As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I like how Conan was just ripping the cartridges out while it was still on.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like how Conan was just ripping the cartridges out while it was still on.

He's such a barbarian.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've been listening to Conan's podcast. It's funnier than it should be.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Listen I hate the wannabe mod type more than anyone but shouldn't we be talking about retro game re-releases in the retro games thread? No wonder that place is a ghost town.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Listen I hate the wannabe mod type more than anyone but shouldn't we be talking about retro game re-releases in the retro games thread? No wonder that place is a ghost town.

Not a bad idea. Do you mean this thread?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I try to nudge that stuff over that way (I even linked it in the OP), but it never takes, so I just sort of roll with it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    While we're on that subject, do you guys think this is the right thread for me to occasionally bring up the ZX Spectrum Next? It's not actually "retro" in the traditional sense for the retro thread, as it's a new machine, but I guess it's not exactly a plug & play device either since it's a full computer that you can get new games for and not just what it comes with (without hackery, at least), and it's obviously not going to sustain a whole thread on its own as I'll probably be the only forumer with one, at least any time soon (unless someone else just hasn't spoken up yet)... but I think here is probably the best fit for it.

Although I'm still not sure what I'll actually do with it, as I've said, but I'm eyeing up physical releases of some games for it (maybe I can even get them included in the forum GOTY awards list at the end of the year!). It should see at least few physical releases a year, and maybe even more downloadable, plus a few that are to be freebies for KS backers.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am thinking of getting one of those c64 plug and play things now that they are making the full size ones with working keyboards.

I wonder when they will be available stateside though.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    We really only need one retro-ish everything thread on this forum. It's pretty much the same audience interested in both and it just isn't moving that fast.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Spectrum Next update:

Base models have shipped out and many of them are in people's hands. Plus models are out the door shortly too, then it's on to the Accelerated ones - which make up over half of the entire production run, IIRC (of just over 3,000 units total), and one of those ones will be mine. Granted we're talking an enthusiast audience that's been waiting for a long time, but the reception has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

There was one instance where the backer sadly passed away last year, and as such his brother-in-law found himself with one of the machines today with no idea what to do with it - he's not into games at all and he says his kids are only interested in games if they're on iPhones. So, not unreasonably, he put the Next on eBay, and started it at 99p, no stupid "buy it now" prices or anything. It's already up to a whopping £410, with 9 days and 18 hours left to go (the original pledge at that tier would have been £175 plus £10 shipping, for perspective). There is much speculation as to how high it will go, as there have been a fair few interested people who missed out (mostly by only discovering it after the Kickstarter ended back in 2017).

There will be a second Kickstarter for another run of the Next at some point this year, and maybe sooner than we'd thought. So far it seems likely that, once again, only enough for backers will be built, due to the machine's admittedly niche appeal and relatively high price. But it's worth reiterating that it's not just an emulation box, it's setting out to do something else. (Although it's still 100% backwards compatible with its '80s predecessors and will still play literally any old Spectrum game you can throw at it, including from original cassette tapes.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    I am seriously thinking about importing a C64 maxi.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I am seriously thinking about importing a C64 maxi.

I admit I've eyed up a full size TheC64 (and/or the Mini). Even though for me, as a Speccy kid, the original C64 was the enemy. :wink: I can admit now that it was a good machine, one with different strengths to the Spectrum I'd argue, and TheC64 in particular is an interesting take on the SoC nostalgia box concept; while it's still fundamentally that as far as I'm aware, it does it with having full access to BASIC (not too hard given how advanced emulating machines of this vintage is now) and a full C64 keyboard in a still quite reasonably priced unit. Clearly they had fewer problems getting the keyboard working properly than the Spectrum Next team did, but I guess with TheC64 they didn't have to design the entire thing from scratch, they simply (heh, "simply", I know) had to recreate the existing C64 keyboard.

