As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

19596979899101»

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pistol whip doesn’t get good until normal. Easy isn’t very engaging.

Look, I'm one of those guys who does, in fact, read the manual.

A quick stroll through Easy showed me the basics of what is being sent my way, but yeah, Normal does kick it up a fun notch.

Though it also reminded me that I have a longer reach than I might normally imagine (being 6'3" and all), and the tv isn't *that* far away...

Luckily, it's only cosmetic and doesn't seem to hinder performance, but another inch forward and... well... let's just say that despite the name, I'll probably stick to shooting pretty much everything. Yeah yeah, dangers of playing in a condo, I got a little lost in the game for a bit. >.>

As my second VR title, and first that requires any substantial movement, it's engaging for me. :-P

It's a fun John Wick simulator, but I don't foresee myself putting endless hours into this one the same way I can find myself coming out of a Beat Saber session, drenched and in dire need of water and holy shit when did it get to 1am?!

Currently eyeing Vader Immortal and The Climb. I love Star Wars and have heard VI is pretty good, and I have a fear of heights so why not work on that as well?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »
    I posted in the holidays forum that I got a PSVR bundle for Christmas, and It Is Good. My first foray into VR and honestly I can see it being a much bigger jump than PS4 to PS5 will be.

I did not get Move controllers in the bundle, and now I'm trying to find them and they are sold out pretty much everywhere. I still have plenty of stuff to play with the standard dualshock controller (working through Astrobot, plus got a bunch of demos, VR Worlds, not brave enough for RE7 yet) but it'd be nice to have more options.
    @McFodder Definitely pick up the 'Blood & Truth' demo if you haven't already, it works pretty well with just the standard DS4, until you can find some Move controllers.
    (Actually you might as well browse the store and just grab all of the PSVR demos, they're all listed under one section.) :)

Thanks! I'd played 'The London Heist' which I understand inspired Blood and Truth but it wasn't showing up under the demos when I looked. Have already played through some of the others like The Last Guardian.

I'll also have move controllers as of this afternoon so have downloaded Beat Saber in anticipation :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Well, shiet. Guess I'll have to go with a Vive since I can't even reserve an index.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If you can get one used at a good price maybe. I made a hubub about how I'm a fan of outside-in tracking, but if index is off the table for whatever reason then you may very well be better off with grabbing one of the windows mixed reality headsets or one of the occulus offerings. The original vive is showing its age in its display, and the vive pro has a lot of baggage attached to it like HTC's terrible customer support combined with it arguably being worse than the Index while in the same price tier.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I think the Vive is discontinued. The HTC Vive site says it's out of stock, but even when they're in stock apparently they're selling refurbs (for the same price as a new Rift S).

HTC has the Cosmos and the Vive Pro currently in stock, but their prices make them almost impossible to recommend. HTC announced a $100 discount on the Cosmos this week, and even with that I'd have to say no. The only way I could recommend the Vive Pro in good conscience is if you have like $2000 to spend on this (headset + base stations + Index controllers + wireless adapter, maybe +deluxe audio strap), and you're one of the people for whom wireless VR is a revelatory experience. Otherwise it's just too much money for too little product.

Back to the Odyssey+, Amazon has it for $305 through one of their affiliated retailers. I think that's the best value you can get on a headset right now if Oculus is off the table and you can't wait until February. Maybe a PSVR if you have a PS4?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'd honestly rather go without VR for a while than buy a Vive over an Index, if you have ruled out the Rift S.

The few months (at worst) you may have to wait for an Index will pass quickly. the years you're stuck with an inferior headset will pass slowly.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Regarding pistol whip and fun, I enjoy it even without going for high scores but most of the score chasing is done through:

Accuracy - how close you were when sitting.
    Beat - if you shoot "on" the beat.

The whole level is based around the beat, the flashes on the floor give a pretty visual guide if, like me, you have zero rhythm. It gets me started, after that the flow kicks in.

It's very different to beat saber but as a fan of light gun games, I love it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Concerning Vader Immortal: It's okay, I guess. Take away the Star Wars factor and it's entirely nothingy, as far as I'm concerned. Which is a shame, because the same game executed at the level of a Lone Echo could've been pretty great, but as it is, it's clunky and creaky, but yes, it's cool to be standing face to face with Vader, even if he looks like he could stand to lose a few pounds.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Have you tried the dojo? Because that's easily where I've had the most fun and the 'meat' of the game is. It gets extremely tough and challenging, and I hear the dojos for parts 2 and 3 (not had chance to try yet) really ramp things up.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Concerning Vader Immortal: It's okay, I guess. Take away the Star Wars factor and it's entirely nothingy, as far as I'm concerned.

This is true, but I also think it's not fair to take away the Star Wars factor, because that factor is present and you can't just dismiss the value it adds. I agree there's a feeling of what-if but it's more than worth the price of admission even if you play it once and don't touch it again.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Sure, but it won't be there for everyone. If someone's a moderate Star Wars fan only, it's well possible that the jankiness of the game won't make up for the "Ooh, it's Darth Vader!" factor, especially since other than Vader and the Imperials in the game, the aesthetic is decidedly more Prequels than OT. Added to which, I think there's not much of an excuse for the game not having better polish than it has, especially in terms of your interaction with the world. Like many middling to bad Star Wars games, it very much feels like they could half-ass this because, after all, fans will buy and play it regardless. At this point in time, I find this somewhat insulting.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Pretty amusing that one of the new and trending games on Steam is a VR stripclub.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Pretty amusing that one of the new and trending games on Steam is a VR stripclub.

