Options

[Webcomics]? In this economy?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

take yer bets on what's gonna happen

I think it's going to be like one of those post-episode Bleach omake segments

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    White chain is all sarcastic now! Love her character progression.

transcendent

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah, White Chain.
    "You built your own prison" is definitely a theme with all the demiurges we've seen. Mottom's immortality, Mammon's hoard, Solomon David's "perfect" realm...

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

Who would've thought, that Salamy Dave was big believer in Doody.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    echoes of what TOK said to Allison in the prison

still, it's not like Solomon maintains that there is any deception, even self-deception. He calls himself a tyrant and he calls his rule a responsibility, he sets the standard of 'beating him' at the laissez-faire level of being able to beat him outside of the ring at any time, with the vague handwaving justification of the external Hobbesian war. Within the ritualized exhibition of the regular ring, the standard is even lower - you don't have to beat him, just draw a drop of blood. Solomon does not maintain that he will find a worthy successor that can beat him. Indeed the bar is set insultingly low, precisely because he's incredibly confident in his strength

WC muttering "yeah that arrogance isn't misplaced dude, you're going to be emperor forever at this rate" from under his sandal doesn't... quite come off like an own? Hell yeah he's proud of it, he struts around preening about his incredible self-sacrifice being god-emperor: such a step down from being ~TRUE ROYALTY~, whatever that is. Solomon doesn't seem unaware of the possibility of just walking away so that he can Find Himself in true self-enlightenment - he (and the other more communicative members of the seven) seem aware that they didn't beat the Old/Conquering King either, the old guy just upped and left. Which eventually led to, uh, them being in charge, after beating the numerous lesser kings. All in all that's not a great record for abandoning 'the wheel', self-made prison or not.

It's not quite the same dynamic as Mottom, who pleads for change she doesn't dare just YOLO embrace, because actually she doesn't have independent power, she's dependent on The System herself, specifically The System where her bureaucrats and princelings farm more worlds to feed her husband/tree that gives her eternal youth. Solomon doesn't have such self-imposed illusions or apparent weaknesses - he doesn't age either, even without a tree, and he can keep his bureaucrats in line. Mottom doesn't dare choose, but Solomon seems to have made that conscious choice, so calling him out for it feels... flat? idk

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

still, it's not like Solomon maintains that there is any deception, even self-deception. He calls himself a tyrant and he calls his rule a responsibility, he sets the standard of 'beating him' at the laissez-faire level of being able to beat him outside of the ring at any time, with the vague handwaving justification of the external Hobbesian war. Within the ritualized exhibition of the regular ring, the standard is even lower - you don't have to beat him, just draw a drop of blood. Solomon does not maintain that he will find a worthy successor that can beat him. Indeed the bar is set insultingly low, precisely because he's incredibly confident in his strength

WC muttering "yeah that arrogance isn't misplaced dude, you're going to be emperor forever at this rate" from under his sandal doesn't... quite come off like an own? Hell yeah he's proud of it, he struts around preening about his incredible self-sacrifice being god-emperor: such a step down from being ~TRUE ROYALTY~, whatever that is. Solomon doesn't seem unaware of the possibility of just walking away so that he can Find Himself in true self-enlightenment - he (and the other more communicative members of the seven) seem aware that they didn't beat the Old/Conquering King either, the old guy just upped and left. Which eventually led to, uh, them being in charge, after beating the numerous lesser kings. All in all that's not a great record for abandoning 'the wheel', self-made prison or not.

It's not quite the same dynamic as Mottom, who pleads for change she doesn't dare just YOLO embrace, because actually she doesn't have independent power, she's dependent on The System herself, specifically The System where her bureaucrats and princelings farm more worlds to feed her husband/tree that gives her eternal youth. Solomon doesn't have such self-imposed illusions or apparent weaknesses - he doesn't age either, even without a tree, and he can keep his bureaucrats in line. Mottom doesn't dare choose, but Solomon seems to have made that conscious choice, so calling him out for it feels... flat? idk

I think what WC is pointing out is that Solomon enjoys being King of Polished Turd Mountain, that his notion of "duty" and "responsibility" is just a mask hiding the ugly truth; he likes being a tyrant.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think there is a level of self-deception though, in that SD believes that these artifices of his rule are a duty/responsibility that he must bear

Once you impose those limits on yourself, at what point have you lost control?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I think there is a level of self-deception though, in that SD believes that these artifices of his rule are a duty/responsibility that he must bear

Once you impose those limits on yourself, at what point have you lost control?

He convinced himself that the nation be built with blood can only be ruled by blood.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I mean, hasn't it? the lore text says that aside from his sons, he recruits those who submitted to him in the arena as liege lords and planetary governors

and that his empire is the only one where there is actual order and rule of law (not justice though because let's be real) so there is some measure of stability, of continuation, of standards that are upheld for good or bad

blood worked, is what I'm getting at

say what you will about Salami Dave, but an incompetent emperor he is not

his pride won't allow him dereliction of duty

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

I think what WC is pointing out is that Solomon enjoys being King of Polished Turd Mountain, that his notion of "duty" and "responsibility" is just a mask hiding the ugly truth; he likes being a tyrant.

