As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legends of Tomorrow Flash by like an Arrow!

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Really want the Tomazes to just slowly take over the entire cast

Just Zaris and Behrads all the way down

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ahahaha
    In the fight against the repeats. When the Legends get the hell weapons and they shoot the first guy, Custer, and only Custer, turns and runs away! Suck it coward!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Legends
    I'm still reeling over the Sisqo cameo tbh. Perfect

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Legends finale. I cannot believe
    that they actually brought in Sisqo for that. I mean I can, because it's this show.

So it seemed like that was an actual exit from the show for Maisie Richardson-Sellers (who I've just learned, from making sure I was spelling her name right, was in The Force Awakens)? Pretty fitting way to cap off the character, especially because when she was up on stage singing I was suddenly reminded that man, this same person was Amaya.

Sad about Zari leaving again but at least we still have Zari. And Zari can always pop up again.

For a second I wondered if they'd throw some shade at Vandal Savage by having him appear as the lowest-ranked villain

• Options
    Maisie was in TFA for like two seconds on Hosnian Prime, the planet that blew up. The camera does focus on her, for what it's worth

I've heard the deleted scenes have more Hosnian stuff, including Leia's representative to the Republic. Maybe that was her?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I can see both sides in doing this as they didn't want to hand wave Ruby Rose away but to toss all the character development away from the first season is rough.

I'll wait to see how they do it, but the justification for keeping Kates dad/nice sister/evil sister/ex GF/other ex GF around with this new character is going to need a lot of hand waving.
    I really can't see the harm in just using another actress for the same character and not mentioning it further, it's not like it's a difficult concept for viewers to grasp.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So far the "Kate's character is being set aside for a new one" thing is based on a single source: The Decider, who reported based on a post on Reddit, which used a screenshot of a casting call listing the new character's name (the screenshot itself no longer available where it was originally posted), supposedly sourced from Breakdown Express (a real site only for talent agents and agencies). This may or may not be real, though the leaker claims to have leaked other accurate casting news in the past for Arrowverse stuff (I couldn't find anything in his posting history but I didn't go back far). If accurate, presumably the screenshot was deleted for legal reasons.

Still, it's such a headass move to toss away all the development from season 1 I'll believe it when WB announces it. (WB makes headass moves with their comic book films all the time, but the TV division is generally competent; it's Marvel that's more frequently headass about TV.)

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I just really would like them to get to the Detective Comics arc where Batwoman leads her own team (composed of, if I remember right, Red Robin, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain and Clayface), the villains are the Crows trying to take over the city, and her loyalties are torn between her dad and her Bat-family, and it ends sorta dark

It was by far the best Batwoman stuff I’ve read

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm not the same person now that I know the Legends season finale could have been called

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Catching up on Legends (have 2 episodes to go)

I love that you can take any two characters on the team and immediately know their relationship/how they react to each other like it's a Pokémon type chart. And each pair is different (I realized this after reading an AV Club review that pointed out Ava has such a specific distaste/annoyance for Gary and Gary alone)

Also that the team knows if you find a teammate fuckin', you just walk away and give them props (especially if it's two teammates)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    About the Legends finale, but not.
    Got the urge to watch the original Thong Song MV on YouTube as you do, and most of the comments are variations on "who's here because of Legends? "and "Nate was right!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So is Lucifer correctly pronouncing Constantine's name the low key best moment in all of COIE?

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hartley-sawyer-fired-flash-misogynist-tweets-surface-1297483

Ralph Dibney's actor fired for writing some pretty fucked up stuff on Twitter in 2012.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fuckin gross and good riddance

I doubt they'll recast the character, which is a shame because Sue seemed really fun! (I'm like 5 episodes behind though and only saw the one episode with their adventures)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I doubt they'll recast the character, which is a shame because Sue seemed really fun! (I'm like 5 episodes behind though and only saw the one episode with their adventures)

On the other hand, if there was ever a character designed to be recast, it would be the shape shifter.
    I mean, that's less of a leap than Dr. Who's recasting.

