As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still the Craftworld Avatar needs to be redone Ynnead makes it look old
    The Aspect warriors are getting redone {finally!}
    I still would like them to reopen the autarch's options it has in the index xenos book as the stuff in the craftworld is ok and sadly because you are stuck with the current model
    As was said they need to redo the falcon's turret
    I still would like a redo the guradian kit it's ok but needs a little help.
    It would be nice to have a female farseer

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    You shouldn’t need a soldering iron to connect anything. Just twisting the bare metal wires from switch to the led is fine, though to keep it secure I like using this rubber material wrapped around the wires that shrinks when heated.

Oh, that seems a lot easier. Can I do the same for connecting the switch and battery pack? I've been looking on amazon but the only battery packs I can find already connected to a switch look way too large.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Stragint wrote: »
    You shouldn’t need a soldering iron to connect anything. Just twisting the bare metal wires from switch to the led is fine, though to keep it secure I like using this rubber material wrapped around the wires that shrinks when heated.

Oh, that seems a lot easier. Can I do the same for connecting the switch and battery pack? I've been looking on amazon but the only battery packs I can find already connected to a switch look way too large.

Do you know the rating of the lights you are trying to do? As that is usually the power level you need so 12 volts with a 10 mA current LED works out to 860 OHM {Resistor = (12-3.4)/.010} kind of stuff
    It's easier than you think

So this is the formula to figure it out what voltage you need
    iuzlp4rc7hfh.png
    You need a reed switch so you can flick it on and off with a magnet if you want to do that
    https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-CR2016-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B00E0JRP8C/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lr44+battery+holder&qid=1571096389&sr=8-4
    Is the LR 44 aka the CR 2016 battery

Or you can do
    https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-CR2032-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B07B8BBH54/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2BZ7JTS7BMW4O&keywords=lr44+battery+holder+with+switch&qid=1571096431&sprefix=lr44+battery+holder+wi,aps,243&sr=8-24
    the CR 2032 with a on off switch

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Do you know the rating of the lights you are trying to do? As that is usually the power level you need so 12 volts with a 10 mA current LED works out to 860 OHM {Resistor = (12-3.4)/.010} kind of stuff

iuzlp4rc7hfh.png
    You need a reed switch so you can flick it on and off with a magnet if you want to do that
    https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-CR2016-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B00E0JRP8C/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lr44+battery+holder&qid=1571096389&sr=8-4

Or you can do
    https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-CR2032-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B07B8BBH54/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2BZ7JTS7BMW4O&keywords=lr44+battery+holder+with+switch&qid=1571096431&sprefix=lr44+battery+holder+wi,aps,243&sr=8-24

I'm gonna be using LED diodes that are 2.0 to 3.2v depending on the color.

The CR2032 should be more than enough but I'm still really tempted to see if a triple A battery will work so I can see if I can find a battery pack small enough to fit in the energy core area but I don't think I will.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options

iuzlp4rc7hfh.png

Or you can do

The CR2032 should be more than enough but I'm still really tempted to see if a triple A battery will work so I can see if I can find a battery pack small enough to fit in the energy core area but I don't think I will.

Cough the math problem will answer that question cough

• Options

iuzlp4rc7hfh.png

Or you can do

Cough the math problem will answer that question cough

Yea, if it isn't basic math I'm pretty hot garbage. Especially fractions and decimals.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I've been getting kinda tempted to get into 40k. Mostly to paint a few things as quiet time that isn't staring at a computer. What's a realistic entry cost given I have no paints or brushes or anything?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I've been getting kinda tempted to get into 40k. Mostly to paint a few things as quiet time that isn't staring at a computer. What's a realistic entry cost given I have no paints or brushes or anything?

20 to 100 depends on what you get
    You can get the old cheap paints [Apple barrel and such] that work as well the same goes for brushes. As for what models there is a wildly diverse so get something you find doable and appealing to you and go wild

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

You can play Kill Team, which is the specialized small squad format "cheaply". You can buy a pretty decent team for probably 50 bucks. Death Watch, Harlequin, Grey Knights, Necron, Custodes, and such can be pretty cheaply fielded.

You'd need to either buy the Kill Team box and manual or have a place that will lend both of those. Paint and other supplies don't cost a ton. I stick to the Games Workshop paints because the quality is solid and I know exactly what the color will be, they're like 6 bucks a pot but they go far. Glue is maybe 5, base coat spray was 18 but it lasts forever.

