Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    You know, a movie doesn’t have to be John Wick to get an R rating, right?

I mean, Joker got an R and doesn’t have half the violence or other things mentioned above.

Black Swan got an R. Shawshank Redemption got an R. Come off it, man. This is an empty argument.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Blarghy wrote: »
    The thing I found a bit weird about the end fight (aside from how nobody seems to use guns, including the police, except when Harley/etc are in a position to easy defend against them), was the way they dumped an actual super power -- Black Canary's sonic voice -- into a movie where no one else used them at all. It was slightly hinted at when she broke a glass earlier on, but to go from that to blasting everyone away, just seemed like in was in the wrong movie.

This movie does still exist in the Snyderverse, after all

You know, the place where Superman and Wonder Woman and the Flash and Aquaman and Shazam all still reside? Where those heroes fought space monsters and living gods and vengeful sorcerers?

Screamy girl seems pretty banal in that context, no?
    Yes, but there were no other powers referenced in this movie at all. Not even in passing, nor was there some sort of build up where Black Canary used her voice power in lesser ways before unleashing its full potential here -- no minor distractions, no breaking windows/obstacles/nothing. Just breaking a single glass when hitting a high note, which could have just been done mundanely given the silliness otherwise present. It just didn't feel like that kind of movie, until it suddenly was. Especially since the last DC movie was Joker, which had no super powers either.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    John Wick is just an easy reference point, but Joker is filled with violence. He stabs one guy a bunch of times very much on screen and shoots another guy through the face and murders his mother on screen as well. These thing aren't hidden. Shawshank is filled with lots of violence, rape, murder and torture.

The point is not what it does to earn the R-rating, the point is that nothing it does to get the R-rating is actually interesting or useful to the story and so could have been excised or edited down to open its audience and help it reach a wider audience. Feel free to list anything extreme in the film that made it a better film and was worth the more restrictive rating. If you're going to take that rating then you need to be doing SOMETHING interesting with it to draw people in, because this is a film about Harley Quinn getting over her ex, the Joker, and there's no reason it should be failing as hard as it is right now apart from the obvious failings in the finished film and the marketing.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Saw this in an abandoned theater, ruh roh!

This was the best DC movie, except maybe Shazam. I love how much Huntress got dunked on. Very good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Shazam might be my favourite DC movie so far of the current crop, although I did really like Man of Steel.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't care I'm still excited to see it when we go this week.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey was great. I dragged my husband and two friends along to see it. I was mildly interested based on the trailers (seemed fun, and Margot Robbie never disappoints), but after the critical reception was somehow positive I was so down to go. We saw a matinee today and yeah, there were maybe 10 other people in our showing. Huge bummer that this thing seems destined to tank. I know the trailers/character is off-putting to some people but it was a very fun romp. With a coherent story, even!

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    In retrospect not choosing to just have Margot Robbie drive a single-protagonist vehicle and adding a bunch of extra characters right off the bat may have been an unforced error.

Margot forced it to happen because more representation in comic book movies is a good thing. These characters are hopefully now linked to the Harley Quinn franchise and will have more chances at better characterization in the future

Otherwise the chances of Huntress/Cass/Montoya being in a movie are practically nil. Canary had a built in better chance by being a long standing Green Arrow love interest

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

A great line from this from the director "Art comforts the disturbed, and disturbs the comfortable."

Didn't mean to quote, meant to edit. It's been a long day lol

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Todd Phillips wouldn’t know good cinema if it shot out of his ass

He’s a fucking homophobic, transphobic, misogynist shitbird, and the idea he has the slightest bit of directorial talent would be a laugh riot if we didn’t live in this timeline, where people like he and Peter Farrelly garner academy noms.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've never seen a single 'What [Movie/Game/Book] is actually about' video that I've felt was worth watching.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Whatever happened between Rosie Perez's character and her captain was so paper thin.
    She went out shitfaced and aided 2 wanted fugitives in a gang war, resulting in multiple deaths, and no arrests of her accomplices. Then, her captain takes some credit, for what I don't know, maybe filling all the body bags, and Rosie leaves in disgust. Apparently the movie wants me to take her side, but I don't get it. She's a dirty cop and he's not. She'd get all the glory she's looking for if she'd stop tampering with evidence and cutting every corner she can find. Becoming a vigilante is the logical conclusion for her character, but not in the fun comic book way, in the real world narcissist that can't be bothered with rules way.