Yeah. There is a lot going on here. First being that obviously it’s foolish to pretend that might makes one a better ruler but also the entire idea that Solomon has set up an insultingly easy challenge is itself deception. Solomon slaughtered the monks who knew the style of combat that would grant him the ability to slay a god. He maybe slew a demiurge when the power was only divided in seven but I’m guessing it was actually before that when the power of Kong’s was divided up into more. Now he is the last master of the most powerful fighting style enhanced by one seventh of divine power and then to top it off his perfect body doesn’t age.

He tricks both the contestants and us into thinking there could possibly be a fair fight with him but he has gained access to heaven and then burned the ladder. He sits among the clouds yelling to all bellow that if they only had his strength and wisdom they would build their own ladders.

It’s all self-deception. The tournament is a lie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    More succinctly is Solomons deception is that he tells people he only demands that someone be as good as he was but in reality he requires that they be so much better.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, hasn't it? the lore text says that aside from his sons, he recruits those who submitted to him in the arena as liege lords and planetary governors

and that his empire is the only one where there is actual order and rule of law (not justice though because let's be real) so there is some measure of stability, of continuation, of standards that are upheld for good or bad

Stability but poverty. He still has people building a Colosseum on their own backs. Don’t think that’s an accident.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    indeed from a storytelling perspective Solomon must be shown to embody some contradiction in his self-identity, he must do something unnecessary that can't be remotely handwaved as part of some Kung Fu Mystical Bullshit

but ... that's not what is currently happening? e.g. WC making this remark at a politely strained dinner party where everyone is nervously picking at their hors d'oeuvres and Solomon has no excuses to retaliate and must politely smile and take it, yeah, that would make sense for that particular line of attack. Everyone at a party theoretically enjoying themselves, truth bomb "you're enjoying this too much" deployed, booyeah

WC slamming Solomon for engaging in ridiculously performative combat to satisfy some personal fit of pique, a day after challenging Solomon to yet another round of ridiculously performative combat to satisfy some personal fit of pique, doesn't quite come off the same way? Solomon's not the one who asked for yet another round before the arena audience. Yeah he's hamming it up to hell and back, but he actually didn't ask for it. And WC is only making this point after getting decisively beat into the ground - even at the start she's all WITNESS ME YISUN for the crowd to see. It doesn't come off as a hot take inasmuch as sour grapes

it might be the intended point but the narrative is then doing it a disservice...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Perhaps what she's getting at is Solomon's selling the lie that his system is a meritocracy, when the meritocracy part is just a hollow show for him to show off in with no actual possibility of his ever giving up his power?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Stability but poverty. He still has people building a Colosseum on their own backs. Don’t think that’s an accident.

oh again, definitely, definitely not a just ruler

but a competent and stable one

which, frankly, is more than can be said for his contemporaries

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

oh again, definitely, definitely not a just ruler

but a competent and stable one

which, frankly, is more than can be said for his contemporaries

But his competency is only in the sense that he holds on to power. His people still live a mostly Greek or Roman style life after how many years of his rule? He holds his people back to keep them from ever being able to challenge him. I would argue that isn’t just unjust. It’s actively bad rule.
    Perhaps what she's getting at is Solomon's selling the lie that his system is a meritocracy, when the meritocracy part is just a hollow show for him to show off in with no actual possibility of his ever giving up his power?

I think this is at the core of it but another wrinkle is that he claims to want to lose. He says that if he found someone to sit at his throne he could continue to the rest step on the path to royalty and yet instead of nurturing and training those who could challenge him he does the bare minimum. A half-baked impossible tournament. He could find someone to replace him if he really cared to.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I think that's just because in the K6BD universe, doing things in ways that are sweaty and muscly is usually effective.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

I think that's just because in the K6BD universe, doing things in ways that are sweaty and muscly is usually effective.

Planes with greater tech levels exist. Hell ours does. Solomon builds a “utopia” that just so happens to build its stability on no one being able to rise to challenge its ruler. It cannot do so with sheer power because he has all of it. It cannot do so with technique because he learned the greatest fighting style in the multiverse and then made sure not a soul other than he knows it, it cannot do so through technology because he keeps them from it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    yeah lets not get into how technology works and doesn't work across the multiverse because there are Some Issues concerning Void transfer but I don't think this is a material issue as much as it is an ethical one

do you define the duty of a ruler to see to the advancement and progression of a people? should they aspire to set them free from the shackles of state as much as possible or provide them with every service they could possibly need so they may never aspire to develop an independent civil society? is a serf who knows he shall forever be fed, be protected, his grievances redressed (if not necessarily resolved to his satisfaction) under worse rule than a freeman who must always labor for their meal, their home, their claim on property or ownership?

this is some high falutin shit that I don't think K6BD tries to converse with in a particularly deep way, but your mileage may very depending on how you perceive government should act

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Planes with greater tech levels exist. Hell ours does. Solomon builds a “utopia” that just so happens to build its stability on no one being able to rise to challenge its ruler. It cannot do so with sheer power because he has all of it. It cannot do so with technique because he learned the greatest fighting style in the multiverse and then made sure not a soul other than he knows it, it cannot do so through technology because he keeps them from it.
    Yeah, there's high tech worlds, but as far as I can tell martial artist monks can fight on parity with musketeers. It's a magic kung-fu world, a place having a low-tech aesthetic doesn't mean it's underdeveloped.

