As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Just purchased this game for the switch, and never played it before.

Should I just go in blind (plus all the Austin Walker talk about the game )?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

You might want to look up some optional quests as there is a cutoff point pretty early that locks you out of some pretty important stuff. The game gives you a little bit of a warning now so if you pay attention you will not miss it but I would read up. Otherwise maybe look into what each of the classes have to offer and how to get a solid build for each of them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

You might want to look up some optional quests as there is a cutoff point pretty early that locks you out of some pretty important stuff. The game gives you a little bit of a warning now so if you pay attention you will not miss it but I would read up. Otherwise maybe look into what each of the classes have to offer and how to get a solid build for each of them.

Thanks I will look into the quest cutoff points.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

Thanks I will look into the quest cutoff points.

basically check out here

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Quests

there are quests that auto fail once you progress the main story, and a few are pretty key (Quina and a side area)

check out the stages as well which can help you figure out when stuff will spawn and when to keep progressing story

Dragons Dogma is so great, its great sword is almost as satisfying as Monster Hunters

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    also like monster hunter, the greatsword's whole gimmick is out-DPSed by spamming its aerials

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    also like monster hunter, the greatsword's whole gimmick is out-DPSed by spamming its aerials

Yes, but perfectly landing an Arc of Dilverance is much more satisfying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So what exactly am I trying to do in this game? I started as a Strider, just switched to Ranger at level, been intending to go Magic Archer eventually.

I just reached Garan Soren or w/e (I guess that's obvious if I changed class) and went to the Pawn's Guild. The guy said to check out the well thingy or w/e so I started going down, but I just ran into this big ass hairy thing that wrecked my shit, and I killed it by getting it to fall down the shaft and gained like a level and a half, so I think maybe I wasn't necessarily supposed to go here yet?

My primary pawn is a fighter, and I have a mage that joined me when I was just starting.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So what exactly am I trying to do in this game? I started as a Strider, just switched to Ranger at level, been intending to go Magic Archer eventually.

I just reached Garan Soren or w/e (I guess that's obvious if I changed class) and went to the Pawn's Guild. The guy said to check out the well thingy or w/e so I started going down, but I just ran into this big ass hairy thing that wrecked my shit, and I killed it by getting it to fall down the shaft and gained like a level and a half, so I think maybe I wasn't necessarily supposed to go here yet?

My primary pawn is a fighter, and I have a mage that joined me when I was just starting.

You should reach a well/altar/throne thing at the bottom of the area beneath the guild that advances the story. You may be underleveled. Your party certainly is. Pawns besides your own don't gain levels so you should be swapping them for new ones as you go up in level. You don't always need a full party but definitely don't want members that are so far below your level.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Oh, huh. I just sort of assumed he would keep up, since he started with me, but that makes sense I guess.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Also that big hairy guy is bogus. He's wayyyy too strong for the level you are at to go down that we'll normally. I actually looked around online when I got there because, like you, I assumed I was at the wrong place.

Nope, he's just dumb. Looks like most people get lucky and he falls down the hole

Edit: in general I think the first part of the game has a big difficulty hump. Once you get more skills and money for items fights become more "I'm awesome!" and less "let me retry this fight against a random bandit on the road until he stops killing me dead..."

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Also that big hairy guy is bogus. He's wayyyy too strong for the level you are at to go down that we'll normally. I actually looked around online when I got there because, like you, I assumed I was at the wrong place.

Nope, he's just dumb. Looks like most people get lucky and he falls down the hole

Edit: in general I think the first part of the game has a big difficulty hump. Once you get more skills and money for items fights become more "I'm awesome!" and less "let me retry this fight against a random bandit on the road until he stops killing me dead..."

Haha, I got the thing to go look for whats her face in the woods west of the starting town, and after trying a couple of times, getting lucky, killing the first group of bandits, and then starting to walk down out of the pass just to get wiped again, I decided to farm a little, maybe run to the next big objective first before I head back over there.

