As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Jury Rig

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Jury Rig

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My one experience of actually making it past juror selection was for a fender bender that turned into a highly irregular DUI case where even the arresting officers were like, "This blood test says you should be dead, this has to be faulty."

As a jury we were instructed to review the evidence presented, which meant that because the public defender never even attempted to establish that the test might be faulty (and thus gave zero defense for the defendant, who was not fluent in English) we were forced to convict. The majority of the jury had apparently been selected for our vehement dislike of substance abusers, so we were all pretty pissed that we were basically forced to cooperate in this stacked deck sham instead of getting to convict someone who actually seemed guilty. We spent all of our deliberations sending notes to the judge complaining about it.

And that's my story of how I got to participate in American justice and send a poor Czech immigrant to Tent City for a year.

If you don't know much about Joe Arpaio and Tent City, here's a first hand account

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/08/26/the-year-i-spent-in-joe-arpaios-tent-jail-was-hell-he-should-never-walk-free/

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I don't think I could have went along with that.

Hence probably why I was asked to not be on the only jury I've been called for. Either that or the crimes.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Just a simple country lawyer, no tie tied or nuthin'

Judge would not look too kindly on that.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've been called for Jury duty 4 times, and it's weird, because every time I've been called it's for a jurisdiction I used to live but no longer live. I've been told it's tied to my voter registration, but it seams when I change my address with the DMV, the old jurisdiction sends me a letter that is forwarded. So the beauty of it is I've never had to serve a day, because it's a phone call and an email (or fax) and it is resolved.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I got summoned 3 times for a state I hadn't lived in for years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I went once or twice, never made it out of the waiting room.

Last two times I was still a contractor, so wrote a polite letter saying this would be a hardship for my family. Excused both times no problem.

• Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    I've been called 4 times and served on juries twice and once more as an alternate (had to sit through the trial but did not get to deliberate). We delivered justice both times- acquittal! I even cracked wise during the voir dire process and got some lols from the court room.

Frankly, it is a pretty fine way to avoid work if they are paying for your time to be there (public institution). Though, those were the days when you had to be on-prem. Now its all check the website...

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Do not underestimate the eastern europe/russion alcohol tolerance. It's the stuff of legends...

Yh6tI4T.jpg