• Options
    yeah lets not get into how technology works and doesn't work across the multiverse because there are Some Issues concerning Void transfer but I don't think this is a material issue as much as it is an ethical one

do you define the duty of a ruler to see to the advancement and progression of a people? should they aspire to set them free from the shackles of state as much as possible or provide them with every service they could possibly need so they may never aspire to develop an independent civil society? is a serf who knows he shall forever be fed, be protected, his grievances redressed (if not necessarily resolved to their satisfaction) under worse rule than a freeman who must always labor for their meal, their home, their claim on property or ownership?

this is some high falutin shit that I don't think K6BD tries to converse with in a particularly deep way, but your mileage may very depending on how you perceive government should act

I think it matters because that attitude is reflected in his treatment of loser boyfriend. He implies that loser boyfriend could take over for him and yet does he nurture him in any way? Does he teach him to fight? By all accounts loser boyfriend seems to just get shuttles around wanting for nothing but not being allowed to grow. Imagine Solomon’s shock when the boy who he never really gave a chance doesn’t prosper.

That is this tournament and that is his people and it reflects a self-deception on Solomon’s part.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    kaliadb5yqbp.jpg
    Penny Arcade

I think not knowing what mixer is (or was?) makes this strip make less sense to me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    kaliadb5yqbp.jpg
    Penny Arcade

I think not knowing what mixer is (or was?) makes this strip make less sense to me.

Livestreaming platform, a (now) failed competitor to Twitch.

• Options
    uf0yzaphetqi.png
    A last, that Dumbing of Age storyline is over. Now we can have flashbacks to it!

• Options
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    kaliadb5yqbp.jpg
    Penny Arcade

It was a live streaming service, intended to be a competitor to Twitch. Focused on getting very low latency so viewers could interact with streams in as close to real time as possible, but I never investigated it enough to see if anyone was doing anything interesting with that. Microsoft bought Mixer a few years back, but then Microsoft announced a partnership with Facebook to get it all up in the guts of the next XBox. And as part of that deal Mixer apparently had to die, because Facebook has its own streaming service that no one wants to use. So fuck all the streamers they made big promises to in order to lure them away from Twitch, who will now get to rebuild their communities from scratch a third time.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    91ap0dcsf241.png
    Questionable Content
    continues its war on hair.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I've worked in the restaurant industry a relatively short amount of time

But every place I've ever worked has had on-site hair clippers, in one form or another

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    d5h4hiz5uwd5.png
    Widdershins I missed a few up dates
    But freezers of this era magical Victorian are well dangerous as hell from using sulfur dioxide or ammonia and the safeties was a lot harder to find out about as they do appear when walk in freezers do but also in the 1920's and 1950's?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

But every place I've ever worked has had on-site hair clippers, in one form or another

If I had to guess?

"Sorry, we're out of hairnets, you either go home for the day without pay or you buzz it."

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    statler wrote: »

Come on, a pretty girl kissing Paul in order to jump start his creative drive, that's... well...
    https://youtu.be/4An1BrG2u_4

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    A restaurant haircut seems like an ideal way to smuggle tiny hairs into the foods of unsuspecting patrons

I am very discerning when it comes to cuisine so if I enter a food establishment and see someone getting a haircut I would not stay there

Hobnail on
  • Options
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    d5h4hiz5uwd5.png
    Widdershins I missed a few up dates
    But freezers of this era magical Victorian are well dangerous as hell from using sulfur dioxide or ammonia and the safeties was a lot harder to find out about as they do appear when walk in freezers do but also in the 1920's and 1950's?

Gren has no patience for flirting idiots.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That said I have definitely eaten at pubs where I would have not been surprised to look into the kitchen and see a haircut happeninf

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That said I have definitely eaten at pubs where I would have not been surprised to look into the kitchen and see a haircut happeninf

I mean, if you're not shaving dogs in your pub kitchen I don't know where you're getting your hangover cures from.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

If I had to guess?

"Sorry, we're out of hairnets, you either go home for the day without pay or you buzz it."

my experience with working in restaurants is that they are so chronically understaffed is that they'd rather just hope no one notices the occasional hair in their food.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    White Chain is pointing out how weird it is to like sidle up to anthill, declare yourself KING OF ANTS, proclaim that ANY ANT ABLE TO JUDO-THROW YOU SHALL BECOME THE NEW RIGHTFUL RULER and then pay a lot of dedicated attention to that and use it as evidence that you're being an incredible humanitarian.

He's built himself a very silly society to distract himself from having actual responsibilities. All he has are safe, pretend responsibilities that never require vulnerability. No one can hurt him, and none of his charity can be accepted.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
This discussion has been closed.