As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Torchlight 3] Out now on Steam!

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    OP has been updated. Torchlight frontiers is now Torchlight 3 and is no longer an MMO.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Not entirely sure what it means for it not to be an "MMO" anymore, I guess it's open to interpretation. Hopefully they still intend to do ongoing content development and don't treat it as a one-and-done. There's a big difference between a Torchlight 2 and a Path of Exile in terms of support, but neither is an MMO.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    They're reverting back to the old design (of Torchlights 1 and 2) where you can play it offline or join a lobby with friends. There's no shared online world. Also in the PC Gamer article they say it'll be a one-and-done purchase, with microtransactions specifically being removed.

And Path of Exile is absolutely an MMO.

reVerse on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I was wondering why PlayTorchlight's Discord had 700+ posts in the #torchlight-iii channel... and why it was called #torchlight-iii now.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Huh, they said specifically there IS still a shared online world, similar to Path of Exile:
    Most zones are now private by default to give a better play experience. Players can still meet each other in public town levels and form parties to play together in instanced combat zones.
    When creating your character, you can now select Online or Offline Mode. Characters made in Offline Mode do not require an internet connection to play, but will also not be able to participate in multiplayer games.

ie, the "town" areas you can absolutely run into other random people but once you leave it's just you and your group.

Interesting change though, I thought Frontiers was a neat concept but felt a little lacking and was hoping it would pan out. Turns out they figured it didn't and now we get TL3 so uhh, I'm certainly not going to complain. I just wonder how different it's going to be compared to the last time I tried TLF, I guess I'll find out on Wednesday!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As this is no longer an MMO, I’ve moved it to G&T proper.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    good! I loved torchlight 1 tho 2 left me cold so shall check this out

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yay! This is exciting news!

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Update 10 notes.

- New class: Sharpshooter. "Precision" skill tree uses Ammo charges to strike enemies from afar. "Adventurer" skills utilize artifacts to keep the fight anything but fair. Unique bow weapons for enhanced ranged power.
    - New frontier: Echonok. Navigate craggy peaks and cast down the halls of the ancient Dwarven Architects as you battle Voltura scavengers and the ever-present Netherim menace.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Update 10 notes.

- New class: Sharpshooter. "Precision" skill tree uses Ammo charges to strike enemies from afar. "Adventurer" skills utilize artifacts to keep the fight anything but fair. Unique bow weapons for enhanced ranged power.
    - New frontier: Echonok. Navigate craggy peaks and cast down the halls of the ancient Dwarven Architects as you battle Voltura scavengers and the ever-present Netherim menace.

If they use ammo like FF14's old Machinist I will be happy. I missed that in the rework, slamming in some ammo for a bigger shot.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh... I was really looking forward to a new MMO.

Despite minor disappointment, I'll gladly accept a new regular Torchlight game. Shut up and take my money!

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    My main concern with the change is that a one-and-done business model means less incentive for continued content development, sort of like what happened with D3. I'd like a game with a more active lifecycle than that. They could do expansions of course, but they've never gone that route before.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    TL/2's history has had far, far less continued support than D3. This will be fine as a budget purchase but I have zero faith in it becoming a "big", long-term contender, and this feels more like making the best of abject failure in player retention. The lack of dedicated servers alone will extremely restrict the longevity of public multiplayer.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Welp. Steam keys are supposed to be going out today to those who already were in the Arc Launcher alpha.

...The system broke. So if you're still waiting on a key, hang tight.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    TL/2's history has had far, far less continued support than D3. This will be fine as a budget purchase but I have zero faith in it becoming a "big", long-term contender, and this feels more like making the best of abject failure in player retention. The lack of dedicated servers alone will extremely restrict the longevity of public multiplayer.

Never letting me in the alpha was abject failure in player retention :i

• Options

Ironically this is a good thing to me. I don't want the carrot on the stick development and releases until the day I die. I want to have a tight gameplay loop that keeps me entertained for a short period of time and that I can comfortably put down and walk away satisfied with my time.

• Options
    One hour before the Steam alpha goes live and folks on the Discord are finally starting to get their mails.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    wd3jcipkh2lg.png

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    For some reason my steam key hasn't shown up in my mail box yet.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Roe wrote: »
    For some reason my steam key hasn't shown up in my mail box yet.

Their send keeps breaking, most people are still waiting on their keys unfortunately.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    All emails should be out now, if you didn't receive one you'll need to open a support ticket through your Arc account. I didn't receive mine and it sounds like plenty of people didn't so I submitted one myself.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Got one in my mail today and just downloaded alpha. I think there has been a lot of people wanting to play the game thanks to the NDA being put back in place compared to back when frontiers was live.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Finally got my key mail. It's good to be back!

...Though I'm gonna have to get used to not having Cyclone on my Forged anymore. It was so useful!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Torchlight 3 is now in Beta. OP has been updated.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    how do i know if signed up for the beta? Can't really see much in the interface to reflect that

• Options
    edited June 2020
    OP updated. Closed beta has ended.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Those monsters never invited me to the closed beta :sad:

Any word if/when they plan for an open beta? I mean, I'm a sucker for aRPGs so i'll probably buy it day one regardless but still it would be fun to get a sense of how the game is before December.

