As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    We did. Won the match, too.

Edit: They played Orisa with us on Paris defense and I think it was a full hold on Point A?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    First homestands (Dallas, New York) are this week. OWL is back.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    We get to start seeing how ludicrous or perfect the various power rankings are. Will Fissure continue to be unreliable and bring about the downfall of the Titans? Will Fusion finally live up to their potential? Will Boston surprise everyone like they did 2 years ago?
    lolno to that last one

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Everyone hypes up Philly every year and they never completely shit the bed but they also never play like everyone expects them too. Fury and Alarm are great pickups but unless Sado can just play Winston or EQO and Carpe remember how to play the game, then I think they're just a mediocre, fringe playoff team.

• Options
    Philly's faith in Sado is bizarre. He's never been impressive.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've always been pretty low on Sado, but if role queue and now hero pools combine with the recent tank nerfs to make the meta more pliable and DPS pop-off moments more likely, that's definitely a point in Philly's favor.

Not that it suddenly makes them top-tier, but I think it gives them the chance to win some games they would have lost last year, without making them much more likely to lose games they would have won, if that makes sense.

@miscellaneousinsanity me too! sub games are always a blast and these ones definitely didn't disappoint. someday i'll pay enough attention to actually sign up myself for once.

• Options
    Some good moments from the last few days.

https://youtu.be/kjWfrlOYjLk

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I like how there are 2 Canadian teams in OWL, and Canada constantly top 3's the worlds, but the only Canadian items in game is a single Profile pic of the flag and a 'Sorry sorry sorry sorry" voiceline? ( Go ahead, tell me that voice line isn't Canadian)

GIMME SOME CANADIAN SKINS YOU COWARDS

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

https://youtu.be/kjWfrlOYjLk

So a few things:

1) My goof as Dva was basically due to me misjudging the boost/my monitor having frame rate issues right as I start boosting.

2) Because your Tracer play has now been shown, it's no longer "aspirational," right @Baidol?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I like how there are 2 Canadian teams in OWL, and Canada constantly top 3's the worlds, but the only Canadian items in game is a single Profile pic of the flag and a 'Sorry sorry sorry sorry" voiceline? ( Go ahead, tell me that voice line isn't Canadian)

While I mostly agree with you, you are missing one very important, very Canadian item.
    wg735pfwzz6o.png

What could possibly be more Canadian than a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ball is an EU top 500 Wrecking Ball one-trick and he's pretty dang crazy. It's really cool how much depth on heroes can keep getting discovered well after their release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isluzTC89Ug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFuh_jwBZU

This one seems like a trick I might actually be able to pull off with practice...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmkZQdAmyU

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Does the PA PC crew still run around 8:30-9 Pacific? I'd like to play some OW again. Seeing the Outlaws at South and the imminent new season of OWL got me hankering and my normal IRL crew hasn't really played since the HK thing/Destiny 2 Shadowkeep dropped.
    Probably can't go more than a few matches due to time zone difference.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, I'm typically on at 10 PM Mountain as is most of the PA crew although tonight I might be doing other things.
    Kana wrote: »
    This one seems like a trick I might actually be able to pull off with practice...

Oh no

Baidol on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    have blizzard said how folks are to accumulate owl tokens now that they’re on youtube?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    YouTube can do drops as well, I think.

• Options
    I think they're working on it. YouTube can do drops but in a different way than what Twitch was capable of.

• Options

So a few things:

1) My goof as Dva was basically due to me misjudging the boost/my monitor having frame rate issues right as I start boosting.

2) Because your Tracer play has now been shown, it's no longer "aspirational," right Baidol?

Ehhhhhhh most of those kills were just finishing weakened players.

• Options

So a few things:

2) Because your Tracer play has now been shown, it's no longer "aspirational," right Baidol?

Ehhhhhhh most of those kills were just finishing weakened players.

That's like 90% of your job as Tracer though.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    haven't gotten to play too much between preparing/running subgames and work, but here's a game with some of the other harbleu mods from last week

https://youtu.be/4lZEvz43sUg

had a couple other games the other night where we did some real wacky rotations, which i may just post clips of instead of the full rounds
    also recorded my POV of the sub games which i should take a look at, that also reminds me i need to fiddle with discord settings bc my mic was way low

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    nice little minor detail on the PTR:
    Mei’s Ice Wall now has a visual damaged state when under half health

making it more intuitive for your team to damage the same pillar is excellent

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

While I mostly agree with you, you are missing one very important, very Canadian item.
    wg735pfwzz6o.png

What could possibly be more Canadian than a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform?

Oh ya I did actually forget this one, was like the first skin I bought with coins way way back when. If anything shows how overdue we are for a new one heh.

Gimme a poutine spray at least

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

The other thing I found interesting was the stun interaction changes:
    Developer comment: New stuns will only replace existing stuns if their duration is longer than the time remaining on the current stun. For example, a Flashbang stun will not apply to someone who has just been Earthshattered. We use the minimum guaranteed stun time for Ana sleep, which right now is 1.5 seconds (time to fall down + time to stand back up).

I have no idea how it worked before to be fair, it sounds like it changes stacking but it might just be a visual thing even though the behavior was the same as before.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
  • Options
    Perrsun wrote: »

This isn't what i meant Blizzard!