It plays similarly enough to the full 40k that learning the larger format would be easy and obviously you can reuse models.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    GW do some nice starter sets. (ignore the prices, these links are to the Aussie site)
    3 marines and some paint/brush
    there is also something like this....

If you have a buddy that wants to learn to play at the same time I can recommend something like First Strike or Know no Fear
    these have no paint but have a basic copy of the rules and all you need to play some smaller skirmishes. good for getting your feet wet into the gameplay side of things.
    The downside is both sets are Space Marine Vs DeathGuard which limits your options a little (both are pretty decent armies however)

of course this is all official GW stuff, you can get cheaper paint/brushes elsewhere.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'd suggest starting with some cheaper brushes depending on your experience. Turning them into frizzy messes is something that came naturally to me and it took a little time to learn the proper care and feeding. I probably would not have been happy if I'd been trashing expensive equipment.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would say no matter where you begin, you’re probably looking at $150 all in - that’s models, some rules, and some painting supplies.

Kill Team is definitely your best bang given how cheap a box and rulebook is.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

Amazon brushes are your friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Brushes-Detailing-Painting-Watercolor/dp/B01M7UFLP5/ Just bought these, their tips aren't as pointy as I'd like, but they are nice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG4QLWS/ Someone else suggested this earlier in the thread

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I legitimately don't understand why the custom Covens traits seem to be so fucking strong compared to all of the other custom traits we've seen. One of them restores D3 wounds (or D3 lost models if the attacking unit consists of single wound models) every time an enemy model is killed in melee. Another grants +1S and +1D to all shooting attacks, at the risk of possibly injuring yourself. How does that even compare to stuff like a slightly cheaper stratagem or a melee bonus for ranged units?

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I legitimately don't understand why the custom Covens traits seem to be so fucking strong compared to all of the other custom traits we've seen. One of them restores D3 wounds (or D3 lost models if the attacking unit consists of single wound models) every time an enemy model is killed in melee. Another grants +1S and +1D to all shooting attacks, at the risk of possibly injuring yourself. How does that even compare to stuff like a slightly cheaper stratagem or a melee bonus for ranged units?

Probably because those traits have to compete with The Prophets of Flesh which gives +1 to the invulnerable save as well as access to the vexator mask and Urien.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    So how about we remove the first overpowered trait rather than printing more ludicrous ones?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    So how about we remove the first overpowered trait rather than printing more ludicrous ones?

I dont understand

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So, Blood Ravens are a codex chapter.

Codex chapters typically use red helms for Sergeants, white for Vets, Vets and Lieuts get a combination.

How does that work with an already red chapter?

I've tossed together some of the Blood Ravens painting I've seen elsewhere, up here: https://imgur.com/a/m0uVkSO

I'm leaning towards Sergeants having a black helmet, Vets having a Bone helmet, Vet Sergants having a Black helmet with bone stripe, and Lieuts having a bone helmet with a black stripe, taking it from Paul Norton's over here:

Does anyone remember how the Dawn of War games handled it?

• Options
    I think its just red white and black with no visual distinction on sergeants

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Yeah. I was really hoping in Phoenix Rising for something like all Covens units getting the 4++ innately, a big points increase, and then the Prophets trait moving to something else considerably weaker to bring it in line with the other two. Just doubling down on Covens having some excessively strong traits is a pretty iffy choice.

• Options
    Just give them all whatever color helmets looks good and say theyre "recovered" blood raven relics

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I think its just red white and black with no visual distinction on sergeants

I think they had back banners
    scewget7x0dl.png
    But in da lore they do different color helms
    7wbm9uemgqeg.png

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Yeah. I was really hoping in Phoenix Rising for something like all Covens units getting the 4++ innately, a big points increase, and then the Prophets trait moving to something else considerably weaker to bring it in line with the other two. Just doubling down on Covens having some excessively strong traits is a pretty iffy choice.

Part of me was hoping for other things the various flavor of aeldari getting the custom chapter stuff is neat but I kind of forsee part it getting rolled back
    I was also hoping in vain for a smoother ynnari but that's a fool's errand. But generally for me it's a wait and see about the rest of the stuff

• Options
    DoW the sergeants never wear helmets from what I remember. Can't remember for DoW2 as all I've played of those recently are the DoW2 base campaign where all of the squad leaders are characters and some of the non-Blood Ravens Retribution campaigns where I was murdering stuff too fast to pay attention.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Helmets? Those are for mooks not leaders.

