Options

Server Admin [Chat]

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    The biggest source of tension in my life is seeing friends make 150k+ a year getting data science or bioinformatics jobs and knowing I could also do that, but I'd be suicidally unhappy

Versus the salary I get right now, which is criminal, but I'm absolutely in love with my job and actually look forward to going to work every day

BURN THE WITCH

PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

p3hkrarwq4vv.jpg

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    All our proposal writers get a bonus for every contract they bring in

That would cause absolute chaos here.

how so? you bring in money for the company, you get paid a bit extra.

How do you determine who wrote the proposal? Here it's usually 2-10 people involved and the effort is not evenly divided at all

You determine it the same way you determine senior authorship on papers!

This will certainly not have bad consequences if we add money directly to this problem!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm checking statistacs.

I was in the 64th percentile of salary three years ago, now I'm in the 90th. By estimation then I am set to cross the 100th next year. Sweet

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    if I won the lotto i'd retire and adopt a bunch of kids

30-50 feral children

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    @SniperGuy

So I've been pretty solidly playing Magic since the start of the month and after experimenting with a new deck build (still white/black) for about a week I busted into Platinum last night after starting at Bronze at the start of the month.

Nice! I haven't been playing for a while because of other games and stuff but this next set looks super fun so I'm definitely gonna be diving into thag one a ton.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I'm checking statistacs.

I was in the 64th percentile of salary three years ago, now I'm in the 90th. By estimation then I am set to cross the 100th next year. Sweet

I like to use this whenever I get a raise:

https://graphics.wsj.com/what-percent/

I like putting in that I'm a female millennial therefore my success is more impressive than other people's.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I just earned a badge that I don't deserve
    Thank you forum

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    whenever I get a raise

*weeps millennially*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    For my area im like 90ish%.

For my job i am like 30th% or the like heh. Rural tribe means you dont make that city IT manager/engineer money.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I've always thought the rates of lotto winners going bankrupt has too much of a selection bias.

I mean, lotto winners select from the group of people who regularly play the lottery, not exactly the best fiscal decision.
    But I want my dopamine kick.

• Options
    I'm checking statistacs.

I like putting in that I'm a female millennial therefore my success is more impressive than other people's.

Hovering over the different categories on the page :(

It was the same on the one I checked though they only had male/female and age as categories.

• Options
    Is there a jackpot value high enough that playing the lottery is the correct mathematical decision?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I'm about midrange, but that's partly because the canadian dollar is the red headed stepchild of world currencies.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    a
    Deebaser wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Where do you even put 5 million dollars without it being a huge hassle to deal with?

an investment account?

if you're moving money in and out a lot to handle every day expenses you're probs paying a lot in transaction fees tho

I'm confused... why would you put away so much of it that you need to keep moving it for every day expenses?

im thinking about a super rich person that probably spends north of 6 figures every month

are there special rich person checking accounts? cuz the FDIC limit is $250k (and is that only for savings accounts or savings/checking) so I assume you don't want to keep it all in a pleb checking account like the rest of us

a money market account at Vanguard or similar

you've got your securities and a cash position, and you can use the cash just like a debit card

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Is there a jackpot value high enough that playing the lottery is the correct mathematical decision?

yes. IIRC, 670,000,000

• Options
    All our proposal writers get a bonus for every contract they bring in

That would cause absolute chaos here.

how so? you bring in money for the company, you get paid a bit extra.
    Depends on how the companies are structured. Many govt contractors (especially 8(a) contractors) do proposal teams. Where 20 people write the proposal and 1 person keeps version control. Other contractors have a Sr. Project Manager or VP who writes the proposals and in turn ends up getting a commission.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

There isnt an amount for 1 ticket but there is an amount for buying all the tickets. And people have gotten investors to do so before.

These days the odds are such that buying all the tickets would be near impossible though

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I'm like 50% (for now!) but MrsNub is like 5%

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm checking statistacs.

Overall, I'm in the 6th percentile.

In my demographic, I'm at the 40th percentile. Which just shows how easy the world makes it for highly educated white males.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Whenever it gets that high, there are international fund organizations that go around and buy out enough to win.

BSoB on
  • Options
    I'm checking statistacs.

