As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So would most guns be serviceable if their skill was at level 5? Trying to figure out a minimum baseline to try to shoot for, going into singularity. I doubt I can swing having lvl 8 on everything and I suspect that might be overkill anyways. I just want to make sure I've got the 20 unites I'm using at the baseline to be serviceable.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Most abilities for Assault Rifles/Rifles are just +x% FP or +y% Rate, so yes, I think. There are a few exceptions (like G11's getting an extra shot at lvl 9, or Grape's thing) where the delta between one level and the next is higher, but the skill level is not really a factor in viability that I've noticed. Viability comes down to the specific doll, and linking level. I guess if you're looking for which dolls are more heavily influenced by skill level, I'd say that grenade dolls (mostly off tank SMGs) have a big part of their damage tied up in their skill.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Yeah, I know grenadier and Molotov chucking units rely on skill mostly for damage to those abilities, last I checked linking has zero impact.

It's also weird that one can mostly find recommendations for dolls & fairies that either have breakpoints, should be maxed out because their max skill is game making or need to hit a certain threshold to make them optimal for certain farms. It's kind of weird there isn't anything on a bare minimum; especially, when you then see people writting guides and veterans being like "you should train up skills." It's like "okay, but how much traing for the various roles is considered good enough?"

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I mean, if it doesn't have a breakpoint, it's just a sliding scale of good.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, if there's no breakpoint then it's generally 8 is considered good enough, since the investment to get enough advanced data for everyone is a fair bit higher.

There's no minimum given outside of breakpoints because they're just a general power increase, and level (well, enhancement), equipment level, and favor all affect that as well, so to realistically give an actual minimum you need to at least consider all of those.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I don't think that you can make hard and fast rules about how to upgrade your stuff, but here's my approach in descending order of importance.
    1. Prioritize getting units that have big breakpoints at high level skills as a priority. Stuff like G11's skill, parachute fairies, and illumination fairies. These units tend to be really strong and in the case of the fairies enable some plays that are otherwise impossible.
    2. Upgrade your vanguard. Your A-Teams. Your aces. Your Elite Guard. Whatever you want to call them. Until such a time that all of your echelons are awesome, you're going to have a handful that will be doing most of the heavy lifting. As I've said before, during ranking maps my best and brightest teams often danced around the maps and I'd often need to resupply them at least once a turn since they'd be taking down more than five enemies in one turn. Meanwhile my second line troops played defense and would only fight if the enemy happened to attack them during their turn. Try to at least get your ace teams upgraded as far as you can go with intermediate data. Consider going all the way to SL 10 for units that you know are top tier or are instrumental for a specific boss fight that you're prepping for. IMO Offensive skills should get priority over defensive ones, but at the end of the day the idea is that you are sparing no expense to setup an elite team that will be the tip of your spear and do all of the hard work. I say offensive skills are more important than defense since practicing your kiting has a more impactful boost to improving your SMG and HG tank's survivability in your average fight than maxing out their skill.
    3. Upgrade your efficient farmers if you want to take advantage of efficient grinding techniques. So for 0-2 dragging, you may upgrade SOPMOD or FAL. For Zas dragging you'll upgrade Zas. For 10-4E core farming you'll upgrade M4 mod3 or grape or whoever else can handle the hydras. You might upgrade CZ75 for a 5HG boss killer team if you're really keen on budgeting your basic resources during boss farming or rescue events. You can lump the command and rescue fairies in here too for the clear boost to XP gain and debatable boost to core income.
    4. Since basic data is so easy to come by and many skills grow at a linear rate, IMO every doll that you field should at least have a level 4 skill. That's as high as you can get it by purely spending basic data. I don't put any thought or analysis into that level of investment. If I've x5 linked the unit for use in combat for any reason, then I upgrade the skill to level 4. Granted I do have ~13k basic data in the bank from that month where I bought a lot of daily packages. Still, I've barely made a dent in that number despite not touching basic data sims since so much flows in from other sources like minor event rewards.
    5. Once you get this far down the list, you'll just mostly be dividing your time between upgrading your best units all the way to SL10 and upgrading your second line units until they start standing on equal footing with your aces.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Hm, this hasn't happened that I'm aware of before today but after I finished up the story I went back to dragging 0-2, only my draggers keep moving to position 1 instead of 4, even if I make sure they're both in 4 before swapping them.

