As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

1979899100101103»

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Also, if I never again hear the words “hindsight is 20/20” it will be too fucking soon.

The Diamond Princess was quarantined in the beginning of February. Serie A closed up shop well before the end of February. Seattle was reporting community spread beginning of March. If you boarded a cruise ship in early March, you get what you get. The level of willful ignorance required to make that choice is half the reason things are as bad as they are right now. And “half” is being generous.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    By the way, we stopped letting in outside bags at our store

I've seen a couple of variations on this.

At the local Whole Foods they literally have a security guard outside at the head of the line to get into the store who specifically asks if you are bringing in reusable bags. If you do, you cannot go inside. Everything is complimentary paper bags now.

At Trader Joe's they allow reusable bags in the store but the employees will only bag your groceries with their paper bags. If you want to use the reusable bags you have to do the bagging.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Re:landlords, I think there's also a fundamental difference in perspective that depends on your personal experiences with landlords.

For instance, I used to rent from a married couple I knew who owned several houses in the neighborhood. SUPER nice and decent people, and they took upkeep of the properties seriously. Anytime something broke, they moved heaven and earth to fix it themselves ASAP and if they couldn't, they had a whole list of people they would call to come do it for them. Never charged me a dime for any of it, no matter how much at fault I was/wasn't. They checked up on us, were never aggressive about rent or anything. When it came time for me to move on unfortunately short notice (unexpectedly landed a job in another city), they didn't make an issue of it, just talked it out and were very understanding. Landlord'ing was their job, they took it very seriously, worked their asses off, and were extremely good at it. As that was my first experience with non-university landlords, I was utterly baffled by the left's wholesale distaste for the profession.

Then I had other landlords, and man do I get it now.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Re:landlords, I think there's also a fundamental difference in perspective that depends on your personal experiences with landlords.

For instance, I used to rent from a married couple I knew who owned several houses in the neighborhood. SUPER nice and decent people, and they took upkeep of the properties seriously. Anytime something broke, they moved heaven and earth to fix it themselves ASAP and if they couldn't, they had a whole list of people they would call to come do it for them. Never charged me a dime for any of it, no matter how much at fault I was/wasn't. They checked up on us, were never aggressive about rent or anything. When it came time for me to move on unfortunately short notice (unexpectedly landed a job in another city), they didn't make an issue of it, just talked it out and were very understanding. Landlord'ing was their job, they took it very seriously, worked their asses off, and were extremely good at it. As that was my first experience with non-university landlords, I was utterly baffled by the left's wholesale distaste for the profession.

Then I had other landlords, and man do I get it now.

Yea I've known a few great landlords. My aunt and uncle own a rental property and yea, they move heaven and earth. It helps that he is a general contractor. They are outnumbered by orders of magnitude by the shitty ones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't look too far into the gun sales thing honestly. Hordes of non-gun owners are also treating this like the end of civilization, based on how they are hoarding various products the moments they resupply, so you have to expect that to show up in gun sales as well.

A lot of gun owners seem to use "buying new guns" as a way of dealing with anxiety about an uncontrollable world. So I'm sure adding the 23rd gun to their collection makes them feel like they are secure, like they are prepared, and nothing can harm them now.

Just try shooting a virus, though.

No. People who already own guns are stocking up on non-perishables, first aid/medical supplies, meat, fuel and other essentials. And we already own a lot of those things too. I'm not sure what your situation is but I have PPE for my family, a CLS bag with sterile dressings, sanitary wound care (bactine, wound wash, iodine etc.), hemostatic agents/bandages, splints, sterile suture packs, saline locks, bulk food, equipment for cooking and sanitizing water without power, emergency non-cellphone communications equipment, generator etc.

Frankly, this stereotyping about who is panic buying, why, and how they/we think we will "just shoot a virus" comes off as a coping mechanism and wishful thinking.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I wouldn't look too far into the gun sales thing honestly. Hordes of non-gun owners are also treating this like the end of civilization, based on how they are hoarding various products the moments they resupply, so you have to expect that to show up in gun sales as well.

A lot of gun owners seem to use "buying new guns" as a way of dealing with anxiety about an uncontrollable world. So I'm sure adding the 23rd gun to their collection makes them feel like they are secure, like they are prepared, and nothing can harm them now.

No. People who already own guns are stocking up on non-perishables, first aid/medical supplies, meat, fuel and other essentials. And we already own a lot of those things too. I'm not sure what your situation is but I have PPE for my family, a CLS bag with sterile dressings, sanitary wound care (bactine, wound wash, iodine etc.), hemostatic agents/bandages, splints, sterile suture packs, saline locks, bulk food, equipment for cooking and sanitizing water without power, emergency non-cellphone communications equipment, generator etc.

Frankly, this stereotyping about who is panic buying, why, and how they/we think we will "just shoot a virus" comes off as a coping mechanism and wishful thinking.