...I feel a little better now
    "You're a 42 percenter among white Gen X men with an advanced degree"

Now I feel less getting eaten.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    JebusUD wrote: »

There isnt an amount for 1 ticket but there is an amount for buying all the tickets. And people have gotten investors to do so before.

These days the odds are such that buying all the tickets would be near impossible though

this was a problem we worked through in an undergrad polisci stats class

For Mega Millions it was 270M ish then, but since they've added the extra ball its probably 2-3 billion now to have EV >= 1

small lottos let you do this without so much of an initial capital needed, some West Virginia or wherever state or county lottos keep getting bought out by a syndicate of stats profs and they keep hitting

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    My work has gone full corp now after we got bought so it'll be 2.5-3% raises if you perform miracles from this point forward it looks like.

I'd like it to be above the yty inflation index but otherwise I've kind of accepted it for now. I'm pretty sure not my girlfriend makes more money than me so if all goes well eventually I'll just ask her to buy me things I can't afford.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »

Whenever it gets that high, there are international fund organizations that go around and buy out enough to win.
    Except at that level, the jackpot is usually split.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ha says I'm in the 13th percent for all my demographics, 11 overall. As always it would be great if I actually got to hang on to any of that money.

Sleep on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

yes. IIRC, 670,000,000

assuming a single winner, or allowing for multiple winning tickets

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Seriously I cannot possibly elucidate how infuriating it is that I'll have paid off a full fuckin mortgage by 35 with nothing to show for it but the ability to have paid off a full fuckin mortgage by 35.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Seriously I cannot possibly elucidate how infuriating it is that I'll have paid off a full fuckin mortgage by 35 with nothing to show for it but the ability to have paid off a full fuckin mortgage by 35.
    Student loans?

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I'm checking statistacs.

Overall, I'm in the 6th percentile.

In my demographic, I'm at the 40th percentile. Which just shows how easy the world makes it for highly educated white males.

Yeah putting in "advanced degree" drops me down like 15 percent, what a buzzkill. I guess it's because you don't actually need an advanced degree to do my job.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I'm like 50% (for now!) but MrsNub is like 5%

Aw yeah this kept man steez :bro:

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Zack Morris becoming governor sounds completely on-brand for him

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Do you not still own the house?

That seems like a thing to show for it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Yeah as a non-house owner that seems like a fuckin flex to me

• Options
    edited September 2019
    desc wrote: »

I just assumed they paid off their monster student loans.

Which is like paying off a full fuckin mortgage with nothing to show for it but the ability to have paid off a full fuckin mortgage.

zepherin on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Lookit what I got for cheap at the outlet:
    pki3oqbv2w3q.jpeg

For only the classiest of ladies at the Pirates’ Cove Brandy Lounge

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Student loans?

Yup doing the loose math I'll have paid about 280k by the time I'm done. Which back when the housing market here wasn't an over inflated shit show would have been about the target value for a decent starter home. It would build me a damn near palace out in buffalo.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I assumed sleep is referencing a debt that isn't secured to an item, hence why he was angry.

A large thing perpetual renters don't account for in their mental calculus for always be rentin' is what happens when your loan matures and you now own the house. That's a LARGE amount of money you no longer are paying per month, forever. "Well I can invest it" yeah but when you're 65 what about that piece of mind of no longer having a large substantial bill anymore? 30% of your income is just straight up gone every month, imagine having access to that again.

SSI doesn't feel like a whole lot until you realize most super old people never pay rent or mortgages, then it is.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, based on numerous conversations in Chat, I finally managed to open up a discussion about wages with my coworkers, and it turns out we are all about equal, but I'm getting paid a couple dollars less than someone who although he has a lot of work experience, absolutely none of it is relevant to the job we are doing, where I have seniority and a couple years experience in the field from a previous job. I'm hoping I'm up for a promotion this round anyways, but does anyone have suggestions for how to parlay this information into a bargaining chip, maybe without revealing that we all discussed how much we are paid, which is I think against work policy?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    It is crucial when looking at income to also consider all the other things in the picture — debt, property ownership, blah blah

Paycheck in a vacuum is not the whole scenario

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

I just assumed they paid off their monster student loans.

Which is like paying off a full fuckin mortgage with nothing to show for it but the ability to have paid off a full fuckin mortgage.

Ohhhhh sorry got it

This discussion has been closed.