If I move one of the corpses to position 1 and swap, it still places the swapped out dragger into position 1 in the empty echelon. What the heck.

• Options
    Yeah. I just want to have at template for those times where I have to get a whole team or more up and might be short on the data to train them. I know it'll become less of an issue as I get more teams online. Eventually, I'll just get stuff maxed and then it's not even a matter I need to be concerned with, well not until they either give that unit a mod or a speq. I've also observed since most dolls skills are a slider on value and you start to notice skill boosts once they get fully linked. That if I want to throw something into combat, I want to avoid having it run in with level 1 skills. Just if I don't have the data, where do I focus getting the next one leveled up to before moving on to training another unit.

BTW, for those that have tried CZ75 boss killing. How well does she work against Dreamer and the two bosses in AW? I'm thinking after singularity and building up a few echelons. That I might want to consider such a team for farming the limited drops of those for as little headache as possible. The resource savings is nice, but I'd like to go with something that make it easier to S rank, but just straight up deleting bosses before they can do anything that might cause enough damage to nix getting S rank.
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Hm, this hasn't happened that I'm aware of before today but after I finished up the story I went back to dragging 0-2, only my draggers keep moving to position 1 instead of 4, even if I make sure they're both in 4 before swapping them.

If I move one of the corpses to position 1 and swap, it still places the swapped out dragger into position 1 in the empty echelon. What the heck.

It's an unintended bug. For whatever reason, the game really wants to fill in certain spots now. The way I work around it, is have two dragged dolls occupy spots 1 & 7, while leaving position 4 open. This ensures when I switch my driver will always be in spot 4 and I can arrange any tile buffs that help them to be of use. I tried going for spot 5, but the game prioritizes filling position 2 over that.

• Options
    CZ75 in a 5HG team can win all those boss fights, but an equal investment in an AR/SMG team will kill the bosses just as well if not better in addition to being better for all around combat. The video of CZ75 deleting all of those higher level bosses isn't because you upgraded CZ75's skill. It's because you upgraded the entire echelon's skills and every single handgun pops her buff right as CZ75 is about to throw her axe.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    K11 is the exception to grenadiers not being affected by linking since unlike the others every one of her links fires a grenade

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, I know grenadier and Molotov chucking units rely on skill mostly for damage to those abilities, last I checked linking has zero impact.

AFAIK, linking is effectively a flat percentage increase to things like damage and hp. Going from link x4 to x5 is an increase of 25% to those values.

Edit: Due to others' responses, I'm beginning to think this isn't the case?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Mill wrote: »

AFAIK, linking is effectively a flat percentage increase to things like damage and hp. Going from link x4 to x5 is an increase of 25% to those values.

Edit: Due to others' responses, I'm beginning to think this isn't the case?

Yes and no. Linking doesn't increase damage per shot, but it does increase the number of units on the field shooting. So your x4 to x5 is correct in that it's a 25% increase in damage output since you increased the number of attacking units on the field by 25%. However we're talking about Grenadiers such as molotov SMGs like Vector. In the use cases where grenadiers are preferred over self buffing attackers, we value the damage from their AOE skill much more than the damage from their attacks. For almost all grenadiers, only a single link actually throws a grenade. So the AOE damage, which is the damage that we most care about, stays constant even if the doll has only a single link left standing.

Generally the cases where the AOEs are preferred are when you're faced with a huge swarm of enemies, in which case the AOE inflicting its damage in parallel can put out more DPS than regular attacks, or situations where the opposition has extremely high evasion stats since the AOE attacks ignore evasion. Often it's a mix of both scenarios, such as when you are faced with a large swarm of scouts.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular

I've heard the ranking will take awhile for this event, like 6 hours plus.

• Options
    Depends on how long you take planning your moves and if you frequently reset failed fights, but yeah it's really long. In deep dive I split up my run over a few days.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I finished 10-4E and ho boy, that was a ride. And one hell of a repair bill.

• Options
    Quick question, anyone know if there is somewhere that I can check to see what the furniture looks like the upcoming darkest dungeon gacha. Then another that might have the has images of the upcoming Christmas stuff (both costumes and furniture). I currently have 1k tokens, so can only do one of the two. I plan on doing one, since the influx of furniture will help with some things, but I'm willing to wait another month if I like more of the stuff out of the Christmas 2019 stuff than the Darkest Dungeon.

• Options
    The thing I'm looking forwards to is when I have all my bread and butter echelons up and running, so I can spend my time getting a lot of the weirder comps to work.

