fed regs

• Options
    This is close to what mine looks like.

b37ghwflcuoc.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ahahaha fuck this shit

z28x92w76mc9.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This is close to what mine looks like.

b37ghwflcuoc.png

Sending you a flip phone through UPS

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    what's with the half-walls in those cubicles anyways?

That's almost worse than an open floor plan.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I want scientific research on the office layout that makes workers happiest. Compare that to most productive layout. Does having no privacy actually keep you on task more?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Nurses’ stations tend to be panopticons, out of necessity

This discussion has been closed.