As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my roomates let my cat out

haveyouseenmehaveyouseenme Registered User new member
my cat is an indoor only cat as I live in a city and my roomates have locked my cats in rooms without food or water before, but this time they left the window open and my cat escaped and got lost. I've put up flyers and food and cat poop. but what can I do legally

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    First off, best of luck finding your cat! I hope everything turns out ok for you both.

Concerning your roomates, you could talk with a lawyer and pursue legal action potentially, but it would be hard to prove it was a deliberate attempt to harm the cat and probably won't go anywhere. Your best bet would be to move out and find new roommates that will respect you and your cat's need.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Well - like the vast majority of legal questions - it depends. First of all, I am not your lawyer nor am I giving you legal advice on which you should act.

Second - what are your damages? If you're in a state that doesn't have special rules for animals you have effectively lost property through your roommates' possible negligence. Since you don't know what happened to the animal the damage model is very difficult to build here. Essentially it would boil down to the value of the property. How much did you pay for the cat? It sounds callous, but that's the situation in a state just outside of the South.

What is it that you think you're entitled to? Criminal complaint? Some sort of lawsuit?

• Options
    Clint1Clint1 Registered User new member
    Save up money and get an apartment by yourself. Roomates are always trouble.