That's kinda just stereotyping based on your own situation as well. I know a lot of people, none of those who don't already own a gun decided "this is the time to buy a gun". Those who already owned guns definitely made a run at ammo and additional firearms. You're also describing behavior that is the reason why when people get off work at a hospital or as an EMS worker and go to the store they can't buy fucking beans or toilet paper.

It's not "stocking up" it's panic buying.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The conspiracies are getting cooked up now.

Time for me to jump off social media before I have a stroke.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cruise-ship-passengers-desperately-plead-florida-allow-them-n1173576
    Cruise ship passengers desperately plead with Florida to allow them in

More than 1,400 other passengers are now pleading with Florida to allow them in, but officials say the state simply does not have the resources to take on an extra burden.
    Anderson, along with more than 1,200 other passengers, are now pleading with Florida to allow them in, but officials, including Gov. Ron DeSantis, say the state simply does not have the resources to take on an extra burden amid a growing health crisis.

“We cannot afford to have people who are not even Floridians dumped into South Florida using up those valuable resources,” DeSantis told Fox News on Monday.

Four people have died on the ship, at least two from the coronavirus, nine others have tested positive and 179 others are experiencing flu-like symptoms.

There are more than 300 Americans onboard the ships.
    Of course the Republican governor basically supports death panels

Yet another really fucked up thing about this is just how transparent the above bolded lie is. We already know that while most states are only receiving a fraction of what they should be Florida has received full shipments of everything they have asked for several times over.

If there is any one state that would be adequately equipped to help more people its Florida. It sure as fuck isn't any blue state being denied what they need, outbid at every turn, or having supplies that they purchased stolen outright.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I'm agreeing with this post not because I am invested in guns or anything, but because I think "infantilizing/demonizing armchair psychoanalysis of cultural groups I don't like" is usually a bullshit genre, and that it's especially not a very constructive thing to fill the thread with (not directed at anyone in particular, but it is a frequently recurring theme).

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just had a weird thought. There are a bunch of nurses and doctors out there currently being photographed for what amounts to propaganda (for the good of us all I know) by multi-million dollar healthcare corporations to compensate for inventory shortcomings that are mostly of their own making...is it wrong to think, fuck that noise don't let them use your likeness unless you get paid for it?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I just had a weird thought. There are a bunch of nurses and doctors out there currently being photographed for what amounts to propaganda (for the good of us all I know) by multi-million dollar healthcare corporations to compensate for inventory shortcomings that are mostly of their own making...is it wrong to think, fuck that noise don't let them use your likeness unless you get paid for it?

That would be up to the healthcare workers?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm guessing they aren't thinking about it because they are better people than me, but that also means they are being taken advantage of by the same system that is causing them to literally risk their lives right now.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Damn thing killed Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne.

Wait, what? Fucking hell. He wasn't even that old.

52. Not old at all, not by a long shot.

It's become very clear that you don't have to be old to be killed by this. Infants have died of it in the US now. Kids around 12 and 13 have died in Europe.

Media coverage and public perception sure has seemed to have conflated "higher risk for the elderly" with "young people are immune".

:so_raven:
  • Options
    edited April 2020

They're just people too. I wouldn't put them on too high a pedestal. I work with plenty that definitely have stupid thoughts and sometimes like attention - just like any human. Some are also true believers and treat this is a wartime endeavor, you don't speak out against the system when there's battles to fight.

Some just suck as people too, but that's just people being people.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    dispatch.o wrote: »

That's kinda just stereotyping based on your own situation as well. I know a lot of people, none of those who don't already own a gun decided "this is the time to buy a gun". Those who already owned guns definitely made a run at ammo and additional firearms. You're also describing behavior that is the reason why when people get off work at a hospital or as an EMS worker and go to the store they can't buy fucking beans or toilet paper.

If buying a couple pounds of meat, rice, and vegetables during a trip to the grocery store is "panic buying" then literally anyone who goes to the grocery store on a normal trip is "panic buying". The way you're using the term doesn't mean anything. I, and many people, didn't just buy all of this last week. It's generally a good idea to have all of these things on hand even when there isn't a pandemic.

Which is why it comes off as coping, because from my perspective it's mostly people who weren't prepared for an emergency screaming into the void.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

If buying a couple pounds of meat, rice, and vegetables during a trip to the grocery store is "panic buying" then literally anyone who goes to the grocery store on a normal trip is "panic buying". The way you're using the term doesn't mean anything. I, and many people, didn't just buy all of this last week. It's generally a good idea to have all of these things on hand even when there isn't a pandemic.

Which is why it comes off as coping, because from my perspective it's mostly people who weren't prepared for an emergency screaming into the void.

