As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Valorant & Reky out today!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Today I discovered someone has made a program that lets you create a map from your Cities Skylines city
    p3rc8iqx9zxt.jpg

I love the modding community for this game.

Neat.
    ilplan8psc30.png

I've spent most of my time with the game lately removing stuff. The highway in the middle going up used to be two highways with an industrial area in the middle, a big farm to the right and a cargo import/storage district to the left. Removed most of it, put farms around the area and really extended the industrial area to the left (you can see some of the really big factories even at this scale), now I need to expand the farm area but focused on cattle pens, slaughterhouses, milking parlours, etc. and have the production basically cover the entire map rather than cram a little of everything into a single district.

I did the same with my ore industry. Moved a lot of the processing plants out into the main industry area and made a mine area just for extracting the ore.
    0tthd22pc6v9.png

Invisible roads really helped with that.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Yeah I am really loving the subdue mechanic in Chimera to the point where I am hoping somewhere on the tech tree there is an option to kit everyone out with tasers and ASP batons

I'm disturbed by how pleased I am to be copping the fuck out of people like just policing them literally to death

It does feel like the huge guy should subdue harder than other squaddies he's like fuckin four times the size of these perps

You can get nonlethal ammo for all your guns if you want to go that route.

Also there are a bunch of characters who are good at nonlethal. Verge, Zephyr, and Cherub can be made essentially completely nonlethal.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bind on the last enemy is an instant finish too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    More giveaways:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Open to the PA and PA Adventure club groups.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Today I discovered someone has made a program that lets you create a map from your Cities Skylines city
    p3rc8iqx9zxt.jpg

Search the workshop for your hometown. I got a map of West Kelowna B.C. off there and we're barely a 100k district

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    You can get heightmaps for pretty much everywhere in the world to varying degrees of resolution. There are both low radar heightmaps generated from Space Shuttle radar mapping projects and possibly higher resolution LiDAR heightmaps (or digital elevation models) for local areas depending on what free spatial data sources have been made available.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    welp, Novus ate another tractor. It fell in a hole and I tried to build a ramp to get it out, but the ramp was at the wrong angle and buried the rover. Dug the space out for another try, but the tractor was just gone.

(I say another because I latched a couple to the space shuttle to see what would happen. The cable snapped and I saw them spinning away; I doubt I'll ever find them again. I don't blame the game for that, of course.)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Can we take a moment to talk about how the Advent Speaker from XCOM 2 is entirely Joey Greco from Cheaters?
    4gxfd3yh16jw.png
    6nskhqof6c57.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Spent the night playing some more Trouble Shooter. I've finsihed my 10th mission and finally...gotten my third party member (You get guest party members very frequently to work with so your active team in missions is usually 5+, and I think one mission I had 15).

I'm really enjoying the characters even with the rough translation. Every character gets a personal mastery, which you have to choose when you recruit them (though for a price you can change it), and they're all very strong.

Also the game just unlocked the jukebox to play songs on and the game's main theme is super good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245qAOIPQvs

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    p3rc8iqx9zxt.jpg

Search the workshop for your hometown. I got a map of West Kelowna B.C. off there and we're barely a 100k district

I did find some maps for the Bristol area, but they don't expand far enough out to where I live. Anyway the traffic is an absolute nightmare in the real Bristol so I dread to think how it would be if I built a CS version.

@David_T what's the block of big pink squares in the middle of your city?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    That's the Liberal Arts campus. Used to be where the university campus was, but after I moved that outside the city (straight up from there), I moved the Liberal Arts over (you can just see where it used to be, a slightly scarcer populated area to the right in the city under the light blue rows).

That area is actually giving me some issues, I made it commercial with a leisure focus, but apparently I've downloaded some assets that are wider than the zones they're in, so I have to zone very carefully to leave room otherwise I have bars just spilling over into the road or into adjacent buildings. My bars are causing drunk building.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My best runs involve the glass cannon perk and shitting bombs down the chute

Scratch that my best Noita runs involve the glass cannon perk and the explosion immunity perk and two wands with the fucking hydrogen bomb spells

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    LudaNarraCon has made me add like eight games to my wishlist

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I meant "Ludo" but I'm leaving that typo

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Should I attempt to replay Valkyria chronicles?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Do you love anime

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    no one loves anime

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Speaking of replaying tactics games every couple of years I try to complete FF tactics without success
    How much game is there after Gaffgarion?

And why is it not on Steam?

Peas on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Wellp, Gears Tactics definitely goes to my wishlist. I will try to buy during some sale later this year.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    it's gonna be on Game Pass though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Playing Subnautica still and
    (Mid-game spoilers)
    although the general narrative has slowed down a lot since I fixed the Aurora reactors I'm still enjoying the loop of exploration and building stuff, which I imagine will be the case until I find more alien bases and hit some serious depths, which will require a matching escalation of the tech tree

at the very end of last night's session I built a Prawn and a Cyclops and that felt so rewarding as a stopping point, now I've just gotta build up the mod kit for each

don't worry Seamoth, I still adore you as a light solo vehicle that's efficient and maneuverable

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, Gears Tactics is on game pass day one aka tomorrow, it might be pre-loadable too but I cant check ATM

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I got three months of Game Pass bundled in with my AMD chipset so I'm very excited for this news

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    war of the chosen went on sale so I grabbed that and I've been playing it for a couple days

I also decided to play on uh...commander difficulty? the one that would be Hard in any other game.

it doesn't fuck around! this playthrough I've actually had to let troopers die or be captured in order to complete missions

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am going to wait to play XCOPS more. I keep getting crashes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wish rescuing captured soldiers was easier in War of the Chosen. I feel like I rarely got the option to do so, and by the time I did, those soldiers had been so far outpaced by the rest of my squad that they were essentially new recruits.