Huntress was fun.
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead seems to have been the only cast member aware this was a comedy. She's the butt of a few jokes, but she rolls with it enough to make her likable, and she dishes out a couple jabs as well. She's not in the movie nearly enough.

Black Canary
    She's the only part of the movie I've got no beef with. She's conflicted, she doesn't want to stick her neck out, but she also can't abide what her boss wants her to do. She's interesting and magnetic wherever she's on screen, the movie wants to go home with her, but it came to the dance with Harley, so it's gonna stick it out with her.

Harley
    She's just not very fun this time out. She has her moments, her romance with the egg sandwich was cute, but on the whole, she didn't carry the film. Not a lot of laughs on the whole. I did like her therapist training peeking out from time to time, wish it would have led to a payoff.

Black Mask
    He was yucky. Ewan really tried on this one, and he managed to make a real creep. Not much to say about him, other than I was glad to see him blow up, not a character I want to see more.

For everything about the Birds of Prey that did work for me, I found the whole quite boring. I wouldn't say I hated it, but nothing about it suggests a rewatch, either.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I would have liked Huntress better if she were in the movie for more than two minutes.

At any rate, the flick made $33 million at the box office -- WB was expecting $50 million. So yeah, it's safe to say that R rating was a mistake.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I dunno. I'd blame the trailers more than the R rating. Like, some people obviously enjoy the movie a lot. Some people in this thread do and there were a few women in the sparsely attending viewing I went to that were laughing and obviously enjoying themselves.

I don't get it (my opinions line up horrifyingly well with Atlas in Chains above) and I can't understand otherwise, but opinions are just that. They vary and people like different things.

I really think the trash trailers and horrible naming of the movie sunk it more than an R rating, though. Make amazing trailers like for Deadpool and you're fine with an R rating. The trailers were just so bad.

The release of the hair tie clip, which was so bad. kind of sunk the dagger in at a really bad time.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I would have liked Huntress better if she were in the movie for more than two minutes.

At any rate, the flick made $33 million at the box office -- WB was expecting $50 million. So yeah, it's safe to say that R rating was a mistake.

- $33 million is nearly half its budget

- R-rated comic book movies have done just fine, what are you talking about

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Yep, Blade made $70mill domestic/$131mill worldwide on a $40mill budget in 1998.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I've never seen a single 'What [Movie/Game/Book] is actually about' video that I've felt was worth watching.

I love the "ENDING EXPLAINED!" videos that I see so many links to on youtube. How else would you understand the ending of Billy Madison?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

That's not great given the drop-off in attendance after the opening movies tend to have these days.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think R rating would have been okay if the advertising matched up with it.

• Options

- WB was expecting to make $50 million.

- This particular movie seems like it would really appeal to teens, moreso than stuff like Joker or Blade.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The budget was at least $84 million (some peg it higher, but I'll edit this and put the lower in). That also doesn't include ad spend, which probably ranged from $50 to $100 million.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Yeah, but there's a lot going on for those drops I'd imagine like the next week's competition, initial buzz etc. It's well reviewed and next week...Sonic and Fantasy Island comes out. It might not crater. I'm not sure it's going to climb, it doesn't seem like a Valentine's flick either, but who knows.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

I love the "ENDING EXPLAINED!" videos that I see so many links to on youtube. How else would you understand the ending of Billy Madison?

O'DOYLE RULEZ?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    There are many reasons Birds of Prey did poorly opening weekend.

The marketing was horrible.
    The bad taste left from the Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad.
    It looked like a horrible Birds of Prey movie. (also a marketing fault)
    The R rating for a movie that followed a PG-13 rated movie probably also had an effect.
    The title was a mouthful and probably put people off.