I don't think this characterization of people as unprepared and screaming into the void is particularly constructive either...

people can disagree in their actions & beliefs without each side inventing a psychodrama that paints things the most self-flattering and other-degrading light possible

• Options
    edited April 2020

That seems an internally dishonest way of justifying buying extra items. Even at best interpretation, stocking up doesn't mean casually buying a couple of things you always buy anyway. Which is how we end up with no food on shelves, because everyone decides they'll just get a little extra. With a little extra meaning anything from double quantity to an entire truck bed load. Dismissing the concern or irritation of people who don't behave like doomsday preppers as a lifestyle choice as coping is kind of strange.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited April 2020

That seems an internally dishonest way of justifying buying extra items. Even at best interpretation, stocking up doesn't mean casually buying a couple of things you always buy anyway. Which is how we end up with no food on shelves, because everyone decides they'll just get a little extra. With a little extra meaning anything from double quantity to an entire truck bed load. Dismissing the behavior of people who don't borderline behave like doomsday preppers as a lifestyle as coping is kind of strange.

Having first aid supplies, an energy source, a way to communicate with family and friends, and food and a way to cook it without electricity is generally a good idea because emergencies happen. Again "hurrr these stupid redneck bumpkins buying up guns to shoot at a virus, what a bunch of hicks who don't understand science and shit" comes off as coping generally in line with the forum culture here.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    If there was some forethought to setting limits to how much of any individual item one customer could buy, as you would have in a promotional offer, it would have helped the scenarios of hoarding hand sanitizers, toilet paper, and other in-demand items a ton. Anymore Black Friday is actually pretty organized so its not impossible to take impending chaos and ration it out (as much as possible) for the greater good.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

It is a bit of a weird thought. My wife appears in a lot of marketing materials for the company she works for and wasn't compensated for any of it. She's totally fine with that, and just likes seeing her picture and those of others she knows up on big displays at conferences, or on the website, or wherever.

Beyond that though, demanding extra compensation right now in a way that would potentially slow down efforts to acquire needed goods would feel extremely gross and come off far too mercenary.

That said, my wife is putting in tons of unpaid hours right now inside and outside of the hospital just to try to keep up with things and provide the best possible care for her patients. So maybe my viewpoint is skewed.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    https://mashpeewampanoagtribe-nsn.gov/news/2020/3/27/message-from-the-chairman-we-will-take-action-to-prevent-the-loss-of-our-land
    At 4:00 pm today -- on the very day that the United States has reached a record 100,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and our Tribe is desperately struggling with responding to this devastating pandemic -- the Bureau of Indian Affairs informed me that the Secretary of the Interior has ordered that our reservation be disestablished and that our land be taken out of trust. Not since the termination era of the mid-twentieth century has a Secretary taken action to disestablish a reservation.

Today's action was cruel and it was unnecessary. The Secretary is under no court order to take our land out of trust. He is fully aware that litigation to uphold our status as a tribe eligible for the benefits of the Indian Reorganization Act is ongoing.

from the 27th

• Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular

That seems an internally dishonest way of justifying buying extra items. Even at best interpretation, stocking up doesn't mean casually buying a couple of things you always buy anyway. Which is how we end up with no food on shelves, because everyone decides they'll just get a little extra. With a little extra meaning anything from double quantity to an entire truck bed load. Dismissing the behavior of people who don't borderline behave like doomsday preppers as a lifestyle as coping is kind of strange.

Having first aid supplies, an energy source, a way to communicate with family and friends, and food and a way to cook it without electricity is generally a good idea because emergencies happen. Again "hurrr these stupid redneck bumpkins buying up guns to shoot at a virus, what a bunch of hicks who don't understand science and shit" comes off as coping generally in line with the forum culture here.

Just because you agree with the crazy people doesn't make them less crazy.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Mosati wrote: »

Being prepared. How crazy. Why would anyone want to be prepared for an emergency.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular

Being prepared. How crazy. Why would anyone want to be prepared for an emergency.

There's being prepared and then there's mania and obsession. If you have a BOB you're probably trending the wrong direction.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    In the hindsight category, previous Christian Democrat leader in Sweden Göran Hägglund admitted this week that he feels some regrets about the way the previous government (he was part of) privatized a lot of the healthcare.

Granted he wasn’t part of region Stockholm local government but the national government set the direction. Hospital staffers here are reporting triage being in effect.

I hope we do get to talk about how right wing politics literally killed people when this is over.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I hope we do get to talk about how right wing politics literally killed people when this is over.
    Honestly, I think that the Coronavirus situation is the only thing that could result in Donald Trump not getting re-elected. Before this, I was certain he was a shoo-in. (I'm still far from certain he'll be defeated in the election.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

There's being prepared and then there's mania and obsession. If you have a BOB you're probably trending the wrong direction.

If this is in reference to the CLS bag mentioned: a CLS bag is not a BOB. A CLS bag, or Combat Life Saver bag, is a first aid bag with a bit more care and thought put into it than a cheap "first aid kit" you would buy at a drug store. And when I was in, CLS training included things like saline locks for IVs, nasopharyngeals etc. that are a bit more advanced than your basic first aid class so I pack my kit accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.