• Options
    How many combat reports is it to get from 100 to 115?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    From what I'm seeing on reddit, it looks like this event is the only one for a while where we'll be fielding so many ARSMG echelons. So probably another notch for it being the one to not seriously push for a high ranking in it. If one has to rush to get stuff online for it, given that means raising a ton of units that will likely be mostly used in logistics. Also looks like there will be a shift to HGRF echelons.

• Options
    I finally got a PK drop running 0-2 last night. Is she any good?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I finally got a PK drop running 0-2 last night. Is she any good?

PK is one of the Big 4 MGs in that she has a passive that is always on and therefore performs much more consistently/better than the other various types of MGs

so yes, she is one of the good MGs

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Mkay, I'll probably level her after Singularity to sub out LWWMG.

I kind of want to rush to Mod 3 M4, but I don't have enough memory fragments, so now I'm not sure if instead I should just go with Mod 2, and then also mod G36 or STAR-15...

Brody on

• Options
    We should be getting some new fragments as singularity prizes

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    This might be worth looking into.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/girlsfrontline/comments/dw2vgc/bitter_reunion_speed_run_event/
    Participation rewards.

I actually need to see if I have everything for this. Just need to see if I can retrieve my old youtube account or if I need to make a new one that doesn't have my real name attached to it. The participation prizes are pretty damn good since that's 30 tokens, 200 fragments, 300 intermediate data, 200 advance data and some other stuff that is good, but not super good (okay the reports will be handy for either jump starting new acquisitions or getting stuff closer to 90. The basic resources are resources and 2K is really nice, but I wouldn't bother participating if that was all that was offered).

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I was just playing and when I tried to start a mission the game kind of froze up and wouldn't recognize inputs. When I closed it and tried opening it, I've been getting what looks like an error message in tiny, tiny text when it starts loading up. Is there some way to fix this? Last time something like this happened to a mobile game I was playing I deleted it from my phone and wound up losing all my data because I never backed it up. I'd be very miffed if something like this happened here.

• Options
    I don't know about the error, but I believe the data is tied to the account you log in with ( google, Facebook, or their own ) so you should be able to recover it, but I would ask support before you try.

• Options
    Unless you're using a guest account, in which case your account ID info is all local.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I was just playing and when I tried to start a mission the game kind of froze up and wouldn't recognize inputs. When I closed it and tried opening it, I've been getting what looks like an error message in tiny, tiny text when it starts loading up. Is there some way to fix this? Last time something like this happened to a mobile game I was playing I deleted it from my phone and wound up losing all my data because I never backed it up. I'd be very miffed if something like this happened here.

@Grimthwacker
    It's probably unnecessary to @ you since the thread hasn't moved much, but I wanted to make sure that you see this point. If you are using a guest account then do not re-install or else you'll run into the problems that you fear.

If you've linked your account to a Sunborn ID, then you should be fine reinstalling. It should be the same if you are logging in via your Google account or Facebook. Try logging in on another device or via an emulated device on a pc.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Hades wrote: »

The scoring here is interesting. Kinda the opposite of EN's deep dive.

There was a bug in the code when EN got deep dive. A future ranking event, Isomer IIRC, has a mechanic where you would get bonus points for each untapped supply node that was under your control. Deep Dive wasn't supposed to have that mechanic, but it slipped into our client by mistake. So a core theme of high score ranking was never ever tapping the supply nodes. But this time we'll need to tap as many as possible.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    For those that have completed the second chapter of cube+. Does that drop the same set of limited drops that 1-4 Cube+ has or is it completely different. I figure I should ask, since I've started grinding that chapter for my weekly armor unit kills. It does take like 20+ runs it seems, but I can knock out the boss kills, both sets of armor hunter weeklies, farm for limited drops I don't have and the core gain isn't too bad (not sure it's much better than some of the options). I ask because there is overlap on the units dropped. For instance 1-2 cube+'s drops also drop in 1-3 cube+ and 1-4 cube+. 1-4 cube+ is the only one that has unique drops from the other two chapters, while including all the limited drops from the other two chapters. So for farming, it makes sense to start in chapter 1-4 cube+ to get the two drops that only show up there (managed to get one today, so only need the other) and drop down to the next chapter once I get those two, until all that is left to farm drops in the earliest chapter.

• Options
    It's the same limited drops.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
  • Options
    That contender costume is so baller.