(Butter tarts are delish tho)

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

One of the more common replies to that tweet is some variant of “that’s not even what a butter tart looks like”

Is it supposed to be this?
    nlogkqkkieta.jpeg

Either way, I’d eat a bunch of ‘em.

• Options
    Her dad is Canadian

• Options

One of the more common replies to that tweet is some variant of “that’s not even what a butter tart looks like”

Is it supposed to be this?
    nlogkqkkieta.jpeg

Either way, I’d eat a bunch of ‘em.

The picture you posted is definitely the more common, the one in the overwatch cookbook looks more like the butter square version ( which most still just call a tart up here) basically the same, cept instead of individual tarts, it's done like brownies with a pastry bottom.

• Options

The other thing I found interesting was the stun interaction changes:
    Developer comment: New stuns will only replace existing stuns if their duration is longer than the time remaining on the current stun. For example, a Flashbang stun will not apply to someone who has just been Earthshattered. We use the minimum guaranteed stun time for Ana sleep, which right now is 1.5 seconds (time to fall down + time to stand back up).

I have no idea how it worked before to be fair, it sounds like it changes stacking but it might just be a visual thing even though the behavior was the same as before.

Currently, if you flashbang someone that has been signed by Earthshatter immediately, they get pulled out of the Earthshatter stun and get up early. Essentially new stuns cancel old stuns.

On PTR, if the remaining time on the Earthshatter stun is longer than the Flashbang stun, then it doesn't happen. If the remaining time is less than flash, then it will happen.

For the purposes of consistency, lowest guaranteed time is used for Sleep Dart (I would assume Accretion as well) which is 1.5 seconds (fall down and immediately stand up).

So this just means a longer stun will always supercede a shorter one.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Her dad is Canadian

Sure, but literally every part of her past and personality links her to her Egyptian culture/heritage, while her Canadian side is explored basically not at all. It's a pretty big missed opportunity to include something that Western fans would almost never be exposed to otherwise. Her being Canadian is an absolutely minuscule part of her personality/background.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    and that's because her being canadian was basically just a retcon to justify her raindancer skin

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    @Baidol @SixshotStriker

I checked that Widow replay. Everything looked legit other than that one crouch shot under the banister. They were good but they weren't hitting everything.

• Options
    They were a crack shot.

I'm watching this livestream of PlatChat (Sideshow, Custa, and Reinforce) revising their pre-season rankings and this argument of where to put Valiant is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXib4fhJ_o

• Options
    i've got that on in the background, too

kind of hilarious that the hero pool announcement meant that they had to throw out all their previous work and try to hammer out an updated power ranking right before OWL starts

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The commitment to the Sharpie bit is real good.

Edit: People in the Youtube chat who don't know Twitch emotes is pretty adorable.

Baidol on
  • Options
    I haven't watched that video yet, but apparently multiple OWL players are ranking Valiant a lot higher than most people were thinking initially. Very excited to see how it all shakes out.

• Options
    Scrimbux stonks definitely came up.

Relying on scrimbux stonks is always a mistake.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    PTR Patch with new balance changes! They're coming fast!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-ptr-patch-notes-–-february-6-2020/456032
    HERO UPDATES

Wrecking Ball

Piledriver

Affected players’ loss of air control reduced from 1 second to 0.5 seconds

Brigitte

Repair Pack

Armor over-heal reduced from 75 armor to 50 armor
    HPS decreased from 60 to 55

Symmetra

Photon Projector (Secondary Fire)

Damage increased from 120 to 140

Widowmaker

Widow’s Kiss

Full charge time for scoped shots increased from 0.83 sec to 1 sec

BUG FIXES
    Fixed a bug with sound occlusion that would sometimes cause sounds to be muffled more than intended when hidden behind walls

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The wrecking ball change seems like a bit of preventative nerfing against Ball dive comps, esp Ball/D.Va. His slam has such a relatively long movement lock that certain characters can just delete any squishies that get knocked up. And Ball in general is awfully good right now in the right hands, I think they wanted to nerf him somehow, without nerfing his core fun gameplay.

Overheal being nerfed is fairly big, and probably changes a few damage breakpoints. This one feels kinda preventative as well, some minor tweaks downwards. Brig's been subtly really good lately, esp with less barriers in game she can keep inspire proc'd more easily, which gives her a ton of HP/s on allies getting dived, so this drops this a touch.

Sym is kinda meh right now, and has been for a while, so I guess we're just going full spam with her. I have no strong opinion one way or the other.

Widow nerf, ok.

Kana on
  • Options
    The wrecking ball change seems like a bit of preventative nerfing against Ball dive comps, esp Ball/D.Va. His slam has such a relatively long movement lock that certain characters can just delete any squishies that get knocked up. And Ball in general is awfully good right now in the right hands, I think they wanted to nerf him somehow, without nerfing his core fun gameplay.

Overheal being nerfed is fairly big, and probably changes a few damage breakpoints. This one feels kinda preventative as well, some minor tweaks downwards. Brig's been subtly really good lately, esp with less barriers in game she can keep inspire proc'd more easily, which gives her a ton of HP/s on allies getting dived, so this drops this a touch.

Sym is kinda meh right now, and has been for a while, so I guess we're just going full spam with her. I have no strong opinion one way or the other.

Widow nerf, ok.

Ya Ball's ceiling of skill is almost infinite, what's weird is it's not even FPS skill that really makes him, it's geometry skill.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    How do league watch credits work now?

This discussion has been closed.