As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Freestyle

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Freestyle

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    RIP Steve. Died as he unlived. In a dungeon.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Steve was a loose cannon! He knew the risks!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I had a DM once who named 1 character ever in our campaign. Anybody else we came across, if they needed a name, ended up with something really generic, like Bob or Sally off the top of his head. We had like 3 NPCs with the same name once.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I feel attacked.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    If this was a 4 panel strip the last panel would be Chris Perkins hitting Gabe with a folding chair.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Giant SloarGiant Sloar Registered User regular
    Alas poor Steve, I knew him well.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I feel attacked.

You think you feel attacked? What about poor Steve?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The last game Mike DMed had microtransactions. How much for this session's Season Pass?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    He merely adopted the wing-it GM style. I was born in it, MOLDED by it! I didn't see players who stayed on the rails until I was already a man, and by that time it was befuddling!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My GM will frequently get the rest of us to name NPCs and businesses that we come across

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Time to adopt the Pokemon (anime) naming convention. Every single police officer is Officer Jenny, and every single PokeCenter worker is Nurse Joy.

Can adopt that for all sorts of things in tabletop gaming.

"You roll into a new town and enter the tavern. Tavern Keeper Bob greets you with enthusiasm."

"As you enter the tavern in the great capital city of the east, Tavern Keeper Bob looks up from polishing a glass and gives you a dirty glare."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Time to adopt the Pokemon (anime) naming convention. Every single police officer is Officer Jenny, and every single PokeCenter worker is Nurse Joy.

"You roll into a new town and enter the tavern. Tavern Keeper Bob greets you with enthusiasm."

"As you enter the tavern in the great capital city of the east, Tavern Keeper Bob looks up from polishing a glass and gives you a dirty glare."

Party goes the wrong way? No need to refiddle the script every town is the same town.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I use the list of example names that tends to be in every character generation chapter

Adventures are oddly alphabetical when it comes to NPCs

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I call in the Warrior-Jumper!

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I thought of an even better use of this than free remapping:

After a couple campaigns when your players are no longer amused by this, randomly have an identical town but the tavern owner is Bill. Never acknowledge differences but every new location becomes different in a new way, starting mundane and progressing to eldritch to nonsensical. You can do a whole unraveling reality thing like Knights of Pen and Paper did.

Difficulty: you need to turn a gimmick of lazy writing into the pinnacle of master writing.

Hevach on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    And... uh... one of your party will betray you!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MarcinMN wrote: »

So, https://youtu.be/Uwbqr2UjeSg?t=6

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    MarcinMN wrote: »

So, https://youtu.be/Uwbqr2UjeSg?t=6