As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question on unlocked phones

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited November 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm interested in getting a new phone, most likely one of the OnePlus 7 variants. However, I'm considering moving from T-Mobile to Verizon in the somewhat distant future.

Problem is, Google won't tell me if an unlocked 7 phone will be able to switch between the two.

Anyone have light they can shed on this?

Magus` on

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Possibly. Verizon's BYOD page has options for the 7T UNL and Pro, and both are listed on their unlocked smartphones page.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    But would it work on T-Mobile? They have their own version so I don't know how that works out.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    But would it work on T-Mobile? They have their own version so I don't know how that works out.
    I'm not really familiar with T-Mobiles network, but this site lists HD1905 (7T Unlocked) and HD1907 (T-Mobile) as supporting LTE band 71. Your best bet would be to see if anyone with an unlocked 7T could check their IMEI on T-Mobiles BYOD page.

As far as I can tell, the only thing you'd lose on T-Mobile with an unlocked 7T is the ability to roam on the US Cellular network. The T-Mobile model has a different TAC number (part of the IMEI) which they use to whitelist phones for roaming on USC. I believe that applies to any unlocked device you bring to their network, but I could be wrong.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Most of the newer phones will work on any of the major carriers these days. For what it's worth I have a OP3t on tmobile with 0 issues

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Typically phones are only locked to carrier during the initial 60 days or, not at all. The only other time you'd be unable to unlock the phone is if the carrier itself is locking the phone because you owe money on it via billing installments or a lease. For instance iPhones come in two versions, "Unactivated" and "Unlocked." The Unactivated one is platform agnostic, it'll work on Verizon/Sprint/ATT/T-Mobile and even some of the prepaid lines. If you stick a sim in there, it locks to that carrier for 60 days. You can call the carrier and ask them to unlock it for you if you're not sure if it's locked to the network. If the phone is paid off, they usually don't care what you do. The tricky thing is prepaid versions of those phones, which usually don't or can't be transferred.

So you're probably fine with most mid-range Androids, and when in doubt just call the carrier and ask. You can give them the model number mentioned above and see if they know if it's supported. To make it simple, I'd just buy the unlocked version and it should work no matter what.

• Options
    Neither OnePlus or T-Mobile were sure but it looked like probably? It has a 14 day return policy so we'll find out.

• Options
    Got the phone and it works great. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.