I have no interest in seeing Birds of Prey. I'm not a big fan of Harley Quinn. I am a big fan of the Birds of Prey and Black Canary. This is a Harley movie with bits of Birds of Prey in it. I'm also not into cursing or graphic gore, so I pretty much avoid R rated movies like this anyway. This movie just had so much going against it.

I will say that this movie should have been a Gotham City Sirens movie and I think it would have done better. Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman would have been a much more fun pairing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Seriously. Harley didn't really have a foil or anyone to really contrast her energy. This was a buddy movie without the buddying.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    As a counterpoint to the "R" decision, this isn't even the only mature-rated post-Joker Harley Quinn story out right now. And while I don't know how its ratings are in the nebulous streaming world, the animated TV show at least feels like it has a lot of buzz and positive reactions.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Todd Phillips wouldn’t know good cinema if it shot out of his ass

He’s a fucking homophobic, transphobic, misogynist shitbird, and the idea he has the slightest bit of directorial talent would be a laugh riot if we didn’t live in this timeline, where people like he and Peter Farrelly garner academy noms.

ehhh I dont know, the fact that Joker was pretty good and BoP wasnt, is not helping your point.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah, but there's a lot going on for those drops I'd imagine like the next week's competition, initial buzz etc. It's well reviewed and next week...Sonic and Fantasy Island comes out. It might not crater. I'm not sure it's going to climb, it doesn't seem like a Valentine's flick either, but who knows.

I disagree with the later point: seems to me like it would have done well releasing on Valentine's day. Deadpool killed on Valentine's day; like it, Harley would come across as a "cool" date movie for younger adults. And if you had released it this Friday you could have added that angle into the marketing.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

I disagree with the later point: seems to me like it would have done well releasing on Valentine's day. Deadpool killed on Valentine's day; like it, Harley would come across as a "cool" date movie for younger adults. And if you had released it this Friday you could have added that angle into the marketing.

I think a "Galatines Day" Marketting for the movie could have worked as well.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The TV ads for BOP seem very try-hard edgy much like a Joker with face tattoos. The brief snippets of Harley you get makes her come off as insufferable at best. I'm not surprised BOP isn't doing hot at the box office.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

I think a "Galatines Day" Marketting for the movie could have worked as well.

Possibly, I've been hearing a lot of Galantine's Day talk around the office. They're all skewing a bit older though, not sure BoP is something they'd go see, more likely they're going to see The Gentlemen.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The reasons I didn't go see BoP are that I'm kind of burnt out on super heros by the MCU, and I have not seen any movie by DC that was anything more than "meh". (I haven't seen Wonder Woman(which I hear is pretty good)) Which is sad because the DCAU is freaking awesome.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If BoP actually good then yeah, I would 100% blame the marketing and the rating for its performance.

Edit: Well maybe 80%. Not making it a Harley Quinn movie and Margot Robbie vehicle also made it an uphill battle.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed more with or felt further away from my fellow PA posters after having read some of the opinions here

Not just about this movie, but with, like, cinema and life and everything

Birds of Prey is the best DC movie. I’m really sorry some of you didn’t have fun.

*holds my beautiful big dumb boy Aquaman*

how dare you.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed more with or felt further away from my fellow PA posters after having read some of the opinions here

Not just about this movie, but with, like, cinema and life and everything

Birds of Prey is the best DC movie. I’m really sorry some of you didn’t have fun.

*holds my beautiful big dumb boy Aquaman*

how dare you.

If it makes you feel any better, I love Momoa in the role. He just needs a better movie to be in.

I mean, we already have two Aquaman movies, and that’s two more than I’d ever have thought possible just a few years ago.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I am stoked for WW84. For all I care they could burn down the rest of the DCEU.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Well, there's the Suicide Squad sequel being done by James Gunn, which will undoubtedly be good unless there's studio meddling. (And at this point the attitude is "do whatever you feel like," so hopefully not.)

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    James Gunn going to DC was kind of WB's 'gotcha' moment to Marvel.

I'm sure they hired him with a 'do whatever you did to make that movie with a talking Raccoon and Tree a hit please.'

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I feel like DC having a good director who can easily and safely say "If you change that, I walk" might be the best thing they could possibly have.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.