• Options
    No word yet, they were going to have an announcement during the PC Gaming Show that was supposed to happen tomorrow, however, it has been delayed until 6/13. It has been strongly hinted that they'll be revealing the next stage of everything then!

• Options
    Early Access is live now! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030210/Torchlight_III/
    Why Early Access?
    “Community is extremely important to Echtra Games and we believe Early Access is a unique opportunity to learn from our players what changes are the most important to them before proceeding to fully launch the game later this year.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
    “While we do not have an exact date for launch, Early Access will last at least a few months while we refine the game further and add new features and end game content.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
    “The full version will contain a complete Act 3, which will be released and tested by the community during Early Access. A new, not-yet-announced end game experience will also be released during Early Access so that it can be thoroughly tested by the community before its inclusion into the full version. The full version will also contain the ability to play the game in Single Player mode, which will not require an internet connection.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
    “Early Access will begin with 4 playable classes, 2 complete Acts, dozens of quests, a player-created custom Fort feature (complete with enchanting, resource refining, and storage), over 100 Legendary items, and a myriad of weapons, areas, and boss battles.

Early Access is only available in Multiplayer mode. Players will be able to play in groups of four and share certain public spaces in the game (like towns) with other players - up to 40 per instance.

During Early Access we will unlock additional content, including the entirety of Act 3, a new end game experience, and other quality-of-life updates and feature improvements. There are some known bugs, but most reported issues do not prevent fully playing the game and will be part of where our focus lies in Early Access.

What is the ESRB of this game? How family friendly is this game?
    The game is rated T for Teen. There are options to turn off voice chat and blood FX in the settings menu.

Will there be a wipe?
    Yes. At the end of Early Access there will be a wipe so that we can continue to aggressively test new features and bug fixes. Players who purchase the Early Access version will retain their copy of the game - this will be an account/character wipe only.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
    “Players in Early Access will have the opportunity to purchase the retail copy of the game for less than those who purchase it on its launch day.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
    “Our team at Echtra is dedicated to involving our community throughout Early Access and beyond. Community has already been critical during our Closed Beta process and we will continue to improve upon the activities we have currently established.

Our developer-community activities include:

● Regular review and updates to our feedback and bug reporting site @ https://tl3feedback.echtragames.com
    ● Development chat and playtesting sessions with Torchlight 3 / Echtra Game Designers in our Discord @ https://discordapp.com/invite/playtorchlight
    ● Community Challenges to create in-game content like new Legendary affixes.
    ● Regular Friday Twitch streams that include development chats, interviews, and exclusive development footage.
    ● Regular activity in Steam, Discord, Reddit, and other areas where the Torchlight III community congregates.
    ● Consistent patch notes with each update and announcements for new features.
    ● Developer-community events like Reddit AMA’s, interviews, and Q&A’s.
    ● Releasing a Fan Kit for community created tools/sites/wikis.
    ● Keeping an updated public roadmap with information pertaining to development activities.”

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’m stuck at work for 11 hours. So excited it’s on early access. GET as soon as I home.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Holy shit out of nowhere? Usually hate Early Access for games of this type, but totally down after playing Torchlight II on PS4.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Servers seem busted right now, as is traditional for every ARPG launch.

Zek on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wait what, if I bought this early access I have to pay again for a retail release and deal with an account wipe? That's a fucking yikes probably going to refund that purchase.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wait what, if I bought this early access I have to pay again for a retail release and deal with an account wipe? That's a fucking yikes probably going to refund that purchase.

...No? Why would you need to buy it twice?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Straight from the FAQ:
    “Players in Early Access will have the opportunity to purchase the retail copy of the game for less than those who purchase it on its launch day.”

Which would indicate that "early access" is really just buying beta access, after which you'll need to purchase the game.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I would guess it means that the early access version is going to cost less than the full release, it's just not worded in the best way.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Straight from the FAQ:

Which would indicate that "early access" is really just buying beta access, after which you'll need to purchase the game.

Yeah I submitted my refund request. The server issues, combined with just a missing feeling when I was playing. Its hard to say but like I've played Minecraft dungeons scratched that itch, I play diablo 3 or PoE itch scratched. This? Felt really kind of blah, just the combat wasn't there for me.

And the prospect of an account wipe and repurchase is double hard pass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah I assume that if the retail game is $60 and the early access is $20 then you would just pay $40 for the retail.

Still a shitty deal though. Especially with a wipe.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Straight from the FAQ:

Except right below that:
    Players who have purchased the Early Access version will not have to purchase the game again at launch.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Yeah, all that message is indicating is that the price will increase after early access, which is fairly normal. Maybe it's worded badly? But no, you shouldn't have to buy it again.

There is, however, an account wipe at the end of all this which kind of sucks. But to be honest the game is in mostly the same state it was at the end of the closed beta. Which is to say it still has a long way to go, imo. It's fun but can be pretty rough. With them planning to wipe accounts I feel like they can try out some bolder changes and aren't fully locked into current systems, some of which could use with another iteration or two.