The Next keyboard is inspired by and based on the Spectrum 48K+ and 128K keyboards, but that's all - it still needed literally everything actually doing from the ground up and was a major factor in the machine being as delayed as it has been. It looks like it's paid off, though - according to the punters who have them now, they absolutely nailed it. (Seems like current estimates for the accelerated version shipping are a week from now, maybe two, but they are just estimates, the team are not throwing out any specifics - with good reason.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Here's a pic (from someone else, these aren't mine although I have owned examples of most of them) of a Spectrum Next with some of its older siblings:

7532rd7mxjpg.jpg

Top to bottom: ZX81, Spectrum 48K, Spectrum 48K+, Spectrum 128K, Spectrum 128K +2 (designed by Amstrad after they bought Sinclair, hence why it sticks out like a sore thumb), and finally, the Spectrum Next.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    That is so beautiful. I have the US version which I think was called the Timex Sinclair 1000. My dad bought it for an ungodly amount long ago when I was little because he knew the future would be with computers and he wanted his kids to learn how to program. Unfortunately I pulled it out a few years ago from its original box and it has passed away. I am hoping that one day I'll have enough guts to open it up and see if I can fix it since I believe it is just the keyboard that is dead.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I had a ZX80 (looked similar to the ZX81 except it was white & blue, I believe) and eventually upgraded to a Spectrum. Sadly, I didn't have a cassette drive, so I never really did much of anything with either of them aside from writing a BASIC program that would let me roll hundreds of sets of 2d6 for when I was doing ship combat in Traveller High Guard.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The ZX80:

1tlbj42yzara.jpg

That's not a bad use for one - and one that still exists now in the plethora of dice rolling apps for smartphones and the like! :+1:

But yeah, without the ability to save & load, obviously they'd be kind of limited.

The Next still has a cassette interface, so you can use old tapes with it, or there's a really useful Android app called PlayZX that lets you use your phone plugged in via the headphone jack (or, I assume, a USB-C wired headphone dongle), which has been around for ages and works with old Spectrums too. But the Next also has its own SD card slot, for a bit more modern convenience!

Jazz on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Yep, that was it!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Played a couple NES games on my girlfriend's Plug 'n Play this weekend that I never played back in the day.

Ducktales 2. Pretty good! Solid sequel that keeps the gameplay of the original but seems to control a little better this time around. There's even some replay value in the form of a secret item hunt.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Ugh. I remember seeing this one in Nintendo Power and thinking it looked pretty good. This game is Nintendo Hard as shit. The controls also felt kinda bad to me. It seems like there is a slight delay on shooting/jumping (I don't think it was just the controller->TV but I could be wrong). I could write paragraphs about all the cheap, unfair bullshit difficulty in the game. I had to save state scum like crazy just to see the whole game in a reasonable time frame. This is a game that could bring out the AVGN in almost any of us.

forty on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, it was a big burst of retro goodness, but there aren't any companies left that could possibly join back in, right?
    Hasbro is bringing back another ‘90s classic: the monochrome Tiger Electronics LCD handheld. Today, the company announced that it’ll be releasing four new versions of the iconic handheld, which will launch this fall for $14.99 each.

As with the originals, each device will play a single game. The launch titles include The Little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (all are available to preorder at Gamestop now). Hasbro says that each game is “inspired” by the original version from the 1990s. They all sport a familiar control setup, with monochromatic graphics displayed on top of a static, colorful backdrop. Each unit is powered by two AA batteries (which, of course, are not included). “The design and technology were created with the original handheld game unit in mind,” the company says.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/19/21136607/hasbro-tiger-electronics-lcd-handheld-games-xmen-sonic-transformers

Uh... okay?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Holy shit awesome I can't wait!

...no, no, that's not it. I meant the other thing.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Hey, this is the only way we are getting Sonic 3. Can't complain too much.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, it was a big burst of retro goodness, but there aren't any companies left that could possibly join back in, right?
    Hasbro is bringing back another ‘90s classic: the monochrome Tiger Electronics LCD handheld. Today, the company announced that it’ll be releasing four new versions of the iconic handheld, which will launch this fall for $14.99 each.