• Options
    I was trying to think of a way to keep Sue in the fold, but without Ralph or a real connection to Team Flash, it'll feel super weird to have her and not Ralph.

Maybe next season they could recast him and blame the change on the Crisis event.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

On the other hand, if there was ever a character designed to be recast, it would be the shape shifter.
    I mean, that's less of a leap than Dr. Who's recasting.

With how the last season ended [Flash spoilers]
    Maybe both Sue and Ralph are accused of killing Carver and Ralph changes his face to still work and be out in the open.

Easiest way to recast him

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Well that explains that!

James Robinson wrote episode 4 of Stargirl.

Quick, someone have a discussion with me about it!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Well that explains that!

It seems like a good character.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I was trying to think of a way to keep Sue in the fold, but without Ralph or a real connection to Team Flash, it'll feel super weird to have her and not Ralph.

Maybe next season they could recast him and blame the change on the Crisis event.
    Give Sue his powers and call her Elongated Woman.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Well that explains that!

It seems like a good character.

Oh definitely agree.

But I’m mostly talking about
    The little teases of the Starman legacy that were refined in James Robinson’s spectacular early 90’s Starman run, in which at the end of the run the reluctant hero Jack Knight passes the mantle over to Cassie, as well as constructing one of the best character back stories, personality and nuance for the “villain”, The Shade.

This show is quickly becoming my favorite DC TV show.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So far the "Kate's character is being set aside for a new one" thing is based on a single source: The Decider, who reported based on a post on Reddit, which used a screenshot of a casting call listing the new character's name (the screenshot itself no longer available where it was originally posted), supposedly sourced from Breakdown Express (a real site only for talent agents and agencies). This may or may not be real, though the leaker claims to have leaked other accurate casting news in the past for Arrowverse stuff (I couldn't find anything in his posting history but I didn't go back far). If accurate, presumably the screenshot was deleted for legal reasons.

Still, it's such a headass move to toss away all the development from season 1 I'll believe it when WB announces it. (WB makes headass moves with their comic book films all the time, but the TV division is generally competent; it's Marvel that's more frequently headass about TV.)

If the showrunner's talking about it, I'd say it's pretty much confirmed:
    Batwoman's Showrunner Considered a 'Soap Opera'-Style Recast, But Ultimately Decided Against It
    Presumably they mean soap opera as in a voice saying "The part of Kate Kane will now be played by this person", but this really feels like a bad move.
    If you want an example of how it's done with the minimum of fuss, call it a Dumbledore-style recast, or a Bruce Banner-style recast; you change the actor, some people no-one cares about whine about it online, and you carry on with the story.
    So by avoiding the elephant in the room of why an established character is being portrayed by a different actress, they instead have a herd of elephants in the room for why this new character should have any relation to Kate Kanes nice sister, or her evil sister, or her cop dad, or her two ex GFs. Much neater.

I feel like the next year of DC shows are shaping up to be underwhelming, might be time to wrap it up.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Batwoman's Showrunner Considered a 'Soap Opera'-Style Recast, But Ultimately Decided Against It
    Presumably they mean soap opera as in a voice saying "The part of Kate Kane will now be played by this person", but this really feels like a bad move.
    If you want an example of how it's done with the minimum of fuss, call it a Dumbledore-style recast, or a Bruce Banner-style recast; you change the actor, some people no-one cares about whine about it online, and you carry on with the story.
    So by avoiding the elephant in the room of why an established character is being portrayed by a different actress, they instead have a herd of elephants in the room for why this new character should have any relation to Kate Kanes nice sister, or her evil sister, or her cop dad, or her two ex GFs. Much neater.

I feel like the next year of DC shows are shaping up to be underwhelming, might be time to wrap it up.

