As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cases of Coronavirus confirmed in Massachusetts - should I be worried?

jim2point0jim2point0 Registered User regular
edited February 2020 in PAX East
My wife and I are planning to attend PAX East, but we recently learned that there have been confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Massachusetts. Now we're wondering if we should cancel our trip.

Is anyone else worried about this, or am I being overly paranoid?

jim2point0 on

• Options
    SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    I'd be more worried of PAX Pox, before the Coronavirus. You're more likely to get the flu than the Coronavirus. Bring hand sanitizer and practice general cold and flu preventive habits and you should be fine.

• Options
    EL_Limon_CubanoEL_Limon_Cubano Boston, MARegistered User regular
    We live in Boston and everything has been normal here. Only thing is of course the crowd at PAX, but even still confirmed cases in US seem to be controlled. I would not cancel

drhmrzipmoio.png
  • Options
    DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    Last I checked it was a single confirmed case of CoV in Boston. With all the Chinese travel quarantine procedures in place now I think your risk of infection is low.

As per the CDC: "Imported cases of COVID-19 in travelers have been detected in the U.S. Person-to-person spread of COVID-19 also has been seen among close contacts of returned travelers from Wuhan, but at this time, this virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States."

• Options
    MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MephistoN7 on
    erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I don't think your concern with COVID-19 is unwarranted, but it's not the case in Boston that you should be concerned about. 35,000+ people pack the halls of PAX East every day, and these are people traveling from all over the country and also from other parts of the world. The single case in Boston involved a student who traveled back from China and voluntarily turned himself over to be quarantined. What all of the PAX attendees bring with them is a bigger concern, and it's the same concern every PAX.

Someone mentioned PAX Pox - it's real and it happens every single year. I've caught it a few times and it's ranged from Strep to the Flu. All these people bringing their colds with them, touching controllers, screens, handles, rails, etc. It's bound to happen when that many people crowd into a single area for 4 days with little rest and worse-than-normal hygiene. I'm not going to say that you're 100% safe from COVID-19; no one is when travelling is involved. But, if your major concern with COVID-19 is the single case in Boston, then it you're looking in the wrong spot. The chances of something like this happening is more like going to Disney World where people are coming in from all parts of the world than some sick dude who is sitting in a hospital nearby.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    jim2point0jim2point0 Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    But, if your major concern with COVID-19 is the single case in Boston, then it you're looking in the wrong spot.
    I actually didn't know it was just a single case. I've gone to PAX East several times before and have never gotten sick, though I generally have a decent immune system. But this was just a little more worrying than catching a cold/flu so I thought I'd ask.

The news about Sony canceling is a big bummer though. Especially since they seem to be the only ones (so far).

• Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    jim2point0 wrote: »
    I've gone to PAX East several times before and have never gotten sick

Sorcerer!!

No but seriously. Pox is bad.....some years worse than others and I don't know about you but the flu has been BRUTAL in the Hartford area this year. I'm bringing a gallon of sanitizer, skipping VR and likely most playable demos. Definitely skeeved out by Corona, but its that Pox I fear.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be worried about the Coronavirus at all, IMO. The US cases are extremely limited, and as a Boston resident who lives in an area with a high population of Chinese nationals, it's totally fine. Like those above said, be more worried about the regular flu or head colds passed around at PAX! The BCEC said they'll have extra sanitation stations.

I think cancelling due to a single case in Massachusetts is being a bit too paranoid. Even Sony cancelling has more to do with the number of cases in Japan than the number at PAX or Boston.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I would be more worried about the Flu than anything else, just remember to wash your hands, cover your coughs, use hand sanitizer, etc.

mYPBAfl.jpg