Is there a good way to check what level I'm supposed to be for stuff?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Haha, I got the thing to go look for whats her face in the woods west of the starting town, and after trying a couple of times, getting lucky, killing the first group of bandits, and then starting to walk down out of the pass just to get wiped again, I decided to farm a little, maybe run to the next big objective first before I head back over there.

If it kills you too fast don't go that way?

But otherwise, not that I know of :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Generally the game is going to be much more difficult then other open world games. That's just how it is. The wiki might have suggested levels in when to tackle stuff if you want to check there. The game really expects you to know the intricacies of it's combat system pretty much from the word go so you should read up on them as well. Also for that bandit group try pulling one enemy at a time with a bow or spell. You will still get groups but they will be smaller and easier to handle. Lastly, either check here, Reddit, or the wiki and add someone as a friend do you can rent their badass level infinity mega pawn. You don't have to do this but if you ever get really stuck you can at least rent an over leveled healer pawn to keep you alive while you whittle down your foes.

• Options

Generally the game is going to be much more difficult then other open world games. That's just how it is. The wiki might have suggested levels in when to tackle stuff if you want to check there. The game really expects you to know the intricacies of it's combat system pretty much from the word go so you should read up on them as well. Also for that bandit group try pulling one enemy at a time with a bow or spell. You will still get groups but they will be smaller and easier to handle. Lastly, either check here, Reddit, or the wiki and add someone as a friend do you can rent their badass level infinity mega pawn. You don't have to do this but if you ever get really stuck you can at least rent an over leveled healer pawn to keep you alive while you whittle down your foes.

Yeah, my issue was mostly that the one bandit in the first group with a sword/shield was just significantly stronger than anyone else, and wrecking my whole party (to the point that the one time I beat him, I let my fighter pawn lead him over next to the cliff edge, and then knocked him off with repeated bow shots). I've since started over because I hadn't really gotten that far, just far enough to fail the Quina quest, so know that I know a little more I'm going to do this again.

Also, after looking at a bunch of stuff that all seems ridiculous, I think I'm going to level for a while on Strider, maybe dip into for fighter for a level or 10, some mage/sorcerer to try and pick up augments for my Magic Archer, which I'm just going to spend most of the game playing, because I don't have the energy to try and min/max stats.

• Options
    That's cool just remember to try and get new pawns every level or two, and don't forget to keep yours in up to date gear as well. Also, an early game suicide run into Bitter Black isle can be incredibly lucrative. It will make the game easier, if you ever get stuck again.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Min maxing levels isn't even really worth it in the end, because 95% of your stats is going to come from your gear. With that being said, don't be afraid to change you class if you need to. Some enemies are just impossible for some classes, while other classes will clown them. You can spend the entire game as a warrior and then throw on some mage robes and still be completely proficient at the class.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    In Gransys, enemies often vary by time of day. Those rather tough bandits on the Southwestern path to Witchwood past the Encampment aren't there at night, it's all lowbie-fodder wolves. If you set out from Cassardis around sunset, you should see naught but Wolves as soon as you turn onto that path, known as Manamia Trail.

To make better time, you can take the path through Dripstone Cave via the old Cassardis well. If you can't handle the Saurians or lower-level bandits, just keep your lantern dry and run past them all to the exit. It lets out right where Seabreeze Trail meets Manamia Trail, behind the Encampment.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    With regard to min/maxing at end game yes, your offensive and defensive stats will be massively outweighed by your gear with one exception, your hp. So if you want a simple stat distribution you should level as fighter then I think warrior to level 100. There is no end game ring or piece of gear to massively boost your health like there is for everything else.

Damn this the only game I feel like installing every time I talk about it.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    What?

• Options
    It still has some life. Somehow.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I can only hope it goes all the way to the end so all the weirdness about the setting is shared with viewers.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I can only hope it goes all the way to the end so all the weirdness about the setting is shared with viewers.

If it addresses the shit with the King that'd be great

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Grabbed this on the steam sale and hey, it turns out all those people I've seen recommending it may have had a point! Love the pawn system and I'm fighting the urge to restart because now I understand the vocations/pawns a little more and I'm getting that usual RPG urge of "Oh, but what about this class? They have those other cool skills too!"