• Options
    Finally sucked it up and got through Chapter 9 and 10 over the last few days, its nice to do story stages in short enough succession (and in order) that I can follow the story and be up to date for Singularity. :) I definitely felt a couple times likes I was cheating using the Parachute fairy, especially during the one map to rescue dolls, and using the parachute fairy to avoid having to fight Judge. I'm still have a lot of night missions, and chapter 2 of cube+ to do, but those are I don't think very high priority right now.

I've been grinding a bit (been autobattling 7-1 like constantly) during the +xp week, so, as expected, I'm getting a lot of dolls up to levels where I can link them to 4 or 5, but I'm eyeing my cores dropping rather precipitously. Right now my teams are looking like (* still at x4 linking, ** still at x3):

AR/SMG 1
    Z-62, C-MS
    SOPMOD II, M4A1, ST AR-15

AR/SMG 2
    Vector*, RO635*
    Gr G11*, Ribeyrolles, Zas M21

RF/HG 1
    Px4 Storm, Welrod
    M14, Five-seven, WA2000

RF/HG 2
    PPK, M950A
    SVD, Grizzly, Gr G28*

MG/SG
    Am KSG*
    K5*
    PK**, LWMMG*, Gr MG5**

Other notable units (at least lvl 50):
    M200*, Makarov, Contender*, SAA*, Grape**, Skorpion, TAR-21, Groza, UMP45, 9A-91, P90*, G41**, AUG**, MDR**, C-MS*

The MG/SG group obviously needs the most work, so I'll definitely wait on putting more cores/combat reports into them to see exactly how important having an MG/SG echelon is. Any feed back about replacements/priorities/suggestions in general, is greatly appreciated!

• Options
    Finally sucked it up and got through Chapter 9 and 10 over the last few days, its nice to do story stages in short enough succession (and in order) that I can follow the story and be up to date for Singularity. :) I definitely felt a couple times likes I was cheating using the Parachute fairy, especially during the one map to rescue dolls, and using the parachute fairy to avoid having to fight Judge. I'm still have a lot of night missions, and chapter 2 of cube+ to do, but those are I don't think very high priority right now.

I've been grinding a bit (been autobattling 7-1 like constantly) during the +xp week, so, as expected, I'm getting a lot of dolls up to levels where I can link them to 4 or 5, but I'm eyeing my cores dropping rather precipitously. Right now my teams are looking like (* still at x4 linking, ** still at x3):

AR/SMG 1
    Z-62, C-MS
    SOPMOD II, M4A1, ST AR-15

AR/SMG 2
    Vector*, RO635*
    Gr G11*, Ribeyrolles, Zas M21

RF/HG 1
    Px4 Storm, Welrod
    M14, Five-seven, WA2000

RF/HG 2
    PPK, M950A
    SVD, Grizzly, Gr G28*

MG/SG
    Am KSG*
    K5*
    PK**, LWMMG*, Gr MG5**

Other notable units (at least lvl 50):
    M200*, Makarov, Contender*, SAA*, Grape**, Skorpion, TAR-21, Groza, UMP45, 9A-91, P90*, G41**, AUG**, MDR**, C-MS*

The MG/SG group obviously needs the most work, so I'll definitely wait on putting more cores/combat reports into them to see exactly how important having an MG/SG echelon is. Any feed back about replacements/priorities/suggestions in general, is greatly appreciated!

Off the top of my head, shuffle those rifles around so that SVD is paired with wa2k and m14 is paired with g28. The former are rate of fire boosting rifles and the later firepower boosting rifles. Pair them together to avoid synergy conflicts from their desired buffs.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Am I better pushing for Mod3ing one doll first, or taking all of M4A1, STAR, and G36 (maybe also M14) to Mod1/2 first.

Edit: Also, when do we get the Hydra T-Doll?

Brody on

• Options
    imo it would probably be most cost effective to get any tdolls you can to mod 2 first before thinking about mod 3

mod 3 gives the SPEQ and some additional stat bumps which vary from doll to doll but keep in mind SPEQs take triple the resource/fodder cost to max out - while this is easier to push through with the addition of universal parts it's still not cheap per se. then again, m4a1 and STAR have very good SPEQs....

but of course, if you want to unlock that sweet sweet mod art then mod 3 is the only way to go

• Options
    I finished my Mod 3 M14 earlier today, and the art is worth it.