Oh it's...a thing. One of the top selling VR games on Steam in 2018 was "VR Kanojo". I'll ahh, let you do your own research.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Honestly, while I have little inclination to do either, a VR stripclub seems infinitely more appealing than a real one.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Sure, but it won't be there for everyone. If someone's a moderate Star Wars fan only, it's well possible that the jankiness of the game won't make up for the "Ooh, it's Darth Vader!" factor, especially since other than Vader and the Imperials in the game, the aesthetic is decidedly more Prequels than OT. Added to which, I think there's not much of an excuse for the game not having better polish than it has, especially in terms of your interaction with the world. Like many middling to bad Star Wars games, it very much feels like they could half-ass this because, after all, fans will buy and play it regardless. At this point in time, I find this somewhat insulting.

The Star Wars background worked against it for me near the end. My interest nosedived after
    I heard Vader moping about Padme. Just, ugh, I'm done.

I thought Arkham VR was a more interesting game in a similar vein with better story, use of VR, and application of its licensed property, in my opinion, but for some reason that seems to be much less well received.

• Options
    I'd agree with you on that one, Orogogus. Arkham VR wasn't much more interactive, but it had more polish, the production values were better, and all of this in a VR game that came out, what, two years before Vader Immortal? If the latter had had the same level of polish as the former, I wouldn't be so negative, but as it is, it's difficult for me not to look at Vader Immortal and think that it could be so much better even at what it largely is, namely interactive VR fan service. If it had come out at the very beginning of this generation of VR, I'd be much more forgiving, but as it is, you need to bring a lot of Star Wars fandom to the table. To be honest, I think I feel more like a Jedi (or Sith) when playing Beat Saber.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    On top of Pistol Whip, I also grabbed Episode 1 of Vader Immortal. I agree with it being okay. The climbing was okay, the combat wasn't really doing it for me, but I think part of that was choosing to use teleport to move. I don't know if the other locomotion options help, but the final fight was kind of annoying. I also found that I felt like I was straining my eyes more on that one than Beat Saber or Pistol Whip. I completed the (fairly short) campaign, ran through a half dozen dojo maps, and backed out before I felt anything too rough, having heeded this thread's advice about listening to ones feelings and instincts with VR.

I'll give it another whirl with a different movement style and see if that helps. I could see picking up the later episodes eventually, but I can't say that E1 really fired me up to get 2 and 3 anytime soon. On a sale, sure. $25 Canadian for the pair? Nah. $10 or so for both? Okay sure, that's a no-brainer.

I also snagged The Climb, which I haven't tried yet, and probably won't until tomorrow or later this week, but that should be interesting.

Forar on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Why the fuck do VR developers somehow forget about the concept of remapping your controls? It's especially annoying playing games that were made before the Valve Index and none of these controls are designed for the new Index controllers. Bleh.

Played some Doom VFR and promptly regretted buying Doom VFR. Part of that is due to the aforementioned controller issue (gotta love it when you can accidentally push enemies away from you when you try to telefrag them, knocking them out of the stunned state), part of it is due to it being kinda wonky (lack of controller turning sucks, grabbing stuff or throwing grenades feels terrible) and part of it is due to the shooting feeling like garbage. Even if I ignore them reusing levels from Doom 2016, this is blatantly a game that does not need to be in VR. It makes the combat feel worse, none of the motion control interactions are particularly interesting or fun, and the general slow pace of the previous two things run incredibly counter to the raging doom music in the back ground. Like, it's the silliest thing ever when you hear BFG Division playing, but what's happening on screen is me fumbling with my weapons and teleporting as a handful of zombies slowly shamble around.

About the only good part of this game is the art gallery you come across that lets you get up close to the demon models, which is both cool (The cacodemon is so much bigger than I imagined.) and horrifying (they did a really good job on the gore on the zombies. Probably too good of a job. :))

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    You can remap the controls for any game in the SteamVR overlay.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    u6efb025j59d.png

can definitely see the Index's impact from Alyx, as well as the ludicrously cheap Rift S price from Black Friday

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    So you're telling me VR is dying

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    No but this thread is!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I'm a novice to the field so I won't be making one, but yeah, 101 pages? Time for that new thread smell I guess.

So, The Climb took a bit of getting used to. It's a neat experience, though I find the 'jump to a ledge' mechanics fiddly and a bit annoying when I have to do it 3 or 4 times to get it right (yeah yeah, I'll get better in time, it just feels like a REALLY narrow windowed QTE right now).

Given that they represent checkpoints with belay rope carabiners, it'd be nice if missing a jump involved falling like 10 feet and swinging a bit, rather than the 50+ foot plummet you see instead. Maybe that didn't play well with people's motion sickness, but falling 4'ish times in a row doesn't ingratiate that view much either.

Not quite the frenetic pace of Pistol Whip, or the hardcore workout that higher difficulty Beat Saber is, but a nice almost yoga/tai chi series of reaching and stretching and holding that I could see being good to have in the mix.

• Options
      KarozKaroz Registered User regular
      Did some Star Trek Bridge crew with our faithful captain @Blackhawk1313 , trusty 2D engineer @cooljammer00 (you can play the VR with non-VR folks fine though there was some Uplay wonkiness) and I, gun-dude Karoz.

It was damn good.

I don't have the best nostalgia for Star Trek but its execution is just perfect.

• Options
      KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    This discussion has been closed.