• Options
    marina sirtis' character got captured on the very final turn of an extraction mission

sectopods in this game can get fucked

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I put it down for now because it gave me a mandatory mission that I'm not sure it's possible for me to beat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Speaking of replaying tactics games every couple of years I try to complete FF tactics without success

god I don't remember
    I feel like that's 1/3 of the way through but it could be 1/2 of the way? the plot of FFT has never managed to stick in my head, it's always a blur of remembering a few events with no idea how they are spaced out and tons of missing connective material.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I put it down for now because it gave me a mandatory mission that I'm not sure it's possible for me to beat.

Yeah, the final mission of my first XCOPS investigation was hard as hell. Ended up clearing it with just two people left conscious after several tries, and I got to learn what happens when someone with a scar gets gravely wounded.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

god I don't remember
    I feel like that's 1/3 of the way through but it could be 1/2 of the way? the plot of FFT has never managed to stick in my head, it's always a blur of remembering a few events with no idea how they are spaced out and tons of missing connective material.

FFT is one of those games where everyone gushes about how deep and mature the story is and for the life of me can't remember a gat dang thing about it. I'm all about grinding these sweet jobs, not figuring out some dumb medieval political shit.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Troubleshooter feels like it’s just too much stuff for me, it’s exhausting. There are too many layered systems, there’s too much loot to deal with, the missions themselves are massively too long filled with enemies that are basically piñatas, there are too many arbitrary “what sort of NPC help do you want here” style choices, and all of these decisions and stuff are too muddy and insignificant to feel like there’s been a meaningful shift in character abilities. Even class changing doesn’t do anything noticeable, not even giving you a new spell immediately.

I’m sure there’s some good stuff there for if you really enjoy digging into it, but it reminds me of like, playing a late-stage f2p game like whatever gacha or dungeon fighter online where it’s just this maximalist blob that’s not gonna matter for like another 60 hours, except without the advantage of looking flashy and being fast paced.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Finished up with two games last week:

Trails of Cold Steel III came out on Steam. I like the series a lot (mostly the Trails in the Sky version), but the Cold Steel series has been a bit too much in the standard anime cliches and CSIII just goes further into that. Overall I still like the gameplay and most of the character writing, but there are some "why did they think this would be a good idea?"-moments.
    Spoilered for spoilers and for long:
    The Good:
    - The main cast (Rean, the main character, who was a student in the first two games, has now become a teacher at a newly created branch campus) is smaller than previous games, the main class is 3 students (with 2 more joining later) compared to the 9 members (with again 2 joining later) of the first game. There are also less students overall on campus and less staff. In a game that is really focused on "talk to everybody all the time", that's a good thing. Also basically all characters from 1 and 2 will show up at one point or another in this, often as guest party members, so keeping the main roster a bit lighter is ok and I like most of the new characters.
    - Both his students and former classmates love to dunk on Rean and he deserves it. He deserves all of it and more.
    - I like this mini-card game better than the one in the previous games.

The Bad:
    - Rean, the main character is a walking doormat. In the first two games this made some sense, because he was still a student and getting send on errands by teachers and staff. Now he's a teacher and a war hero and still doing all those. The game sometimes tries to justify it, by him saying to his students that they are the ones making the decisions to do certain quests, but it doesn't really work when Rean is the one doing all the talking, making all the decisions and running everywhere, even without the rest of the class. The only time he shows a bit of personality is when somebody displays any romantic interest in his sister.. and that is played for laughs.
    - Some of the writing tics are by now so overused: Wandering professor that you conveniently meet several major areas during the game turns out to have another agenda... that was a big surprise in the first game, now he immediately sets off all suspicion alerts. Fighting a named character with a bit of history? You know he's just going to stand up again without a scratch once you have brought that healthbar to zero (occasionally the game is fair enough to let you know that you only need to bring its HP down to 70% or so for a big name character). For that matter, most of the fights don't seem to have any impact at all on the story. There is also the whole trope with characters that seem silly turning out to be the most dangerous or competent, but most of those were already revealed in earlier games so not a really a point in this game specifically.
    - I'm used to Trails games often ending on a cliffhanger, but this is a cliffhanger in the middle of a fight.

The Ugly:
    There is some problematic content:
    - One of the new students, Musse, is constantly hitting on her teacher Rean. Usually in this series, you expect it to be a facade to hide something else, but nope, while she does have more going on, it's not a facade. Of course Rean is just going to smile awkwardly and try to change the subject, because he has the insight of a potato. You expect at one point one of the other staff members to have chat with her and at least transfer her to the other branch. Nope, she gets transferred *to* Rean's class.
    - There is a scene pretty early in the game, where one of the female villains molests one of the others. Probably intended to be comedic, but I found it really uncomfortable and put the game down for a couple of days.

To decompress after that 100+ hour game, something short and to the point:

Pyre: Finally got around to playing this. I like the gameplay in Transistor better, but like all Supergiant Games, this is a very solid game all around (haven't tried Hades yet. I do own it, but I wait till it's out of Early Access). Initially I was turned off by it being somewhat of a sports game, but the sports part is simple enough and the character writing more than makes up for it.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    It probably won't get much acclaim in a week when everyone talks about Chimera Squad, Gears Tactics and Troubleshooters, but Phantom Doctrine is currently on - 80 % sale on Steam.

• Options
    Phantom Doctrine is really good and I still strenuously recommend it. One of my top five games of 2019.

• Options
    is that the movenshoot where you're like...cold war spies?

This discussion has been closed.