As with the originals, each device will play a single game. The launch titles include The Little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (all are available to preorder at Gamestop now). Hasbro says that each game is “inspired” by the original version from the 1990s. They all sport a familiar control setup, with monochromatic graphics displayed on top of a static, colorful backdrop. Each unit is powered by two AA batteries (which, of course, are not included). “The design and technology were created with the original handheld game unit in mind,” the company says.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/19/21136607/hasbro-tiger-electronics-lcd-handheld-games-xmen-sonic-transformers

Uh... okay?

That is....weird? I can't imagine there is that much nostalgia for these things. It's not like a mini console where you you get a bunch of games. $14.99 is a lot for one shitty LCD game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Yeah. Lcd games were cheapo.

• Options

The only ones that I think would do decent business would be Nintendo Game & Watch games.

That two-screen Mario Bros. where they're in the bottle factory? That I would buy again (if it wasn't stupid money).

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The only ones that I think would do decent business would be Nintendo Game & Watch games.

That two-screen Mario Bros. where they're in the bottle factory? That I would buy again (if it wasn't stupid money).

Heh. Got it right here on my shelf.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I had an elaborate lcd pinball game. It had lights and noises.

• Options
    I have a Karnov one that I never beat. Since I'm a Transformers geek I'm so tempted to pick one of these up to leave at my desk at work. Especially to have the younger generation of co-workers here play it and see what they think.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I owned so many of those shitty tiger handhelds.

• Options
    I never owned any, but played one or two. A friend of mine had Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

It was not the ideal way to play Simon's Quest.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I had an elaborate lcd pinball game. It had lights and noises.

Extra large multi level shooter with a joystick setup.

It was ok i guess, but my dumbass 9 year old self should have realised 5 of those would have gotten me a NES.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I never owned any, but played one or two. A friend of mine had Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

I had that one, street fighter, mega man 2, and ninja turtles off the top of my head.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Heh. Got it right here on my shelf.

Ditto. It has a few scratches but overall it’s in excellent condition. I wish I picked up a few others back in the day.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Might have been better than the original.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Might have been better than the original.

Counterpoint: the original had "Bloody Tears"

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I had some of those Tiger games. Simon’s Quest, Mega Man 2, Ninja Turtles, Wizards and Warriors.

I legit enjoyed the Mega Man 2 one. It’s probably still in a box in my garage.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I hope those fail miserably. That trash doesn't deserve to be purchased. They felt like disappointing ripoffs even 30 years ago, why bother now?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have a Karnov one that I never beat. Since I'm a Transformers geek I'm so tempted to pick one of these up to leave at my desk at work. Especially to have the younger generation of co-workers here play it and see what they think.

And this is why they will sell and why you guys cant assume that because you think something is frivolous that means everyone else does too. Just because you see no use in it doesn't mean that other people won't either. People will buy these for the nostalgia and for the toyetic/collectible nature of them. Especially if they are a fan of the IPs being released, like Transformers in this case.

forty wrote: »
    I hope those fail miserably. That trash doesn't deserve to be purchased. They felt like disappointing ripoffs even 30 years ago, why bother now?

Good lord man tell us how you really feel?

I get not being a fan of a product, but wishing it fails miserably? When there's good people behind it's production, some of whom have their jobs on the line? Yeah I dunno about that one. That seems kind of mean-spirited if you ask me.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd like the Transformers and Sonic ones for the novelty.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently they're 100% reproductions of the original things -- note the Transformers one loudly says "Generation 2," which was the name for the toy line's relaunch in the early 90s.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently they're 100% reproductions of the original things -- note the Transformers one loudly says "Generation 2," which was the name for the toy line's relaunch in the early 90s.

Which I did fine funny since they are using the G1 art on it.

oosik_betsuni.png