Flipped from Mage to Sorcerer (Sorceress?) a few levels back. I'm at 21 now, kinda wish some of the cool pawns I find from other people would level with me but the variety's neat too, grabbing new ones every few levels.

A few minor annoyances that maybe there's a workaround for I wasn't aware of...
    -It's been a little annoying sometimes trying to figure out if I'm walking into an area that I'm too low level for. Just getting into the habit of saving frequently. As the pawns have told me, there's no shame in bravely running away.
    -Items tell me they're used in crafting weapons and armor, but I've yet to learn how to craft weapons/armor. I'm in Gran Soren and I've helped the guy at the blacksmith, hoping that would unlock that functionality. Am I close? Totally missed it? or a ways off yet?
    -Absolute worst part about this game is that when I'm done for the night, I have to exit to the main menu to then exit to desktop. Gonna start saving and then ALT+F4ing before long :lol:

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sometimes if you release a Pawn and then recruit them again they may have gone up in level. Doesn’t hurt to check.

Pawns, provided they have the knowledge, may tell you if something is possibly out of your league. Otherwise yeah, just experience teaches you what’s safe or not. There is a notorious spot not far from the starting village that is there to teach you this lesson that not everywhere is safe.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping the anime has a "Masterworks all!" etc reference in it somewhere, as well as some of the pawn dialogue that became somewhat meme-ified.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Grabbed this on the steam sale and hey, it turns out all those people I've seen recommending it may have had a point! Love the pawn system and I'm fighting the urge to restart because now I understand the vocations/pawns a little more and I'm getting that usual RPG urge of "Oh, but what about this class? They have those other cool skills too!"

Flipped from Mage to Sorcerer (Sorceress?) a few levels back. I'm at 21 now, kinda wish some of the cool pawns I find from other people would level with me but the variety's neat too, grabbing new ones every few levels.

A few minor annoyances that maybe there's a workaround for I wasn't aware of...
    -It's been a little annoying sometimes trying to figure out if I'm walking into an area that I'm too low level for. Just getting into the habit of saving frequently. As the pawns have told me, there's no shame in bravely running away.
    -Items tell me they're used in crafting weapons and armor, but I've yet to learn how to craft weapons/armor. I'm in Gran Soren and I've helped the guy at the blacksmith, hoping that would unlock that functionality. Am I close? Totally missed it? or a ways off yet?
    -Absolute worst part about this game is that when I'm done for the night, I have to exit to the main menu to then exit to desktop. Gonna start saving and then ALT+F4ing before long :lol:

You don't actually craft weapons. You do use materials to upgrade them at Caxton though. What's needed varies with the gear and upgrade level.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    There are also many quests you can get locked out of easily so I recommend checking out the wiki. Should also help with the crafting stuff.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Disappointing. Not a single NPC thrown off a cliff.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    They gotta save SOMETHING for the actual show instead of having everything in the trailer.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I like how Capcom recognises the game is popular enough to give us both an online MMO and an anime series, but not the fucking sequel that everyone actually wants.

• Options
    Resident Evil remakes are doing more for them at the moment.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Resident Evil remakes are doing more for them at the moment.

I am not exactly mad about some of the remakes. I think everyone was ready for RE2 for instance. 4 is probably the next really hype one. Don't know why they bother with most of the others.

• Options
    A next-gen game could be announced any moment.

Are the RE games made with Unreal Engine?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Wtf

I love dragons dogma. But why is this franchise acting like it’s done massive hit when it’s really just some underated gem most people missed?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Wtf

I love dragons dogma. But why is this franchise acting like it’s done massive hit when it’s really just some underated gem most people missed?

It's surpassed 1 million sales which isn't a megahit but also isn't a tiny number either. It also performed better in its PC release than the vast majority of other Capcom games up to that point.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ha! I was that pessimist guy last year.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Bastard modding the game so he can have a Magick Archer pawn...

He knows that can break other people's saves, right?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Developer builds. :D

I recall some DD:DA reviewers having pawns with advanced vocations.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

This discussion has been closed.