As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1up Video Preview

NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
The new UI is absolutely awesome and I love the "comic frames" during the cut scenes.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/17149

NotASenator on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2008
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cross-posting from another thread in G&T.

Summary that will be updated:

- Created characters represented in-game as well as cut-scenes.
    - Not a lot of customization options for girl characters.
    - It's a fusion of RPG/point and click. Not much to adventure aspect so far (sounds like they only played the beginning of the game)
    - No random battles, you see enemies. Roll dice for initiative. Can use spacebar to block attacks.
    - Progress wheels fill up for attacks and once full you can attack at any time. Previewer said it seems like you spend more time watching the wheels fill instead of watching the battle animations.
    - Think it could be an RPG for people who aren't RPG-people. There is a timing aspect to attacks.
    - Text is hilarious. Different dialogue trees offered.
    - No voices for Gabe or Tycho. Not the same G&T from the comic but their dynamic is still there (???). Lots of bits for fans, certain real comic panels are stuck places in-game.
    - "And when you see what the little Fruit Fuckers do..." "What do they do?" "They...fuck fruits".

Some screen caps:

oupgys.jpg29qhbwo.jpg
    294tl3n.jpg2ikzeoy.jpg
    2r58ccg.jpg2u7cap5.jpg
    acfmkw.jpg2cr6gyr.jpg
    i3xtu1.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a really strange vibe from that video. It seemed like they did not really know what to expect from the game and tried to compare it to other games/genres in their head but failed. They seemed so unresponsive to how the game breaks the mold by putting the humor in front of the gameplay instead of behind it.

I hope this does not constitute a glimpse into a bunch of reviews saying 'if you do not like PA humor, this game is not for you'. I could not care less, since I do and it is (for me), but it may constitute an interesting conundrum for reviewers and people who get uppity about review scores. Reviewers seem so eager to review a game by its mass appeal and genre adherence instead of its core merits.

Games still lack the real differentiation of market groups that movies and books have. In the game world, genres classify what you do in which way as a player (FPS, RPG, and the utterly generic 'Adventure') instead of what the game is actually about: Romance, Humor, Fantasy, Thriller. This is due to the dual appeal (gameplay and storytelling) games have, yet evaluating the latter is totally glossed over in most game reviews. They just say 'good humor', or 'good story', yet a game like this needs much more than just a single line like 'if you do not like PA humor, this game is not for you'.

It might be a bit much to expect an evaluation of that in a preview though. Khoo and comrades really have a tough challenge in promoting this game to previewers like these. Giving previews in the traditional sense must be like standing next to a book that isn't totally finished and having people come by to read excerpts and comment on the typesetting.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Reading some comments on Joystiq, apparently if your memory doesn't go past 1997, you can't think of any games to compare it to. Most of the ones I can think of were done by Sierra or LucasArts in the 80s.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For some reason I always thought that Joystiq readers and Kotaku readers were of the same mindset on games and such, but man, there was a pretty stark difference in the comments of both sites, even though both of the blog posts were pretty positive about the game. Ah well.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Most criticism seems to land on how the RPG action didn't feel fast enough. If I could take a guess it was because of the music. It gave no sense of urgency, and if you sneak a peek (a hearing?) at any other RPG, the battle music is always a lot more pressing.

If I look at the game closely, the RTB battle system and minigame special attacks make it already seem at least as fast paced as most RPGs. It's just that you can't see or hear that pressure that makes people watching the video's bored. Also, it's the first half hour of the game, it's alright to ease people into it.

I know the game will most likely have proper battle music and 'not only mouse' controls down the line, so I'm not worried.

Oh noez, am I falling into the fanboy trap of refuting any little nitpick people throw at this game? I guess as long as I do it here I will be fine. :P

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For some reason I always thought that Joystiq readers and Kotaku readers were of the same mindset on games and such, but man, there was a pretty stark difference in the comments of both sites, even though both of the blog posts were pretty positive about the game. Ah well.

Reading the kotaku replies, I noticed more level-headed and thought-out responses, even on the topic of which webcomic they like more, something that rarely brings out the best in people on the internet. They seemed to (for the most part) lay out specific things they liked or disliked.

The commenters at Joystiq just seemed spitful, which immediately made me suspicious, and it didn't take long to see the evidence that the most vocal critics weren't actually raging against the game as much as they were expressing some sort of rage at PA itself. At least the guys at kotaku were able to just say when they didn't like PA and not try to mask their burning internet rage in the guise of useful critiques.

I think, especially with professional previews like the one at Wired's Game|Life, the guys at HotHead know which crits they should be taking to heart.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had no idea what a "Narcoleptic Jedi" would look like when I clicked through. Really, could they have found someone less interesting to do the preview?

Also, I was unaware that there was a burning internet rage towards PA... it appears that there is. Some people also hate sunshine and butterflies, so there really is no accounting for taste.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wasn't sure what you meant by the jedi reference and it reminded me that I hadn't looked at the newspost today.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Game is looking awesome, I cant wait. The game looks/feels alittle empty from what I see in the previews and videos with no voice moving the story along, hopefully they figure something out or Im wrong and it works well.

I agree by the way that they shoudlnt voice Gabe and Tycho, everyone has a voice for them that is different

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah - we didn't want to go the Dilbert route - the voices ruined it for me. :( We think we found a pretty happy medium with the dialogue presentation - you'll see what I mean. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm all for keeping them silent as well. Like how CAD and PVP made animated series with voices, the voices they choose might ruin it for you like how Khoo apparently didn't like the Dilbert voices.

If this was a PA animated series, obviously they'd need to talk, but given the fact it is a game and the style of the game, I really like the text heavy presentation.

There are a lot of idiosyncrasies that are in Tycho's writing style that would likely not translate very well into spoken word.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, I just love the look and feel of these games. It's been a while since I've been on some LucasArts adventures and I'm betting this is going to take me right back! :D

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think this will take me back to the LucasArts adventures given the genre blends in the PA game. In my opinion it will take me to the next step of gaming. A blending of genres to create a new and fantastic game.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980