When I hear soap opera recast it makes me think of "You suffered horrible face injuries when you secret sister attacked you wth acid, but the surgeons did the best they could. Here is a mirror, see for yourself"

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Which was a thing being proposed, given that her evil sister can create magic face masks out of random scraps.
    I just think asking people to accept that characters are portrayed by actors shouldn't be a huge ask. If they wanted to keep that a secret, maybe they shouldn't tell them with end credits!

klemming on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They really should make an original IP if they don't think character names and backstories are important. People care a lot about the Kat Kane character, it's not just "a woman who dresses like a bat... any woman really."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

When I hear soap opera recast it makes me think of "You suffered horrible face injuries when you secret sister attacked you wth acid, but the surgeons did the best they could. Here is a mirror, see for yourself"

To be fair, horrible facial injuries and plastic surgeons reconstructing faces would be entirely on brand for Batwoman.

• Options
    Does Stargirl go here? Anyway, caught up to current.
    Starting at "my Dad might be Starman" in the first episode and ending the fourth with "JSA: Teenagers With Attitude" is kind of a jump. Entertaining and hilarious, but still a jump.

sig.gif
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I can see both sides in doing this as they didn't want to hand wave Ruby Rose away but to toss all the character development away from the first season is rough.

I'll wait to see how they do it, but the justification for keeping Kates dad/nice sister/evil sister/ex GF/other ex GF around with this new character is going to need a lot of hand waving.
    I really can't see the harm in just using another actress for the same character and not mentioning it further, it's not like it's a difficult concept for viewers to grasp.

Yeah I just finished season 1 and everything except for Luke Fox revolves around Batwoman being Kate

Changing to a new character seems like the first part of the season will be messy. Maybe if they could get Ruby Rose for an episode or two? but that seems very unlikely

• Options
    Something funny/interesting about Batwoman (mild spoilers for one of the last episodes of season 1)
    When Alice puts on the glasses and reads Lucius's journal, what's on screen is copy/pasted from the Wikipedia for the Batsuit. Specifically, it's the section describing the Suit of Sorrows from the 2007 storyline The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul (it references Ra's and Talia).

I just thought it was funny at first because it was literally from Wikipedia and it had nothing to do with what the characters gleemed from the journal (that kryptonite is the only thing left that will penetrate Batwoman's suit)

Now I wonder if it's actually a hint at Azrael showing up next season. I don't see them involving the al Ghuls (even though I would love for Talia and/or Nyssa to show up) since they were involved in basically 7 out of 8 seasons of Arrow (plus Ra's is dead and the League of Assassins is now the League of Heroes lead by Thea and Talia)

Obviously this was all before Ruby Rose quit, but it would have been neat if we got an Azrael storyline to pass the mantle before she left

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    I will re-iterate my desire to have Constantine sporting a beard next season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    In another blow to DC Universe, Stargirl has been renewed for season 2 on just CW

• Options
    DC Universe was a good idea with terrible timing. I'll miss the platform, but if everything ends up on HBO Max -- a service I get for free from AT&T -- then I can't really be too upset.

Does anyone know is everything on DC Universe is moving over? Or will DC Universe still exist, but lose most of its exclusives and hit shows?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If HBO Max gets the entire DCAU I'll finally get it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Hopefully Stargirl can avoid the pitfalls that the Arrow-verse shows fell into.

And their budget isn't cut to $5 and a ham sandwich.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Stargirl season 1 was filmed in Atlanta, same as Black Lightning, so hopefully they won't move it to Vancouver like the other shows

It has a very different setting than the arrowverse

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Icicle's ancestors are...from Niflheim? Is that why he has his powers?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought that was super interesting and I’m not familiar enough but I think that’s a new backstory? It’s neat

• Options
    Just started and caught up with Stargirl over the weekend.

I really like it! It's more lighthearted than the Arrowverse (Legends not withstanding), but definitely has some dark moments, especially when you have teen superheroes running around fighting villains who are willing to kill and have been in this business for decades.

Plus, for the most part, it is avoiding some of the Arrowverse tropes
    Though it is getting into the "don't tell my teammates something that is important" territory that will create artificial drama.

That seems to be a Berlanti staple.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    that is a comic book staple