Also how you knew the apothecary or the tech marine would go bad. They wore helmets.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Also how you knew the apothecary or the tech marine would go bad. They wore helmets.

Although tbf the librarian didn't and he didn't even last one game without going bad.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Although tbf the librarian didn't and he didn't even last one game without going bad.

One should never touch the Warp.*

*All Blood Ravens are really Thousand Sons.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I need help with a KT elites Asartes list. I wanna try something with two heavy weapons but idk where to go otherwise or what kits Ill need to pick up.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of thousand sons those are what I'm really tempted to paint. Could you put together a workable kill team with just Rubric marines or would Tzaangors be needed too? (If the latter I'm assuming it's a case of may as well get the start collecting box.)

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I need help with a KT elites Asartes list. I wanna try something with two heavy weapons but idk where to go otherwise or what kits Ill need to pick up.

Devastator boxes are actually really well built out for kill team heavies.

Basically at least one of everything, sometimes 2.

GW's site actually lists the weapons in each box.

Tac Squad boxes have:
    There are 10 unique boltguns, a gravgun, a meltagun, a plasma gun, a flamer, a missile launcher (including backpack and spare missiles). The squad Sergeant can be armed with a combination of power fist, power sword or chainsword, and plasma pistol, grav pistol or bolt pistol. You can also make any 1 of the following combi-bolters – combi-grav, combi-melta, combi-plasma, or combi-flamer. The squad can also be armed with a melta bomb, a selection of combat knives, and enough Frag and Krak grenades to arm each Space Marine.

Dev squads have:
    Speaking of heavy weapons, the Devastator squad features an *incredible* array of the Imperium’s finest. Included in this squad:

Two Space Marine Grav-Cannon and Back Pack Assemblies;
    Two Space Marine Missile Launcher and Back Pack Assemblies;
    Two Space Marine Multi Melta and Back Pack Assemblies;
    Two Space Marine Lascannon and Back Pack Assemblies;
    Two Space Marine Plasma Cannon and Assemblies;
    Two Space Marine Heavy Bolter and Back Pack Assemblies;
    One each of Combi Plasma, Combi Melta, Combi Grav, Combi Flamer, Bolter and Storm Bolter;
    One each of Power Fist, Power Sword, Power Axe, Lightning Claw, Chainsword and Thunder Hammer;
    One each of Plasma pistol, Bolt pistol, Grav pistol.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Speaking of thousand sons those are what I'm really tempted to paint. Could you put together a workable kill team with just Rubric marines or would Tzaangors be needed too? (If the latter I'm assuming it's a case of may as well get the start collecting box.)

The basic box with the rubrics and the aspiring sorcerer is totally fine

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I got feirros to turn into a Space Wolves iron priest. I kind of want to switch out the heavy bolter for a hellfrost gun but I don't think there is an intermediate from the pistol to the cannon the Space Wolves venerable dreadnought comes with. Anyone know of one that I'm missing?

• Options
    Its more what to run with my two heavies that I get stuck on

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Heavy bolters, plasma cannons, and grav cannons are all pretty good I think.

Since most kill teams are low wound, low toughness models with just kind of okay saves lots of shots or high ap shots with d2-3 are good with how kill dice work.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    https://imgur.com/a/BIroQyq

Until I figure out the head bit, I think this is pretty good progress. Need to print some Blood Ravens transfers for his shoulderpads. I ain't trying to freehand that shit.

I think I'll go white or grey primer from now on, instead of black. Harder than hell to get these Citadel paints to stick.

• Options

Since most kill teams are low wound, low toughness models with just kind of okay saves lots of shots or high ap shots with d2-3 are good with how kill dice work.

Oh sorry to be clear idk what to spend my points on after my heavies

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Meat shields

• Options

Intercessors.

They are kind of amazing in kill team.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Intercessors.

They are kind of amazing in kill team.

Auxiliary grenade launcher is hilarious

• Options
    Which is why I thought to do a custom chapter for my primaris kill team for a laugh. But I also got the shadowspear so doing head swaps on some has been a lesson in kit bashing [as my chapter is loyal night lords gene stock so one of the quirks is they do not show their faces to let on any hints about the chapter other than it's actions}